ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the game....

Tommaker

Senior
Dec 11, 2002
which, as Rgarlitz noted in another thread, have absolutely zero impact on the program going forward. :)

1. Prayers for Burks. Glad they said he had feeling in all the extremities, here's to a full recovery and a jump up the roster next year.
2. Deen going out first quarter basically put a swing gate on the D-line.
3. We really missed AOC. There are those who will say he never sees the NFL, but he was perfect for the tools we had and the system Brohm played (and he brought in Charlie, who got us to a passel of the 8 wins this year). Best of everything for the both of them.
4. Kelly is kind of a dick.
5. I couldn't tell if we missed Payne? Piferi had a nice catch, but you are also looking at a different QB this fall.
6. Thanks for the portal guys like Deen and Sullivan who played. Wish they would stick around, hope the best for them where they end up. Thanks to Burton, too. Feel kinda bad for the kid, wish he'd had more of an opportunity.
7. So glad Mockabee didn't get hurt. He can heal up and get stronger this off season, because he most likely will be the centerpiece of the O this fall.
8. Anyone stand out for you? I liked the catch and hold by Maxwell late in the game, let's see if he makes some progress this spring and summer.
9. Kelly left ND because he can now recruit the kind of players he's getting at LSU.
10. Thanks to all the Boilermakers that made the trip. You were heard and appreciated!

Couple thoughts:

1) this is Exhibit 1A of why you don't keep the coaches of the previous regime around.

2) I like all our guys, but put me in the Shane Beamer group of thinking...guys in the portal shouldn't play. Complete waste of resources and time having those guys practice and then play in the bowl game imo.

3) brohm going to Louisville may be a huge blessing in disguise. Defensive scheme sucked for the most part (no pass rush whatsoever) and recruiting nosedived. Probably best to go a new direction now.

Last edited:
My thoughts are that Brian Brohm after it was announced he was going to Louisville should not have coached this team.

I would have also wanted Walters and his coaches to help coach this team and be on the sidelines for this game to show their support. It’s not like they were coaching their previous teams.

Reactions: Lionheart1
Above all, I echo the well wishes for Deion Burks. I hope he enjoys a quick and full recovery.

On coaching: I got more and more annoyed with Brian Brohm as the game went on. I honestly doubt the result is his fault, but I almost wish Bobinski would have put him on a plane to Louisville the moment the game ended. No media. No addressing the team. Just go. That said, it's hard to see what else could be done. Somebody had to coach the team. Jeff Brohm asked a guy he knew wouldn't be looking for another job.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the game. You guys tried really hard and showed your full potential. Great job!
I like your forum name. You give credibility of the stereotype of the running joke of the reversible jacket.

Honestly, with Coach Allen, your team has just as many problems as we have, but actually probably more. I actually knew what it must be like to be an IU football fan for the last 30 years or so after watching our game today.

1 - Glad the games over and can finally move on from the past coaching staff that created that sh*t show!

2 - The players that entered the portal and played in the game didn’t show anything to earn a better offer than what Purdue is offering so I would be shocked if they received a better offer.

3 - playing calling was awful

4 - I hate calling out players but Burton was really really bad and should of been pulled way earlier!

Fans can say what they want about our opt outs but it’s happening all over college football and it will continue to happen until the NCAA can figure something out! This game showed us how much Purdue missed AOC and Charlie Jones. Next man up is hard to do when those two literally ran your offense all season long.

Fans can say what they want about our opt outs but it’s happening all over college football and it will continue to happen until the NCAA can figure something out! This game showed us how much Purdue missed AOC and Charlie Jones. Next man up is hard to do when those two literally ran your offense all season long.
Yep. As I've seen mentioned here and other places, the bowl games become somewhat glorified spring practices against a team that you can hit as hard as you want. It IS a reward for the players that have stayed (and the fan base that travels) and does get the brand out, but winning now comes down to who has the deeper, more talented players, even more so than the x's and the o's are the Jimmies and the Joes.

Unless the remaining players voted to play in this disaster, then Purdue should have opted out. Total embarrassment. Brian Brohm should have been sent packing when his bro left. Portal players should not play. I'm really tired of hearing how Jeff Brohm elevated Purdue. That game showed just how much he elevated us. Players opting out is pure BS. Those that pushed for NILs and the portal have gotten what they deserve. The players and coaches are in total control and the Universities are left twisting in the wind.
Colleges have become little more than a semi pro league. Paying players, no loyalty, and the future of non revenue sports placed in total jeopardy.
We will have to pay players to keep them. A scholarship now means nothing. I had to work my way through school and so did my wife and kids. Scholarships mean the world to someone trying to make it through. To players in revenue sports, meh.
This will be the end of a lot of non revenue sports. I watch very little professional sports. The way college sports are headed, I may be watching little of them as well.

1 - Glad the games over and can finally move on from the past coaching staff that created that sh*t show!

2 - The players that entered the portal and played in the game didn’t show anything to earn a better offer than what Purdue is offering so I would be shocked if they received a better offer.

3 - playing calling was awful

4 - I hate calling out players but Burton was really really bad and should of been pulled way earlier!

I have ZERO idea how Burton gave us the best chance of winning that game. ZERO idea. And I can't believe he was left in the game past halftime.

This put a REALLY bad dent in Brian Brohm's career if he ever wants to get out of the shadow of his big brother. Can't say I feel all that bad for him...

Unless the remaining players voted to play in this disaster, then Purdue should have opted out. Total embarrassment. Brian Brohm should have been sent packing when his bro left. Portal players should not play. I'm really tired of hearing how Jeff Brohm elevated Purdue. That game showed just how much he elevated us. Players opting out is pure BS. Those that pushed for NILs and the portal have gotten what they deserve. The players and coaches are in total control and the Universities are left twisting in the wind.
Colleges have become little more than a semi pro league. Paying players, no loyalty, and the future of non revenue sports placed in total jeopardy.
We will have to pay players to keep them. A scholarship now means nothing. I had to work my way through school and so did my wife and kids. Scholarships mean the world to someone trying to make it through. To players in revenue sports, meh.
This will be the end of a lot of non revenue sports. I watch very little professional sports. The way college sports are headed, I may be watching little of them as well.
I am still firmly in the camp that NIL and the transfer portal will ultimately negatively impact the whole of college football, but basketball might be a different matter. I guess the Illinois current BB team is heavily NIL based? As I understand it there was a lot of chirping between ILLINI players when they played Missouri last week. With a smaller team core (and a lot closer proximity) the jealousy of "why is he getting more than me" isn't going to do a lot for team chemistry. Say what you will about it, but team chemistry is a large part of why teams like Butler and Gonzaga have been able to make their way up the ladder and get their moment in the sun. On the other side of "pay ball", Kentucky went all in on the "One and done" players. That's gotten them 3 FF appearances and 1 NC in the last 25 years. Is that worth it? Butler and Gonzaga have both made it twice to the FF in the last 11.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT