ADVERTISEMENT

The reality for Purdue basketball for the next 7-10 years.

Why didn't Woodson win the B1G? Why didn't he match preseason rankings/projections? Painter past him for most of the year. I could care less about beating IU... honestly. They have 1 win in the tournament in 7 years that is not successful. We can't predict the future but I can tell you the most recent past and it's not IU. If you say MSU....I'll agree

I presume you can't be this ignorant but will enlighten you as your Woodson cherry picked narrative that you're spreading for this entire IU season is lacking such important context.

IU was the most injured team in the high major NCAA and it's not even close.

Woodson was a big part of overcoming this injury riddled season for IU, most would agree that takes some high level coaching accumen behind the scenes that you are dismissing.

Injuries -

TJD -. 6 weeks of playing at 65-70% due to his lower back injury

Xavier Johnson - Injured in game in early Dec, out the remainder of the season.

JHS - Out for the month of Dec.

Race - Injured in game Jan- "Out" a month to 6 weeks

Galloway - played with an injured wrist in Nov/Dec. Limited in the off-season due to an injury late last season and off season surgery.

Bench/role players. -. Geronimo leg in Feb., Leal hobbled in Dec with a leg, our bench big Duncomb, out seemingly the entire season with illness.

I won't go into the unbalanced BT schedule that occurred between our two programs, as I believe the final separation in final BT standings for Purdue makes it too subjective for debate and is only a footnote in the context of league standings for '23.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
I presume you can't be this ignorant but will enlighten you as your Woodson cherry picked narrative that you're spreading for this entire IU season is lacking such important context.

Woodson was a big part of overcoming this injury riddled season for IU, most would agree that takes some high level coaching accumen behind the scenes that you are dismissing.

Injuries -

Galloway - played with an injured wrist in Nov/Dec. Limited in the off-season due to an injury late last season and off season surgery.

Bench/role players. -. Geronimo leg in Feb., Leal hobbled in Dec with a leg, our bench big Duncomb, out seemingly the entire season with illness.

I won't go into the unbalanced BT schedule that occurred between our two programs, as I believe the final separation in final BT standings for Purdue makes it too subjective for debate and is only a footnote in the context of league standings for '23.
Link?

Injuries -

You're here because you have a little brother mentality. I don't dwell on an IU loss like you do a Purdue loss.

Ignorant is an IU fan coming here spewing they've done something. You didn't win anything this year and have 1 victory against a team you were favored. This is IU's best team in 10-11 years and you haven't won crap. How would you feel if TJD loses to Miami? One of IU's finest would have exactly 1 win in the tournament 😂😂😂

I want MSU's sustainability and greatness....not IU's.

Last edited:
Will be on his tombstone , "here lies one and done"....🤣

Reactions: Gesysp
By who? Purdue "settlers"? He's not known as better than Izzo. And, now, it looks like Woodson is a problem. You can't speak silliness into truth.
Izzo better for his career, but in last 5 years Matt is best. Woody can't coach, he has better team and older team than Matt this year but underachieved, plus he not gonna be around long.

After sleeping on it and still waking up pissed off, I think I’ve come to the realization that Painter won’t be fired or resign. We’re likely to have him as HC for the next 7 (25 yrs as HC) to 10 years.
He’ll continue to do what he’s done which is have middle of the pack recruiting because he’ll recruit system players and not talent, he’ll win 20 games and finish upper half B10, make the tourney and maybe get to a few S16s but unlikely to go deeper and almost guaranteed not to get a NC. He won’t change his defensive or offensive philosophies and his teams will always be athletically a step slower than top teams.
To some, they’d feel satisfied and consider that a successful run. They believe Purdue has inherent recruiting disadvantages and we’ll never be considered a top school for talent. These same people are afraid of what would happen if we changed coaches and believe Painter is the best Purdue will ever do.

To others, they appreciate what Painter has done to this point but believe Purdue can do better and a change in culture is needed.

To the administration, they probably feel that as long as there are asses in the seats and the program is sound financially, then winning in March isn’t really the goal, it’s just gravy.

Where do you stand?

I know where I am. Time for a change…..
Nah, even the staunchest Painter supporters on my FB feed are questioning his employment. Myself included.

Reactions: bonefish1
Izzo better for his career, but in last 5 years Matt is best. Woody can't coach, he has better team and older team than Matt this year but underachieved, plus he not gonna be around long.
Izzo is better. That's not even close. Woodson can beat Painter and has 3 times in a row. You and I have no idea how long he'll be around. I hope he's not around long, because that would mean he's not good. Unfortunately, right now, he "looks" better than Painter. 3 game win streak, ended the year at the top of the league and is going to play again Sunday in a tourney that we just laid the biggest egg of all time.

After sleeping on it and still waking up pissed off, I think I’ve come to the realization that Painter won’t be fired or resign. We’re likely to have him as HC for the next 7 (25 yrs as HC) to 10 years.
He’ll continue to do what he’s done which is have middle of the pack recruiting because he’ll recruit system players and not talent, he’ll win 20 games and finish upper half B10, make the tourney and maybe get to a few S16s but unlikely to go deeper and almost guaranteed not to get a NC. He won’t change his defensive or offensive philosophies and his teams will always be athletically a step slower than top teams.
To some, they’d feel satisfied and consider that a successful run. They believe Purdue has inherent recruiting disadvantages and we’ll never be considered a top school for talent. These same people are afraid of what would happen if we changed coaches and believe Painter is the best Purdue will ever do.

To others, they appreciate what Painter has done to this point but believe Purdue can do better and a change in culture is needed.

To the administration, they probably feel that as long as there are asses in the seats and the program is sound financially, then winning in March isn’t really the goal, it’s just gravy.

Where do you stand?

I assume you’ve talked to Bobinski and offered a 6 figure check to be used in the buyout?

He should resign and make room for the future, be a tv analyst....he always has a lot of analytical thoughts to share ....he could give great pointers on who could " choke in March Madness "....just saying 🤣
Honestly, last night should be the final straw. If that type of historic loss on the grand stage after being upset the last 2 years isn't enough, then we deserve this. Just think about this game being played at the start of every NCAA tourney to help hype it for eternity. This game will be the "Cinderella story" for the rest of time. It will never be lived down.

Failure mentality regarding recruiting- anyone remember Painter stating years ago that if you know you won’t get the girl, you don’t even bother asking her out? Mediocre Matt at his finest.
Dude. That was about knowing a recruitment was dirty. Like Clangford.

Honestly, last night should be the final straw. If that type of historic loss on the grand stage after being upset the last 2 years isn't enough, then we deserve this. Just think about this game being played at the start of every NCAA tourney to help hype it for eternity. This game will be the "Cinderella story" for the rest of time. It will never be lived down.
Ultimate David vs Goliath story...yep, we made history.

Reactions: boiler-deuce

Where do you stand?

Interesting comments, but I think NIL is taking it all over and we will not be able to compete with, for example, Miami - which bought out best chance to make it to the F4 in buying off N. Pack.

I am not sure I want us to compete in the new NIL landscape, as something seems fundamentally unethical about it. What do you think?

Says the guy who won’t write the check.
I know you want to try and use money as an excuse or the fact that Purdue isn’t close to a beach, but those are just that; apologists excuses.
But just for fun, let’s say I did call MBob and told him I’d cover the buy out if Painter were let go this week. What would he say?

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Interesting comments, but I think NIL is taking it all over and we will not be able to compete with, for example, Miami - which bought out best chance to make it to the F4 in buying off N. Pack.

I am not sure I want us to compete in the new NIL landscape, as something seems fundamentally unethical about it. What do you think?
I think you either adapt or you die. If that’s what Purdue has to do to get the top players, then do it.

I know you want to try and use money as an excuse or the fact that Purdue isn’t close to a beach, but those are just that; apologists excuses.
But just for fun, let’s say I did call MBob and told him I’d cover the buy out if Painter were let go this week. What would he say?
Do it and let’s find out. Send him an email and post his response.

Reactions: bonefish1
How so ? The big hitters could get him bought out. They are obviously choosing not to…
You should pick a lane. Either they need money to do it and you're using that as a point here with posters.....or they really don't and heavy hitters could but you think they won't. Have you talked to them? I'd be interested in all of their opinions as well. Please share.

I've written several checks to this University over many decades. But, that really isn't the point.....is it? It's a strawman.
Same. But clearly to some individuals on this board , complaining about the lack of performance from our coach makes us fake fans who are incapable of contributing a few grand a year to our alma mater. 😂

probably explains why purdue is still a mediocre program … even with all of the success and resources it was afforded.

Reactions: boiler-deuce
You think his coaching is better? He was predicted to win the B1G, didn't win the B1G tourney and was ranked lower than preseason. All things Painter passed him.

I'm trying to figure where he was better? Because he beat a team he was predicted to beat in the 1st round? Painter is a better coach, but not a better recruiter to match winning in the tournament...what I said.

Woodson has done one thing and that's recruiting. Painter gets out of the system recruiting. We could have CE's winning big. IMO
Playoff winning NBA coach.

Lost arguably the best true point guard in the B1G and still finished tied for second in conference. With one of the toughest schedules.

Took Archie’s crap roster and made the tournament last year.

Woodson has IU still playing this year.

Recruiting is going extremely well.

Purdue’s in-season accomplishments were notable, but let me ask this—if Purdue had lost Braden Smith and had their single plays against Minny, OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU like Indiana did, how would that have gone?

Woodson had an extraordinary season. I’m not sure what the flaws could be. He’s the best.

Last edited:

Lost arguably the best true point guard in the B1G and still finished tied for second in conference. With one of the toughest schedules.

Purdue’s in-season accomplishments were notable, but let me ask this—if Purdue had lost Braden Smith and had their single plays against Minny, OSU, Wisconsin, and PSU like Indiana did, how would that have gone?

Woodson had an extraordinary season. I’m not sure what the flaws could be. He’s the best.
FWIW, a smiley emoji is not a substantive response.

I’m going to be honest. Come March madness time, I’d rather have Woodson than Painter.

• Haha
Reactions: Poprudy
You should pick a lane. Either they need money to do it and you're using that as a point here with posters.....or they really don't and heavy hitters could but you think they won't. Have you talked to them? I'd be interested in all of their opinions as well. Please share.
My lane is called REALITY. I recommend some of you swerve into it…

Kidding us are not you?

Next year's class looks great? It looks like a Purdue class.

That's like saying IU could lost to Michigan twice, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota and Xavier.

X was/is not your best PG and has never been. Don't bull crap the audience here. X got this team crushed by St Mary's last year. You would also be taking the ball out of the NBA caliber PG in Schifino. That wouldn't be a smart idea. He needs the ball in his hands and adds more than a hot headed X.

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
solid logic there partner.

Fans : “our coach is terrible and we need change”

Pubills logic: “stop being a fan then”

Solid.
Painter isn't horrible. He's just stubborn. That has been well known for a while. Someone posted it earlier. He needs someone that's a catalyst to tell him what he's doing and get over himself.

Reactions: clankhan
Sorry, because of 1 favored win? I'm not an apologist here, but you can do better....Izzo...yes!
No , but the feeling that we will play down to our competition every time come March.

How many times have we lost to a lower seed?

I count at least 5 times in the last decade or so.

Isn’t 5 times enough? (Especially with no change in philosophy in sight)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT