ADVERTISEMENT

Rasheed Wallace thinks Zach should be the overall #1 pick in the draft...finally someone with sense.

Abugabby

Junior
Jun 1, 2001
It's ironic that Rasheed Wallace of all people has the most common sense of anyone who's weighed in on Zach Edey in the draft.

“I’m running my whole thing through Edey dawg, number one. Lets just say hypothetically the Wizards, and he goes there, I’m building around him dawg,” Wallace said. “Wherever he goes is going to be a bad team, just like they’re doing with Wembanyama in San Antonio. San Antonio is f—n terrible but what happened? They drafted Wembanyama and he’s doing his thing but he’s still taking his pops on the chin though. It’s going to be the same thing with Edey.”

"But Edey I think should be number one pick, if any GM’s got sense, that’s the number one pick for sure.”

You do that no one could stop Zach and no other team is prepared to play against that style.

But it probably won't happen because as John Maynard Keynes observed,

“Worldly wisdom teaches that it is better for reputation to fail conventionally than to succeed unconventionally.”​

It's curious...from my admittedly distant view, NBA teams have been drafting "potential" for a long time.

Edey has won two NPOY awards and isn't even close to realizing his potential.

His footwork has gotten much better -- see that deft up and under on Monday night -- but he hasn't stacked an arsenal of moves...yet.

The team that drafts him should hire McHale to work with him and enjoy the show.

I think a lot of people forget Edey can do more than he shows on the court; he's coached and obey's by what the coach tells him to do. "Don't foul" = doesn't play aggressive shot blocking defense until 2nd half's. Go into the post. Edey can shoot further out...but why!? he's super efficient closer to the hoop. He could try shooting 3's... but he get's 2's at a higher clip and there is a team around him that shot 3's. I agree; take a risk as a coach and transition the NBA back to a post game. If you look at scoring; team scoring was actually higher before the 3 pt line. Just as Pros have transitioned to 3pt shooting and drives to the hoop I think it needs that once in a life player to put it back. Zach Edey is the answer.

I don't agree with Rasheed, he is not a first pick overall. I do agree with pushal, he likely can do more than he shows but has been restricted in Painters use of him. He does not even need to shoot three pointers. Being able to do a pick and pop from 10-17 facing the basket would add to his value. I think he is a later in round one pick and will be seen as a second unit guy, maybe not right away. He won't have to defend Joel Embid, he will defend his substitute.

If a GM picks Edey #1 he needs to be fired. Love Zach, he’s not the #1 pick, pro’s isn’t college. I do think a good team late in the first round would be wise to pick him, no way a bad team with the first pick.

If a GM picks Edey #1 he needs to be fired. Love Zach, he’s not the #1 pick, pro’s isn’t college. I do think a good team late in the first round would be wise to pick him, no way a bad team with the first pick.
Actually, a bad team needs Edey more, and I think that is Wallace's point. A good team has their offense and defense down pat. A struggling team needs to change things up. Having a post player may be the answer.

We lost to UConn IMO because we were used to throwing it into Edey and when someone cheated in, we had an offensive opportunity, even so against MSU. UConn did not cheat in, so it was up to Purdue to do weak side picks and cuts to free up the others on the team. Obviously, we never practiced that.

Whatever team Edey goes to will have that as part of their arsenal, even if they are at the bottom of the standings. And from as little that I watch of the NBA, I see a lot of teams not having their big men chase around the perimeter.

Actually, a bad team needs Edey more, and I think that is Wallace's point. A good team has their offense and defense down pat. A struggling team needs to change things up. Having a post player may be the answer.

We lost to UConn IMO because we were used to throwing it into Edey and when someone cheated in, we had an offensive opportunity, even so against MSU. UConn did not cheat in, so it was up to Purdue to do weak side picks and cuts to free up the others on the team. Obviously, we never practiced that.

Whatever team Edey goes to will have that as part of their arsenal, even if they are at the bottom of the standings. And from as little that I watch of the NBA, I see a lot of teams not having their big men chase around the perimeter.
Good point about a bad team going another direction. Seems plausible that's what a team is thinking.

Reactions: mediaexpert
People forget he has only been playing basketball for like 6 or 7 years. He has improved a lot every single year. He has way more to improve still. He's going to gain a lot more skills too. People will regret over looking him. Just like college coaches did.

People forget he has only been playing basketball for like 6 or 7 years. He has improved a lot every single year. He has way more to improve still. He's going to gain a lot more skills too. People will regret over looking him. Just like college coaches did.
Don’t say they’ll regret overlooking him or else it’s “classless” …well at least UT fans say this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: pboiler18
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT