ADVERTISEMENT

The biggest concern and potential fatal flaw

Look closer. Mason clearly gave the Neb player an intentional elbow shove. And Smith was on the out of bounds line. Both were the correct calls. Refs missed a call when Mast and Edey were fighting for position. Prob should have been a foul on Mast.

We lost this game due to some crap play by a few players that should have been riding the pine. Second half, Gillis played like crap. Should have been on the bench after two quick fouls and missed shots. Even though Jones made a couple shots early second half, he played like crap for most of second half. Heide got abused. Morton did absolutely nothing productive. Same for TKR. He is not a four. Furst although did get beat a couple times by Mast played decent.
So who should have been playing if all those players should have been benched and played like crap?? 😂 😂

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Look closer. Mason clearly gave the Neb player an intentional elbow shove. And Smith was on the out of bounds line. Both were the correct calls. Refs missed a call when Mast and Edey were fighting for position. Prob should have been a foul on Mast.

We lost this game due to some crap play by a few players that should have been riding the pine. Second half, Gillis played like crap. Should have been on the bench after two quick fouls and missed shots. Even though Jones made a couple shots early second half, he played like crap for most of second half. Heide got abused. Morton did absolutely nothing productive. Same for TKR. He is not a four. Furst although did get beat a couple times by Mast played decent.
That push with a bent arm was NOT going to send a player that size out of bounds...that goes on all game and in every game. You want to call a foul...okay, then walk up to the player and tell him the next is a flop. Braden may have been out of bounds when the F1 took place...I don't know. I haven't seen the game again, but that was a weak call for two players going to the board with momentum and so NO I don't agree that was a correct call as I didn't agree that Lance never displaced the Ill player when he continued to block out.

So , tell me who should have played since you said,

"We lost this game due to some crap play by a few players that should have been riding the pine. "

You just mentioned Gillis, Heide, Jones, Morton and Trey that should have been on the bench and so outside of those players...who should have played AND WHY other than Caleb that you thought was okay? Personally, it sounds like a team issue rather than a specific player issue. Then you followed up that TKR was not a four as some implication THAT was an issue and yet Purdue has been very good with him getting minutes at the 4. Who should have played and why with the assumption those that should have played didn't?

Reactions: BoilerDaddy
Game changes a bit if they don’t hit that many 3s…the flow…the momentum…more rebounds occur…they don’t shoot FTs down the stretch since we wouldn’t have to foul…so tough to say they’d still win by 1
possibly the same with some critical calls

BENCH EVERYONE !!!

the last 5 min of the Il game and the entire Neb game, we have not played well. If it carries over to the PSU game.........................
I think Sat will be fine. Purdue is home and I assume the 74 team will be there introduced at half and maybe a few words before. I'm sure PSU (previously a VCU team somewhat) is not only concerned about playing at Purdue, but the timing of such. I'm sure they believe they are not going to sneak up on Purdue. The Ill game was about some bad plays and Ill playing 5 behind the arc and driving the ball as a counter to the 3 ball threat. If Purdue hits FTs and doesn't get careless they probably win by double digits.

This game was a bit different in that Nebraska was pretty hot the whole game. Both teams were sloppy early, but Nebraska got less sloppy the second half. Nebraska hit some contested shots that were just great shooting to go along with some more open shots. Purdue has played a lot of teams with 5 out and it is and will always be a counter to Zach and skill players that are not great athletes. We also know that Zach has rougher games with quick players slapping and holding and releasing quickly. Illinois and other Bigs that may be a threat behind the arc...rarely have the quickness and skill to drive the ball to the rim before Zach and or help can stop them...but it will ALWAYS be a concern.

What was a bit different with Nebraska, but similar to FDU was not 5 behind the arc as most teams play, but rather running more of a high post offense from between the FT line and the ARC roughly between 16 and 22 feet out. Now, a somewhat mobile center does have only a step or two to beat a slower player for a layup and the ability for short quick passes off cutters going the the basket. Nebraska scored a couple of times off it, but there were many more that never cost Purdue like they could have. Nebraska pulled people up on the wings and nobody was available to stop the cutters due to Nebraska stroking it. Tommy whatever came across tight a few times and then came inside out for a look. Zach's arms are not quick and defending quick short passes is not a strength of Zach's. Zach has improved his foot quickness, but his arms are not quick. All that said and they are not stroking it as well and the game is a different game where the results could be quite different

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Why do people keep bringing this up? They could have shot below 39% from three and still beat us by one.
Could and doing it are two different things. Could they...sure. Would they...quite possibly not, due to the whole game affected by their hot shooting as far as Purdue's defense and in turn PUrdue's offense since they are related as well as Nebraska's offense. Approaches change as the game unfolds in spite of many thinking it doesn't

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Why do people keep bringing this up? They could have shot below 39% from three and still beat us by one.
Except that's not how basketball works. If they were at 39%, what would the score have been at the 13:51 mark (when it was a 1 point game) or at the 4:28 minute mark (when it was an 7 point game). And if the score had been reversed at those points, would the outcome have trended the same? Unlikely.

Except that's not how basketball works. If they were at 39%, what would the score have been at the 13:51 mark (when it was a 1 point game) or at the 4:28 minute mark (when it was an 7 point game). And if the score had been reversed at those points, would the outcome have trended the same? Unlikely.
Or at halftime would we be down by 11 or more so not down at all or only down 2? It changes the whole game. But credit to them for being red hot from 3…I hope we can be that way in the tourney when there comes a time that we may really need that sort of …I don’t want to say luck but more so success, I guess is a better word.

If you are basing everything on defense then Loyer should sit right next to Colvin. Nebraska shots lights out , but so did Northwestern and now we have reason for alarm. That being said we are still pretty good just need to clean things up

So who should have been playing if all those players should have been benched and played like crap?? 😂 😂
Furst and Colvin should have played another 10 minutes each. At least 10. Painter will bench both of them in a heart beat if they do something slightly wrong. And Painter did not have this team ready to play. He needs to be held accountable.

We need athletes on the peremiter. Colvin is an athlete with size and length. I get that he's a very unpolished prospect at this point, but keeping him on the bench isn't going to help in changing that. We need Colvin providing valuable minutes in the Tourney far more than we need Ethan Morton playing against Nebraska.

Loyer's minutes should correlate with how well he's scoring that game. Heide or Colvin should be getting any minutes that go to Morton. Teams with athletes on the peremiter are typically who advance in the Tourney nowadays. Team who throw guys like Morton or Loyer (when he can't create or hit a shot) on the court are who go home early.

Furst and Colvin should have played another 10 minutes each. At least 10. Painter will bench both of them in a heart beat if they do something slightly wrong. And Painter did not have this team ready to play. He needs to be held accountable.
So Furst and Colvin play. Who are the other 3 that round out the 5?

1-5 minus UConn have lost so far on the road in conference. Who would have thought it was hard to win on the road? UConn is in a fight with X at X. None ran into a team that shot 60% and no away team shot 40% from 3. I think it’ll be ok!

Reactions: tjreese
1-5 minus UConn have lost so far on the road in conference. Who would have thought it was hard to win on the road? UConn is in a fight with X at X. None ran into a team that shot 60% and no away team shot 40% from 3. I think it’ll be ok!
I will feel better if Purdue wins the next two, because they are in a bit of a hole right now. I expect an intense game at IU and Saturday will be a different test as well

I will feel better if Purdue wins the next two, because they are in a bit of a hole right now. I expect an intense game at IU and Saturday will be a different test as well
Penn state turned northwestern over 18 times by pressing (NW avgs 9 TOs) and NW barely survived. Baldwin for PSU had 8 (!!) steals. Gonna be a test for the team to deal with pressure and hopefully we can get up with a decent lead so Braden doesn’t get too worn out.

Penn state turned northwestern over 18 times by pressing (NW avgs 9 TOs) and NW barely survived. Baldwin for PSU had 8 (!!) steals. Gonna be a test for the team to deal with pressure and hopefully we can get up with a decent lead so Braden doesn’t get too worn out.
I only caught the last 20 seconds or so. The little I’ve seen they are quick and inside that 20 seconds they showed diamond and one. Not sure how Baldwin got that many steals…zone press, man press, half court man??? If in full court just let Lance or Braden whoever he is NOT guarding bring it up and then run a little screen to put the ball in Braden’s hands to run the offense. If in zone press… what is his spot in the press. Not seeing the game I’m guessing it was digging down on northwestern bigs or just doubling some players when they turn their back

Someone explain to me why there is this stubborn man-crush obsession with Colvin being the difference between a 1st round exit and a National Championship. What have you seen from him that makes you think he is Purdue's savior this year? Do people think he was a 5-star one-and-done player when he arrived on campus? For crying out loud, he's a freshman going through freshman growing pains. Give him some room.

Last edited:
I agree. I really just want to see them back playing really high-level basketball if they do that I think the results will follow.

They are going to have to defend better as a team to get back on track - as offensively they are really pretty darn good with the only problems seems to be TOs getting occasionally too high, and occasionally missing too many FTs.

I think Painter sees this too, and is why Colvin is getting little play....why Loyer is getting a shorter leash if he is not clicking offensively. And sadly, why Morton's minutes are still there even though he is beyond woeful offensively.

I haven't seen anyone mention that Purdue only scored 72 points on Tuesday which was the third lowest total of the year. The lowest total of the year was just a few games ago against Maryland.

Sure the B1G is a grind it out league but that wasn't the game Nebreska was playing.....

As much as we want to blame the entire loss on Nebraska's great shooting (which it was) as others have pointed out the game would have been a dog fight even if Nebraska shot a "normal" percentage. I agree the reason Purdue lost by 16 points was the three-point shooting but there were other issues that showed up in this game as well.

One interesting tidbit that others have pointed out Purdue is only averaging 2.2 steals per game in their 5 B1G games. Their opponents are averaging 6.6. I'm not smart enough to know why that is but I do find it interesting.

They are going to have to defend better as a team to get back on track - as offensively they are really pretty darn good with the only problems seems to be TOs getting occasionally too high, and occasionally missing too many FTs.

I think Painter sees this too, and is why Colvin is getting little play....why Loyer is getting a shorter leash if he is not clicking offensively. And sadly, why Morton's minutes are still there even though he is beyond woeful offensively.
Agree. I like how Morton played 10 and Heide played 22 this last game. IMO, we will need Heide in that range of mins because we need him to be able to guard the tall, athletic wings other teams have and we will also need him as a threat on offense. Hope painter continues to give him those mins the rest of the way.

Someone explain to me why there is this stubborn man-crush obsession with Colvin being the difference between a 1st round exit and a National Championship. What have you seen from him that makes you think he is Purdue's savior this year? Do people think he was a 5-star one-and-done player when he arrived on campus? For crying out loud, he's a freshman going through freshman growing pains. Give him some room.
This is interesting and I think it comes down to athleticism/size that Myles brings. As many have mentioned, he is behind on defense which is expected as a freshman coming in to a deep team. Another part that he brings is shooting especially from the elbow and fearless from deep. At the end of the day we need dudes coming off the bench to provide a spark on both sides of the ball. Right now that is Cam.

This is interesting and I think it comes down to athleticism/size that Myles brings. As many have mentioned, he is behind on defense which is expected as a freshman coming in to a deep team. Another part that he brings is shooting especially from the elbow and fearless from deep. At the end of the day we need dudes coming off the bench to provide a spark on both sides of the ball. Right now that is Cam.
To me Colvin seems like he can really jump, but other than a dunk or two I haven't seen him utilize his athleticism. He's not a particularly good rebounder, he doesn't block shots, haven't seen many steals, and he doesn't take it the basket very often.

His game today is just a spot up three-point shooter. You don't need to be athletic to play the role Colvin is playing. So playing a freshmen Colvin would only "help" if he's shooting well and at this point you'd actually be sacrificing ball movement and defense.

Agree. I like how Morton played 10 and Heide played 22 this last game. IMO, we will need Heide in that range of mins because we need him to be able to guard the tall, athletic wings other teams have and we will also need him as a threat on offense. Hope painter continues to give him those mins the rest of the way.

I don't like it, LOL.......but between the teams defensive concerns and help in ball handling, I think any basketball fan can see WHY M is in there. Like you said at least it's only 10 minutes

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
I think they believe that the key is athleticism to doing well. The teams they see do well in the tourney are athletic. The teams that get beat and they don't see are athletic as well. There are a LOT of athletic players playing basketball and not all win. Still, many believe THAT is the key as though a single thing is crucial. I would like to see Myles get it going as well. I think all of us do. Myles dictates that IMO.

Quite simply and I've mentioned this MANY times...there are two visions competing. Both have merit and both have flaws. One vision is that you make the best team as a result of your vision of what is needed. You select the players you believe will do that and get them playing time. All this is the belief in the coach's ability to understand all the variables in play and make the right choices in who should play even if a given player may not be ready. Let's call this an "unconstrained" view.

The other vision we shall call the "constrained" vision. The coach still knows what he wants. The coach may see potential in a player athletically...or skillfully, but he also knows there are variables at play that may or may not show up in how productive a player is. That coach prefers an evolutionary approach, fully cognizant that the coach can't predict how productive a person will be in many cases and prefers the players determine who plays based upon production...much in practice.

So you have two competing, but very different visions in how a team becomes the best team possible and both have merit and flaws. What is also interesting to me is that Thomas Sowell wrote about a conflict of visions relative to politics decades ago that was a great book that explains some of our approaches in the political divide. All of us will have a lean to either unconstrained or constrained, but will also not have the same lean in all areas of life. This has went on for centuries and quite fascinating actually.

A Conflict of Visions

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Nebraska's whole offense set is predicating on backdoor cuts.
I'm not sure that it isn't the 3 ball primarily, but the backdoor cuts are the complimentary to the 3 ball and a very important part of their offense. I wish I could recall St Peters a bit, but do recall FDU having a high post offense like Nebraska as well...rather than just 5 out or 4 out we see so much. That backdoor cut cost Purdue a couple of baskets and could have cost more, but Nebraska missed some openings

I don't like it, LOL.......but between the teams defensive concerns and help in ball handling, I think any basketball fan can see WHY M is in there. Like you said at least it's only 10 minutes
I actually I would like to see Painter rely on 4 guys in the backcourt. Painter could easily find a way to rotate in 4 guys for the 120 minutes. Smith, Loyer and Jones could handle 30-35 minutes and Heide could take the remaining 20-25. If there's foul trouble or guys are gassed bring in Morton or Colvin for a few minutes.

Teams play 7 or 8 guys all the time. Championship Teams! In 2022 both Kansas and North Carolina played 6 guys more than 7 minutes. North Carolina only had 7 guys see the court. In 2021 Gonzaga played seven guys in the Championship game. The year Purdue went to the elite 8 in our loss to Virginia Painter played 8 guys Virginia played 6.

Depth is only beneficial if there isn't much difference between your 1st and 6th guy in the backcourt or you have injuries or foul trouble. At this point in the season I think we can say there is huge drop-off between what our starters and bench give us at the 1, 2 and 3. The goal is to get you best player on the court as many minutes as they can handle. Of late it seems as if Painter is subbing to keep guys happy and not focused on maximizing our potential.

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Most coaches would zone or press as a last-gasp effort to change things up, but CMP does not allow for that kind of option. BTW, most kids in jr high and high school play/learn zone. Imagine playing golf w/only 2-3 golf clubs.
Big 10 scholarship athletes are NOT most kids in high school.
I"d imagine that most nationally rated golfers could beat you (and me) with only 2-3 clubs.
In other words, if you are at that level, details that matter to "most kids" don't mean squat. ;)

I haven't seen anyone mention that Purdue only scored 72 points on Tuesday which was the third lowest total of the year. The lowest total of the year was just a few games ago against Maryland.

Sure the B1G is a grind it out league but that wasn't the game Nebreska was playing.....

As much as we want to blame the entire loss on Nebraska's great shooting (which it was) as others have pointed out the game would have been a dog fight even if Nebraska shot a "normal" percentage. I agree the reason Purdue lost by 16 points was the three-point shooting but there were other issues that showed up in this game as well.

One interesting tidbit that others have pointed out Purdue is only averaging 2.2 steals per game in their 5 B1G games. Their opponents are averaging 6.6. I'm not smart enough to know why that is but I do find it interesting.
14 turnovers have been discussed.

I think they believe that the key is athleticism to doing well. The teams they see do well in the tourney are athletic. The teams that get beat and they don't see are athletic as well. There are a LOT of athletic players playing basketball and not all win. Still, many believe THAT is the key as though a single thing is crucial. I would like to see Myles get it going as well. I think all of us do. Myles dictates that IMO.
We can't even get past the Sweet 16 lately because we're getting abused around the peremiter. There's no denying it. We've all seen it. It's actually been a consistend trend outside of the year a very athletic Carson Edwards nearly carried us to the Final Four.

I like Smith. He's confidantly arrogant and can move. Morton should never see the floor again. He looked like a dear in the headlights against a quick Arizona team and he's not an offensive value add against any mediocre team. Loyer, as we all know can go on a heater (Arizona) or do nothing. When he's doing nothing he provides no value on the court. The minutes for Heide and Colvin should increase.

I get the negatives around Colvin. And he even had a "WTH are you doing game?" early in the season (Tennessee?). IMO, he's not getting any better by sitting on the bench. Give him more minutes. Work with him. His upside come Tourney time is far more valuable than Loyer or Morton. Loyer is one lockdown defender away from being useless.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT