ADVERTISEMENT

From a friend with a son who played against UCONN

Do Dah Day

All-American
Nov 8, 2015
I have tried hard to write this message well. But I don't seem to be able to. As I said on @tjreese 's post, it may take many years (for me, 62) to deeply and truly know the Boiler sense of class and family. Why Paint is our perfect coach. Why Kramer and Cardinal and Gillis are OUR GUYS, regardless of their stats... as are Smith, who was too small to play big time basketball, and Loyer, who needed a lot more time in the weightroom, to Edey, who came back to do THIS with his family, for TKR, who chose the Boilers over all the pressure from southern Indiana to go elsewhere, to Lance, who brought exactly what was needed into the Lockeroom - the pure JOY of playing the game. To Paint, who persevered through the BS of all the couch coaches who get paid nothing to tell those who are professionals what to do.

From a friend with a son who played against UCONN this year:
UCON fans are the worst ... they waited at our team bus after beating us and said horrible things to our players parents, young siblings, grandparents. When coache's kids, who were roughly 3&4 were shown on the Jumbotron they booed and said things even I can’t repeat. The internet obviously is worse but their behavior in person was appalling

I have tried hard to write this message well. But I don't seem to be able to. As I said on @tjreese 's post, it may take many years (for me, 62) to deeply and truly know the Boiler sense of class and family. Why Paint is our perfect coach. Why Kramer and Cardinal and Gillis are OUR GUYS, regardless of their stats... as are Smith, who was too small to play big time basketball, and Loyer, who needed a lot more time in the weightroom, to Edey, who came back to do THIS with his family, for TKR, who chose the Boilers over all the pressure from southern Indiana to go elsewhere, to Lance, who brought exactly what was needed into the Lockeroom - the pure JOY of playing the game. To Paint, who persevered through the BS of all the couch coaches who get paid nothing to tell those who are professionals what to do.

UCON fans are the worst ... they waited at our team bus after beating us and said horrible things to our players parents, young siblings, grandparents. When coache's kids, who were roughly 3&4 were shown on the Jumbotron they booed and said things even I can’t repeat. The internet obviously is worse but their behavior in person was appalling
There is an East coast persona .... redefining ass-holeness ... Joisey stuff ...

There is a sense of good versus bad in behavior and in the game of life which is the most important game, Purdue will be winners no matter the score. THAT is appreciated by me and all that are able to take a game we love and understand it is a game. The examples you listed show so much more than the play shown in games. Appreciation for all that goes into the performance of players on the court is paramount in my opinion...and that includes sacrifice of the body as well as sacrifice in general. The world is short on virtues and many would do well to emulate the many virtues this team of players and staff share. Purdue takes a backseat to nobody!

Meh….

Ass-holeiness is not a trait specific to the East Coast—- witness the way those sub-human Purdue “fans” treated Braden Smith and his family after the FDU game last year.

A sad reality of the world we inhabit…
living in Eastern Pa., I agree

Reactions: tjreese
Meh….

Ass-holeiness is not a trait specific to the East Coast—- witness the way those sub-human Purdue “fans” treated Braden Smith and his family after the FDU game last year.

A sad reality of the world we inhabit…
It isn't specific, but arrogance may be more common in both coasts than in the heartland

Reactions: BoilerAndy
It isn't specific, but arrogance may be more common in both coasts than in the heartland
Really?

As a native heartlander who’s lived (and loved) the East Coast, I’d appreciate any empirical data you might have to support this take…

I’m willing to bet that the dip$hits who accosted the Smith family , as well as the scumbags who were glad Robbie Hummel blew out his knee because he was insufficiently pro-Purdue as a TV analyst, were “Heartlanders”…

Arrogance and reprehensible behavior flourish nationwide, unfortunately.

Reactions: drewjin
That's a common view in the Heartland, but I'm not convinced. I've lived in western Tennessee for 16 years--very much the Heartland. Many southerners have an epically inflated sense of themselves and "The South."

Reactions: RossMackey
Really?

As a native heartlander who’s lived (and loved) the East Coast, I’d appreciate any empirical data you might have to support this take…

I’m willing to bet that the dip$hits who accosted the Smith family , as well as the scumbags who were glad Robbie Hummel blew out his knee because he was insufficiently pro-Purdue as a TV analyst, were “Heartlanders”…

Oh I agree with those that attacked the Smiths. I'm also unaware of any attempt at accumulating any empirical data you would request anywhere on such a question. How would you measure it as a general thought ,let alone the problems of accuracy in questions and sampling? Lack of empirical data doesn't mean something doesn't exist...as well as it doesn't mean it does.

I don't think the term "fly over states" was a thought in a vacuum and so the obvious question would be ...is this the thought of many? Many doesn't mean it has to describe you, but the term originated somehow. Are you aware of a term that describes the heartland in a similar manner? If not, then perhaps both coasts as I referenced have earned in some way a perception? Lastly, yes arrogance and reprehensible behavior is not only confined to one geographical behavior.

What do you think gave root to the term fly over states?

Reactions: drewjin
Really?

How many people was that?

Go to a middle school and high school game anywhere and you will see parents and grandparents act like complete (pick any word here). We live in a society of “me’ attitudes. The COVID pandemic just made it worse.
We are playing for a National Championship and we have posters bickering about missed calls, refs, players, etc. We won last night. Let’s enjoy this!!
I am starting to get older and I have medical problems. People that have been on here for a while know what I have. This might be the only National Championship for the men’s basketball and football that I ever get to see.
Purdue is a family. That is what I think of people on this board. Families fight, but we come together. Tomorrow night, let’s win this as a family!

That's a common view in the Heartland, but I'm not convinced. I've lived in western Tennessee for 16 years--very much the Heartland. Many southerners have an epically inflated sense of themselves and "The South."
Any idea how this originated? What do you think gave root to the term fly over states?

Relative to the south in general in what I sense in some things I read, but certainly having not experienced in person, I believe a puffing of the chest in what they believe is a defense mechanism as a result of Sherman's March, the Civil War in general and the portrayal after. I'm not advocating the accuracy of their view, but we know the purity of a view written by the victors of war is many times not as pure as written.

Thomas Sowell has written about the view of the south in Antebellum being one noticed as backward by the Hessians prior to the war. The Hessians were amazed the south continued to plow around stumps year after year instead of removing them. The irony today is the phrase of when confronted with a roadblock, just go around it. ;)

Reactions: Do Dah Day
We people from Jersey (only New Yorkers say Joisey) hate UConn fans too. I think they rank # 1, with Syracuse fans close behind.
There's definitely a distinction between Jersey and New Yorkers. Arrogant pricks from NY refer to Jersey (and sometimes blue collar towns in NE Pennsylvania) as the "armpit of America". My guess is that the worst of the douchebag UCONN fans are from the NY area.

Really?

Having travelled quite a bit throughout the USA most of my adult life, I can tell you that there are regional cultures where people talk to and treat each other differently than in other regions. The way people deal with each other in, say Newark, is accepted in Newark, but is considered rude in Indiana.

Oh I agree with those that attacked the Smiths. I'm also unaware of any attempt at accumulating any empirical data you would request anywhere on such a question. How would you measure it as a general thought ,let alone the problems of accuracy in questions and sampling? Lack of empirical data doesn't mean something doesn't exist...as well as it doesn't mean it does.

I don't think the term "fly over states" was a thought in a vacuum and so the obvious question would be ...is this the thought of many? Many doesn't mean it has to describe you, but the term originated somehow. Are you aware of a term that describes the heartland in a similar manner? If not, then perhaps both coasts as I referenced have earned in some way a perception? Lastly, yes arrogance and reprehensible behavior is not only confined to one geographical behavior.

What do you think gave root to the term fly over states?
My guess is that the term “ flyover states” is the result of the fact that many more people travel to the coasts, as opposed to the middle of the country.

That’s simple geography and math, as far as I’m concerned— Your inference that this is arrogance on the part of people who aren’t blessed to live in the Heartland doesn’t hold water.

I’ll leave you with a wonderful quote from Eleanor Roosevelt:

No one can make you feel inferior without your permission “. 😉

Go to a middle school and high school game anywhere and you will see parents and grandparents act like complete (pick any word here). We live in a society of “me’ attitudes. The COVID pandemic just made it worse.
We are playing for a National Championship and we have posters bickering about missed calls, refs, players, etc. We won last night. Let’s enjoy this!!
I am starting to get older and I have medical problems. People that have been on here for a while know what I have. This might be the only National Championship for the men’s basketball and football that I ever get to see.
Purdue is a family. That is what I think of people on this board. Families fight, but we come together. Tomorrow night, let’s win this as a family!
I've been on here for a long time and unaware of your medical issues which I'm sorry to have just now been informed. What you did do perhaps as an accident it to not only correctly point out the "me" attitude and to hell with everything else like a child that hasn't grown out of the Peter Pan stage as Jordan Peterson would say. The "me" attitude sometimes reflects the insecurity of a person as well. Purdue has a game and we all wish for the best, but it is a game and insignificant in the battles some are fighting.

My guess is that the term “ flyover states” is the result of the fact that many more people travel to the coasts, as opposed to the middle of the country.

That’s simple geography and math, as far as I’m concerned— Your inference that this is arrogance on the part of people who aren’t blessed to live in the Heartland doesn’t hold water.

I love quotes and that one is good AND true!!!! However, anyone that has an inkling of me knows nobody is going to make me feel inferior and that shouldn't be confused as superior either. I don't look to others for approval, and that too shouldn't be confused in that I cannot learn things from others. However, the quote and songs (fly over state/don't try that in a small town) or Hillary's degenerates in those fly over states suggest something much more than geography and math although I'm unsure what those two have to do with it??? Still, it may not be true in your experience.

We people from Jersey (only New Yorkers say Joisey) hate UConn fans too. I think they rank # 1, with Syracuse fans close behind.
Ah, pockets of virtue! Seriously, one of my friends at Purdue was from Upper Saddle River New Jersey! ;)

Really?

Yes the % of arrogant jerks relative to the total population is likely the same nation wide. Just more population density on the coasts.....thus more jerkwads.

There is a sense of good versus bad in behavior and in the game of life which is the most important game, Purdue will be winners no matter the score. THAT is appreciated by me and all that are able to take a game we love and understand it is a game. The examples you listed show so much more than the play shown in games. Appreciation for all that goes into the performance of players on the court is paramount in my opinion...and that includes sacrifice of the body as well as sacrifice in general. The world is short on virtues and many would do well to emulate the many virtues this team of players and staff share. Purdue takes a backseat to nobody!
Luv Ya' Buddy!

Ah, pockets of virtue! Seriously, one of my friends at Purdue was from Upper Saddle River New Jersey! ;)
One of my best friends my freshman year was from Ossining, NY. His mom had been a cook at Sing Sing Prison his whole life ... he was a walking education for me.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: drewjin and tjreese
Having travelled quite a bit throughout the USA most of my adult life, I can tell you that there are regional cultures where people talk to and treat each other differently than in other regions. The way people deal with each other in, say Newark, is accepted in Newark, but is considered rude in Indiana.
Agree. My Dad is from Newark, and that’s the reason he and my Mom choose to move to Indiana to raise a family. She’s from the south, which IMHO has a similar neighborly feel though it depends on how big of a city you’re in. People pride themselves on different points of integrity, and in some places people are used to a culture that grew up with neighbors and their parents knowing each other for generations. Newark is a cluster of different dynamics and points of stress. There are jerks and nice people everywhere, so I think the difference is what you expect a typical random person you encounter to be. If you’re on a country road in southern Indiana and you pass somebody coming the other direction on a nice day, they’ll probably wave and smile, just because they wanted to share in the camaraderie of being on the road. But if you try that in some cities or parts of the world, people will be very suspicious of your motive. I know some lovely people on the east coast including Family, but they have to have their guard up on a daily basis more than us midwesterners.

Last edited:
I traveled some from east coast to west and down south with much more in the "rust belt" and maybe 13 or so places in Mexico and a couple in Canada. Thomas Sowell in most if not all his books talks about culture and not only the death when totally isolated over time, but the carrying of culture to various locations as it moves geographically absent assimilation. All cultures are NOT the same, nor are all people inside a given culture the same even if they may share a lot of thought

Reactions: BoilerAndy
They have a team that is 5-5 in National Championship games, going for a sixth. You’ve seen what 5 Nattys turned IU fans into. So, I’m not surprised. As for me, I never needed any national championships to be an asshole. I came by it naturally.

Any idea how this originated? What do you think gave root to the term fly over states?

Relative to the south in general in what I sense in some things I read, but certainly having not experienced in person, I believe a puffing of the chest in what they believe is a defense mechanism as a result of Sherman's March, the Civil War in general and the portrayal after. I'm not advocating the accuracy of their view, but we know the purity of a view written by the victors of war is many times not as pure as written.

Thomas Sowell has written about the view of the south in Antebellum being one noticed as backward by the Hessians prior to the war. The Hessians were amazed the south continued to plow around stumps year after year instead of removing them. The irony today is the phrase of when confronted with a roadblock, just go around it. ;)
Look at a map of repub and dem states ... that makes it pretty clear.

• Haha
Kansas alum raised in a Purdue family here. UConn fans suck. When they came to Allen Fieldhouse they were complaining about everything. Before the game they were calling Allen field house trash on Twitter. I think it was Clingan’s dad who was complaining on Twitter how we put families on the upper corner of the arena. Sorry you’re not playing in an empty American Conference arena. Can’t wait for Purdue to kick their ass tomorrow and shut them up.

Side note, headed to the game tomorrow with my Purdue dad and Purdue brother and realized I have no idea where my old purdue shirts went, are they selling any Purdue gear anywhere in phoenix right now?

Kansas alum raised in a Purdue family here. UConn fans suck. When they came to Allen Fieldhouse they were complaining about everything. Before the game they were calling Allen field house trash on Twitter. I think it was Clingan’s dad who was complaining on Twitter how we put families on the upper corner of the arena. Sorry you’re not playing in an empty American Conference arena. Can’t wait for Purdue to kick their ass tomorrow and shut them up.

Side note, headed to the game tomorrow with my Purdue dad and Purdue brother and realized I have no idea where my old purdue shirts went, are they selling any Purdue gear anywhere in phoenix right now?
It's mostly final 4 stuff but some is team specific. There's a stand across the street to the east of the stadium with team stuff.

Yes the % of arrogant jerks relative to the total population is likely the same nation wide. Just more population density on the coasts.....thus more jerkwads.
That is entirely possible. That approach is a common thought on many social issues and many times just thrown out as a dismissal of a topic. I'm not suggesting you are doing such because I know you are truly concerned with society and personally experienced some inner working with different social economic people. That said, we know academic measures in certain areas are not spread equally amongst the population, nor is income.

I'll cut this short (but could write more) but there is absolutely nothing we should assume equal outcomes...nothing contrary to those that believe differently and there are legitimate reasons for it being such. Geography is just one example that creates unequal results (should we expect the same proportion of hockey players in Arizona as Minnesota?)...genes...inheritance being another and so forth. Not to beat Thomas Sowell's drum again, but you will find this topic in his books. I think if you can find time you will enjoy this read. It is one of his easier reads and as usual he has I think close to 60 pages of resources inside the book and many thought provoking ideas. I recommend it for everyone actually

61PW1XLx4IL._SL1500_.jpg

I think you're confusing feeling inferior with noticing that coasters think they are special. The people I know (and love) DO think they are special and worthy and all of that.
They wouldn't really be caught dead living in the droll, flat, featureless midwest. Hands in the dirt and maybe a pig or cow just isn't very 'cool'.
The bread basket of america and its endless plowed fields (visual poetry to me) isn't nearly as breathtaking as the endless blue ocean and sandy beaches or towering skyscrapers and international commerce. '

Last edited:
I think you're confusing feeling inferior with noticing that coasters think they are special. The people I know (and love) DO think they are special and worthy and all of that.
They wouldn't really be caught dead living in the droll, flat, featureless midwest. Hands in the dirt and maybe a pig or cow just isn't very 'cool'.
The bread basket of america and its endless plowed fields (visual poetry to me) isn't nearly as breathtaking as the endless blue ocean and sandy beaches or towering skyscrapers and international commerce. '
Are you by any chance related to Erin Piroutek?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT