ADVERTISEMENT

Tim Doyle says Zach should go into the portal

Apr 1, 2019
He thinks Zach is making a mistake leaving college. He says he can make a multimillion dollar deal if he goes into the portal because Doyle has not heard any NBA scout say, "What we really need is Zach Edey."

• Wow
Reactions: BoilerAndy
1. He will get drafted.
2. No one is paying more than Purdue will...we will match any offer.
3. He's not leaving his team to go play somewhere else. Dickinson is a cautionary tale.
4. If he stays in college (at Purdue), back-to-back-to-back NPOY and a national title...maybe an undefeated season.

1. He will get drafted.
2. No one is paying more than Purdue will...we will match any offer.
3. He's not leaving his team to go play somewhere else. Dickinson is a cautionary tale.
4. If he stays in college (at Purdue), back-to-back-to-back NPOY and a national title...maybe an undefeated season.
THIS!!!

Reactions: pboiler18
Say he did go into the portal and got a 4 million dollar deal from some top level team. I can’t see almost any other team utilizing him how we do and centering their offense around the post like we do. Plus, I imagine any returning guards wouldn’t be to thrilled to know they now have to throw the ball in the post every time down the court. Purdue and Zach are the perfect situation for each other. Not that any of it matters because he’s going to the nba anyway.

He thinks Zach is making a mistake leaving college. He says he can make a multimillion dollar deal if he goes into the portal because Doyle has not heard any NBA scout say, "What we really need is Zach Edey."

One could make a case for NIL given Clark's 3.1 million. Could Edey top that next year?

But I am sure the Edey's & CMP have already explored all options. Thus, the going pro announcement. So this guy is behind the times on this imo.

Reactions: oldboiler52
How shortsighted. He thinks NIL is a one year lump sum? All else aside, Zach will not alienate the fan base that has made him rich and will continue to make him rich for some debatable upgrade elsewhere. The casual Walmart fan base doesn't spend big money.

How shortsighted. He thinks NIL is a one year lump sum? All else aside, Zach will not alienate the fan base that has made him rich and will continue to make him rich for some debatable upgrade elsewhere. The casual Walmart fan base doesn't spend big money.
Correct. Zach would only be back at Purdue but he knows it’s time to move on and try and compete at the highest level.

Covid year! Him and Flory up front with McNeely as the 3…wouldn’t be too bad a lineup…I’m sure they’ll grab a good two guard and point in portal/they have some decent recruits coming in too
is he coming back to Kansas for that covid yr?

Doyle acted like a dope that interview…his playing to a certain number idea was dopey, he just longs for attention these days. Edey probably would get paid a better sum coming back one more year, maybe he doesn’t want to here all the naysayers saying it’s time to leave after 4 years, maybe he wants to try to make the pros and get on with his life, he’ll be fine. He also said Edey would maybe make 8 million coming back, no he wouldn’t, if that was the case than he should use the Covid year. Doyle reminds me of Dakich these days, says anything to try to stay relevant.

Reactions: oldboiler52
Doyle acted like a dope that interview…his playing to a certain number idea was dopey, he just longs for attention these days. Edey probably would get paid a better sum coming back one more year, maybe he doesn’t want to here all the naysayers saying it’s time to leave after 4 years, maybe he wants to try to make the pros and get on with his life, he’ll be fine. He also said Edey would maybe make 8 million coming back, no he wouldn’t, if that was the case than he should use the Covid year lol
If there was $8 million on the table for Zach, he would come back FOR SURE. I don't think that number is reasonable.

Reactions: bonefish1
Just to play devil's advocate, if Zach can make considerably more money next year by staying in college, isn't it just good business to take advantage of that opportunity?
Correct. Zach would only be back at Purdue but he knows it’s time to move on and try and compete at the highest level.

Reactions: Abugabby
Didn’t Kendall Gill and Tim Doyle throw hands at CSN Chicago, after a Bulls post game show? I believe it got Gill suspended for a while.
<iframe width="1128" height="635" src="" title="You are correct Sir!" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Haha
Reactions: Tommaker and DrEss
Just to play devil's advocate, if Zach can make considerably more money next year by staying in college, isn't it just good business to take advantage of that opportunity?
If it was $8 million I think it would be good business. His draft stock likely will never be higher than this year, but if eight million was realistic he would be back for sure. I don't think that number is realistic...at all. A first round draft pick should make around $2 million to $10 million plus endorsements. First pick is about $10 million and it goes down 10% each pick after that.

If there was $8 million on the table for Zach, he would come back FOR SURE. I don't think that number is reasonable.
It’s not, he also suggested that a game should go until a team hits a certain score say 80, he was an idiot for the most part.

• Haha
Reactions: Abugabby
If it’s 8 million of course, I doubt that would happen, he was throwing out numbers.

Well he is projected anywhere from 14th overall to early second. And everyone says this is a weak draft so I’d assume he won’t go any higher than this year. Plus if he stays, he has to still be a student and go to class/pass classes at least.

But certainly he could come back for money but what else does he have to prove? It’s time for him to spread his wings and try to see if he can make it in the best league.

If I win the big jackpot Tuesday we can put the 8 million hypothetical to the test. Purdue aside, I'd love to see him come back just to make losers whine about how much they are disgusted by that type of basketball but find Terrence Shannon running straight into perimeter defenders all game long really exciting.

And I don't know that a 5-8 million dollar number is that unrealistic. Lots of teams and boosters out there desperate to buy success. One might bite if Edey put himself on the market.

Edey could've done this after last season as well. I think he values his place in Purdue history too much to play at another university for more money.

Furthermore, he might not be used properly or have the types of players around him that allows him to showcase his abilities like he does here. This isn't a video game where you put a roster together and press a button.

Reactions: pushal and Abugabby
30th pick in this year's draft is probably worth close to $8mil guaranteed. Really good money obviously, but the 2nd contract is where these guys become wealthy. One would want to get the clock started as quickly as possible. The caveat is obviously getting picked by a team or high enough where they're truly invested in the player and give him the opportunity to thrive.

30th pick in this year's draft is probably worth close to $8mil guaranteed. Really good money obviously, but the 2nd contract is where these guys become wealthy. One would want to get the clock started as quickly as possible. The caveat is obviously getting picked by a team or high enough where they're truly invested in the player and give him the opportunity to thrive.
Plus I think Edey is ready to be done with college, after 4 years it’s time to go, he’ll be fine money wise.

Say he did go into the portal and got a 4 million dollar deal from some top level team. I can’t see almost any other team utilizing him how we do and centering their offense around the post like we do. Plus, I imagine any returning guards wouldn’t be to thrilled to know they now have to throw the ball in the post every time down the court. Purdue and Zach are the perfect situation for each other. Not that any of it matters because he’s going to the nba anyway.
Those guards would love tossing to Zack. They'd get more open looks just like Smith, Loyer, and Jones.

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
He thinks Zach is making a mistake leaving college. He says he can make a multimillion dollar deal if he goes into the portal because Doyle has not heard any NBA scout say, "What we really need is Zach Edey.
And I thought Dan Lebatard was an irrelevant has-been…

No way.

You were the 400th-ish best prospect out of high school.

You’re now the best player in the country two years in a row.

You play for the best coach in the country who gets more development out of his players than anyone else.

You are now considered an NBA talent, something people even after your first NPOY said wasn’t likely.

Forget loyalty and fanbase for a minute - just from a career development perspective, why would you jeopardize your trajectory to go anywhere else when the school you are at took you from being a self-described “no name” to one of the most dominant players in college in decades?

In order most to least likely:
1) NBA
2) Purdue
3) Teaches pottery classes at the local YMCA.
4) Enrolls at any other school.

Last edited:
Zero chance Zach goes into the portal. Title or no, he has conquered the college game. Nothing to prove and no real potential for growth. Even if he does not stick in the NBA he will be paid well to play professionally somewhere.

I can’t see Zach going to any other school. What people forget is that the big NIL money deals are brokered by the player and their lawyers/agents/handlers and not the school.

Look at Clark at Iowa. She is the one who brokered all those big NIL deals, not her school.

So if Zach really wants a huge NIL, he could play anywhere he wants . He wouldn’t have to change uniforms! All he needs is his smile!

If I were to speculate, I could see him playing for the Canada Olympic team this Summer and getting several big Canadian sponsors!

As for the NBA, many have said this is a weak year for talent. So rather than waiting it out until next year and taking a NIL deal, it would be smarter To get into the NBA now and sign a multi year deal.

Zach may never become a star. But he could easily become a backup center much like Giannis and Lopez’ brother. I guess it helps to have a brother who is a star.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT