ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on QB substitution? Hoping for good responses.

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
If Aidan O'Connell goes in, what does that say? Fans in the stand always love the backup QB's till they go in. I have no idea how O'Connell would or could do. I would think it would shake Plummer's confidence for the remainder of the year plus going into Spring, etc. We have a lot of season left, can Purdue win with Plummer or O'Connell? Our O-Line doesn't give any QB enough time to read progressions. Seems almost as if they would be throwing inexperienced QB to the wolves. If O'Connell is a playmaker, it might be interesting for change of pace play.

Nick Sipe is unknown due to injuries. Other posters indicate likely moving on. Next year is exactly that...next year. Appears that Piferi will redshirt at all costs.

Purdue is known for Cradle of QB's, it is time to shine.

I hate to see Plummer thrown into an Etling-like situation where he has minimal experience and an offensive line that epitomizes the word "offensive." With no running game to speak of, a "rookie" QB becomes a sitting duck. If he has the mental toughness to get through it then it becomes a learning experience but I always felt that Etling suffered the football equivalent of PTSD and didn't recover until he got to LSU. It was a lot to ask of a true freshman.

Remember, Sindelar has already been approved for a sixth year by the NCAA, so he might well be back.

Reactions: DAG10 and SKYDOG
I have a somewhat different take on the matter. It is very clear that the OL is not great at pass protection at this time. As such, the probability of Plummer being injured requiring being taken out of the game for some period or even the whole game are fairly decent. Thus, it would make sense for the backup QB, in this case O'Connell, to be able to take over with some degree of confidence and competence.

This is a solution for the present. It has nothing to do with the long term plans for Sindelar and/or Plummer.

I think it probably tells us that the quarterback competition behind Sindelar was pretty close. We obviously do not have an offense of line that’s going to be able to give quarterbacks a lot of time so honestly the quarterback who can be the most decisive with the ball is probably going to be the most successful. Perhaps Brohm feels at this time it might be O’Connell. Long-term I am not sure that it means anything though.

I have a somewhat different take on the matter. It is very clear that the OL is not great at pass protection at this time. As such, the probability of Plummer being injured requiring being taken out of the game for some period or even the whole game are fairly decent. Thus, it would make sense for the backup QB, in this case O'Connell, to be able to take over with some degree of confidence and competence.

This is a solution for the present. It has nothing to do with the long term plans for Sindelar and/or Plummer.
Agree completely. This is more of a "better safe than sorry", understanding that he's "one heartbeat away" (or in our case, one torn ACL away) from starting.

I didn't want to post a new thread about it, but is it just me, or does there seem to be a BUNCH more injuries in both college and pro football this year? I don't know the technical term for "seeing more of something once you're paying attention to it" so it may just be a case of they're always this high, I'm just noticing because it's hit closer to home. But seeing how many back up to the back up QB's are playing right now...speaking of which, Hodges for Pittsburgh looked pretty danged good in the loss. Out of Samford, never heard of him until Sunday.

Reactions: SKYDOG
I think it probably tells us that the quarterback competition behind Sindelar was pretty close. We obviously do not have an offense of line that’s going to be able to give quarterbacks a lot of time so honestly the quarterback who can be the most decisive with the ball is probably going to be the most successful. Perhaps Brohm feels at this time it might be O’Connell. Long-term I am not sure that it means anything though.
Not the case. Brohm knows with this line he needs the backup to be ready just in case.

But seeing how many back up to the back up QB's are playing right now...speaking of which, Hodges for Pittsburgh looked pretty danged good in the loss. Out of Samford, never heard of him until Sunday.

I always loved Dave Krieg as a NFL quarterback out of that NCAA powerhouse Milton College, with all of a few hundred students. It was the place to continue school if flunking out of elsewhere as a couple of my high school friends managed to do. (Gave one a chance to play college basketball after not being able to make the team in H.S.) I'm sure that Wolegib might know it being from that part of the world.

Reactions: Tommaker
Wasn't there talk of O'Connell being the #2 guy in the spring? There were comments about how accurate he was. Regardless, I think whichever QB plays better under extreme pressure needs to be the guy to finish out this season. That may not be the same guy who executes the best under normal circumstances.

Also, this could be a sign that they are going to more "single read" type plays where the ball is going to a certain receiver based on the coverage (which puts more emphasis on accuracy and less on seeing the field). Simply because there is no time to get to the 3rd or 4th progression.

Wasn't there talk of O'Connell being the #2 guy in the spring? There were comments about how accurate he was. Regardless, I think whichever QB plays better under extreme pressure needs to be the guy to finish out this season. That may not be the same guy who executes the best under normal circumstances.

Also, this could be a sign that they are going to more "single read" type plays where the ball is going to a certain receiver based on the coverage (which puts more emphasis on accuracy and less on seeing the field). Simply because there is no time to get to the 3rd or 4th progression.
I think he wants to get the backup as ready as possible esp. w/ this line. The way it's going now, w/ Jack taking all that past and future abuse, he'll be liquid Plummer by years end. Also says what CJB thinks of Sipe after being in the program for 3 years.

I think he wants to get the backup as ready as possible esp. w/ this line. The way it's going now, w/ Jack taking all that past and future abuse, he'll be liquid Plummer by years end. Also says what CJB thinks of Sipe after being in the program for 3 years.
Liquid Plummer. I'm dead.

Reactions: Ignacious McNutt
Dear Lord thats gold.

Nice. How long have you been waiting to use it?

I think Plummer has played decent - given our horrible line. At least he is mobile enough to step up in the depleted pocket and run if he has too. I agree - if they replace him - they need to explain the decision as to not crush the guys moral. I don't think anyone is going to succeed behind this pathetic line.

I think Plummer has played decent - given our horrible line. At least he is mobile enough to step up in the depleted pocket and run if he has too. I agree - if they replace him - they need to explain the decision as to not crush the guys moral. I don't think anyone is going to succeed behind this pathetic line.
saw it this past sunday w/ the Jets QB's getting sacked 10X's.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT