ADVERTISEMENT

This team is worth supporting

illiniboiler

All-American
Jun 26, 2001
After their valiant victory over a tough Michigan team. One of the better contested games in quite a
while, the heroics of Oden, Farquar and Harris earned the narrow 1 point win. Had Purdue uncharacteristically hit more fts down the stretch it would not have come down to the last shot, but they missed quite a few but pulled it out with some magic tricks by Oden. Michigan is good and if you beat them you have a decent team. For those who want a Final Four as the only way to validate support, there is no answer and you can wallow in two decades ago and under appreciate a group of players who fight hard and who have to play lioness minutes. It is game to game for this team, but they certainly are battlers and I think will remain so.

This is the most impressive performance by a Purdue women's team in a long time. One big reason is that the Big Three all played 40 minutes. The second reason was an amazing 39 minute performance by Farquar. And finally, Traylor played a consistent game---wish she would shoot more from 15 feet and three. When these people play without subs, this is a very good team. The only way they will be contenders is if Coach V. overlooks "foul trouble" and gives these players a chance to get as many minutes---perhaps 40---as they can. The team has almost no depth. A positive .is that none of the top five is a senior.

Last edited:
After their valiant victory over a tough Michigan team. One of the better contested games in quite a
while, the heroics of Oden, Farquar and Harris earned the narrow 1 point win. Had Purdue uncharacteristically hit more fts down the stretch it would not have come down to the last shot, but they missed quite a few but pulled it out with some magic tricks by Oden. Michigan is good and if you beat them you have a decent team. For those who want a Final Four as the only way to validate support, there is no answer and you can wallow in two decades ago and under appreciate a group of players who fight hard and who have to play lioness minutes. It is game to game for this team, but they certainly are battlers and I think will remain so.
Very impressive win, although that last bucket by Oden would probably not go down 4 of 5 times. Pretty amazing (and lucky). The defense in the last 24 secs to keep Michigan from scoring was perfection and demonstrates to me once again that Versyp can coach. As I have said before, this is a fun team to watch and one who gives their all. Thanks for your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: kmot
Carmel's Amy Dilk was impressive as a frosh with 16 points. Sounds like she never really considered anyone but Michigan. Was she a U of M legacy?

Nice 62-57 over #17 Iowa tonight, all Purdue points were furnished by the starting 5, not a deep team, about 7 ladies, however, they'll battle you! 2 Jr's, 2 Soph's and a Frosh start, 2 top reserves are a Frosh and Jr, team should be very good next year, this year a NCAA birth would be great.

Reactions: DocRon
Truly an amazing effort with just 5 players tho Versyp is subbing in to give breathers but can't do it very long against the better teams. All these starters really stepped up against the leading scorer in the country and, down 6 in the 4th, rallied when they had to. All road games are tough and the one Sunday vs NW is no exception, then on the lead leading Rutgers. A split of these games would bode well. Fun team to watch and yes, next year could be really promising. Frosh Pg Traylor is a star in the making and made some absolutely clutch plays down the stretch that won this game.

Another great win....I enjoy watching these ladies. I really hope the fans start coming out to support this team. A win at Northwestern would be awesome but I'm guessing if they happen to lose the usual naysayers (who have been predictably silent the last few games) to be back to bash Coach Versyp and the team. It almost feels like a few might actually be hoping for this team to lose so they can push their agenda of getting the coach removed.

Another great win....I enjoy watching these ladies. I really hope the fans start coming out to support this team. A win at Northwestern would be awesome but I'm guessing if they happen to lose the usual naysayers (who have been predictably silent the last few games) to be back to bash Coach Versyp and the team. It almost feels like a few might actually be hoping for this team to lose so they can push their agenda of getting the coach removed.
It is hard to understand critics of Boiler fans like you. I certainly was into the Iowa game and thought it was a great win by an undermanned team. I believe being undermanned is the responsibility of the head coach and would like to see it fixed either by the current coach or a new one. In the meantime, I think it is great that we are at least a contender which is something we have not been in the past several years. However, until we again start landing McD girls, winning BT Championships, winning BT Tournaments, and playing in final fours I will not be a big fan of the current coach. I will still be a big fan of the Purdue Team.

However, until we again start landing McD girls, winning BT Championships, winning BT Tournaments, and playing in final fours I will not be a big fan of the current coach. I will still be a big fan of the Purdue Team.
I appreciate your support of the team. Will you apply the same standard of judgement to Painter, or Shondell, or even Brohm? All excellent coaches who, so far, have fallen short of those admirable goals.

Again the question becomes "Who do you see available that would offer more?" I am not convinced by most of the suggestions I have heard. The program, even after some incredibly bad luck in terms of injuries and people leaving the program (and yes, I understand the latter may, in small or great part, be due to coaching) is on the upswing. The team should be BETTER next year and is not bad this year. I doubt that our AD will be convinced he needs to replace Versyp with an unknown, especially in view of the fact that our WBB attendance (however that is figured) is, once again, at the top of the B1G.

I appreciate your support of the team. Will you apply the same standard of judgement to Painter, or Shondell, or even Brohm? All excellent coaches who, so far, have fallen short of those admirable goals.

Again the question becomes "Who do you see available that would offer more?" I am not convinced by most of the suggestions I have heard. The program, even after some incredibly bad luck in terms of injuries and people leaving the program (and yes, I understand the latter may, in small or great part, be due to coaching) is on the upswing. The team should be BETTER next year and is not bad this year. I doubt that our AD will be convinced he needs to replace Versyp with an unknown, especially in view of the fact that our WBB attendance (however that is figured) is, once again, at the top of the B1G.

Reactions: hunkgolden
I agree with your post except the attendance comment. The totals given are a bad joke!!
Thanks WaltV. But if Mike Bobinski has the money from those attendance figures, and I am pretty sure he does, I don't think he cares whether we think it is a joke or not. (Smile)

Reactions: kmot

I guess I am also a critic of Painter in that he cannot seem to get all the pieces to the puzzle to get to a final four. On the other hand, he has a lot better record than SV in the last several years. CMP inherited a good program from GK and has maintained the GK level of competing for BT titles and at least making the dance. Same cannot be said of SV. Shondell, I don't know much about other than his teams seem to be continually in the top 25. Brohm is only in his 3rd year and inherited an unholy mess and has so far at least returned the Boiler F-ball program to respectability. It remains to be seen how far he can take the program but I look forward to the trip. My counter to your point is that the coaches you mention at Purdue are all in much different situations from WBB in that none of the other programs have been contenders for or won the NCAA as has WBB. As far as Bobo replacing SV, I leave it to him to pick out the successor as he did a nice job finding Brohm. I was in favor of PJ Fleck btw, and so far both are doing well with the final results yet to be determined. I believe PJ inherited a better situation than Brohm. As for the attendance figures, I believe that a lot of the empty seats are paid for as season tickets. I did that for some time until I could no longer tolerate watching a team turn the ball over 20 times and decided not to renew. I know many season ticket holders who have kept them even though they seldom attend games.

Reactions: JeffBoiler
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT