ADVERTISEMENT

There will be lots of theories and reasons. But it only this…

Shaka is looked at as just as disappointing as painter as, outside of his miraculous F4 run with VCU, he has severely underwhelmed in the tournament at Texas and Marquette and not made it out of the first weekend…painter has been to more S16s and same amount of E8s and Shaka has been to a F4 (which they beat us that year). He’s had some high ranking recruiting classes and not done much in postseason and a lot of Marquette fans are saying “here we go again”. I like him tho.

I also like Scheyer, but Duke has dropped games that Duke in the past do not. Duke fans are giving him some slack but are growing a little restless. Lots of UK fans want Cal gone as he hasn’t produced to their standards, as he hasn’t made it to the second weekend in the past 3 tournaments. I’d love to have Cal btw.

Just showing that losing happens, and we are trending better than other Purdue teams of the past with 4 of 6 s16 and an E8 that was a play away from the F4 (obscoisuku double digit seed losses in the tourney suck really bad). We have one of the best if not the best recruiting class coming in next year. I’m going to give painter 3 years (including this one) to get to a F4.
shaks, outside of that one Final Four, one more than 40+ years for Purdue. And he has elevated Marquette. Duke and Kentucky of course grow restless, two great blue blood programs who expect Final Fours and championships. Sheyer will get some slack, because of his short tenure, but not too long, not 18 years like Painter. Coach Cal has won a championship and reached four final fours at Kentucky. That gives him some time, but he may have worn out his welcome. Of course many teams that are not one or two seeds have reached the Final Four. Izzo has been there 8or 9 times in 25 ish years( I know the mantra on this board, he cheats).

The
I don't believe that most people are upset, but of the upset people there is a whole spectrum of opinions in what they would like Matt to do. Do you really think Matt is stubborn and is not open minded in reaching the highest goal he desires? Really? All the hours Matt dedicates in seeing games, visiting recruits, practicing and Matt is too stubborn to do what he needs that is obvious to those that believe he is stubborn? He lives 24-7 on basketball and to be too stubborn to do what he knows he needs to do? No, he just disagrees with those that have a different opinion and I doubt any coach is going to make "HUGE" changes to a very successful team. People that think Matt is stubborn have no idea how much work goes he does trying to reach his goals and to give that up due to being stubborn?????? This is not to you in particular, but to all that think "stubbornness" is why Matt doesn't hold the same opinion as those that think they are right...and Matt is only stubborn. It is illogical for that to be the consideration...just a difference of opinion exists.
The fact that he still realies so heavily on a big for our offense. Then refuses to change up or defense when we can't stop the other team at all. Do a full court press or half court or something different. It's the same thing every loss. If we changed up our defense and still lost then I think it's easier to swallow.

I'm not sure fans realize how hard it is to get to a FF if you're not a 1 or 2 seed and the reality is Purdue has only been a #1 seed once (last year) and a 2 seed once (2018) under Painter.

The percentage of teams that make the FF drops dramatically If you're not a #1, or #2 seed and if you're not a 3 or 4 seed you have a very small chance of reaching the FF.
We got gifted a final four run a couple years ago in our bracket. Yet we fell flat on our faces.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
I don't believe that most people are upset, but of the upset people there is a whole spectrum of opinions in what they would like Matt to do. Do you really think Matt is stubborn and is not open minded in reaching the highest goal he desires? Really? All the hours Matt dedicates in seeing games, visiting recruits, practicing and Matt is too stubborn to do what he needs that is obvious to those that believe he is stubborn? He lives 24-7 on basketball and to be too stubborn to do what he knows he needs to do? No, he just disagrees with those that have a different opinion and I doubt any coach is going to make "HUGE" changes to a very successful team. People that think Matt is stubborn have no idea how much work goes he does trying to reach his goals and to give that up due to being stubborn?????? This is not to you in particular, but to all that think "stubbornness" is why Matt doesn't hold the same opinion as those that think they are right...and Matt is only stubborn. It is illogical for that to be the consideration...just a difference of opinion exists.
I agree with you TJ that stubborn is the wrong word. CMP strongly believes what he believes and he does what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win.

After the FDU game he made the comment that he needed to make some changes and that he was the common denominator in the tournament losses to higher seeds. He specifically mentioned more athleticism and speed. What specifically do you see that he has changed so far this year? We certainly have pushed the ball on misses more than previous years with Edey. What else do you see as changes so far?

Reactions: tjreese
shaks, outside of that one Final Four, one more than 40+ years for Purdue. And he has elevated Marquette. Duke and Kentucky of course grow restless, two great blue blood programs who expect Final Fours and championships. Sheyer will get some slack, because of his short tenure, but not too long, not 18 years like Painter. Coach Cal has won a championship and reached four final fours at Kentucky. That gives him some time, but he may have worn out his welcome. Of course many teams that are not one or two seeds have reached the Final Four. Izzo has been there 8or 9 times in 25 ish years( I know the mantra on this board, he cheats).
I love Izzo and think he’s a great coach UK and Duke are blue bloods and get 5 stars left and right…so they always have a leg up on Purdue. Shaka still hasn’t done anything as a P5 (6?) coach. He took one mid major to the F4, a great feat but hasn’t been able to reproduce at schools with more money, better facilities and better recruits and higher expectations. I don’t think he has necessarily “lifted Marquette”, can you expand what you mean by that?

But lets be honest. Without Jones in the game their guards did almost anything they wanted against Heide and Loyer.

I do have a question for anyone who is in the know. Is Smith considered to be a good on the ball defender?

Just asking because the way Buie was abusing Loyer and Heide was just curious why Painter didn't let Smith take a run at him. I haven't seen that discussed much on this board.
IMO I think Braden does fine on the ball. I prefer Jones on the ball (1)in that he has a bit stronger base to get physical without it being noticed. 2) it allows Braden to not have to exert all the energy it requires and then to play offense the way he does.

When I saw Cam defend Boo right or wrong the first thing I thought of was that Matt/Johnson/Lusk wanted to put someone on Boo with more length and perhaps an ability to move with Boo...maybe with his floater in the lane thoughts? If Lance is not available and you don't want Braden due to physical drain, foul concerns or whatever...what other option is there to defend a 1 or 2 if Braden and Fletcher are off the table? I think you are down to Ethan or Cam and so in my mind the question is ...considering Braden is not desired due to the reason I stated...why Cam over Ethan? My guess there is Matt wanted a bit more offensive threat on the perimeter?

IMO I think Braden does fine on the ball. I prefer Jones on the ball (1)in that he has a bit stronger base to get physical without it being noticed. 2) it allows Braden to not have to exert all the energy it requires and then to play offense the way he does.

When I saw Cam defend Boo right or wrong the first thing I thought of was that Matt/Johnson/Lusk wanted to put someone on Boo with more length and perhaps an ability to move with Boo...maybe with his floater in the lane thoughts? If Lance is not available and you don't want Braden due to physical drain, foul concerns or whatever...what other option is there to defend a 1 or 2 if Braden and Fletcher are off the table? I think you are down to Ethan or Cam and so in my mind the question is ...considering Braden is not desired due to the reason I stated...why Cam over Ethan? My guess there is Matt wanted a bit more offensive threat on the perimeter?
Cam did a nice job considering he is a RS frosh and Buie is an 8th year super senior with serious skills.

I agree with you TJ that stubborn is the wrong word. CMP strongly believes what he believes and he does what he thinks gives the team the best chance to win.

After the FDU game he made the comment that he needed to make some changes and that he was the common denominator in the tournament losses to higher seeds. He specifically mentioned more athleticism and speed. What specifically do you see that he has changed so far this year? We certainly have pushed the ball on misses more than previous years with Edey. What else do you see as changes so far?
I think you said it at least on one of the biggest things. 1)Purdue is playing at a faster pace. 2)Braden is looking for his shot more. 3) I think Zach is quicker and Purdue is bringing Zach out higher more and he is moving more vertical than horizontal than previously. 4) Purdue does not seem to be doubling the post this year (which I think can be huge if Zach doesn't get in foul trouble). 5) Zach is trying to defend the rim more this year which is another endorsement that (A)-Matt believes Zach is smarter and won't get in foul trouble or (b) Matt thinks replacing Zach's offense is easier this year as well.

To a smaller degree I see the four spot more willing to put the ball on the floor and attack the basket...not to the degree that a smaller school 4 man would do or more of a dribble drive offense, but more than previously with Mason and Trey. In my mind putting Cam on Boo when Lance fouled out signaled to me that Cam is earning more minutes and making a move. Purdue is more athletic and quicker than last year and why we see a faster pace this year. Cam's continual growth will help on speed and athleticism and I'm encouraged with his progress. I wish a quicker light came on for Myles and so his growth looks to be slower...which I guess is to be expected, but I would love to see him continue to grow as well.

FYI-when I heard Matt state the common denominator part I heard Matt blame himself not for schematic thoughts, but rather recruiting errors in not getting enough speed and athletic ability. I think others may have thought Matt meant schematic changes. I heard an evolution rather than a revolution. In the few games Purdue has played, I think my interpretation of Matt's comments were what Matt intended with no schematic changes, but tweaks with the personnel.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Cam did a nice job considering he is a RS frosh and Buie is an 8th year super senior with serious skills.
I was not discouraged. He got his feet tangled up once on the baseline and started stumbling towards Boo in the corner, but I thought he was fine overall. He moved his feet and just tried to hold his position in the lane with his hand up using his length rather than getting off his feet. The bigger question I noted a minute ago was that Cam was chosen rather than Ethan. I thought that was huge and telling me that the staff is getting more comfortable with Cam.

Reactions: SKYDOG and Schnelk
I love Izzo and think he’s a great coach UK and Duke are blue bloods and get 5 stars left and right…so they always have a leg up on Purdue. Shaka still hasn’t done anything as a P5 (6?) coach. He took one mid major to the F4, a great feat but hasn’t been able to reproduce at schools with more money, better facilities and better recruits and higher expectations. I don’t think he has necessarily “lifted Marquette”, can you expand what you mean by that?
They were a nice little program but not part of the national conversation. Last year they made huge improvements and finished 14th in the country. This year they were highly ranked preseason , beat #1 and gave #2 Purdue a game before losing a rivalry game( like highly ranked Purdue did twice last year). Not bad for a couple of years.

Trying an unproven D1 defender, freshman in his first BIG game??. A guy who has done nothing defensively? He must be reading this board re: Morton. After a few whiffs why not try Morton, decent post passer and it was all going to Zack anyway.

The

The fact that he still realies so heavily on a big for our offense. Then refuses to change up or defense when we can't stop the other team at all. Do a full court press or half court or something different. It's the same thing every loss. If we changed up our defense and still lost then I think it's easier to swallow.
Again Matt has a fundamental belief in offense and defense. He doesn't share your view. There are things he doesn't share with me although he has moved my way on one so far, but I still have concerns with the D concerning screens. Those views dictate how he recruits...what type of players he gets. He still leans more to skill than athletic ability and so you are not going to see him start playing athletic styles like pressing and such unless it is the last choice. The composition of the team and the style he plays has been highly successful, but he does need to players to execute better in March. Purdue like all teams have deficient areas. Purdue just needs to execute better than the opposition and carry over that successful execution into March.

I've written a lot about zones in the past. I've went to great detail on zones and not of the mindset to type all I did in the past. Although substantially less effective in college than high school I have witnessed the few that play a pure zone for reasons outside of actual schematics have an effect, and so I think that 1)there is a different look that may have a psychological aspect to it 2) it does require "ORGANIZATION" to attack a zone. Now, I'm talking pure zone and not match-up zone that most teams play when the word zone is used. Outside of 1&2 the pure zone "may" provide the ability to defend a 5 behind the arc while keeping your 5 closer to the basket easier than a match-up zone or man switching. Now, I don't mind a match-up zone at all, but Purdue basically does that with all their switching and like the offensive team getting the match-up they want in a match-up zone they can do the same thing in a pure zone or man that switches. FWIW, I wish Purdue fought through screens more to not have to switch...but I understand why Purdue doesn't generally do that.

Trying an unproven D1 defender, freshman in his first BIG game??. A guy who has done nothing defensively? He must be reading this board re: Morton. After a few whiffs why not try Morton, decent post passer and it was all going to Zack anyway.
I gave my thoughts on what I thought maybe Purdue was thinking. Defensive comparison are made every day in practice between players. I was a bit surprised, but I don't see practice. There are two coaches fully assigned to defense and so apparently they thought the combination of D and O with Cam was the best choice. Right or wrong it tells me that Cam is making a move to more playing time.

Reactions: Schnelk
ppl have been screaming for Heide to get more PT and he did. He needs this experience. You have to live with the bad when guys are getting experience in hopes it makes him better in the future. Heide did just as good as Morton would have. And it’s just one game in the B1G and gotta hope the team, being experienced, learn from it and don’t let it happen again.

Again Matt has a fundamental belief in offense and defense. He doesn't share your view. There are things he doesn't share with me although he has moved my way on one so far, but I still have concerns with the D concerning screens. Those views dictate how he recruits...what type of players he gets. He still leans more to skill than athletic ability and so you are not going to see him start playing athletic styles like pressing and such unless it is the last choice. The composition of the team and the style he plays has been highly successful, but he does need to players to execute better in March. Purdue like all teams have deficient areas. Purdue just needs to execute better than the opposition and carry over that successful execution into March.

I've written a lot about zones in the past. I've went to great detail on zones and not of the mindset to type all I did in the past. Although substantially less effective in college than high school I have witnessed the few that play a pure zone for reasons outside of actual schematics have an effect, and so I think that 1)there is a different look that may have a psychological aspect to it 2) it does require "ORGANIZATION" to attack a zone. Now, I'm talking pure zone and not match-up zone that most teams play when the word zone is used. Outside of 1&2 the pure zone "may" provide the ability to defend a 5 behind the arc while keeping your 5 closer to the basket easier than a match-up zone or man switching. Now, I don't mind a match-up zone at all, but Purdue basically does that with all their switching and like the offensive team getting the match-up they want in a match-up zone they can do the same thing in a pure zone or man that switches. FWIW, I wish Purdue fought through screens more to not have to switch...but I understand why Purdue doesn't generally do that.
I don't have a problem with switching the screens as long as that switching doesn't create a match-up problem. When you switch and Boo goes from being guarded by Jones, to being guarded by Loyer, that is a problem. Robbie was calling it out before NW was even getting to half-court. We had a lot of other problems on D but that one was a head-scratcher.

I think it was more of a combo of a true road game and NW played a hell of a game…50% from 3 with one guy hitting his first all year, another who was 3/18 hit 4/5 and had 3 TOs vs a top 10 defense. And boo buie was great all night. I do agree we will have to see how this team is come March. Usually, we don’t have a loss like this early in the season so let’s see how they respond.
We wasn’t going undefeated this year one game didn’t make a season take better care of the ball make better passes to Edey hit more wide open shots we will be okay

They were a nice little program but not part of the national conversation. Last year they made huge improvements and finished 14th in the country. This year they were highly ranked preseason , beat #1 and gave #2 Purdue a game before losing a rivalry game( like highly ranked Purdue did twice last year). Not bad for a couple of years.
They made a F4 and an E8. Their top 4 guys weren’t recruited by him. Still like him as a coach but not so sure he’s that great yet

Reactions: Schnelk
I don't have a problem with switching the screens as long as that switching doesn't create a match-up problem. When you switch and Boo goes from being guarded by Jones, to being guarded by Loyer, that is a problem. Robbie was calling it out before NW was even getting to half-court. We had a lot of other problems on D but that one was a head-scratcher.
So when a team switches and the primary reason is to keep the offensive player from turning the corner (just typing for any, not your understanding) and the opposition knows it, they (offensive team) just seek to create the switch they want. North Texas did this as well. A few years ago Purdue was playing Michigan and Matt got a read on what Michigan was doing and so Matt put the player he didn't want on the ball so that when the switch came Purdue had the player it wanted on the ball. I can't recall the specific game but Belein was coach and Muhammad-Ali Abdur-Rahkman was playing.

I gave my thoughts on what I thought maybe Purdue was thinking. Defensive comparison are made every day in practice between players. I was a bit surprised, but I don't see practice. There are two coaches fully assigned to defense and so apparently they thought the combination of D and O with Cam was the best choice. Right or wrong it tells me that Cam is making a move to more playing time.
I get it I don’t see practice And the offense issue. But practice is not an away game in the BIG. After a few whiffs he should have seen enough. Watch Morton at the end of the Tennessee game, and blocks at other key times.

I get it I don’t see practice And the offense issue. But practice is not an away game in the BIG. After a few whiffs he should have seen enough. Watch Morton at the end of the Tennessee game, and blocks at other key times.
I understand your thoughts and where you are coming. I understand your reasoning. I just said there are two defensive coaches and considering what they and the coaching staffs must have thought was that Cam's package was better suited than Ethan's package and that was a surprise to me as I said mostly due to Ethan's experience. All that also indicated to me that Cam is making a move towards more minutes

I understand your thoughts and where you are coming. I understand your reasoning. I just said there are two defensive coaches and considering what they and the coaching staffs must have thought was that Cam's package was better suited than Ethan's package and that was a surprise to me as I said mostly due to Ethan's experience. All that also indicated to me that Cam is making a move towards more minutes
That’s fine, let’s see what the kids got. Give him lots more minutes than Morton. But at some point you gotta try and do what’s best in that situation in that game. A veteran proven defender at game end after a few late game whiffs. But Yes, Heide is the future. Good discussion sir.

That’s fine, let’s see what the kids got. Give him lots more minutes than Morton. But at some point you gotta try and do what’s best in that situation in that game. A veteran proven defender at game end after a few late game whiffs. But Yes, Heide is the future. Good discussion sir.
AS I said...it caught me by surprise. I thought Cam did fine, but it is reasonable to believe that Ethan would have done better and was more experienced.

Cam did fine, Boo is a 24 yr old guard
I get all that and not only a mature body, plenty of experience, and very crafty as well, but highly effective. It was a very tough cover. Cam got burned when he went under, but knowing the situation it may not have been a bad decision for Cam even though it cost 3 points and seconds later and I can't recall why the late recover, but Berry knocks down a 3 as well. 6 points quickly, but more credit to the O than poor D. I just posted minutes ago in the Purdue after loss some thoughts I had on that as well as the 2 turnovers late in OT

That’s not hat Shaka inherited. The final four elite 8 was ten years ago,
The last Marquette Final Four was 20 years ago. They had this guy named Dwyane Wade. He was pretty good…wonder whatever happened to him? Hell, why not mention they won the whole thing in 1977?

But all the experts on here are down on Morton and are demanding Heide and Colvin play more!

But all the experts on here are down on Morton and are demanding Heide and Colvin play more!
In hindsight, I wish we could have trapped Buie off the ball screen/at least make him give it up to make others beat us because Collins just gave it to Buie in OT to play PnR to get ISO on Loyer.

Yes, we could have tried Morton and maybe we should have. But there’s a trade off on offense. Since Morton is absolutely not a threat on offense (shot the ball 6 times and had missed a 3 already), his man could have easily sagged down to double Zach in the post for those possessions Morton was in. Which probably would have made it more difficult for Zach to score. There weren’t many dead ball situations and we didn’t have timeouts to try and do offense for defense.

But I can’t say you’re completely wrong, maybe we should have used Morton or at least tried, even though he has struggled to defend quicker, more athletic guards like Buie.

WTH are you talking about? There’s plenty of fans looking forward to the eventual coaching change.
Seems obvious that those “plenty of fans” who are looking forward to a new coach are probably the last standard deviation of the bell IQ curve. I mean somebody has to be below average, right? I suppose there are below average basketball fans just like the general population. I would hope that Purdue graduates would represent the upper parts of the bell curve, but if theyare looking forward to losing one of the best coaches in the game, I have my doubts. Perhaps you are generalizing about “plenty of fans” based solely on your own perspective?

The last Marquette Final Four was 20 years ago. They had this guy named Dwyane Wade. He was pretty good…wonder whatever happened to him? Hell, why not mention they won the whole thing in 1977?
put me down for thinking Shaka is a really good coach, but my favorite is Greg McDermott at Creighton, always has a great team that's balanced w/ different types of players that's fun to watch

Seems obvious that those “plenty of fans” who are looking forward to a new coach are probably the last standard deviation of the bell IQ curve. I mean somebody has to be below average, right? I suppose there are below average basketball fans just like the general population. I would hope that Purdue graduates would represent the upper parts of the bell curve, but if theyare looking forward to losing one of the best coaches in the game, I have my doubts. Perhaps you are generalizing about “plenty of fans” based solely on your own perspective?
Oh no, don’t you know he talks to every single fan? 😂

Reactions: mathboy
Or our fans acceptable with a losing persona? And stay with a proven loser….Rinse and repeat
Losing persona?

Boy I’d like to live a day in your shoes if Painter has “ a losing persona and is a proven loser”.

What do you shit gold, piss diamonds, and levitate above the rest of the world?

Do yourself a favor kid. Humble yourself, somehow, someway.

I’d start with having your parents tell you no. It’s a word that’s society doesn’t hear very often, so when they don’t get what they want, they throw temper tantrums. It’ll be a bad feeling for you, but it’s the ONLY way to go from a kid to a man. Age doesn’t make men. Just makes old kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT