ADVERTISEMENT

OT: I was watching the ....

Nov 30, 2003
carnival barkers from "Field of 64". They were talking about the coach Calipari to Ark situation. One of them said, when talking about Calipari's "problem", is that he needs to "stop recruiting high school Freshmen". Let me repeat that. "Stop recruiting high school Freshmen". Let that sink in.
Another words, do the current thing (NIL) that blue bloods and semi-blue bloods do and poach elite talent from other teams to build 'super teams'. That is what programs like ours is up against now. Its almost as if we need to pray for a broken bracket for a chance at a NC. I feared that this was what the NIL was going to change the college game into.
The "Fab-Five" recruiting scenario is obsolete now. Poaching players instead of recruiting is what NIL has created.

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
He meant that you aren't going to win in March with a bunch of one and done type of players

Need the right mix of old talent with maybe perhaps a young one & done thrown in who is actually ready....ala UConn. Many teams in Sweet 16 had old NIL transfer talent, including us. Only one was champ. But the trend holds.

And yes, hope our frosh class isn't attacked by NIL poachers next year. Our program culture and coach are set up to keep them, but forces outside the program are so strong & sometimes tough to handle for young minds.

Reactions: DrEss
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT