ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Doyle says Zach should go into the portal

If it was $8 million I think it would be good business. His draft stock likely will never be higher than this year, but if eight million was realistic he would be back for sure. I don't think that number is realistic...at all. A first round draft pick should make around $2 million to $10 million plus endorsements. First pick is about $10 million and it goes down 10% each pick after that.
Edey could arguably make more in endorsements than in salary in the NBA.
Shaq is a good example, although he's got a huge personality, he's been out of the NBA for what, 15 years and he's all over the TV with commercials.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
30th pick in this year's draft is probably worth close to $8mil guaranteed. Really good money obviously, but the 2nd contract is where these guys become wealthy. One would want to get the clock started as quickly as possible. The caveat is obviously getting picked by a team or high enough where they're truly invested in the player and give him the opportunity to thrive.
what do the top players make in overseas leagues?

1. He will get drafted.
2. No one is paying more than Purdue will...we will match any offer.
3. He's not leaving his team to go play somewhere else. Dickinson is a cautionary tale.
4. If he stays in college (at Purdue), back-to-back-to-back NPOY and a national title...maybe an undefeated season.

All of this times 100. He came back to show he can defend better and lost weight. He went from the 400th player to 2 time national player of the year. Why would he want to play for another college coach besides the one that helped him develop from an unknown to a 2 time NPOY?

If the NBA doesnt work out, Europe will pay him 2 mill or so a year, so money isnt the issue, Purdue paid him plenty. The issue is he wants the best chance to make the NBA. He is smart, it seems his mom is smart too. They are listening to the right people. I am not 100% sure Eddy has a good NBA career because of how the NBA has changed.

Personally I think Eddy will make a very good NBA rotational player. His size will still be tough on people to get by, and his size will still be great around the rim. But if it doesnt work, Europe would love to have him. Its time for him to move on and start his pro career. I am sad to see him go, but excited to see what he can do at the next level.

what do the top players make in overseas leagues?

2-4 million, plus they pay for housing expenses, so its a net 2-4 million. Not sure about Canadian tax laws, so cant speak to that and i doubt he becomes an American citizen if he ends up in Europe.

Edey could arguably make more in endorsements than in salary in the NBA.
Shaq is a good example, although he's got a huge personality, he's been out of the NBA for what, 15 years and he's all over the TV with commercials.
Shaq is a HOFer and an NBA commentator. That probably has a lot to do with his longevity as a spokesperson. So, I'd say that's a bad comp.

Who is Tim Doyle?
wulf-boy-wbsc.gif

Shaq made Shazam while still a player. Although he was famous before he made that movie. Edey needs more face time with the media and publicity! I could envision Edey becoming an evil villain in the next Spider-Man or marvel movie. He has that evil sarcastic. Smile!

Or maybe he could join the Mon Stars in the next Space Jam movie!

Edey needs more publicity. And a better marketing agent. I know the perfect guy for the job.

Reactions: FiveWeight
He can always suit up for a minor league hockey team like Manute Bol did. You know he played hockey, right?

He thinks Zach is making a mistake leaving college. He says he can make a multimillion dollar deal if he goes into the portal because Doyle has not heard any NBA scout say, "What we really need is Zach Edey."
I'm guessing here, but I think Zach could maybe...make more in one year at a Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, or Tennessee than he'll make in year one as a pro. He'll be drafted low first round or high second.

I'm guessing here, but I think Zach could maybe...make more in one year at a Kentucky, UCLA, Kansas, or Tennessee than he'll make in year one as a pro. He'll be drafted low first round or high second.
I wouldn't necessarily disagree in terms of cash available, but realistically all of those programs are pulling for/buying blue chip talent...none of which is going to want to feed it inside to the post for 1 season.

Reactions: Abugabby
Zach is loyal to Purdue, he's not going to bail to some other program for one season. Kid is different, he's loyal and he loves PU. PU is as elite as it gets right now. Why would he go somewhere else if he even considers a 5th year, when all he needs and loves is where he currently lives?

Hell, we gave him a shot when he was a 400+ recruit. Purdue believed in Zach, and developed Zach into the player he is. He's not going anywhere else. Foolish idea all around, on all levels of analysis.

Zach is loyal to Purdue, he's not going to bail to some other program for one season. Kid is different, he's loyal and he loves PU. PU is as elite as it gets right now. Why would he go somewhere else if he even considers a 5th year, when all he needs and loves is where he currently lives?

Hell, we gave him a shot when he was a 400+ recruit. Purdue believed in Zach, and developed Zach into the player he is. He's not going anywhere else. Foolish idea all around, on all levels of analysis.
And would Momma 😁 Edey let her son transfer?

He thinks Zach is making a mistake leaving college. He says he can make a multimillion dollar deal if he goes into the portal because Doyle has not heard any NBA scout say, "What we really need is Zach Edey."
He obviously doesn’t know a thing about Zach and his mentality.

Reactions: jtanoos1 and z_one
Why would Zach let someone pay their way so he can be a multi-millionaire? That would be pretty selfish.
Why would Purdue let the reigning 2x national player of the year pay his own way? Terrible optics. Plus, I’m sure he has made Purdue quite a bit more money than he has made for himself.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: z_one
Latest espn one, he’s at 14.

Tbh he’s all over the place. Late lotto to early second, gonna be interesting to see where he goes
I just don't see anyone taking him as a lottery pick. He's not going to be a starter. He'll be help off the bench. I don't think anyone takes a bench player with a lottery pick...but, apparently this is a weak draft class...so, who knows?

I just don't see anyone taking him as a lottery pick. He's not going to be a starter. He'll be help off the bench. I don't think anyone takes a bench player with a lottery pick...but, apparently this is a weak draft class...so, who knows?
Lotto picks aren’t always starters. But it’s all about who is wiling to take a chance and develop him more. With the right team, he could be a guy who contributes off the bench and have a nice nba career.

Lotto picks aren’t always starters. But it’s all about who is wiling to take a chance and develop him more. With the right team, he could be a guy who contributes off the bench and have a nice nba career.
Pretty sure a lottery pick gets cut most years. Not usually as a rookie, but 2 years later. Like Pistons just did with a top 10 -guy couple of weeks ago. Lots of others get traded because they didn't pan out.
I'm not talking about Zach, just that it happens even with lottery picks.
Not a given they'll be around 2 years after being picked, much less starting or not.
Those are usually gifted but not talented types that didn't work hard enough to develop their game.
Or don;'t have the game smarts or instincts to keep getting better.
I dont' think Zach dominates but I think he has a pretty good career as a team/s appreciate the rebounding and pick setting aspects of his game. And see the work ethic that let him develop as quickly as he did.
What we saw in terms of development was very special, probably way more special than we realize as fans.
How many NPOY came from initial ranking below 300 would be an interesting question.
SOOOOOOOOOOO many people are assuming he just stops developing.
Silly.

Last edited:
Pretty sure a lottery pick gets cut most years. Not usually as a rookie, but 2 years later. Like Pistons just did with a top 10 -guy couple of weeks ago. Lots of others get traded because they didn't pan out.
Not a given they'll be around 2 years after being picked, much less starting or not.
Those are usually gifted but not talented types that didn't work hard enough to develop their game.
I dont' think Zach dominates but I think he has a pretty good career as a team/s appreciate the rebounding and pick setting aspects of his game. And see the work ethic that let him develop as quickly as he did.
What we saw in terms of development was very special, probably way more special than we realize as fans.
How many NPOY came from initial ranking below 300 would be an interesting question.
Silly.
This is true, but they are still guaranteed the entire rookie contract. So, this year, everyone picked in the first round is guaranteed at least $8 million total.

So to your point, the Pistons are still paying Killian Hayes. (The guy who was inexplicably starting over Ivey earlier this season).

Silly.
That’s what I don’t get it either…why ppl think he can’t develop anymore? He’s done from starting to play basketball at 14 and then 7 years later is the NPOTY x2. Most players who had been playing for 7 years are in the age range of 12-15…and then he’s 7’4 and become this good, this quick? I would have to imagine he is going to be able to learn and develop even more because I don’t think he’s close to his ceiling.

I wonder if an NBA team would utilize Zach a lot more as a perimeter shooter in the PnR. He's got a nice stroke, hits free throws, just never gets a chance to shoot from outside (not needed).

I wonder if an NBA team would utilize Zach a lot more as a perimeter shooter in the PnR. He's got a nice stroke, hits free throws, just never gets a chance to shoot from outside (not needed).
I don't think his offense is going to be the concern. It's his ability to guard away from the basket. I'm not certain he could defend anyone off the dribble, and he'll have to because he can't stand under the basket in the NBA and rim protect full time.

I don't think his offense is going to be the concern. It's his ability to guard away from the basket. I'm not certain he could defend anyone off the dribble, and he'll have to because he can't stand under the basket in the NBA and rim protect full time.
I think he can guard most centers. Many can shoot the jumper, not that many can put it on the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT