ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

I've been tempted to take the profits but so far I'm letting it all ride. I do have a sell price with my agent. Almost $100 a share in five weeks ain't too bad though. Just wish I'd bought more.:mad:

I would split the difference - Get most of your "Seed" money back out and then you can let the rest ride with no downside, but still upside with what you have left, as well as what you invest the money in. (ie The reason I maintain a list of companies I would like to invest in, if I had more money.) In situations like yours I am tempted to get into one of those other companies on my list.

Good luck

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I would split the difference - Get most of your "Seed" money back out and then you can let the rest ride with no downside, but still upside with what you have left, as well as what you invest the money in. (ie The reason I maintain a list of companies I would like to invest in, if I had more money.) In situations like yours I am tempted to get into one of those other companies on my list.

Good luck
What I've done is put alerts at top and bottom. Right now I'm up a bunch either by blind luck or Divine Intervention. I'm fortunate that I have a good cash fund that I can invest more if needed, but by taking the profits and leaving the seed money, I still have my basic investments that have all made money in the past five/six weeks. I'm really anxious to hear what is said on the Novavax stockholder's meeting tonight as the right words will send it sky high. Or into the sewer.:oops:

I think we're gong to see some sell off this week, but a recovery on Friday. I'd buy something on your list today. You could find that jewel we're all looking for.

What I've done is put alerts at top and bottom. Right now I'm up a bunch either by blind luck or Divine Intervention. I'm fortunate that I have a good cash fund that I can invest more if needed, but by taking the profits and leaving the seed money, I still have my basic investments that have all made money in the past five/six weeks. I'm really anxious to hear what is said on the Novavax stockholder's meeting tonight as the right words will send it sky high. Or into the sewer.:oops:

I think we're gong to see some sell off this week, but a recovery on Friday. I'd buy something on your list today. You could find that jewel we're all looking for.

Good point - that works as well

Ooops, our error!!!!
$113,000,000 glitch (LINK)
A day trader who bought hundreds of oil contracts was told he owed $9 million after a trading platform issue meant it failed to show oil's historic plunge below $0

Watching this market continue to go back/forth. Starting to consider doing some dollar cost averaging, but the bite, is that I'd be buying everything higher than I sold. Makes me cringe.

Watching this market continue to go back/forth. Starting to consider doing some dollar cost averaging, but the bite, is that I'd be buying everything higher than I sold. Makes me cringe.
At least you can look at it as a positive sign in that we continue to be in a bull market.

I've been tempted to take the profits but so far I'm letting it all ride. I do have a sell price with my agent. Almost $100 a share in five weeks ain't too bad though. Just wish I'd bought more.:mad:
I’ve been in NVDA since it was around $100, and just have hung in through the ups and downs, thought I was tempted to take some off the table when it doubled pretty quickly. Great stock, no plans to ever sell it.

I beginning to think that with things opening up, the W shaped market recovery is going to be more V shaped and there might not be another really substantial dip of 20+% as an opportunity to get back in. I've been sitting on the sideline since mid-March when I went 90% cash (wrong move and I knew it at the time...) but I fear I'm missing this rally. On the next big down day, I may start going in about 10% per week.
Of course, as soon as I'm 50-75% invested again, something else will happen and the market will plummet.

There's still some good money makers out there. Finding the right one is the issue. I'd suggest Abbott Labs, Southwest Air, and Disney. For the long haul.

I'm a huge fan of DIS (did my college internship there), have taken the fam several times, etc. I owned a nice chunk prior to selling in March around $100, it's over $125 now......

OK guys, here's fair warning...I'm putting some money in tomorrow.
Anyone want to guess what the market will do? Keep in mind, I haven't been right on any of this since Feb, so either my terrible streak of poor decisions continues or I start to turn it around. We'll see.

Have not posted in about 6 weeks. Hope everyone is doing well. And hope your portfolios are are in the midst of a strong recovery.

My portfolio has been on a strong upward move since the Mar 23 low. Only 7% below the Feb 17 high this year.

Market has been very strong this week, some economic signals are getting stronger. Think the market is indicating that qtr 2 may not be nearly as bad as originally predicted.

Some of the economic indicators I watch are not doing well. But there has been improvement. The 10/2 yield curve is no issue. Interest rates, no issue.
Jobless claims are horrendous as everyone knows. Oil is rising, that is good. Like to see it get into the mid 40's. Copper is rising, think it is around 2.40 today. Range of 2.50/2.60 will be good. If things go well the next 2-3 weeks, should see significant improvement in the economy.

Back to my portfolio, only made two very small changes to my holdings. Dropped one stock in my ROTH account, it was down about 60%, only had about 8-10 shares and initial purchase was only about $150. Made a small change to my IRA account. Mid April after recovering a nice amount from the big drop, opened a small position in a short term treasury fund. Converted about 1% into the treasury fund. No other selling in any of my accounts.

Non-Retirement portfolio - Did not do any investing in May. Sitting on some dividend cash from May and June is a strong dividend month. April, Mar moves were mostly reinvesting dividends in bond and treasury funds. Did reinvest a little in my existing stocks.

Still have a few stocks that are down 20-25% or so. Expect these to recover over the next 2 qtrs. Some stocks are 5-10% below 52 week highs and some nearing a 52 week high.

Some info on stocks since mid-late Feb:
Utility stocks are still down about 10-20%. Will be stronger as more companies bring people into the office. SO, AVA, WEC, DUK

CAT - down about 15%

CBRL - down about 30%. Should see nice recovery as more people eat out and travel. Has made some strong moves in the last 2 weeks.

SYY - down 30%. Another stock dependent upon business reopen.

OKE - down almost 50% from Feb. Strong recovery since M23.

JNJ, PG, PEP, ITW, MSEX - All doing good.

KR - added Kroger in Mar/Apr. Up about 6%, nothing great.

Railroad report - Out running 26 of 31 days in May. Seeing fewer empty flats being pulled the last week or two. Nothing like late April. Some days I did see 2 trains. Monday this week saw the end of one train, 10 or so empty flats. Another train was pulling a full load of flats, hoppers, tankers and box cars. Two engines in front, two in the middle. Moving the goods. Norfolk-Southern is the RR company if you are curious. Have UNP in my portfolio and it is doing well. Do not own NSC.

Probably did bone a favor posting this report. Market down tomorrow?

I've set up an additional account to "play" with to see if I can figure out the quick in, quick out day/swing game but haven't really traded much as I am trying to finalize a scanner that I have been working on.
I pretty much have sat pat on my regular (non-IRA) account thinking that I was okay with moderately long positions there. I have been pretty pleased with that.
AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
FCEL +24.84% (I think it moves up on earnings report this week)
MLND +37,97%
MRNA +113.53% (Almost sold when it spiked and was up a bit over 200% but believe it may well run hard long term. Should have pulled and rebought, I know)
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).
I look for an up day to welcome Bone back to the active world... based on oil being strong, decent Covid activity and the charging of the Minneapolis Police officers releasing some pressure related to protests.

I've set up an additional account to "play" with to see if I can figure out the quick in, quick out day/swing game but haven't really traded much as I am trying to finalize a scanner that I have been working on.
I pretty much have sat pat on my regular (non-IRA) account thinking that I was okay with moderately long positions there. I have been pretty pleased with that.
AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
MLND +37,97%
MRNA +113.53% (Almost sold when it spiked and was up a bit over 200% but believe it may well run hard long term. Should have pulled and rebought, I know)
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).
I look for an up day to welcome Bone back to the active world... based on oil being strong, decent Covid activity and the charging of the Minneapolis Police officers releasing some pressure related to protests.
I'm taking the profits from the 5 I invested in a couple of months ago and start day trading with that. So far, I've made about $9K in two months, so I'll keep the initial money intact and play with the profits.

Reactions: M51 and 70boiler
AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
MLND +37,97%
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).
May have spoken too soon...oil is dropping tonight...damn

AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
MLND +37,97%
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).
Awesome! Still a lot of buying opportunities.

AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
MLND +37,97%
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).
Be careful with the short term capital gains taxes.

AMD +10.27%
BLDP +24.29%
MLND +37,97%
PLUG -13.31% (Oh, well).

Thanks 70, glad to see you're doing well and managed the last few months with a positive financial result. The big rub for me is buying back in now at prices higher than when I sold. Classic market timing mistake that I'm paying for big time. Still flogging myself for not practicing what I preach.

Reactions: 70boiler
Thanks 70, glad to see you're doing well and managed the last few months with a positive financial result. The big rub for me is buying back in now at prices higher than when I sold. Classic market timing mistake that I'm paying for big time. Still flogging myself for not practicing what I preach.
I stayed in, but had some cash on sidelines and didn’t have the stones to buy more in March.

Don’t feel bad: The greatest investor ever did the exact same thing you did.

Time to start with some new stocks. Regional banks and Canadian banks are still down 25-40% Feb prices. I have Huntington Bank, Fifth Third and Truist in my portfolio. Added a little HBAN in late March, that purchase is up about 32%. Look at Bank of Montreal, Toronto Dominion and Bank of Nova Scotia.

I stayed in, but had some cash on sidelines and didn’t have the stones to buy more in March.

Don’t feel bad: The greatest investor ever did the exact same thing you did.

I'm following up my previous warning with confirmation. I went in with mid-6 figures today.
Prepare for about a 1000 pt drop in the next week.......

I'm following up my previous warning with confirmation. I went in with mid-6 figures today.
Prepare for about a 1000 pt drop in the next week.......
Oh crap! I'm converting to cash early tomorrow.
tenor.gif

I'm taking the profits from the 5 I invested in a couple of months ago and start day trading with that. So far, I've made about $9K in two months, so I'll keep the initial money intact and play with the profits.
If I might ask, what type of strategy are you looking to employ, what trading platform and what kind of scanning for potential trades are you planning on?

As I mentioned I have been working a bit on putting together a stock scanner/screener to see if I can figure out the idea of trading rather than investing. So far so good.
This was my screen listing alerts it produced during one minute of trading - 9:40 am
20200605-142224.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT