ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

First big bike I had was a 650 Norton that was a terrible beast to kick start. Rode the hell out of it. It had a125 mph speedometer that with a little gearing, rejetting and head cleaning would peg out (although I wouldn't swear to its accuracy). I do know it was faster than my, then a policeman, friend's 4 cylinder 750 Honda.
Norton attempted a comeback with a thoroughly modern and exciting bike, but just went into what we would call receiver ship this
norton-motorcycles-administration-9.jpg
month. Hoping the same Russian who now owns MV Agusta may buy it.

My thoughts on SSI...Since my wife passed at age 63, and neither she nor I drew anything from her fund, I'd advise you take it ASAP. You're getting less, but if you live a long time, you're getting it longer. If you die early as she did, you've gotten nothing for your investment.

As for retirement, I'm hanging it up this year...maybe June. I've talked a lot with my FA and accountant and I plan on keeping it just the way it is....balanced but hedging toward aggressive as I've always done. That has worked for me, but I've been able to go aggressive without worrying about what if's. Hope that helps.

Thanks again for your insight- at my age, I don’t tent to factor in such things. I’ve always believed that learning from others (who have no vested interest) is the best way to make good, informed decisions. Congrats on your retirement! I grew up on a dairy farm...no one ever retired. And while that taught me to be a manager of money, it did not prepare me to take an reasonably early retirement and how best to manage the assets and income streams. I hope you are available for other questions in the future!
I'll try to answer any questions that I can. I grew up on a grain/hog farm in Rush County and loved it. I have the option of buying five acres in the country with a small pond. Looking at doing that and building a small home and the place in SC. Perfect combo.
[/quote]
I’m not far from Rush county, currently. May have to buy your dinner some time. Your SC home comment is another question that I wasn’t really thinking about addressing, however...we are looking at something similar...to me, buying/building a vacation home always seemed to make the most sense, but on-line calculators invariably steer me to just renting. I assume it’s based on investment appreciation vs real estate appreciation. Your thoughts? (Thanks in advance- I know expressing an opinion is a danger zone, but I’m looking to learn, not debate)[/QUOTE]
I don't want to buy a hugely over-priced home in the south....looking at bargains off the beaten path, but close to water and golf. I don't need to spend half a mil when I can get the same experience for a lot less and still have something I can rent when not there. That's why I like the St. Helena area where 2 BR condo's with ocean view can be had for $150K or less, and if you find a fixer upper even less, and rent well enough to pay the assessments and taxes plus put a bit of money back into the account.

I have the advantage of a great contractor who's a friend who will do the work for for vacation time.

I probably will never live year round there but like the idea of going down during the winter.

First big bike I had was a 650 Norton that was a terrible beast to kick start. Rode the hell out of it. It had a125 mph speedometer that with a little gearing, rejetting and head cleaning would peg out (although I wouldn't swear to its accuracy). I do know it was faster than my, then a policeman, friend's 4 cylinder 750 Honda.
I hope you guys don't mind me joining in.
First bike was a Kawaskaki 100 work horse (10 speed), traded for a 350 Kawasaki dirt bike. Bought a used 1973 Mach III Kawasaki 2 stroker, than a 1978 KZ 1000. Got married and gave up riding for a while but bought my first Harley in 1987 a Roadster 1200. Rode that until my wife couldn't handle the long rides so I bought a 2002 Ultra classic, the last carburetor model. You could get it with fuel injection. Put over 168,000 miles on it.
Still loved some speed so I bought a Silver anniversary V-Rod, bored and stroked, HO fuel pump and the SE downloads. Put down turned SE pipes on it. (still have it in the garage) Finally due to health reasons I had to give up 2 wheels but bought a 2014 Tri-Glide classic. My wife and I have slowed down a lot but I put about 3000 miles a year on it still. I still live to ride!

I hope you guys don't mind me joining in.
First bike was a Kawaskaki 100 work horse (10 speed), traded for a 350 Kawasaki dirt bike. Bought a used 1973 Mach III Kawasaki 2 stroker, than a 1978 KZ 1000. Got married and gave up riding for a while but bought my first Harley in 1987 a Roadster 1200. Rode that until my wife couldn't handle the long rides so I bought a 2002 Ultra classic, the last carburetor model. You could get it with fuel injection. Put over 168,000 miles on it.
Still loved some speed so I bought a Silver anniversary V-Rod, bored and stroked, HO fuel pump and the SE downloads. Put down turned SE pipes on it. (still have it in the garage) Finally due to health reasons I had to give up 2 wheels but bought a 2014 Tri-Glide classic. My wife and I have slowed down a lot but I put about 3000 miles a year on it still. I still live to ride!
I've never owned a Harley. Right now I own a Victory as my main bike...don't do the 1500 mile jaunts I used to do and downsized. I've owned...personal and restored bikes...about 150 over the years. I do have the MV, the Vic, a Ducati Monster, and a very collectible '82 Kawasaki AR 80 with 51 miles that I drove to Lincoln Nebraska to pick up. Glad to see you went to a trike and are still doing what you love. I've looked at them...Harley/Vic/Can Am and may eventually have one. They make a lot of sense. Be safe.

Does the heart good to see these investment and motorcycle posts. The political posts on here always dive into personal attacks. These are much more refreshing to read.
Restoring and dealing in collectible bikes can be financially rewarding if you know what you're doing and get lucky once in awhile. Of all the bikes I've restored, I can honestly say I've never lost money on one. Broke even on some, but didn't lose.

Does the heart good to see these investment and motorcycle posts. The political posts on here always dive into personal attacks. These are much more refreshing to read.
Agree- everyone is pretty set in their political views, their religion and whether to fire a coach or not. I find no joy in any of that...was glad to find this topic, although I have to admit, motorcycles never crossed my mind as a subject for this thread. However, because of a muscle car owning relative, I could probably throw in on chevelles and a GTO judge stuffed into the loft of a barn, waiting to be “discovered” 25 years from now. Lol

Agree- everyone is pretty set in their political views, their religion and whether to fire a coach or not. I find no joy in any of that...was glad to find this topic, although I have to admit, motorcycles never crossed my mind as a subject for this thread. However, because of a muscle car owning relative, I could probably throw in on chevelles and a GTO judge stuffed into the loft of a barn, waiting to be “discovered” 25 years from now. Lol
They're out there. But not in any barn I've been in lately. If you find two, let me know...please.

... However, because of a muscle car owning relative, I could probably throw in on chevelles and a GTO judge stuffed into the loft of a barn, waiting to be “discovered” 25 years from now. Lol
Had to chuckle out loud reading the mention of Chevelles and GTOs on Purdue board given the following history.
On returning to Purdue in fall '68 I brought back my red '64 Chevy Impala Super Sport convertible, which was the only one to this day that I have ever seen with a factory 3 speed on the column in a Super Sport. I decided I probably "needed" a muscle car rather than a 283. I shopped around and was nearly ready to buy (for $2500 !!!!) a 1965 GTO convertible, 3x black 389 tri-power with a 4 speed. I took it for a last test drive and stopped at a red light. When the light changed, I began to release the clutch when there was a bang as my hand on the shifter was pulled downward as the transmission fell out onto the ground. Apparently they had removed the transmission previously and neglected to replace the bolts. It was an interesting conversation when I called the dealer to pick both me and the car up.
I opted not to buy the GTO ... lol. However I did locate and buy a privately owned '66 Chevelle Super Sport Hi Perf 396 for same $2500 (??!!!****), black over white with black interior that I dearly loved. I was working at a Shell station on 52 By-pass so it was a great opportunity to work on it while at Purdue. It was a real beast that was quite easy to work on. Ahhh, the good old days.
I kept it for several years and sold it at a profit when I had no storage for it and could use some cash... I certainly wish that I had stuck with my feeling that I should have just found somewhere and kept it. Oh well....

Last edited:
I agree with you. Have several stocks in my portfolio that are 25% to 75% or even more above the historical split price. Did some research but don’t recall the exact reasoning behind the split drought.

Being a dividend investor, prices in the mid 100’s and higher make it difficult to accumulate enough shares to get a nice quarterly dividend.

Some utilities are also getting above an entry start position.
Most decent dividend payers are near historically low yields. Bad time to enter.

$T is still mildly attractive at their current share level, but the dividend doesnt grow much.

That still was a horrible report on most every metric. I guess one needs to buy the stock as it seems impervious to bad news.
I got back in for that reason. IMO it's safe because it's such a big contributor to our GDP. It's in the government's best interest to make sure Boeing succeeds

I got back in for that reason. IMO it's safe because it's such a big contributor to our GDP. It's in the government's best interest to make sure Boeing succeeds
I’m trying to close my eyes and hold my nose and get back in, but so far haven’t been able to do so. I am maybe going to buy 50 shares next week just so I’m in. Buying this one and TSLA have been impossible for me at this point.

I’m trying to close my eyes and hold my nose and get back in, but so far haven’t been able to do so. I am maybe going to buy 50 shares next week just so I’m in. Buying this one and TSLA have been impossible for me at this point.
I’d wait on Tesla pulling back before jumping in

Most decent dividend payers are near historically low yields. Bad time to enter.

$T is still mildly attractive at their current share level, but the dividend doesnt grow much.
Added a couple regional banks in the past 6 months. Enter on a dip, watch it rise a little and then add more a dip. Hoping to find a couple REIT’s that have a good entry point. Also looking into mid-cap value.

$T - ATT ? Yearly Div increases are low. Buy on dips. Wait for quarterly earnings report. Add on not so good report.

Check it out. Some of the early Jap stuff is going for big bucks. Here's a modified '75 500...they're asking $8K for it.

Take a pic of your neighbor's bike...I'd love to see what it is.
5e408495c3d75372bd6c5333.jpg
Awesome! Showroom ready.

Neighbor’s cycle is a Yamaha, 2-cylinder. 2-stroke??? May be a 100 or 125. It is roached. Did not feel any resistance when checking compression. Frame seems ok, wheels ok, seat/seat pan is kaput. Odometer is 3155. The number on the left side of the motor is AT1-140550. Will try to attach a photo, have not done that in a few years.

Awesome! Showroom ready.

Neighbor’s cycle is a Yamaha, 2-cylinder. 2-stroke??? May be a 100 or 125. It is roached. Did not feel any resistance when checking compression. Frame seems ok, wheels ok, seat/seat pan is kaput. Odometer is 3155. The number on the left side of the motor is AT1-140550. Will try to attach a photo, have not done that in a few years.
Does it appear to be a dirt bike? Knobby tires? Should have a date on the steering stem.

Awesome! Showroom ready.

Does it appear to be a dirt bike? Knobby tires? Should have a date on the steering stem.
AT-1 was a 125 Yamaha enduro from about 1970

Think 70boiler is correct. Prob an Enduro. Pics I saw on the web are a very close match for an Enduro. Sticker on the stem is too faded to get info. Has knobby tires, road/off-road. No gas tank. Yellow/gold front fork. Head light is red. From another bike? Lens broken. Taillight cover is about only thing that is not roached. Still intact.

Think 70boiler is correct. Prob an Enduro. Pics I saw on the web are a very close match for an Enduro. Sticker on the stem is too faded to get info. Has knobby tires, road/off-road. No gas tank. Yellow/gold front fork. Head light is red. From another bike? Lens broken. Taillight cover is about only thing that is not roached. Still intact.
Still some of the parts may be usable on a restoration. You never know.

Reactions: 70boiler
The AT-1 portion in the "number on the left side of the motor is AT1-140550" designates its origin. As I recall the AT-1 was used as that particular bike's origin as an "All Terrain 1st Generation" enduro which was only available as a 125.

Still some of the parts may be usable on a restoration. You never know.
And this is the AT1's nephew...a model that I rode in the dirt for several years - a 1975 Yamaha MX 250
s1200_20160628_140641.jpg

Yep... very dependable and hard core. It was very pipey and required staying on the throttle pretty hard to maintain the usable power band. The low end torque was pretty minimal but when you got the Revs to that active power band you needed to hold on 'cuz you were gonna go, and the front end was very likely to jump up. I loved that bike. A friend had an MX400 that I would ride occasionally, and while I was relatively fearless and goofy, that one would make my eyes get pretty wide.

Best I remember, this was pretty much bullet proof if you kept it lubed.

My last dirt bike:

GiNi4AAfTGtRbn363JaQn1e4s-flG0Vwj3n7YYdZVnLs6UJ2cmXad3DvU5aRIsciKLBQFOQAI2oCt9tMHPjubyQ0JWjpXkVWaFRwHZ5R9DlwJmIkaZl13C4PLrH5cnaGtFeTuw
I always wanted a Husky but never got there.
Btw, my advice to people who would ride my 250MX was a pretty simple description of how it ran - "Stay on the bike, Stay on the throttle, and Stay forward, and Stay ahead."

Yes, I was aware of the impending FDA decision. I believe that it had something like 14 out of 15 reviewers recommended approval. I believe the decision comes tomorrow. The stock is certainly acting like people know something but as they say "buy the rumor, sell the news"
FDA published its approval of Twirla late Friday evening. I saw an article indicating after hours AGRX went up 8% maxing at 4.40
Tuesday may be interesting.
EDIT-
I must say that I wasn't very excited in reading an article that included the following which seemingly suggests Twirla won't be available for purchase for approaching a year:
Agile isn’t ready to launch its Twirla yet. The company says it will spend the first quarter of this year working with managed care systems and insurers to gain coverage of its product. In the second quarter, Agile will put a sales team in place and validate its manufacturing process. The company expects to begin shipping the product to wholesalers in the fourth quarter of 2020.​

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT