ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

My plan to get back in at 18K keeps taking one step back, two steps forward.

Both maybe ok companies, way to speculative for me. Being a dividend investor, both fail the initial screen. As a retiree, even before, I only invest in dividend payers. I do get more than enough growth from my dividend stocks. Always looking to add to my monthly and quarterly income stream.
That's fine. I'm, very balanced, but skewed to taking more risks. I actually believe these two are going to make some big moves very soon. Could be wrong and there's nothing wrong with dividend payers.

Market futures up over 3.50%, 800 plus points. European markets up 3 to 4% in early trading. Another strong day for US markets?

bone, will prob see more down days for the remainder of April. If nothing terrible happens, 17-18K may not come into play. May be time to put a little money to work on the next down day. Blue Horseshoe loves.......

You may have waited too long Bone.

story of my life. But of course, I could virtually guarantee another massive drop is I were to go back in right now.
While a lot of the shock is being priced in, I still think the unemployment numbers, consumer spending, global GDP drop, etc are going to send the market down one more time before the swing north. But, I've pretty much been 100% wrong on anything coronovirus related since January, so I wouldn't listen to myself either.

Reactions: 70boiler and indy35
Market futures up over 3.50%, 800 plus points. European markets up 3 to 4% in early trading. Another strong day for US markets?

bone, will prob see more down days for the remainder of April. If nothing terrible happens, 17-18K may not come into play. May be time to put a little money to work on the next down day. Blue Horseshoe loves.......

Was listening to Ric Edelman during my run today. I like his podcast and he pretty much instructed to do the opposite of what I did (and even what I was telling myself not to do), which was stay fully invested, ride it out.

If there's another big drop, i might get some airlines, cruise, hotels and get back in heavily on Disney.

Was listening to Ric Edelman during my run today. I like his podcast and he pretty much instructed to do the opposite of what I did (and even what I was telling myself not to do), which was stay fully invested, ride it out.
As luck would have it shortly after my earlier post I s came across another informational article in today's NYT
(I don't know if it's behind a paywall. Sorry if so)

This combined with keeping you diversification % consistent for you time in your investment horizon is the best approach.

The tax implications on top of this of taking gains and getting back in (not in a 401k account) also degrades overall profitability.

Have stayed out of this thread because people can do whatever they want to do with their money.

The data is all out there. Missing the biggest market gains by using timing leads to a very substantial decrease in overall returns.

https://paulmerriman.com/why-market-timing-doesnt-work/

This is a good one from dimensional that goes back to 1970

https://us.dimensional.com/perspectives/staying-in-your-seat

Here is my question because I am honestly pretty clueless.

I am 36 and a high school teacher so I don't have much money to 'play around' with in terms of investment. I know I need to be starting more than just my ISTA Retirement and I am hopeful Social Security doesn't fall by the wayside for when I look to retire when I'm in my 60's.

Where do I need to start because I obviously don't have lots of money to start upfront with BUT I know its better to at least start with something rather than never starting at all. Would you recommend a 'simulation' of the market to gain practice before investing real funds or should I go with a broker/professional from the start? If anyone wants to shoot me a PM, I would love to chat and listen to advice because I feel overwhelmed by the idea of starting.

I will give my thoughts, but just realize that all of them are biased, ok ?

1.) I believe that all people need to do their own investing - I find it strange that people work so hard at "making" money, yet never understand what to so with it. (ie If you don't know the basics you have no way to assess other people's skills.

2.) If you want to mirror the market, find some good "index" funds. At your age, you should be investing in technology (but still too early in the U.S.), raw materials, gold & silver and international markets (which is where all of the major growth will come from in the next 20-30 years.)

a.) Technology - If we have another big drop (which is likely if the shutdown gets extended and/or the economy doesn't come back very quickly) you could buy a position into the QQQ index (nasdaq 100 type businesses/solid) 2/3 is invested in technology like apple, facebook, telecommunication companies, microsoft, chip companies, etc..
b.) Raw materials - When an economy tanks, these areas are decimated, but when they are down 70% in value and are the first to jump when an economy comes back they are pretty safe. Pick solid companies which are leaders. (Think Texaco, Chevron, U.S. pipeline companies that distributes natural gas, liquid natural gas and companies that provide supplies to oil companies like a Baker-Hughes (but wait til they hit bottom or are down 60-75%)
c.) Gold and silver - I do it 2 ways. The first and safest is to buy gold and silver coins. (You will need a good safe, when you get about $5,000 worth at home) Don't put all of them in a deposit box - if the country goes belly up they could confiscate them) Also buy some which are collectibles. (They weren't confiscated in the depression years as they were seen as a hobby vs investment) These are the ones minted with things like baby's 1st Christmas on them, disney characters, etc.. I use them for gifts for my grandkids which they can one day cash.
d.) International markets - I think everyone should have a mix from China, Japan, India, Africa, South Korea,etc.. Again I would think in terms of technology index funds

3.) You should start out with 2 online traders. Why 2? diversification and . . I have once had one account just shut down out of the blue and they don't have to explain why - I guess they weren't making enough money off of me. Besides, they are only insured for loss in a crisis up to $250,000 so it's stupid to have anywhere near that amount in any one account/broker. Look at E-trade, Ameritrade Fidelity (This one will also be good for some retirement accounts/healthcare accounts since it's easy to use) and Interactivebrokers. If any account gets above $150,000-200,000, I would think about adding a 3rd and splitting that amount

4.) I agree with others, that you simply HAVE to pay yourself first. Target 10% of your pay

5.) Many experts say keep investing all the time -dollar cost averaging, in good and bad times. While I like the general concept, I think it's dumb to invest at the highs. The lions share of gains are made when the market pulls back by 20-40%. If you don't have great companies targeted, accumulate the cash and wait ! There are "ALWAYS" market corrections.

6.) I try to teach my kids to look for companies that can "double" in a reasonable period of time (ie 2-4 years) Why? because it you start out with $1,000 , you only have to "double" it 10 times in your life to have 1 million dollars. Think about that as an investing concept

7.) graphically track your progress towards your next "double" It forces you to stay engaged and learning about WHY you have winners and losers

8.) Use Yahoo's financial tab on their website to chat with other investors on your stocks - over time you will learn a LOT. Lots of trolls and shorts trying to CON you, but also lots of good people willing to share what they know. It won't take long to learn when some posters are just bashing or cons - other will point them out (which is handy for young investors)

9.) Invest in ROTH retirement accounts FIRST (they are tax free when you take them out later.) Best deal in town right now. Note: You can buy stocks for your Roth account, as well as index funds, so a Fidelity account is ideal for this

10.) Few stocks jump by 20-25%. When they do, take some profits. (example: If I have 1000 shares, I might sell 300-400, which I then reallocate to my best ideas/investments at that time.)

11.) I suggest a blend of big companies, index and a few smaller companies to start until you understand your risk tolerance, etc.. Smaller companies will grow faster, but have more risks of going bust. Pursue these after you have a Roth max-ed out, an index or two and some coins. I wise person told me to never do anything which didn;t allow me to sleep well at night. I think this approach will make sure you sleep well

12.) I a a BIG believer in not "chasing" the latest craze - at least not with much money. I like good companies in the right industries which are beat up (ie just down due to a recession, etc.. - They will come back as the economy does &

13. ) remember Bulls make money, PIGs get slaughtered, sooner or later ! Periodically pay the tax man and take profits as they occur. It's ALWAYS easier to make money on companies which have pulled back before you buy them. It took me time to fully appreciate this, but once you get experience you will realize that you normally have more ideas and investment you want than you have money, so.... take profits when they jump 20% and either buy them back when the price adjusts lower or invest elsewhere.. Good Luck !

1.) I believe that all people need to do their own investing - I find it strange that people work so hard at "making" money, yet never understand what to so with it. (ie If you don't know the basics you have no way to assess other people's skills.

2.) If you want to mirror the market, find some good "index" funds. At your age, you should be investing in technology (but still too early in the U.S.), raw materials, gold & silver and international markets (which is where all of the major growth will come from in the next 20-30 years.)

a.) Technology - If we have another big drop (which is likely if the shutdown gets extended and/or the economy doesn't come back very quickly) you could buy a position into the QQQ index (nasdaq 100 type businesses/solid) 2/3 is invested in technology like apple, facebook, telecommunication companies, microsoft, chip companies, etc..
b.) Raw materials - When an economy tanks, these areas are decimated, but when they are down 70% in value and are the first to jump when an economy comes back they are pretty safe. Pick solid companies which are leaders. (Think Texaco, Chevron, U.S. pipeline companies that distributes natural gas, liquid natural gas and companies that provide supplies to oil companies like a Baker-Hughes (but wait til they hit bottom or are down 60-75%)
c.) Gold and silver - I do it 2 ways. The first and safest is to buy gold and silver coins. (You will need a good safe, when you get about $5,000 worth at home) Don't put all of them in a deposit box - if the country goes belly up they could confiscate them) Also buy some which are collectibles. (They weren't confiscated in the depression years as they were seen as a hobby vs investment) These are the ones minted with things like baby's 1st Christmas on them, disney characters, etc.. I use them for gifts for my grandkids which they can one day cash.
d.) International markets - I think everyone should have a mix from China, Japan, India, Africa, South Korea,etc.. Again I would think in terms of technology index funds

3.) You should start out with 2 online traders. Why 2? diversification and . . I have once had one account just shut down out of the blue and they don't have to explain why - I guess they weren't making enough money off of me. Besides, they are only insured for loss in a crisis up to $250,000 so it's stupid to have anywhere near that amount in any one account/broker. Look at E-trade, Ameritrade Fidelity (This one will also be good for some retirement accounts/healthcare accounts since it's easy to use) and Interactivebrokers. If any account gets above $150,000-200,000, I would think about adding a 3rd and splitting that amount

4.) I agree with others, that you simply HAVE to pay yourself first. Target 10% of your pay

5.) Many experts say keep investing all the time -dollar cost averaging, in good and bad times. While I like the general concept, I think it's dumb to invest at the highs. The lions share of gains are made when the market pulls back by 20-40%. If you don't have great companies targeted, accumulate the cash and wait ! There are "ALWAYS" market corrections.

6.) I try to teach my kids to look for companies that can "double" in a reasonable period of time (ie 2-4 years) Why? because it you start out with $1,000 , you only have to "double" it 10 times in your life to have 1 million dollars. Think about that as an investing concept

7.) graphically track your progress towards your next "double" It forces you to stay engaged and learning about WHY you have winners and losers

8.) Use Yahoo's financial tab on their website to chat with other investors on your stocks - over time you will learn a LOT. Lots of trolls and shorts trying to CON you, but also lots of good people willing to share what they know. It won't take long to learn when some posters are just bashing or cons - other will point them out (which is handy for young investors)

9.) Invest in ROTH retirement accounts FIRST (they are tax free when you take them out later.) Best deal in town right now. Note: You can buy stocks for your Roth account, as well as index funds, so a Fidelity account is ideal for this

10.) Few stocks jump by 20-25%. When they do, take some profits. (example: If I have 1000 shares, I might sell 300-400, which I then reallocate to my best ideas/investments at that time.)

11.) I suggest a blend of big companies, index and a few smaller companies to start until you understand your risk tolerance, etc.. Smaller companies will grow faster, but have more risks of going bust. Pursue these after you have a Roth max-ed out, an index or two and some coins. I wise person told me to never do anything which didn;t allow me to sleep well at night. I think this approach will make sure you sleep well

12.) I a a BIG believer in not "chasing" the latest craze - at least not with much money. I like good companies in the right industries which are beat up (ie just down due to a recession, etc.. - They will come back as the economy does &

13. ) remember Bulls make money, PIGs get slaughtered, sooner or later ! Periodically pay the tax man and take profits as they occur. It's ALWAYS easier to make money on companies which have pulled back before you buy them. It took me time to fully appreciate this, but once you get experience you will realize that you normally have more ideas and investment you want than you have money, so.... take profits when they jump 20% and either buy them back when the price adjusts lower or invest elsewhere.. Good Luck !

With the agreement between the Russians and the Saudi's yesterday, which guarantees higher prices for crude, I'd be buying oil/gas stocks if I didn't already have some....But I might buy even more.

Like in any debate, your point of view depends on who you choose to listen to.
This is the second article I've read in two days talking about this 'relief rally' being followed by another big market decline.

https://www.ccn.com/dow-jones-to-plunge-50-despite-bounce-research-warns/
Did you see this article?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/w...expect-a-massive-hit-2020-04-13?mod=home-page

I am not a doom and gloomer, time will tell. I always wonder why we never see some write up or prediction about what the market will do in 1 day or 3 days. Or 6 days. Now that would be beneficial.

Heard on Fox Business News that Austria and Spain are opening some of their businesses. And Denmark to open schools, grade 1 thru 4. Don’t know what Denmark currently has in place.

US may get a heads up from Austria and Spain on any daily infection spikes in those countries.

For the average investor, this is all pretty sound advise, i would only add ..take full advantage of 401's and employer contributions I am walking testimonial of a person who started out saving $14 every two weeks and eventually became a multi-millionaire...also compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world.

For the average investor, this is all pretty sound advise, i would only add ..take full advantage of 401's and employer contributions I am walking testimonial of a person who started out saving $14 every two weeks and eventually became a multi-millionaire...also compound interest is the 8th wonder of the world.
Good advice. But was that $14 a week the only investment? Something tells me you got lucky too on some other things. Fess up.:D

Good advice. But was that $14 a week the only investment? Something tells me you got lucky too on some other things. Fess up.:D
Truth..first time I ever saved any money was when hired by Mead Johnson (now Bristol-Myers Squibb) in Nov 1980..first quarterly report of my co. retirement investment report in Jan '81 said $14 and some change. MJ allowed 16% saved with 6% matching.as my income grew, i eventually added a personal after tax account thru a brokerage/financial advisor ..between the two and 25 yrs later , ended up at 2.5M when i retired, now i live off interest and dividends without touching principle + SSN ....ONLY IN AMERICA..God Bless this country

Reactions: bonefish1

I agree - I just overlooked that one.

In general, you want to target 10% of your income, max out your Roth first, then the part of the 401K that is being matched, then think of the other options with the balance of the money

Truth..first time I ever saved any money was when hired by Mead Johnson (now Bristol-Myers Squibb) in Nov 1980..first quarterly report of my co. retirement investment report in Jan '81 said $14 and some change. MJ allowed 16% saved with 6% matching.as my income grew, i eventually added a personal after tax account thru a brokerage/financial advisor ..between the two and 25 yrs later , ended up at 2.5M when i retired, now i live off interest and dividends without touching principle + SSN ....ONLY IN AMERICA..God Bless this country
Nice job. I did the same with GM...and now my son, who's a salaried employee is doing it. He's maxing out everything and staying with it.

Nice job. I did the same with GM...and now my son, who's a salaried employee is doing it. He's maxing out everything and staying with it.
I love success stories like yours. .and despise the " I deserve and have the right ..to every thing free" crowd..GOD BLESS BOILER UP

Train report....moving the goods.....saw one train today while running. 4 engines pulling a full load of flats. All flats were double stacked except for flats with the taller trailers. No empties today. Saw one train either Monday, Tuesday running. Pulling a full load of hoppers.

Last week 2-3 trains were pulling 30-50 empty flats.

I love success stories like yours. .and despise the " I deserve and have the right ..to every thing free" crowd..GOD BLESS BOILER UP
You know, the one thing I'll say is I've been blessed my entire life. Great parents, wonderful wife for 42 years before she passed, two kids who are very productive and great fathers. (one sold his business at 44 and just bought a 3700 sq ft lake home with 200 ft of shoreline). God is good if you let Him be

Compound interest from reinvesting dividends and cap gains!

Awesome!!!

I’m in a similar boat, just a bit smaller!

Reactions: BOILERBOY
You know, the one thing I'll say is I've been blessed my entire life. Great parents, wonderful wife for 42 years before she passed, two kids who are very productive and great fathers. (one sold his business at 44 and just bought a 3700 sq ft lake home with 200 ft of shoreline). God is good if you let Him be
Lake life is the best, being a "laker" myself I guarantee at some point he will say "I wish i would have done this sooner!" LOL God bless all that your wife gave to you

Lake life is the best, being a "laker" myself I guarantee at some point he will say "I wish i would have done this sooner!" LOL God bless all that your wife gave to you
He's been a laker for years. Just took the plunge last year and loves owning his own. Did I say the house came with all furnishings and two jet skies. And a two deck covered lift.

Reactions: BOILERBOY
M...less than four weeks ago I invested in four tech/biomed stocks and Chevron. Put 17K in them together. Just looked yesterday and I'm almost 6K up.
Nice return! Time to trim some gains.

CVX has been in my Roth for a couple yrs. Think it is still down about 10-15%. Have XOM also, and it is down. Individual stocks in my Roth have not fared as well as individual stocks in my non-retirement account.

Been mostly putting any new money and dividend money into fixed assets. A small bond investment is up 15% in about two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT