ADVERTISEMENT

They Say "Money Talks" So Let's Talk

Bone...I'm enjoying that three day pop on the new investments.

I'm happy for you man. You going to take those short term gains and get out or you sticking with it?

I blinked and went mostly to cash, probably 85% now. My timing is impeccable.....

100% wrong you say?, could you give me a few picks? Just being a contrarian :)

Just for laughs.... it's 1:14PM EST on 3/26/20.
I don't know what this market's going to do? Is this a dead cat bounce? Will there be some profit taking on the 20% gain in 4 days?
I previously posted I thought the bottom was somewhere around 17-18K and that's when I'd get back in. But, that's a 20+% drop from where we are today.
I have no idea......

Despite my politics, this isn't intended as a Trump bash.
I have serious Market concerns with the suggestion of the returning to normal at Easter. The limitations that are currently in place, as well as potential increases, are all state or local government controlled. If it doesn't work out that there is a turn to normalcy by the chosen date, I can see an adverse market reaction may well be in the offing. I just think the commentary being put forward by the President can be a bad dynamic particularly given the apparent medical disagreement with it.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
I'm happy for you man. You going to take those short term gains and get out or you sticking with it?

I blinked and went mostly to cash, probably 85% now. My timing is impeccable.....
I'm staying the course. Did a lot of research in conjunction with my FA. He told me that Chevron was ready to pop, and he didn't lie. Also talked about Abbott or Microsoft and decided to go with Abbott which so far has done well. Watched the others for a week and decided to go for it and got lucky so far. I'm not much for taking short term gains, but when I retire will probably do a lot of day trading.

Reactions: 70boiler
Despite my politics, this isn't intended as a Trump bash.
I have serious Market concerns with the suggestion of the returning to normal at Easter. The limitations that are currently in place, as well as potential increases, are all state or local government controlled. If it doesn't work out that there is a turn to normalcy by the chosen date, I can see an adverse market reaction may well be in the offing. I just think the commentary being put forward by the President can be a bad dynamic particularly given the apparent medical disagreement with it.
But....Trump has also stated that he will take the advice of Fauci and the female doc before he does anything. A lot of you don't think he's got a brain, but this is a huge go/no go. It's his political career, his final legacy maybe. I think he postpones it until sometime in May and then only certain parts of the country. He can keep NY, LA, and Seattle shut down until 2057 for all I care.

But....Trump has also stated that he will take the advice of Fauci and the female doc before he does anything. A lot of you don't think he's got a brain, but this is a huge go/no go. It's his political career, his final legacy maybe. I think he postpones it until sometime in May and then only certain parts of the country. He can keep NY, LA, and Seattle shut down until 2057 for all I care.
I understand what you are saying but the reason that began my post as I did is I wasn't trying to be pro or con about the Trump position but rather that if things don't trend to normality that the Market will react adversely as a result of the comments and the inability to deliver which will be argued as proof that the situation is far more serious than the country is being led to believe.
Her name is Dr. Birx, btw.
We can debate Trump and policy if you wish but again that certainly isn't my goal here.

I understand what you are saying but the reason that began my post as I did is I wasn't trying to be pro or con about the Trump position but rather that if things don't trend to normality that the Market will react adversely as a result of the comments and the inability to deliver which will be argued as proof that the situation is far more serious than the country is being led to believe.
We can debate Trump and policy if you wish but again that certainly isn't my goal here.

I think you are right that the stock market will react adversely if the shutdown ends too quickly and the virus continues to spread and kill.

For some reason I never can remember here name. Very intelligent along with Dr. Fauci and I think the two of them are strong enough to back Trump off an early quit. I'm hoping we stay the course until at least May.

Yeah, have to wonder about that, but the author is also a huge bitcoin guy pushing somewhat of an agenda.
Agreed, but I doubt that he posts his articles without oversight, either. As we know, things will go where they do whether we wring our hands over articles or not.

Are you into bitcoins? I have a friend who's a huge supporter yet he never makes any money with them.
Besides, I was always worried that Sean Connery, Pierce Brosnan or Daniel Craig would come after me to break up the international monetary conspiracy and I don't want to have to defend myself against them...

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Are you into bitcoins? I have a friend who's a huge supporter yet he never makes any money with them.
In early 2018, I bought Riot Blockchain as a momentum buy at about 12, sold it a few days later at 29 and never got back in. It's under 1 now.
That was pure luck.
I bought some other blockchain stocks and lost money on all of them.

AR-200339974.jpg

Hey 70....I'm selling my Victory and buying a Harley. I figure I'll be safer because a Harley can't catch anything.

I know...I know.
Lmao...
My 2 Superglides were shovelhead but had been worked so that wasn't so much my issue, holding on was.... the last one was a 74 cube stroked to a 96 with a large S&S carburetor (that I had to reduce the jet sizes to keep from fouling plugs at actual city riding speeds), that was a beast. If cranked hard the back end would always side slide leaving rubber on the road like a dragster. It would certainly open one's eyes pretty wide when you twisted the right grip hard.

what's everyone think: with the new unemployment numbers coming out as well as earnings, are we in for another big drop in the markets or is that information already baked in?
IMHO, I still think we go down to 17-18K on the Dow as a bottom. At least that's my reentry point as of right now.

what's everyone think: with the new unemployment numbers coming out as well as earnings, are we in for another big drop in the markets or is that information already baked in?
IMHO, I still think we go down to 17-18K on the Dow as a bottom. At least that's my reentry point as of right now.
Personal opinion...and it's not worth a lot....I don't think we see 18. I think the testing gives better info that expected.

I think we'll see 19 again, maybe a tick below but it won't last long.

Here's my recommendation for today AMD. A pretty positive picture. Prices are above the rising 40-week moving average line. I bought this a week ago and have had a good return. So far.;)

17-18k range would be about 15-20% fall from 21.2k. If I had a large chunk of cash on the side, would probably look at investing a percentage at different market levels. Dollar cost average.

And I initially would be sector specific. Consumer Staples, Utilities, Healthcare to start. And being a dividend investor, high quality dividend aristocrats.

And would seriously think about fixed assets. Treasuries and gov backed bonds.

Back from the morning run. Local freight train had every flatbed double stacked with containers. Except one, just had a single container. Prob 75 flatbeds. Don’t know if containers were full and don’t know if RR’s move empty containers.

Moving the goods.
FWIIW....My freight train report for the past week or so. Been out running about 7 of 10 days. 6-7 trains I saw with flat cars are prob at 50-75% capacity. Last 2-3 were pulling about 30-40 empties at the very back. Saw 2 trains on my run today. Train pulling flats was about 50% with 30-50 empty. Second train was pulling only covered hoppers, prob 75-100 total.

FWIIW....My freight train report for the past week or so. Been out running about 7 of 10 days. 6-7 trains I saw with flat cars are prob at 50-75% capacity. Last 2-3 were pulling about 30-40 empties at the very back. Saw 2 trains on my run today. Train pulling flats was about 50% with 30-50 empty. Second train was pulling only covered hoppers, prob 75-100 total.
They have to move the empties to locations where they're loaded or with the economic downturn maybe be stored.

They have to move the empties to locations where they're loaded or with the economic downturn maybe be stored.
Don’t recall where I read or saw the information, maybe an investment letter in the early 2000’s. There was a 2-3 paragraph write up about an investor that would watch the trains go by his house. Would count the number of cars, how often trains came by the house and over a period of time was able to determine the quality of the economy. Made some investment moves off this information.

Don’t recall where I read or saw the information, maybe an investment letter in the early 2000’s. There was a 2-3 paragraph write up about an investor that would watch the trains go by his house. Would count the number of cars, how often trains came by the house and over a period of time was able to determine the quality of the economy. Made some investment moves off this information.
Have a friend in Houston, Texas, in the Woodlands. He bought and sold and leased rail cars. Took a hit in '08 but for the last almost three years he's getting rich. He just retired and gave the business to his kids. Said if you see a rail car on a siding, it's probably one of his.

Some interesting military developments for consideration when we begin a more active and rational trading regimen -

USMC is going light and fast and is heading toward giving up tanks... Link
... and reducing its aircraft ... Link

The Army and USMC are looking very carefully again at brass free small arms rounds... Link

Reactions: SKYDOG
Hopefully, this will be a short term problem...

Investing.com: "U.S. banking group warns of 'massive' delays, tech issues with small-business rescue program"
Link

Hopefully, this will be a short term problem...

Investing.com: "U.S. banking group warns of 'massive' delays, tech issues with small-business rescue program"
Link
I think you, Bone, myself and others need to be looking for some small start up tech companies. Gates today with Chris Wallace said that's going to be the hot market coming out of this mess.

Reactions: 70boiler
Market futures up 800, maybe a good start for a strong week. Putting some money to work this week. Pretty much follow game plan from March. Using dividend money for any new investments.

Starting a real small position in Kroger (KR). Adding to three Vanguard funds - GNMA, Wellesley and Wellington. Will have a little more dividend money to reinvest later this month. Add to an existing treasury fund.

Goal for the month is about a 50/50 equity to fixed split.

2nd quarter earnings reporting will really ramp up in about 2 weeks. Most companies won’t provide much guidance and earnings are mostly priced in at today’s value. Next week should be JNJ, JPM and I think Citi report. Have a few dividend players on my watchlist. May look at starting a position in EMR and KMI in May. Sysco has been hit really hard. Look for that stock to rebound when we get back to work. Have had SYY in portfolio for over 10 years. May add a little after dividend payment this month.

Market futures up 800, maybe a good start for a strong week. Putting some money to work this week. Pretty much follow game plan from March. Using dividend money for any new investments.

Starting a real small position in Kroger (KR). Adding to three Vanguard funds - GNMA, Wellesley and Wellington. Will have a little more dividend money to reinvest later this month. Add to an existing treasury fund.

Goal for the month is about a 50/50 equity to fixed split.

2nd quarter earnings reporting will really ramp up in about 2 weeks. Most companies won’t provide much guidance and earnings are mostly priced in at today’s value. Next week should be JNJ, JPM and I think Citi report. Have a few dividend players on my watchlist. May look at starting a position in EMR and KMI in May. Sysco has been hit really hard. Look for that stock to rebound when we get back to work. Have had SYY in portfolio for over 10 years. May add a little after dividend payment this month.
Look at Inovio. Also Novavax.

Look at Inovio. Also Novavax.
Both maybe ok companies, way to speculative for me. Being a dividend investor, both fail the initial screen. As a retiree, even before, I only invest in dividend payers. I do get more than enough growth from my dividend stocks. Always looking to add to my monthly and quarterly income stream.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT