ADVERTISEMENT

These kids seem nice

It was mentioned up-thread that fake news was "very rare". Yet, we are 20 days into the year and the 3 biggest stories of the year all turned out to be fake news, 2 of them racially driven. Buzzfeed, Houston shooter, and these kids. The AOC dance video reaaction was another example of fake news, but that was just an attempted smear campaign.

Why is this link happening? Everyone know what is going on there. Why is it being reported like this? Why are they trying to destroy these kids at all costs?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...an-phillips-nick-sandmann-20190121-story.html

Why does the MSM do this? What can be done about it?

The 3 biggest stories of the year? No mention of the shutdown, but yeah, ok, if you say so.

Props to you for sticking to your strategy of repeating things as fact over and over and over again.

It was mentioned up-thread that fake news was "very rare". Yet, we are 20 days into the year and the 3 biggest stories of the year all turned out to be fake news, 2 of them racially driven. Buzzfeed, Houston shooter, and these kids. The AOC dance video reaaction was another example of fake news, but that was just an attempted smear campaign.

Why is this link happening? Everyone know what is going on there. Why is it being reported like this? Why are they trying to destroy these kids at all costs?

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/na...an-phillips-nick-sandmann-20190121-story.html

well this the why...https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/04/magazine/cnn-had-a-problem-donald-trump-solved-it.html
What can be done...hard to say, but every fake story is a step back for solving any real prejudice problems.

I really hate this loose definition of "fake news" that you're using here. Buzzfeed is not fake news - it's probably incomplete journalism. We don't know the extent of what is and isn't accurate in that story because the Special Counsel didn't offer those details - only that the information being reported did not come from their office. The Houston shooter was identified by a person in the car and that was reported. That's not fake news - that's reporting what was learned at the time. Fake News is Pizzagate - completely made up or manufactured news, often by foreign actors/bots - for the sole purpose of creating drama/division, etc.

We really need to stop using it to describe poorly sourced stories, legitimate inaccuracies, and especially as an attack on a valid story you don't like.

I don't think the Houston shooter story qualifies but whatever.
We may not yet have the whole story on the Covington kids but the media is putting out the both sides of the protest story now. They did jump the gun but if they were truly biased they wouldn't be showing the other side of the story at all.

As for being rare, it is. When you consider how much news is reported every week and how many stories are proven wrong or made up, it is rare.
The reality is Trumpers don't like the ratio of negative news to positive news put out about Trump. Much of that is on Trump himself.
Keeping Rudy off the air would certainly help. If a man climbed out of a time capsule and watched Rudy for 15 minutes his first reaction would be that Rudy's client is an idiot for putting him on TV.

"Over the last couple days I’ve been watching the unfolding reaction and re-reactions to the video of the confrontation between Native American activist and elder Nathan Phillips and a crowd of high school students from Covington, Kentucky on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. The whole story is a good example of how we can react quickly to a zoomed in (both literally and metaphorically) video and miss a lot of what led up to it, as well as some key context. With that said, though, when you add all the context I’m not sure it’s all that different from what it looked like on the first go, despite some now saying the new evidence and new videos change everything."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/making-sense-of-the-phillips-sandman-viral-video

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this link. I thought it a good summary and agree with his conclusions. There was an apology from the diocese. I do not understand why the chaperones did nothing as there was a real possibility of harm if the crowd had degenerated into a mob.

"Over the last couple days I’ve been watching the unfolding reaction and re-reactions to the video of the confrontation between Native American activist and elder Nathan Phillips and a crowd of high school students from Covington, Kentucky on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial in Washington. The whole story is a good example of how we can react quickly to a zoomed in (both literally and metaphorically) video and miss a lot of what led up to it, as well as some key context. With that said, though, when you add all the context I’m not sure it’s all that different from what it looked like on the first go, despite some now saying the new evidence and new videos change everything."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/making-sense-of-the-phillips-sandman-viral-video
I tend to agree. I don't think that I am seeing a great deal that would make me proud to be the parent/grandparent of many of the kids, nor of the mother who has been quoted. I really hope that my impression is incorrect.

I don't think the Houston shooter story qualifies but whatever.
We may not yet have the whole story on the Covington kids but the media is putting out the both sides of the protest story now. They did jump the gun but if they were truly biased they wouldn't be showing the other side of the story at all.

As for being rare, it is. When you consider how much news is reported every week and how many stories are proven wrong or made up, it is rare.
The reality is Trumpers don't like the ratio of negative news to positive news put out about Trump. Much of that is on Trump himself.
Keeping Rudy off the air would certainly help. If a man climbed out of a time capsule and watched Rudy for 15 minutes his first reaction would be that Rudy's client is an idiot for putting him on TV.

That is horse crap and you know it. That story was released and still images were used of the incident and the initial headlines and the initial story talked about how violent the incident was that occurred. The reporters had the video-where the hell do you think they got the still shots and 3-5 second clips from? And where was the violence? That is true bias. The only reason the media backed off and changed their story was due to the fact that other individuals released their entire video of the incident.

The reality is there is one major news outlet that is center and right. The rest are pretty far left. Some of those outlets try to hide that fact, some do not. Some of the segments on the outlets are more news related than others, most are editorial/opinion pieces. So of course there are going to be more negative news stories on Trump. Go to a place like realclearpolitics.com and it is more 50/50.

I tend to agree. I don't think that I am seeing a great deal that would make me proud to be the parent/grandparent of many of the kids, nor of the mother who has been quoted. I really hope that my impression is incorrect.

Are you kidding me? Ok, I will bite, what would you want your kid/grandkid to do?

The kids were followed, being bullied, had racist and bigoted remarks thrown their way, against their religion, and their families were attacked. The alleged comments they made have not been heard on any video. Finally stood their ground, and there was no violence even though that group could have easily over taken the Indian and BI. They were at public grounds, waiting for a bus, and had a right to be there.

I will give you a chance to respond. But in your response I would like you to address how you taught your kids/grandkids to stand up for themselves, have some conviction, and/or a backbone. This ought to be interesting.

I would like any young person to show respect for any older person. What I disliked about this young man’s behavior was that he was in the Native American’s personal space and in the back of the “shot” on the right side, you can see other young people laughing and mocking him. I personally, feel threatened when anybody gets in my personal space so perhaps I am too sensitive.

I would like any young person to show respect for any older person. What I disliked about this young man’s behavior was that he was in the Native American’s personal space and in the back of the “shot” on the right side, you can see other young people laughing and mocking him. I personally, feel threatened when anybody gets in my personal space so perhaps I am too sensitive.

The kids were tomahawk chopping, ffs. But yeah, they're just poor innocents who did nothing wrong...

The Parkland students, on the other hand, *those* are some real troublemakers!

Are you kidding me? Ok, I will bite, what would you want your kid/grandkid to do?

The kids were followed, being bullied, had racist and bigoted remarks thrown their way, against their religion, and their families were attacked. The alleged comments they made have not been heard on any video. Finally stood their ground, and there was no violence even though that group could have easily over taken the Indian and BI. They were at public grounds, waiting for a bus, and had a right to be there.

I will give you a chance to respond. But in your response I would like you to address how you taught your kids/grandkids to stand up for themselves, have some conviction, and/or a backbone. This ought to be interesting.
How wonderful that you will give me a chance to respond.
Actually, I raised me children in general accord with many of the principles of the pre-Trump Republican concepts of family values, including respect for elders, respect for other's culture, respect for other's opinions, the concept that just because you may have a right to do something doesn't mean that it is a good idea, when you are confronted in a big city by people that appear "unusual" confrontation and engagement are likely not the best of ideas.
I would suggest that you read a more articulate expression by a Roman Catholic priest at
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EEAE&usg=AOvVaw2pWOi3U9epqJq0Hr1ubZym&ampcf=1

How wonderful that you will give me a chance to respond.
Actually, I raised me children in general accord with many of the principles of the pre-Trump Republican concepts of family values, including respect for elders, respect for other's culture, respect for other's opinions, the concept that just because you may have a right to do something doesn't mean that it is a good idea, when you are confronted in a big city by people that appear "unusual" confrontation and engagement are likely not the best of ideas.
I would suggest that you read a more articulate expression by a Roman Catholic priest at
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...EEAE&usg=AOvVaw2pWOi3U9epqJq0Hr1ubZym&ampcf=1

Nathan Sandman only wishes he did not do what he did due to the over zealous and ill informed reaction to what he did, or more importantly did not do.

Ironic part is, you preach respect for elders. And then the opinion is they should have turned their backs and walked away. I am sure you see the hypocrisy in that statement.

Still not sure I have seen any disrespect for any culture or others opinions unless it was from the Black Israelites crew and a few of the NA. I think it is obvious Nathan Phillips the Native American lied his way through the entire thing.

I also think it is naive that many on here have posted that they should have walked away, while it is obvious from film that the Native Americans and Black Israelites were following them. The students did not stop until they got to their place of pick up, and the Native Americans and BI walked up to them. People are going to see and believe what they want I guess.

I found it interesting that you ignored the part about standing up for themselves, having a backbone, and conviction. Pretty much figured you would.

As I understand it they were in DC for a right to life march. I'm not sure where having engaged with either of the other groups or even simply "standing ground," let alone supporting Trump, conforms with the Catholic view on life.

http://www.usccb.org/beliefs-and-te...hing/life-and-dignity-of-the-human-person.cfm

But then this is what happened when the Church turned away from many of its own social justice beliefs in its rush to join forces with politicians on he issue of abortion.

That is horse crap and you know it. That story was released and still images were used of the incident and the initial headlines and the initial story talked about how violent the incident was that occurred. The reporters had the video-where the hell do you think they got the still shots and 3-5 second clips from? And where was the violence? That is true bias. The only reason the media backed off and changed their story was due to the fact that other individuals released their entire video of the incident.

The reality is there is one major news outlet that is center and right. The rest are pretty far left. Some of those outlets try to hide that fact, some do not. Some of the segments on the outlets are more news related than others, most are editorial/opinion pieces. So of course there are going to be more negative news stories on Trump. Go to a place like realclearpolitics.com and it is more 50/50.
We have certainly seen everything there is to see about the incident. But what I said was we may not have seen everything about the COVINGTON KIDS. Now the media is looking at their past. I saw something yesterday about a blackface at a basketball game. Its BS, they should leave the kids alone and move on. But I'm sure the digging will continue. You're so quick to assume and attack you blew right past what I said.

The media backed off because more info became available.....and they did so pretty quickly. It's ironic that social media started the controversy and stopped it.

Lol. The president has been under investigation for two years, he shutdown the government, he embraces our enemies and argues with our friends, lies and name calling has become his norm......and he WANTS to be the news. Yet you people wonder why he's talked about in the media.

I read realclear all the time. It's not news, it's opinions from both sides. In that way it is 50/50.

We have certainly seen everything there is to see about the incident. But what I said was we may not have seen everything about the COVINGTON KIDS. Now the media is looking at their past. I saw something yesterday about a blackface at a basketball game. Its BS, they should leave the kids alone and move on. But I'm sure the digging will continue. You're so quick to assume and attack you blew right past what I said.

The media backed off because more info became available.....and they did so pretty quickly. It's ironic that social media started the controversy and stopped it.

Lol. The president has been under investigation for two years, he shutdown the government, he embraces our enemies and argues with our friends, lies and name calling has become his norm......and he WANTS to be the news. Yet you people wonder why he's talked about in the media.

I read realclear all the time. It's not news, it's opinions from both sides. In that way it is 50/50.

No, not true. I did not blow by anything. From your post, "They did jump the gun but if they were truly biased they wouldn't be showing the other side of the story at all."

The only reason the other side of the story is now covered or was covered is because other people have video of the incident. The media outlets initially had it, but chose to run with stills and selected 3-5 second clips instead of showing the entire incident. And again, where was the violence stated in all of the headlines? If they were not truly biased they would have never done that to begin with. That was my point. The more information that became available was information they had but did not disclose.

They are digging into the HS kids past which everyone knew was coming. Largely because the media wants to claim they were right about the kids in the incident, not the incident itself, when their initial reporting of it was wrong. If the media was truly not biased one would hear about the background of the NA and/or BI. Some fringe media outlets have covered it-not the mainstream. Why? Bias.

I did not assume anything quickly, I read what you wrote, and discredited it.

As for Trump, he wants to be talked about, the center of attention. I do not wonder why he is in the media. That is what he cares about. Not being well liked or anything else. Big differences between wanting attention, wanting to be well liked, popular, or in the news. Obama was one that cared about being well liked. Trump, not so much. People that care about being well liked would not do the dirty attack dog work Trump does, they have others do it for them.

Reactions: SKYDOG
No, not true. I did not blow by anything. From your post, "They did jump the gun but if they were truly biased they wouldn't be showing the other side of the story at all."

The only reason the other side of the story is now covered or was covered is because other people have video of the incident. The media outlets initially had it, but chose to run with stills and selected 3-5 second clips instead of showing the entire incident. And again, where was the violence stated in all of the headlines? If they were not truly biased they would have never done that to begin with. That was my point. The more information that became available was information they had but did not disclose.

They are digging into the HS kids past which everyone knew was coming. Largely because the media wants to claim they were right about the kids in the incident, not the incident itself, when their initial reporting of it was wrong. If the media was truly not biased one would hear about the background of the NA and/or BI. Some fringe media outlets have covered it-not the mainstream. Why? Bias.

I did not assume anything quickly, I read what you wrote, and discredited it.

As for Trump, he wants to be talked about, the center of attention. I do not wonder why he is in the media. That is what he cares about. Not being well liked or anything else. Big differences between wanting attention, wanting to be well liked, popular, or in the news. Obama was one that cared about being well liked. Trump, not so much. People that care about being well liked would not do the dirty attack dog work Trump does, they have others do it for them.
You assumed my reference to the Covington kids was about the incident itself.....that there was more coming out. It wasn't. It was about the media looking into their background, that the story wasn't complete. Can't be more clear than that. You're so hung up on the media you're framing everything in those terms.

New video was coming out regularly. You act like the first video out showed the complete picture and the media chose to ignore parts of it. I don't think that's the case......at all, but I have no desire to prove it or fight about it.

As for Trump, he wants to be popular with everybody but he can't when he needs his base to be reelected, so he caters to them. Whatever. Judging the level of Trump's desire to be liked is not worth arguing about.

You assumed my reference to the Covington kids was about the incident itself.....that there was more coming out. It wasn't. It was about the media looking into their background, that the story wasn't complete. Can't be more clear than that. You're so hung up on the media you're framing everything in those terms.

New video was coming out regularly. You act like the first video out showed the complete picture and the media chose to ignore parts of it. I don't think that's the case......at all, but I have no desire to prove it or fight about it.

As for Trump, he wants to be popular with everybody but he can't when he needs his base to be reelected, so he caters to them. Whatever. Judging the level of Trump's desire to be liked is not worth arguing about.

I was clear in what my post was in response too. I quoted the sentence where you said they were not truly biased. I disagreed and said why.

As for the video and what was available to them, the story with the violence in headline, the still shots, and 3-5 second clips were out. But on different social media the entire or larger parts of incident were out and had been for some time. About as obvious as it gets what happened.

I was clear in what my post was in response too. I quoted the sentence where you said they were not truly biased. I disagreed and said why.

As for the video and what was available to them, the story with the violence in headline, the still shots, and 3-5 second clips were out. But on different social media the entire or larger parts of incident were out and had been for some time. About as obvious as it gets what happened.

What do you think is the primary motivator for any single cable channel - news or otherwise?

What do you think is the primary motivator for any single cable channel - news or otherwise?

Pushing their agenda and finding reporters or “news” anchors that serve as hosts to their editorials, which increases ratings, which in turn increases add revenue. Get clicks on stories.

I understand that. And people will pursue what they want to hear or reinforce their beliefs.

That said, to leave minors hung out to dry, in a situation where they did little wrong, and to be kind ‘misrepresent’ what happened is bs.

Pushing their agenda and finding reporters or “news” anchors that serve as hosts to their editorials, which increases ratings, which in turn increases add revenue. Get clicks on stories.

I understand that. And people will pursue what they want to hear or reinforce their beliefs.

That said, to leave minors hung out to dry, in a situation where they did little wrong, and to be kind ‘misrepresent’ what happened is bs.

Correct. It's $. There is no "bias" except the bias that sells. If a certain bias is selling, then that's the invisible hand of media capitalism at work. There are objective options out there - not to mention a whole bunch of ways to just watch raw footage (C-Span, etc.).

As for the faux outrage at attacking minors - I'll believe it when the same group of pearl clutchers condemn Fox News and other conservative bias peddling outlets for their treatment of the Parkland survivors. And that doesn't even begin to tell the story of bias - because for every tear spilled over the poor, poor Covington kids, there should be 10 tears for every minority accused of committing a crime that didn't commit it - something that happens all the time.

Correct. It's $. There is no "bias" except the bias that sells. If a certain bias is selling, then that's the invisible hand of media capitalism at work. There are objective options out there - not to mention a whole bunch of ways to just watch raw footage (C-Span, etc.).

As for the faux outrage at attacking minors - I'll believe it when the same group of pearl clutchers condemn Fox News and other conservative bias peddling outlets for their treatment of the Parkland survivors. And that doesn't even begin to tell the story of bias - because for every tear spilled over the poor, poor Covington kids, there should be 10 tears for every minority accused of committing a crime that didn't commit it - something that happens all the time.

Don't forget that every black teen shot by a cop acted "disrespectfully" to that cop and basically had it coming.

Oh, and also little children separated from their parents at the border. Their new accommodations are so nice!

Reactions: NukeLaloosh
I just read that Nathan Sandman’s family hired a PR firm from Louisville to polish his image and to coach him for media appearances. Interesting!

Who knows that someday all schools may be abolished with students learning on the internet at their own pace. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
lol that's not what he wants. he wants everyone at the lowest common denominator so they can be stupid, indoctrinated and controlled. no different at all than a religious education except we are worshiping the state now. who cares what commies or people with big hats say!

The Roman Catholic Bishop of Lexington, Kentucky had some thoughts about things related to the incident
https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article224984305.html&psig=AOvVaw3TRH8cZzlJiWbf16eK8kUk&ust=1548389706826433
where's the condemnation for the ADULTS that started hurling insults at the KIDS?
Black Hebrew Israelites “child-molesting f**gots”, “dirty ass crackers”, “dusty ass crackers", “racist bastards”. Yep but it was all the white kids in the maga hats. there is no hope for america. nietzsche was right: Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking. Confusion of language of good and evil; this sign I give unto you as the sign of the state.

Who knows that someday all schools may be abolished with students learning on the internet at their own pace. Nothing would surprise me anymore.
lol that's not what he wants. he wants everyone at the lowest common denominator so they can be stupid, indoctrinated and controlled. no different at all than a religious education except we are worshiping the state now. who cares what commies or people with big hats say!

This is a perfect description of Trump and his base.

Talking about stupid and indoctrinated...the slightest bit of critical thinking toward almost anything Trump and the GOP says, completely destroys their argument.

where's the condemnation for the ADULTS that started hurling insults at the KIDS?
Black Hebrew Israelites “child-molesting f**gots”, “dirty ass crackers”, “dusty ass crackers", “racist bastards”. Yep but it was all the white kids in the maga hats. there is no hope for america. nietzsche was right: Every one being allowed to learn to read, ruineth in the long run not only writing but also thinking. Confusion of language of good and evil; this sign I give unto you as the sign of the state.

The alt-right is drunk on bad readings of Nietzsche. The Nazis were too.

https://www.vox.com/2017/8/17/16140846/alt-right-nietzsche-richard-spencer-nazism

Reactions: kescwi
I just read that Nathan Sandman’s family hired a PR firm from Louisville to polish his image and to coach him for media appearances. Interesting!

I agree it is interesting. He should not need a pr firm to be able to tell his story. That firm got him on nbc. NBC was crushed for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bethboilerfan

Faux outrage? One, not outraged. I find it somewhat comical certain posters fell for the same crap from the media. Personally think the entire incident minus the BI is what Mall was about. I do find the reaction is sad. And what is more sad is after video completely contradicts what was initially reported, many still do not change their mind on topic. Screw it, they are wearing MAGA gear, Catholic, private school-I am going to blame them anyway.

As for faux outrage-I typically do not tell other people what or what not they should be concerned with. If it is a concern for them, it is a concern. Because I do not find concern, or it is not high only my list of concerns, does not make it a faux topic.

The faux argument is from the same play book as I am offended by this or that so do not say it/wear it, or those are not important topics just talking points. Trying to subdue an argument while claiming free speech.

Being accused of a crime is not an issue. That is what courts/grand juries/juries are for. Being convicted of a crime that one did not commit, spending time in jail, sure, tears drop for that. All of the settlement money in the world, if one gets it, will not get the time back in one's life.

I do not know/remember the details of what FoxNews did or did not do to Parkland Survivors. I do remember almost right away it got a bit contentious as the Survivors came out and blamed Republicans, NRA, and Second Amendment. And some news media fired back. I thought it was Nugent who said they were souless and ignorant but I may be wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT