ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

I agree. See similar hysteria for snowstorms. Stay calm about investment portfolio. Or as Vanguard says, “Stay the Course”. Markets should normalize in a couple days.

If I had beers in the fridge, would be having one now.
Come on over....beer in two fridges. Multiple bottles of liquor for medicinal purposes if you're ill.

OK, let's be honest: Who's sold in the last 3 days?
I've held onto everything. While most of my biotech stocks are withstanding this ugly market fairly well, none have got terribly hammered.
Now, my Fidelity account, where I hold my mutual funds and ETFs, that's another story. Havent sold anything but those fund are definitely getting pummeled. Going to ride it out.
Staying put. I like what I have.

Global markets a lot calmer today. Asian markets down .8 to 1.5%. European markets were down about 1.5% in the first hour or two. All have rebounded, most indexes down about .7%. Italian national index is up about .8 to 1.0%.

US markets should show similar response, may be an up day.

Stay calm, don't panic.

If your overall portfolio got hammered big time the past two days, 4-5% or more, review your holdings and plan for some changes if compelled to do so. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul. Put new money into areas that need more allocation or diversification. There are many buying opportunities that will be available for the foreseable future.

I am planning some March moves. Need to get thru tax season first. Probably put most new money into fixed assets, add a little to my equities. Not too concerned about my overall percentage of fixed to equity allocation.

Go for a run later and maybe get a single malt.

Global markets a lot calmer today. Asian markets down .8 to 1.5%. European markets were down about 1.5% in the first hour or two. All have rebounded, most indexes down about .7%. Italian national index is up about .8 to 1.0%.

US markets should show similar response, may be an up day.

Stay calm, don't panic.

If your overall portfolio got hammered big time the past two days, 4-5% or more, review your holdings and plan for some changes if compelled to do so. Don't rob Peter to pay Paul. Put new money into areas that need more allocation or diversification. There are many buying opportunities that will be available for the foreseable future.

I am planning some March moves. Need to get thru tax season first. Probably put most new money into fixed assets, add a little to my equities. Not too concerned about my overall percentage of fixed to equity allocation.

Go for a run later and maybe get a single malt.

Agreed: Unless your crystal ball last week told you to sell everything to avoid this minor correction, then you might as well stick at the risk of news coming out that the coronavirus threat is diminished and stocks take off again rocketing up 10% over the next couple of weeks.

MRNA .. Moderna
Up about 27% premarket. Good news is the speed of developing a trial vaccine.

JNJ has been in partnership since late January to develop a vaccine. Maybe see more vaccines come to fruition in the next 2-3 weeks.

Big question is would a vaccine by any company or companies get fast tracked into general release.

Agreed: Unless your crystal ball last week told you to sell everything to avoid this minor correction, then you might as well stick at the risk of news coming out that the coronavirus threat is diminished and stocks take off again rocketing up 10% over the next couple of weeks.

Hey Bone, just for you:

87044672_10159434484328835_6575357384124792832_n.jpg

bonefish1 said:

OK, let's be honest: Who's sold in the last 3 days?
I've held onto everything. While most of my biotech stocks are withstanding this ugly market fairly well, none have got terribly hammered.
Now, my Fidelity account, where I hold my mutual funds and ETFs, that's another story. Havent sold anything but those fund are definitely getting pummeled. Going to ride it out.

No moves from me. My overall portfolio went down 1.75% Monday. Prob see a similar number today, maybe down 1.60%.
[/quote]
It’s pure craziness. I’ve been waiting with some cash for a drop...I felt like earlier in the week was sufficient to get it into the market...that was obviously incorrect. Have a couple friends in the investment world (analysts not sales)...we don’t talk about money to each other so as to avoid pissing contests. However, today I remarked about my purchase being premature...one of them gave some rational as to why it was premature based on his indicators. Always amazes me that such information isn’t more broadly known or disseminated. I won’t get into what he said, except that he knew that what I thought was a buying opportunity wasn’t the same as his expectations.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
No moves from me. My overall portfolio went down 1.75% Monday. Prob see a similar number today, maybe down 1.60%.
It’s pure craziness. I’ve been waiting with some cash for a drop...I felt like earlier in the week was sufficient to get it into the market...that was obviously incorrect. Have a couple friends in the investment world (analysts not sales)...we don’t talk about money to each other so as to avoid pissing contests. However, today I remarked about my purchase being premature...one of them gave some rational as to why it was premature based on his indicators. Always amazes me that such information isn’t more broadly known or disseminated. I won’t get into what he said, except that he knew that what I thought was a buying opportunity wasn’t the same as his expectations.[/QUOTE]

For every 100 analysts that believe you should sell, another 100 will tell you to buy. And both sides will have convincing data to support their argument. I just don't trust analysts all that much. After all, if they were such great predictors of market moves, they'd be retired living on an island somewhere.

did you get in?
I don't like the chart, even the 1 month chart were you'd think they'd be some strong buying, but that's just me.
Nah, taken a beating last week and need some recovery, although I came close to "day trading" for it but have been in court all day and can't watch the ticker and charts enough to achieve some comfort. I figured it would be a chance to scalp about a 10% move in a couple hours perhaps. Like you, I'm not terribly enthused in the long term in it either.

Nah, taken a beating last week and need some recovery, although I came close to "day trading" for it but have been in court all day and can't watch the ticker and charts enough to achieve some comfort. I figured it would be a chance to scalp about a 10% move in a couple hours perhaps. Like you, I'm not terribly enthused in the long term in it either.

I haven't even looked at my holdings for a week. I don't need to view them to know a 4,000 point drop will be anything but ugly and it'll just make me mad seeing that I've given back 2 years worth of upside in a matter of a week. I'm hanging tight right now, waiting for the corona crazy to end and see the markets take off again.

I haven't even looked at my holdings for a week. I don't need to view them to know a 4,000 point drop will be anything but ugly and it'll just make me mad seeing that I've given back 2 years worth of upside in a matter of a week. I'm hanging tight right now, waiting for the corona crazy to end and see the markets take off again.
LOL. Yes, it was batshit crazy. I really made no movement to speak of.
I've never been very active trading, rather having had an investor mindset. I am attempting to broaden my horizon somewhat, maybe only for understanding as opposed to active trading but we will see, by getting a better understanding of some of the concepts within technical trading. I thought the idea of the Ichimoku Cloud was pretty interesting and have been looking at it. I find it pretty amazing that someone sits back and develops some of these type concepts. Daaaammmmmmnnnnnn.

Holy Crap!! Just looked at the market for the first time today and up 1200 pt! Whoot whoot! Still a long way to claw back but that's a helluva good start!

Reactions: 70boiler
Quite a market ride the last 5-6 days! Down over 12% last week. Powerful upward move on Monday. DOW shot up 836 points in the last 77 minutes of trading.

Last week’s down move put the market in a correction. I had replied to a post earlier about 10% or more corrections. On page 2 in this thread. “If this downturn does result in a 10% or more correction, historically it is not bad. Since 1950 every correction of 10% or more has been followed by a bull market rally that wiped out the correction and drove the market higher.” So if history holds true, look for the 3500 point drop to be wiped out and a move higher. Monday’s move has recovered 1/3 of the drop.

Asian markets mostly up today. Nikkei 22 down 1.22%. European markets all up over 2% in early trading. US futures up pointing to a strong open.

Coronavirus is still a big issue and could send the markets lower without much warning. Be cautious going forward.

Sitting tight for now. Taxes on Wednesday. Should go pretty smooth and free up some cash. No hurry to buy, there are still plenty of buying opportunities.

I took a beating on AGRX. Win some, lose some.
I still have some AGRX left that I figured wtf. I have been doing a bit more looking at it and think they are setting up for a buyout. TWIRLA is good to go but they have not begun to implement anything including a failure to even begin hiring process. They have 2 and maybe 3 on the Board with long term ties to Johnson & Johnson. When the CFO was hired, at what may have been over market rate, he received a significant option if ownership changes. So, I figured selling now is an butt kick, holding half can't probably be much worse, so here I am.

Reactions: bonefish1
Does anyone know anything about "Crosslife Technologies " which is coordinating with Purdue researchers on this covid 19 test (https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rel...s-detection,-but-funding-bars-production.html)? I have found little info. Also does anyone know how this type of product becomes commercialized? It has the makings of a huge hit.
Read something about this in the Indy Star last week. Sounds like they may be on to something. I'd think it might be worth a small buy in if you can.

I still have some AGRX left that I figured wtf. I have been doing a bit more looking at it and think they are setting up for a buyout. TWIRLA is good to go but they have not begun to implement anything including a failure to even begin hiring process. They have 2 and maybe 3 on the Board with long term ties to Johnson & Johnson. When the CFO was hired, at what may have been over market rate, he received a significant option if ownership changes. So, I figured selling now is an butt kick, holding half can't probably be much worse, so here I am.

That's my hope as well: Mgmt will sell out, and we'll reap the rewards with a big stock jump. But, as you said, might as well hold on til something happens.

Reactions: 70boiler
Just got off the phone with my tax accountant....short term capital gains got me big time,

Just got off the phone with my tax accountant....short term capital gains got me big time,
Hopefully not too badly. Need to look at getting some long term dividend payers. Lower tax rate for qualified divs. Big smile.

Got my taxes completed today and came out AOK. A refund, nothing too big. Always try to plan taxes so I keep as much as possible up front. All income exempt from state taxes. GA is a good retirement state.

Market was roaring again today. Have recovered a little over 2/3 from last week's fall.

Hopefully not too badly. Need to look at getting some long term dividend payers. Lower tax rate for qualified divs. Big smile.

Got my taxes completed today and came out AOK. A refund, nothing too big. Always try to plan taxes so I keep as much as possible up front. All income exempt from state taxes. GA is a good retirement state.

Market was roaring again today. Have recovered a little over 2/3 from last week's fall.

Well, that depends on your definition of "too badly". My check to the IRS will be well into the 5 figures.....
But, that's the game you play if you're in and out of these volatile stocks.

These 1,000 point market swings are driving me nuts. Its sucks going to bed knowing the market was up 1200 and overseas markets showed gains and then you wake up to see futures down 2-3% and you're like "WTF happened!"

Well, that depends on your definition of "too badly". My check to the IRS will be well into the 5 figures.....

These 1,000 point market swings are driving me nuts. Its sucks going to bed knowing the market was up 1200 and overseas markets showed gains and then you wake up to see futures down 2-3% and you're like "WTF happened!"
Pray the Dem's don't take the WH.

Been absolutely crazy for two weeks. And will most likely continue for another 3-4 weeks. Time to channel my best inner Wallstreet: “M51 loves dividend stocks.”

Oil is down huge this morning as there is to much supply. Amazingly in 1973 we told by science that global oil would run out in 10 to 20 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT