ADVERTISEMENT

Ranking Predictions

depthcharge623

Sophomore
Dec 31, 2013
I don’t think we will stay #1 after the loss to Rutgers, but it also wouldn’t be a total surprise to me if voters kept us there. We had a “bad” loss (somewhat subjective since Rutgers is a good team, at least some of the time, but it was a home game for us), but we also had two road wins, one against a ranked opponent. And we have no more losses than anyone who could be ranked ahead of us.

I would say I think we will remain in the top 5, but further than that I have no clue.

This, IMO.

Houston
Kansas
Purdue

Boilers just need to keep getting better, stay humble and focused.....and prepare for a 12-week constant battle. I like the way they finished last week out.
I think we saw strides in them getting better during the OSU and PSU games, from the Rutgers game. I’m very excited about this team’s potential.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
While I agree with you...it is dumb that they get dropped simply because they lost most recently. They still have a better resume...certainly better than Houston.

No real disagreement here.....just the way it is with a lot of the voters, which really won't mean anything come NCAA Tournament selection time. I do think Purdue should still get a few #1 votes. As to Houston.....they are good, but yes, their schedule is not very daunting.....thought on BTN I heard they have four Quad 4 wins - those are bottom-of-the-barrel teams. They may not lose for a while in conference play.

Of course Purdue has played some of those teams too, but they definitely have better top wins.

Reactions: mrb202
While I agree with you...it is dumb that they get dropped simply because they lost most recently. They still have a better resume...certainly better than Houston.
This. Houston has beat exactly one ranked team. They lost to the other. They play fewer good opponents than any power conf team. Nobody should be comparing them to any power conf team with the same record. They’re probably a good team, but I see nothing to indicate anyone should think of them as a top 5. Whoever came up with that opinion either isn’t a fan of power conference teams, or was impressed by them dusting a bunch of weak opponents. I think if you flip-flop their schedule and conference with Purdue these teams would not have the same record, and nobody would be talking about Houston as a top team.

I'm ok with Purdue giving up the #1 spot. This is a very good Purdue team, but they need more work on offensive consistency (or at least shooting) to be a great team. Let Kansas/Arizona/Houston wear the target for a while.

We will be a target as a ranked team all year, regardless of how high or low in the top we are.
Fair point. But, there's always a little more that goes with a #1 ranking.

As of this morning, Purdue is #5 in the NET, #6 in Pomeroy, and #7 in Sagarin. I'm a little more comfortable with that range. Again, I'm not trying to dog on Purdue. This is a very good Purdue team, one that could be something truly special by mid-March.

Fair point. But, there's always a little more that goes with a #1 ranking.

As of this morning, Purdue is #5 in the NET, #6 in Pomeroy, and #7 in Sagarin. I'm a little more comfortable with that range. Again, I'm not trying to dog on Purdue. This is a very good Purdue team, one that could be something truly special by mid-March.

ADVERTISEMENT