ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

Mike Wilson just kidding!
Lol, that was funny. Really, you don't think that would be clearly in keeping with the October position attributed to him as
...the economy isn't as strong as the stock market suggests, and a recession would help "flush" out those misplaced expectations???
...and saying ""I'm rooting for a recession in some ways because that's what would get the flush in terms of expectations that still has to happen. And then we can have a cyclical recovery."

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
Futures are crashing again. Hit stop limit a few minutes after opening. Dow down 950 currently.
And shortly after, I saw that the St. Louis Fed. President said he believes in the next few months it will reach 30% unemployment rates coupled with a 50% drop in GDP

Last edited:
Futures are crashing again. Hit stop limit a few minutes after opening. Dow down 950 currently.
Wonder how much of this is due to Nancy Pelosi announcing that the house is going to work on their own relief bill. Sad that Washington appears they don’t want to work together.

Thought it was 70boiler Jr. Did not realize it was your grandson! Congratulations to him and to your daughter as well
Congrats 70 to you and your family. It’s a shame you will miss the ceremony.
I hope it will take place and you can at least enjoy a video of it.

Reactions: 70boiler
Congrats 70 to you and your family. It’s a shame you will miss the ceremony.
I hope it will take place and you can at least enjoy a video of it.
Thnx.
They indicate video will be available, and I am aware that some branches are planning to live stream

And shortly after, I saw that the St. Louis Fed. President said he believes in the next few months it will reach 30% unemployment rates coupled with a 50% drop in GDP
Wonder how much of this is due to Nancy Pelosi announcing that the house is going to work on their own relief bill. Sad that Washington appears they don’t want to work together.
100%

Futures trying to rebound this morning. Up slightly off the 950 point drop from Sunday night.

Most European markets open down sharply. Most making a slight rebound.

About ready to put a little cash into some stocks I own. Not 5 figure cash, a couple-3-4 hundred over the next 2-3 weeks. Have a couple regional banks that appear to be holding at a low. Have a couple water utilities that are up a little off lows.

Don’t own Kroger (KR), may look at adding that to my portfolio.

Futures trying to rebound this morning. Up slightly off the 950 point drop from Sunday night.

Most European markets open down sharply. Most making a slight rebound.

About ready to put a little cash into some stocks I own. Not 5 figure cash, a couple-3-4 hundred over the next 2-3 weeks. Have a couple regional banks that appear to be holding at a low. Have a couple water utilities that are up a little off lows.

Don’t own Kroger (KR), may look at adding that to my portfolio.
Yes. Fed announced it would engage in significant purchase of Treasurys and mortgage securities as well as other assets to assist. Kudos.

Reactions: 70boiler
Are you looking at a quick buck on this or for a bit of a long haul? Check out Nvidia too.

I'm looking at a fairly quick turnover, but actually think it could have some long term success. Speaking of which it's at 2.14 after hours currently.
I've looked at Nvidia several times but it was never right...either it was looking mediocre or I was cash poor...lol... of course, that's all of our same story.
Edit - I am working on trying to improve at trading rather than investing, (although I abhor the idea of shorting so staying away from it) by utilizing a separate account as a trade vehicle. As such I am attempting to limit my falling in love with my choices as is my norm.
Edit - Sorry, meant to post in my original comment that it appears there may be a public offering coming that will obviously dilute.

Last edited:
I'm looking at a fairly quick turnover, but actually think it could have some long term success. Speaking of which it's at 2.14 after hours currently.
I've looked at Nvidia several times but it was never right...either it was looking mediocre or I was cash poor...lol... of course, that's all of our same story.
Edit - I am working on trying to improve at trading rather than investing, (although I abhor the idea of shorting so staying away from it) by utilizing a separate account as a trade vehicle. As such I am attempting to limit my falling in love with my choices as is my norm.
Edit - Sorry, meant to post in my original comment that it appears there may be a public offering coming that will obviously dilute.
After a conversation with my FA, and looking at numerous buy opportunities, I've decided to go with Nvidia, AMD, CVX (very undervalued and rail will be huge when the Virus is over), Novavax, and Microsoft. Oh, and Abbott too.

After a conversation with my FA, and looking at numerous buy opportunities, I've decided to go with Nvidia, AMD, CVX (very undervalued and rail will be huge when the Virus is over), Novavax, and Microsoft. Oh, and Abbott too.
Utilities are a good value. SO, WEC, DUK. Own all three.

Look at ITW, CAT. Owned both for over 10 yrs. "rail will be huge" Railroads? UNP and NSC.

OKE - been hit by both corona fear and oil prices. I have a few shares of OKE in my Roth IRA.

Too many great values to list.

Reactions: TwinDegrees2
I have had a handful of AMD for a few months and it has been a decent hold. It had doubled in value and then during the recent bear market still has remained up about 1/3.

Futures hit their 5% up stop this morning. Maybe the Market can stay green today.

Today could be up 1000 on the Dow but tomorrow back down 1500. I think the unemployment and consumer spending number are still going to cause some shock and we have another 2000 pts to go down.
I think the bottom is somewhere around 17,000 but that's just a shot in the dark guess. Clearly, I'm trying to time the market (which I've always said was a bad idea and impossible to do consistently).
I'm at 65% cash and haven't started buying again yet. I think we need to start hearing more 'good' news before the market responds with any consistent, positive momentum.
I have a buddy who went all cash on Feb 1st. He couldn't have timed it any better, so I'll definitely be getting his thoughts on when he's getting back in.

Today could be up 1000 on the Dow but tomorrow back down 1500. I think the unemployment and consumer spending number are still going to cause some shock and we have another 2000 pts to go down.
I think the bottom is somewhere around 17,000 but that's just a shot in the dark guess. Clearly, I'm trying to time the market (which I've always said was a bad idea and impossible to do consistently).
I'm at 65% cash and haven't started buying again yet. I think we need to start hearing more 'good' news before the market responds with any consistent, positive momentum.
I have a buddy who went all cash on Feb 1st. He couldn't have timed it any better, so I'll definitely be getting his thoughts on when he's getting back in.
DOn't we all wish we'd gone cash.:mad: I didn't follow my plan of attack either. But now, I'm going to buy and hope. I don't think we'll see 17.000.

Before the end of the trading day, I might move all my mutual funds to cash to take advantage of today’s big pop. We seen a bunch of these thousand point rise/fall lately.
I just don’t think this is the start of the recovery. I think we need to see the infection rate/numbers start to fall, travel restrictions lifted, and businesses open their doors again. At that point, I think the markets start to take off again.

Before the end of the trading day, I might move all my mutual funds to cash to take advantage of today’s big pop. We seen a bunch of these thousand point rise/fall lately.
I just don’t think this is the start of the recovery. I think we need to see the infection rate/numbers start to fall, travel restrictions lifted, and businesses open their doors again. At that point, I think the markets start to take off again.
I think the gains are going to larger overall than the dips.

Depending when you added these, Novamax and CVX up big today. Novamax up 18%, CVX up 23%. Nice.

My stocks did pretty good today. 10 up over 15% with 3 going up over 20%, 12 other up over 10%. Would like to see another day like this tomorrow.

Depending when you added these, Novamax and CVX up big today. Novamax up 18%, CVX up 23%. Nice.

My stocks did pretty good today. 10 up over 15% with 3 going up over 20%, 12 other up over 10%. Would like to see another day like this tomorrow.
Didn't do Microsoft but put a lot more into Abbott and CVX. Also had second thoughts and added a couple of thousand to Novavax

I think the gains are going to larger overall than the dips.

I literally forgot to submit my sell orders before the end of the trading day yesterday. Was getting the family ready to get outside for a run/walk and it just skipped my mind.

$2Trillion stimulus.
I was thinking about just how much money $1Trillion really is...
$1T in stacked $100 bills would look like -

usd-1_trillion_dollars-1,000,000,000,000_USD-v2.jpg

usd-1_trillion_dollars-1,000,000,000,000_USD-v2-07.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: PUBV and SKYDOG
$2Trillion stimulus.
I was thinking about just how much money $1Trillion really is...
$1T in stacked $100 bills would look like -

usd-1_trillion_dollars-1,000,000,000,000_USD-v2.jpg

usd-1_trillion_dollars-1,000,000,000,000_USD-v2-07.jpg

That’s one heck of a lot of toilet paper.
Another way to look at what $1 T amounts to in real terms is that assuming single bill currency thickness to be the normally asserted valuation of .0043", then the height of a single stack of new $100 bills would be -
$1M is approximately 43 inches
$1B is just under 3600 feet
$1T is approximately 678.66 miles high
Edit - So $2T would be a 1357 mile high stack of $100s, for a point of reference the drive distance from Chicago to Miami is 1379 miles.

Last edited:
Reactions: SKYDOG
Looks like you all are getting your back to back up days in the markets. Is it the real deal or the proverbial dead cat bounce? On a personal note, my 80/20 IRA I rolled into 11/18 is back into the green (even after figuring the salary I draw from it). Whoopee, get to stay retired

Looks like you all are getting your back to back up days in the markets. Is it the real deal or the proverbial dead cat bounce? On a personal note, my 80/20 IRA I rolled into 11/18 is back into the green (even after figuring the salary I draw from it). Whoopee, get to stay retired
I certainly don't know where we are headed.
Covid-19 is such a controlling factor as to the economy that it seems impossible to make a guess with much certainty.
I have very grave concern that we are treating it far too cavalierly and may trend into the Italian-Spanish model, but understand that the huge expanses of our continent could very well counter that direction.
I am not terribly consoled when we hear that we need only be concerned that the mortality rate will be 1% or 2% of the afflicted. In a country of 330 million, if the affliction rate were limited to 10% of the population that would be 33 million and if mortality rates are limited to 1% that would be 330,000 deaths. I surely hope that we see nothing akin to those types of numbers. As much as I dislike the President, I am absolutely hopeful that his assertions of the circumstances not being dire are correct.
The economy will do what it does and imho that is almost completely dependent upon how Covid ultimately unfolds.
Ugh... I just don't really think that we can plan one way or the other, but I am not enthused about our situation.

I certainly don't know where we are headed.
Covid-19 is such a controlling factor as to the economy that it seems impossible to make a guess with much certainty.
I have very grave concern that we are treating it far too cavalierly and may trend into the Italian-Spanish model, but understand that the huge expanses of our continent could very well counter that direction.
I am not terribly consoled when we hear that we need only be concerned that the mortality rate will be 1% or 2% of the afflicted. In a country of 330 million, if the affliction rate were limited to 10% of the population that would be 33 million and if mortality rates are limited to 1% that would be 330,000 deaths. I surely hope that we see nothing akin to those types of numbers. As much as I dislike the President, I am absolutely hopeful that his assertions of the circumstances not being dire are correct.
The economy will do what it does and imho that is almost completely dependent upon how Covid ultimately unfolds.
Ugh... I just don't really think that we can plan one way or the other, but I am not enthused about our situation.

I've pretty much been wrong about this whole coronvirus thing since day 1, so I probably should just keep my ideas to myself. LOL.
On the economy though, or more specifically, the market, despite the 15% pop the last few days, I still don't think it's bottomed out. The unemployment data is just starting to hit and the trickle down will be consumer spending.
I still believe we need to hear positive news about the spread/treatment, etc before people get comfortable again.

I've pretty much been wrong about this whole coronvirus thing since day 1, so I probably should just keep my ideas to myself. LOL.
On the economy though, or more specifically, the market, despite the 15% pop the last few days, I still don't think it's bottomed out. The unemployment data is just starting to hit and the trickle down will be consumer spending.
I still believe we need to hear positive news about the spread/treatment, etc before people get comfortable again.
Bone...I'm enjoying that three day pop on the new investments.

100% wrong you say?, could you give me a few picks? Just being a contrarian :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT