ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest concern and potential fatal flaw

Nov 5, 2022
Is the backcourt play. You don’t overreact to one game especially on the road against a pretty good and insanely hot team. But in today’s game that is dominated by quick, athletic perimeter scorers and shooters who can create off the dribble and finish at the rim, is the Purdue backcourt good enough? As good as Edey is, he also has some limitations. Gonna need the 1-2-3 positions elevate their games if Purdue wants to make a deep run.

Is the backcourt play. You don’t overreact to one game especially on the road against a pretty good and insanely hot team. But in today’s game that is dominated by quick, athletic perimeter scorers and shooters who can create off the dribble and finish at the rim, is the Purdue backcourt good enough? As good as Edey is, he also has some limitations. Gonna need the 1-2-3 positions elevate their games if Purdue wants to make a deep run.
Purdue only had 1 steal to 9 for Nebraska. Lost the turnover number 13 to 8. Ouch!

You nailed it, guards have to be better. Good to see Cam get a lot of PT.

My biggest concern was that it wouldn't be exposed until March. It's a B1G road lose. This is nothing and expected. The Champion of this league is going to have road loses. Everyone calm down and YES, please make adjustments and prepare for this happening again Coach Painter.

I really like the lineup we started the second half with - Edey, Gillis, Heide, Jones and Smith - we needed stops to get back into the game and that lineup initially did their job. As much as everyone says Painter doesn’t adjust he certainly did to start the second half. Gillis was hot and TKR couldnt be effective with a clogged lane. We all know about Loyer’s D and I thought Heide did a decent job on the defensive end.

Biggest concern for me is Colvin not getting meaningful pt. Not saying that is all on Painter, but really thought Colvin would be further along at this juncture especially after a pretty hot start to the year. Not sure what's going on there.
Concerning to me too. We saw Colvin get minutes vs Tennessee, Gonzaga, Marquette, Bama, but come conference play, he’s on the bench.

Reactions: pboiler18
I really like the lineup we started the second half with - Edey, Gillis, Heide, Jones and Smith - we needed stops to get back into the game and that lineup initially did their job. As much as everyone says Painter doesn’t adjust he certainly did to start the second half. Gillis was hot and TKR couldnt be effective with a clogged lane. We all know about Loyer’s D and I thought Heide did a decent job on the defensive end.
I would have like Colvin to get some minutes as an athletic wing last night. If Nebraska keeps throwing up 3’s, put your athletic wings in for defense.

My biggest concern was that it wouldn't be exposed until March. It's a B1G road lose. This is nothing and expected. The Champion of this league is going to have road loses. Everyone calm down and YES, please make adjustments and prepare for this happening again Coach Painter.
What adjustments should he have made?

I would have like Colvin to get some minutes as an athletic wing last night. If Nebraska keeps throwing up 3’s, put your athletic wings in for defense.
He hasn’t shown he can play defense yet BUT that’s why you throw him in there. He should have at last got 3 min in second half, similar to his first half. Hopefully he plays a lot vs PSU. Heide playing 22 min was very encouraging.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
He's still lost on defense.
But I think we need to play him 2-3 mins more so he can get the experience/see on film what he can improve upon. Needs to also understand the speed and physicality of the game too and you get that by playing. Not advocating he play 15 min but 4-6 min a game would be good to see.

What adjustments should he have made?
Most coaches would zone or press as a last-gasp effort to change things up, but CMP does not allow for that kind of option. BTW, most kids in jr high and high school play/learn zone. Imagine playing golf w/only 2-3 golf clubs.

Most coaches would zone or press as a last-gasp effort to change things up, but CMP does not allow for that kind of option. BTW, most kids in jr high and high school play/learn zone. Imagine playing golf w/only 2-3 golf clubs.
So, you gonna zone a team shooting 60% from 3? I’ll give you the press and wish we’d maybe throw that in every now and then. But zone would not have saved us.

Biggest concern for me is Colvin not getting meaningful pt. Not saying that is all on Painter, but really thought Colvin would be further along at this juncture especially after a pretty hot start to the year. Not sure what's going on there.
He jacked up threes against bad teams and made some of them. Completely lost on defense all the time. Not sure what you want Painter to do with him.

Didn’t watch but followed the game flow and discourse. My thoughts are that this and other conference games are where Painter throws out original game plan for something completely different. You lose today, who cares. You lose in March and we hear the same story that you can’t win in March. Why not mix it up and try something different?

At the end of her day, Mason was the only one who came ready to play. The other team was still asleep for he first half.

Didn’t watch but followed the game flow and discourse. My thoughts are that this and other conference games are where Painter throws out original game plan for something completely different. You lose today, who cares. You lose in March and we hear the same story that you can’t win in March. Why not mix it up and try something different?

At the end of her day, Mason was the only one who came ready to play. The other team was still asleep for he first half.
I watched it live, but not later...yet. You have to bite your tongue, because quite frankly some of the thoughts are absurd. I try not to denigrate anyone's opinion...because this is a forum welcome to opinions. Still, the knee jerk opinions truly add nothing of value, but for many posting them they don't know, what they don't know. If you were to read the entire thread and others it would be obvious the variety of opinions as to the car wreck that happened. However, those opinions didn't just start with Purdue...that Osmosis no doubt carries over to other areas of opinionated takes on many subjects.

Still, it is a bit of a surprise because some said they don't care about the season and only care about March. The single biggest take other than getting in a hole in the Big is that these players very easily can be too tight when traveling to Bloomington...down in a hole in the Big right now(It is important to the players), losing 2 out of 3 road games, and having a road game at Bloomington where IU has confidence and Purdue knows the road games have not been friendly...with the environment they will see. The other side of the coin is that Purdue "should be" focused...

I watched it live, but not later...yet. You have to bite your tongue, because quite frankly some of the thoughts are absurd. I try not to denigrate anyone's opinion...because this is a forum welcome to opinions. Still, the knee jerk opinions truly add nothing of value, but for many posting them they don't know, what they don't know. If you were to read the entire thread and others it would be obvious the variety of opinions as to the car wreck that happened. However, those opinions didn't just start with Purdue...that Osmosis no doubt carries over to other areas of opinionated takes on many subjects.

Still, it is a bit of a surprise because some said they don't care about the season and only care about March. The single biggest take other than getting in a hole in the Big is that these players very easily can be too tight when traveling to Bloomington...down in a hole in the Big right now(It is important to the players), losing 2 out of 3 road games, and having a road game at Bloomington where IU has confidence and Purdue knows the road games have not been friendly...with the environment they will see. The other side of the coin is that Purdue "should be" focused...
Measured response - appreciate it. I hate that we came out flat and let them dictate everything from the opening tip. I was impressed we switched up at half and basically erased their lead by switching our lineup. Some things to take good or bad.

As for Bloomington, that was a collapse on the road against Rutgers. Fans were excited to have Xavier back but dude seems like cancer right now with his play and antics. With that said, we need to have high energy on Saturday against Penn State and do whatever is necessary in Bloomington to match and exceed their intensity because it will be there. Everyone has to play better.

Saw it somewhere that Purdue needs to play a style when we are up 20, act like we are up 3. When we are up 10, act like we are down 3. And when we are down 2, act like we are down 10. (Not exact quote so excuse me, I’m too lazy to go find it). Need that killer mentality on the road. I want to hear a mouse fart on the broadcast in Assembly Hall because we have shut them down. The only booing should be from IU fans directed at Woodson and their team because we left their team bloody and beaten.

Thanks for coming to my BEEFTalk

Going to be good to see if this team is mentally tough to come back from those types of games and see how they respond next game and the next road game as well. I like how we battled back and got it to within 1 in the second half. They just hit shots and we didn’t….and that’s how basketball goes sometimes. You can be perfect ALL the time, sports would be boring if so.

Let’s hope this team is different than last year and has a better mentality to overcome a tough game and keep improving. The good news is the 3pt shooting was right on par where we have been all year and did not dip.

Reactions: SKYDOG and tjreese
Measured response - appreciate it. I hate that we came out flat and let them dictate everything from the opening tip. I was impressed we switched up at half and basically erased their lead by switching our lineup. Some things to take good or bad.

As for Bloomington, that was a collapse on the road against Rutgers. Fans were excited to have Xavier back but dude seems like cancer right now with his play and antics. With that said, we need to have high energy on Saturday against Penn State and do whatever is necessary in Bloomington to match and exceed their intensity because it will be there. Everyone has to play better.

Saw it somewhere that Purdue needs to play a style when we are up 20, act like we are up 3. When we are up 10, act like we are down 3. And when we are down 2, act like we are down 10. (Not exact quote so excuse me, I’m too lazy to go find it). Need that killer mentality on the road. I want to hear a mouse fart on the broadcast in Assembly Hall because we have shut them down. The only booing should be from IU fans directed at Woodson and their team because we left their team bloody and beaten.

Thanks for coming to my BEEFTalk
I've said in the past that the mental has been regarded as 4:1. I don't know the correct ratio, but I know it is HIGHLY important. I know those that have coached or been close to coaches are fully aware that getting a group of humans with different things going on in their lives to have maximum effort AND focus every game is a fleeting condition. The same goes on in the opponent, but sometimes one side is sharp and another sloppy AND for different reasons sometimes. Early, both were sloppy. No doubt coaches want to play the game as they are behind, as far as effort...maybe not as desperate though and that is a balancing act. There was a point early in the season and in all the "bigger games" that most could have gone either way and so it is not like Purdue was just running over these teams. Purdue made the plays that made the difference.

Late in the game Purdue was scoring, but they couldn't stop Nebraska from scoring. Up until 4 minutes or so Purdue still had a shot and so the final spread like many games is blown up larger than the reality had a few things been different. I'm not going to blame the officials because Purdue was Purdue's worst enemy. However, to ignore any effect from the officials is short sighted as well. Problem is, like the government, the officials are immune to poor decisions for different reasons because officials are human with a lot to see and little times to see it.

That said, there were horrendous calls that had they been different a sloppy Purdue team might have still edged out the team. Just off the top of my head the F1 on Mason. It was a joke, but the flop worked. Instead of Braden having the ball their player went to the line where he missed both Fts, but Nebraska got the ball and I think scored and Purdue didn't since Mason got a F1. Some might recall "Whelchel (sp?) shooting a three ball where Cam was assessed a foul of the shooter that was not even close to touching him. Instead of Purdue ball, Whelchel goes to the line and hits all 3 Fts another potential 5-6 point spread. Then we have Braden knocking the ball off a Nebraska players leg under their basket that was awarded to Nebraska that then took the ball out and hit a 3 ball...another 5-6 point spread. What about the time Nebraska took the ball out of bounds under the basket where Mason's man scored 2 and was awarded a Ft which he made. Although that was Cam's fault for letting a pass go under the basket, Mason was pushed forward into the back screen that got the player open where Cam's errors resulted in 3 points.

In fairness, no doubt some calls went against Nebraska, but had a few things been different when Purdue was nipping at the boots of Nebraska, Purdue might have survived the scare of a team that was hot. As said previously a few things different in Purdue's big wins and Purdue could have lost those games as well.

What happened last night has nothing to do with preparation for March. Purdue has the players they do and with all the strengths they have, there are Achille Heels like ALL teams. Purdue is NOT going to play some styles, because Purdue doesn't have the same type of players. Should Purdue recruit those players instead...perhaps, but Purdue has done better than those schools by playing their way. Is there a way to beat Purdue...yeah, but does the other team have what it takes because they still have to contend with Purdue?

The biggest takeaway from the game is that Purdue is just like all the teams in the NCAA is capable of sloppy play and not stopping a hot team. I imagine all the fans were totally focused and put forth great effort when they were in school or going to a job...never being content that could lead to a slip.

The biggest concern is not this Saturday, but the next Peacock game in Bloomington. There you will find the most fired up fans and players that believe they can beat Purdue along with the Purdue players feeling a lot of pressure and a confidence hit on road games and so we again see the mental aspect of the game manifesting in the physical sights we see.

Last edited:
Going to be good to see if this team is mentally tough to come back from those types of games and see how they respond next game and the next road game as well. I like how we battled back and got it to within 1 in the second half. They just hit shots and we didn’t….and that’s how basketball goes sometimes. You can be perfect ALL the time, sports would be boring if so.

Let’s hope this team is different than last year and has a better mentality to overcome a tough game and keep improving. The good news is the 3pt shooting was right on par where we have been all year and did not dip.
Don't think Saturday will be a problem being sharp against a quick team...much more concerned about the next road game

Yes, Colvin gets lost on back door cuts and interior but we could of used his athleticism to cover the wing against 3 point shots

Some pretty questionable takes here.

I would've had had Nebraska not shoot 61% from 3 on largely contested threes. :)
Some were not contested well, but many were just great shots as you implied. The real question is does a coach think they cool off a bit an open up the floodgates for 2s a bit or stay the line? Both could be wrong at the time, but after the game when the results are in...they didn't cool off. Another trade off that flies by some fans until the game is over and decisions are formed...too late naturally, but accurate. In every game there are trade off...EVERY game! Do you hold the line and play the way your study prior to the game indicates the best way of playing or do you abandon ship? As said many times...both can be wrong in different times of different games...something few seem to be aware.

It is a concern. He had a great start this season for a frosh.

Hardly my biggest concern though. Perhaps for me, just maybe, the 30 pt half the team put up, might be a little higher? And maybe the TOs, or the D might be a bit higher? I could list several more, and maybe I would get to Colvin after the first page.

Colvin possibly could have added to the scoring.....sure would have to say, wouldn't have hurt whatever defensive effort Purdue put forth in some of the game. Others parts yes.

NE was sure fun to watch though last night. So at least there's that.

My last take of the day and I’ll chime back on Saturday or when we have some hot recruiting takes.

UCONN went on a 3 game skid that was a head scratcher last year in January. 2 on the road and 1 at home where they looked bad. Those loses sparked and motivated them and propelled them to the title. Not saying that is what is going to happen but I hope the lessons from a loss like last night help us when it inevitably happens on March.

My last take of the day and I’ll chime back on Saturday or when we have some hot recruiting takes.

UCONN went on a 3 game skid that was a head scratcher last year in January. 2 on the road and 1 at home where they looked bad. Those loses sparked and motivated them and propelled them to the title. Not saying that is what is going to happen but I hope the lessons from a loss like last night help us when it inevitably happens on March.
Can't you still come out and play? ;) enjoy your day...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Fatal flaw is the same as every year. Lack of athleticism and Painter. Same shit different year.

I've said in the past that the mental has been regarded as 4:1. I don't know the correct ratio, but I know it is HIGHLY important. I know those that have coached or been close to coaches are fully aware that getting a group of humans with different things going on in their lives to have maximum effort AND focus every game is a fleeting condition. The same goes on in the opponent, but sometimes one side is sharp and another sloppy AND for different reasons sometimes. Early, both were sloppy. No doubt coaches want to play the game as they are behind, as far as effort...maybe not as desperate though and that is a balancing act. There was a point early in the season and in all the "bigger games" that most could have gone either way and so it is not like Purdue was just running over these teams. Purdue made the plays that made the difference.

Late in the game Purdue was scoring, but they couldn't stop Nebraska from scoring. Up until 4 minutes or so Purdue still had a shot and so the final spread like many games is blown up larger than the reality had a few things been different. I'm not going to blame the officials because Purdue was Purdue's worst enemy. However, to ignore any effect from the officials is short sighted as well. Problem is, like the government, the officials are immune to poor decisions for different reasons because officials are human with a lot to see and little times to see it.

That said, there were horrendous calls that had they been different a sloppy Purdue team might have still edged out the team. Just off the top of my head the F1 on Mason. It was a joke, but the flop worked. Instead of Braden having the ball their player went to the line where he missed both Fts, but Nebraska got the ball and I think scored and Purdue didn't since Mason got a F1. Some might recall "Whelchel (sp?) shooting a three ball where Cam was assessed a foul of the shooter that was not even close to touching him. Instead of Purdue ball, Whelchel goes to the line and hits all 3 Fts another potential 5-6 point spread. Then we have Braden knocking the ball off a Nebraska players leg under their basket that was awarded to Nebraska that then took the ball out and hit a 3 ball...another 5-6 point spread. What about the time Nebraska took the ball out of bounds under the basket where Mason's man scored 2 and was awarded a Ft which he made. Although that was Cam's fault for letting a pass go under the basket, Mason was pushed forward into the back screen that got the player open where Cam's errors resulted in 3 points.

In fairness, no doubt some calls went against Nebraska, but had a few things been different when Purdue was nipping at the boots of Nebraska, Purdue might have survived the scare of a team that was hot. As said previously a few things different in Purdue's big wins and Purdue could have lost those games as well.

What happened last night has nothing to do with preparation for March. Purdue has the players they do and with all the strengths they have, there are Achille Heels like ALL teams. Purdue is NOT going to play some styles, because Purdue doesn't have the same type of players. Should Purdue recruit those players instead...perhaps, but Purdue has done better than those schools by playing their way. Is there a way to beat Purdue...yeah, but does the other team have what it takes because they still have to contend with Purdue?

The biggest takeaway from the game is that Purdue is just like all the teams in the NCAA is capable of sloppy play and not stopping a hot team. I imagine all the fans were totally focused and put forth great effort when they were in school or going to a job...never being content that could lead to a slip.

The biggest concern is not this Saturday, but the next Peacock game in Bloomington. There you will find the most fired up fans and players that believe they can beat Purdue along with the Purdue players feeling a lot of pressure and a confidence hit on road games and so we again see the mental aspect of the game manifesting in the physical sights we see.
Yes there were some bad calls after Purdue did an admiral job getting back in the game. Maybe they would have come back and won sans those calls. But, they never should have been in that position. They came out of the gate not ready to play, turnovers, poor execution and Zach playing like he did not expect double/ triple teams and lots of contact. It’s hard to beat any good team at home starting down double digits. Purdue handed that lead to Nebraska In the first half.

Reactions: tjreese

Look closer. Mason clearly gave the Neb player an intentional elbow shove. And Smith was on the out of bounds line. Both were the correct calls. Refs missed a call when Mast and Edey were fighting for position. Prob should have been a foul on Mast.

We lost this game due to some crap play by a few players that should have been riding the pine. Second half, Gillis played like crap. Should have been on the bench after two quick fouls and missed shots. Even though Jones made a couple shots early second half, he played like crap for most of second half. Heide got abused. Morton did absolutely nothing productive. Same for TKR. He is not a four. Furst although did get beat a couple times by Mast played decent.

Don't think Saturday will be a problem being sharp against a quick team...much more concerned about the next road game
the last 5 min of the Il game and the entire Neb game, we have not played well. If it carries over to the PSU game.........................

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yes there were some bad calls after Purdue did an admiral job getting back in the game. Maybe they would have come back and won sans those calls. But, they never should have been in that position. They came out of the gate not ready to play, turnovers, poor execution and Zach playing like he did not expect double/ triple teams and lots of contact. It’s hard to beat any good team at home starting down double digits. Purdue handed that lead to Nebraska In the first half.
I've stated several times that I didn't think they were mentally ready AND how that happens a lot for all teams and levels. I also wrote before the game and after the Illinois game that is was important for all players to be engaged and didn't think zach was for the whole game with Illinois and the game before, but the perimeter players were on and so that concern, that to me showed up in FT shooting and position by Zach, gathered little interest because the perimeter did so well. Never is a problem solved and so you have to keep on top of them...BEFORE they happen.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT