ADVERTISEMENT

The reality for Purdue basketball for the next 7-10 years.

bonefish1

All-American
Oct 4, 2004
After sleeping on it and still waking up pissed off, I think I’ve come to the realization that Painter won’t be fired or resign. We’re likely to have him as HC for the next 7 (25 yrs as HC) to 10 years.
He’ll continue to do what he’s done which is have middle of the pack recruiting because he’ll recruit system players and not talent, he’ll win 20 games and finish upper half B10, make the tourney and maybe get to a few S16s but unlikely to go deeper and almost guaranteed not to get a NC. He won’t change his defensive or offensive philosophies and his teams will always be athletically a step slower than top teams.
To some, they’d feel satisfied and consider that a successful run. They believe Purdue has inherent recruiting disadvantages and we’ll never be considered a top school for talent. These same people are afraid of what would happen if we changed coaches and believe Painter is the best Purdue will ever do.

To others, they appreciate what Painter has done to this point but believe Purdue can do better and a change in culture is needed.

To the administration, they probably feel that as long as there are asses in the seats and the program is sound financially, then winning in March isn’t really the goal, it’s just gravy.

Where do you stand?

I know where I am. Time for a change…..

Its going to be brutal to watch all these athletes coming in and Painter sticking Berg on a big that can shoot over him. The future teams will be able to fly around everywhere but if the big man cant guard the perimeter it will be the same old situation. Happened every time Purdue played Mo Wagner with Haas. Will undo us every time until we decide to run Furst at Center or switch to a ZONE occasionally. Yes, Painter will stay at Purdue as long as he wants and he is to stubborn to adjust his schemes.

After sleeping on it and still waking up pissed off, I think I’ve come to the realization that Painter won’t be fired or resign. We’re likely to have him as HC for the next 7 (25 yrs as HC) to 10 years.
He’ll continue to do what he’s done which is have middle of the pack recruiting because he’ll recruit system players and not talent, he’ll win 20 games and finish upper half B10, make the tourney and maybe get to a few S16s but unlikely to go deeper and almost guaranteed not to get a NC. He won’t change his defensive or offensive philosophies and his teams will always be athletically a step slower than top teams.
To some, they’d feel satisfied and consider that a successful run. They believe Purdue has inherent recruiting disadvantages and we’ll never be considered a top school for talent. These same people are afraid of what would happen if we changed coaches and believe Painter is the best Purdue will ever do.

To others, they appreciate what Painter has done to this point but believe Purdue can do better and a change in culture is needed.

To the administration, they probably feel that as long as there are asses in the seats and the program is sound financially, then winning in March isn’t really the goal, it’s just gravy.

Where do you stand?

Very happy with Matt as our coach, not so much with you as a fan. I suggest you pick another team and you can be happier.

Reactions: mathboy
By who? Purdue "settlers"? He's not known as better than Izzo. And, now, it looks like Woodson is a problem. You can't speak silliness into truth.
I disagree with Woodson. Crean could beat Purdue, but was below in the coaching category.IMO

The difference is IU can recruit or tends to recruit athletes they feel can be coached. Purdue recruits by system. That system is proven to only get you so far. We need to recruit athletes and utilize Painters coaching. I think most feel the same.

To that point though. Painter is a stubborn coach and doesn't seem to adjust to the recruiting he desperately needs to win in the tournament.

Reactions: Sophie1970
I disagree with Woodson. Crean could beat Purdue, but was below in the coaching category.IMO

The difference is IU can recruit or tends to recruit athletes they feel can be coached. Purdue recruits by system. That system is proven to only get you so far. We need to recruit athletes and utilize Painters coaching. I think most feel the same.

To that point though. Painter is a stubborn coach and doesn't seem to adjust to the recruiting he desperately needs to win in the tournament.
Painter said it himself: he doesn’t care about stars. He wants system guys. Which means a lot of slow, unathletic Indiana white kids who are fundamentally sound but can’t compete athletically.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
Give me wins in March. Could care less about the conference. B10 hasn’t won a NC for 25 years. Not a strong conference nationally.
True, but Izzo gets to a F4 pretty regularly. IU fans can chuckle, but in 7 years it's 11-1 advantage in the tournament for us and that's with these bad losses. I'll say it again. I want MSU status and no other team.

Painter said it himself: he doesn’t care about stars. He wants system guys. Which means a lot of slow, unathletic Indiana white kids who are fundamentally sound but can’t compete athletically.
I don't disagree. That's where it becomes frustrating as a fan. That system can only do so much.

That point has been proven over and over. Get athletes and I truly believe this changes. We need more than just 1 or 2. We need a team of them. We have that and most likely get a F4 or NC.

Reactions: Sophie1970
True, but Izzo gets to a F4 pretty regularly. IU fans can chuckle, but in 7 years it's 11-1 advantage in the tournament for us and that's with these bad losses. I'll say it again. I want MSU status and no other team.
Do you think iu will get to a FF before Purdue does with Painter?

Reactions: GreenMachine93
Give me wins in March. Could care less about the conference. B10 hasn’t won a NC for 25 years. Not a strong conference nationally.
Agree 100%. Who cares about a B1G Championship in basketball. Football yes, basketball we need National Championship or the season is just another season.

I don't disagree. That's where it becomes frustrating as a fan. That system can only do so much.

That point has been proven over and over. Get athletes and I truly believe this changes. We need more than just 1 or 2. We need a team of them. We have that and most likely get a F4 or NC.
Then we need a new coach. Painter isn’t going to suddenly change (he hasn’t in 18 years). He’s going to keep recruiting like he has and hope he catches lightning in a bottle in the tourney like he did with Edwards in 18.
Back up the truck and hire Shaka.

We can disagree on Woodson. He just finished at the top of the B10G and has beaten us 3 straight? He's also preparing for a game Sunday. You can force yourself to look away, but things aren't looking great. It's not going to be fun if IU ran through a bunch of coaches to eventually find a keeper that tilts the scales back to them. Theirs is a program that does not settle. They don't care if they fire 10 coaches until they get the results they want. Unfortunately, we're scared of doing that. I'm not sure how get got here. Petrified of striving.

We can disagree on Woodson. He just finished at the top of the B10G and has beaten us 3 straight? He's also preparing for a game Sunday. You can force yourself to look away, but things aren't looking great. It's not going to be fun if IU ran through a bunch of coaches to eventually find a keeper that tilts the scales back to them. Theirs is a program that does not settle. They don't care if they fire 10 coaches until they get the results they want. Unfortunately, we're scared of doing that. I'm not sure how get got here. Petrified of striving.
100%. Too many at Purdue believe We can’t do better than Painter. I say BS. Get out the checkbook and see who’s interested. I’m done with the Keady/Painter Purdue culture.

You think his coaching is better? He was predicted to win the B1G, didn't win the B1G tourney and was ranked lower than preseason. All things Painter passed him.

I'm trying to figure where he was better? Because he beat a team he was predicted to beat in the 1st round? Painter is a better coach, but not a better recruiter to match winning in the tournament...what I said.

Woodson has done one thing and that's recruiting. Painter gets out of the system recruiting. We could have CE's winning big. IMO

100%. Too many at Purdue believe We can’t do better than Painter. I say BS. Get out the checkbook and see who’s interested. I’m done with the Keady/Painter Purdue culture.
Who would have thought that wanting to win a NT could possibly be frowned upon by others. That you could be attached and ridiculed for it. Weird times. Why don't we just stop keeping score and just play for fun since that's all that matters to some. Then hand out trophies to every team.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I have been very much on the Painter train and thought the idea of getting rid of him was completely asinine. After last night, I just don’t know anymore. This is the worst loss in NCAAT history. There is no way around it. Purdue’s worst team in history should be able to beat that team by double digits, and I’m not being hyperbolic. Based on the metrics, FDU is one of the worst teams to ever make the tournament. They didn’t win their regular season. They didn’t even win their conference tournament for a league that has NEVER won an NCAAT game prior to last night. Their coach was coaching in D2 last year. Painter just got embarrassed by a D2 coach. There’s no coming back from that. His reputation is forever tarnished, and that will follow him to every future NCAAT game we play, just adding to the pressure on the team. I love all Painter has done for this team and the University, but after last night, I can’t see us recovering with him at the helm.

Then we need a new coach. Painter isn’t going to suddenly change (he hasn’t in 18 years). He’s going to keep recruiting like he has and hope he catches lightning in a bottle in the tourney like he did with Edwards in 18.
Back up the truck and hire Shaka.
Shaka is a VCU or Marquette style of coach. He 's good, but is he great?

Beard is great and will continue to win no matter the location.

Where do you stand?

A step slower than top teams?? Dude…. We were 10 steps slower than a 16 seed that only made it in on a technicality. If this isn’t a wake up call for painter that his offense/recruiting is seriously flawed and limits us in march, then I don’t what else is.

I think we were secretly happy with early March exits as long as we beat IU. Now that IU may be on the rise again (Painter 1-3 against Woodson) I think the fan base may finally "get it".

You think his coaching is better? He was predicted to win the B1G, didn't win the B1G tourney and was ranked lower than preseason. All things Painter passed him.

I'm trying to figure where he was better? Because he beat a team he was predicted to beat in the 1st round? Painter is a better coach, but not a better recruiter to match winning in the tournament...what I said.

Woodson has done one thing and that's recruiting. Painter gets out of the system recruiting. We could have CE's winning big. IMO
Do I think his coaching is better? Well, right now I have no idea. But, I'm certainly concerned. And, all I'm saying is, right now, he's actually doing better. You can't be beaten by him 3 times straight and not take notice. And, he's preparing for a game Sunday. Don't you think "recruiting" is important? A part of the job? How do you gloss over that? The Dude just put us in the record books for eternity in the tourney. FDU will forever be a part of the video start of this tourney til the end of time. There will be video highlights of them ran every year forever. For ever.

Do I think his coaching is better? Well, right now I have no idea. But, I'm certainly concerned. And, all I'm saying is, right now, he's actually doing better. You can't be beaten by him 3 times straight and not take notice. And, he's preparing for a game Sunday. Don't you think "recruiting" is important? A part of the job? How do you gloss over that? The Dude just put us in the record books for eternity in the tourney. FDU will forever be a part of the video start of this tourney til the end of time. There will be video highlights of them ran every year forever. For ever.
I never have 'glossed' over that. I want him to adjust to recruiting those kids. We should have no problem recruiting those underrated athlete's here. I don't disagree with the recruiting aspect, but coaching is more than that.

Why didn't Woodson win the B1G? Why didn't he match preseason rankings/projections? Painter past him for most of the year. I could care less about beating IU... honestly. They have 1 win in the tournament in 7 years that is not successful. We can't predict the future but I can tell you the most recent past and it's not IU. If you say MSU....I'll agree

Last edited:
A step slower than top teams?? Dude…. We were 10 steps slower than a 16 seed that only made it in on a technicality. If this isn’t a wake up call for painter that his offense/recruiting is seriously flawed and limits us in march, then I don’t what else is.
He ain’t changing. Unless he’s fired, we have him another 7-10 years. (And will never make a FF). That’ll be 50 years for Purdue.

I never have 'glossed' over that. I want him to adjust to recruiting those kids. We should have no problem recruiting those underrated athlete's here. I don't disagree with the recruiting aspect, but coaching is more than that.

Why didn't Woodson win the B1G? Why didn't he match preseason rankings/projections? Painter past him for most of the year. I could careless about beating IU... honestly. They have 1 win in the tournament in 7 years that not successful. We can't predict the future but I can tell you the most recent past and it's not IU. If you say MSU....I'll agree
If that's the sole issue here (recruiting) then we agree in part, but not in whole. Woodson didn't win the B10G, but did finish at the top. If you could care less about beating IU, then what do you care about? Other than the obvious, run a clean program, that we all agree on? We literally ALL agree on that. Yes, IU has 1 win in 7 years, but Woodson isn't responsible for any of that before him. We can hang our hat on B10G titles, in a league where not all teams play the same schedule. So, it's a bit sketchy. But, when you continue to be upset by double digit seeds, at some point, the red flags must go up. If Woodson does flame out, and he may, they'll can him and keep looking until they find the man.

He ain’t changing. Unless he’s fired, we have him another 7-10 years. (And will never make a FF). That’ll be 50 years for Purdue.
Have said this for years now, that I’m not a fan of his offense, and every time I get bashed by the board hall monitors and called an iu fan. These type of losses are so predictable. I truly appreciate everything edey and our past dominant post players have done for us but I’m done with that offense. Doesn’t even give us a fighting chance for a final four. And year after year we sit at home and watch a Cinderella team full of quick athletic guards make it to the final four, sometimes destroying us on the way to it.

I get sick and tired of hearing "recruiting advantage" as an excuse... How does Eric Musslman recruit 3, 5 star players to an Arkansas team that has won 2 conference championships EVER?... It's not as much school as coach. Sure these coaches aren't so easy to find and you can look at IU to figure that out. However, there are certainly good coaches to be had who would also be able to recruit to Purdue. IMO if he wanted CMP could recruit higher rated more athletic players but he just chooses not to. I understand the idea of why but it isn't a strategy that is going to take Purdue any further than they currently are... When you recruit system players and that system overloads their abilities this is the result... It's why you see at the beginning of the season a lot of success. These system players are easily coachable in the beginning of the season and they come out ahead of the curve. But as the season moves forward their "ceiling" gets found pretty early. Other teams find the weak spots and go after them. This is when Purdue begins to struggle and then gets exposed in the tourney. There is also a major mentality issue as when things start to go bad they really start snowball. This is CMP through and through. The adjustments can't be made because players begin overthinking. This is also a result of the gap in talent. Highly talented teams can make those on the fly adjustments.

If that's the sole issue here (recruiting) then we agree in part, but not in whole. Woodson didn't win the B10G, but did finish at the top. If you could care less about beating IU, then what do you care about? Other than the obvious, run a clean program, that we all agree on? We literally ALL agree on that. Yes, IU has 1 win in 7 years, but Woodson isn't responsible for any of that before him. We can hang our hat on B10G titles, in a league where not all teams play the same schedule. So, it's a bit sketchy. But, when you continue to be upset by double digit seeds, at some point, the red flags must go up. If Woodson does flame out, and he may, they'll can him and keep looking until they find the man.
Recruit out of the system guys, athlete's that will make mistakes but have a higher ceiling to win.

I think Painter's overall coaching is limited by his recruiting within the system guys.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
Failure mentality regarding recruiting- anyone remember Painter stating years ago that if you know you won’t get the girl, you don’t even bother asking her out? Mediocre Matt at his finest.

Recruit out of the system guys, athlete's that will make mistakes but have a higher ceiling to win.

I think Painter's overall coaching is limited by his recruiting within the system guys.
Yes, his coaching is clearly limited. Last night was the most glaring example.

Reactions: Poprudy
I get sick and tired of hearing "recruiting advantage" as an excuse... How does Eric Musslman recruit 3, 5 star players to an Arkansas team that has won 2 conference championships EVER?... It's not as much school as coach. Sure these coaches aren't so easy to find and you can look at IU to figure that out. However, there are certainly good coaches to be had who would also be able to recruit to Purdue. IMO if he wanted CMP could recruit higher rated more athletic players but he just chooses not to. I understand the idea of why but it isn't a strategy that is going to take Purdue any further than they currently are... When you recruit system players and that system overloads their abilities this is the result... It's why you see at the beginning of the season a lot of success. These system players are easily coachable in the beginning of the season and they come out ahead of the curve. But as the season moves forward their "ceiling" gets found pretty early. Other teams find the weak spots and go after them. This is when Purdue begins to struggle and then gets exposed in the tourney. There is also a major mentality issue as when things start to go bad they really start snowball. This is CMP through and through. The adjustments can't be made because players begin overthinking. This is also a result of the gap in talent. Highly talented teams can make those on the fly adjustments.
Uh oh… now you did it. Now all the apologists and excuse makers will come out to tell you why Purdue is so hard to recruit to. The list is long and distinguished. Like my….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT