ADVERTISEMENT

There will be lots of theories and reasons. But it only this…

Best home court in the country. Great facilities, solid recruiting territory. An AD willing to spend (ask Brohm).
Remind why it’s not an attractive job?
lol, we just need more dynamic guards to find it "attractive".

Best home court in the country. Great facilities, solid recruiting territory. An AD willing to spend (ask Brohm).
Remind why it’s not an attractive job?
Best home court in the country according to…Purdue fans? KU, Duke, MSU, Arkansas and others would disagree. Other schools have equal facilities, an AD willing to spend money? Brohms contract was bottom half of B1G.

Who said it’s not attractive?
I mean I have said it 😂 . Just don’t believe the AD is willing to spend money on the coach that would be better than painter and if you’re not spending money, I’m not sure how you get a top coach to think about Purdue.

I mean I have said it 😂 . Just don’t believe the AD is willing to spend money on the coach that would be better than painter and if you’re not spending money, I’m not sure how you get a top coach to think about Purdue.
Only one way to find out.

Are you though? You're saying it's not an elite job and you're 100% correct but there are a lot of things to like about it.

Everything is relative though. The vast majority of coaches nationally would find it to be a worse job than Indiana.

They must be slow learners as the same thing happened last year. Getting tired of losing to NW in football and basketball.
There are two teams on the court. Last night, Northwestern was a little bit better. Honestly, there was nothing in last night’s game that changed my perspective on Purdue. Games like that happen. It sucks, but it wasn’t losing to FDU in the first round. It was a narrow loss to a solid Big Ten team who played a great game inspired by their home crowd and the chance to knock off #1. Anyone who thinks that Purdue is so good now that they are immune to such a thing is not living in reality.

And NW isn't even a pressing team on defense. The Purdue defense was horrific tonight. It is what it is with Edey in his drop coverage. If dudes are going to make their shut mid-range sh*t nothing you can do until you have a more mobile 5 in the game.

Pick and roll is the best play in basketball. Booie was insane all night and played a perfect game just like that dude for IU did at Mackey last year. And when you couple a horrible defender like Loyer in there UH-OH. Purdue is in big trouble.
Our problem is we can’t guard high ball screens. It’s been a problem for years. Give me 5 min of some kind of zone. Mix things up and be adaptable. Will never happen,

lol, we just need more dynamic guards to find it "attractive".
Purdue has very good guards and more on the way in next year’s class.

Even in Buie’s class, Purdue had the better guard in Jaden Ivey, but he was so good that he went pro.

Smith had a bad game, but he is still a tremendous guard and he will bounce back.

As far as the drop coverage that Buie exploited, it is a worthwhile trade-off when you have Zach Edey. (It may change after Edey leaves, but Painter would be crazy not to feature Edey, who gives Purdue huge advantages). Purdue had plenty of opportunities to beat Northwestern if the execution was better. This was simply a case of the home underdog making more plays.

True, you blamed officiating.
It’s a strategy that we will continue to see—dare the refs to call fouls by playing overly aggressive. It didn’t work for UT this year or Texas in 2022 when we shot almost 50 FTs, but did work for SP the next weekend and it worked for Maryland and northwestern last year.

It’s a good strategy, ngl. It’s hard to guard Zach and refs don’t know how to officiate it. I would do it if I was disadvantaged as a coach vs Purdue.

Painter said after the FDU debacle that he was going to do some soul searching and figure out what / how to change (paraphrasing here). While this isn’t March, I have not seen anything different from him. If I have overlooked something, please let me know. Carry on.
Painter is the conservative men's basketball coach at the most conservative school in the most conservative state in the US. Things like "Change" and "reflection" are just not part of the vernacular in Indiana.

Anything other than pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and doing the same thing over and over again is actively frowned upon, and viewed as showing weakness.

And 99% of Purdue fans convince themselves that CMP is the only man for the job, because hiring somebody from outside the Purdue family (and the Purdue mindset of "this is fine") is far too scary.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Painter is the conservative men's basketball coach at the most conservative school in the most conservative state in the US. Things like "Change" and "reflection" are just not part of the vernacular in Indiana.

Anything other than pulling yourself up by the bootstraps and doing the same thing over and over again is actively frowned upon, and viewed as showing weakness.

And 99% of Purdue fans convince themselves that CMP is the only man for the job, because hiring somebody from outside the Purdue family (and the Purdue mindset of "this is fine") is far too scary.
Let’s fire Painter right now! Pay the buyout and find our next coach.

Love that ppl aren’t standing for just B1G championships and just making the tourney.

Purdue has very good guards and more on the way in next year’s class.

Even in Buie’s class, Purdue had the better guard in Jaden Ivey, but he was so good that he went pro.

Smith had a bad game, but he is still a tremendous guard and he will bounce back.

As far as the drop coverage that Buie exploited, it is a worthwhile trade-off when you have Zach Edey. (It may change after Edey leaves, but Painter would be crazy not to feature Edey, who gives Purdue huge advantages). Purdue had plenty of opportunities to beat Northwestern if the execution was better. This was simply a case of the home underdog making more plays.
I'm not saying that Edey and drop coverage didn't exist. However, the much bigger problem was the high ball screens set by the other guard in order to get anyone but Jones guarding Boo. Especially when Loyer was in there. Hummel called it several times as Boo was bringing the ball near half-court. We simply had no answer to that and it cost us dearly.

Reactions: Boiler8285
I'm not saying that Edey and drop coverage didn't exist. However, the much bigger problem was the high ball screens set by the other guard in order to get anyone but Jones guarding Boo. Especially when Loyer was in there. Hummel called it several times as Boo was bringing the ball near half-court. We simply had no answer to that and it cost us dearly.
Fair point. Buie was outstanding last night in part because of the D and in part because he was making very difficult plays look easy. It reminded me of what JHS did last year. I still think switching the screens made sense and I also think that Purdue could have overcome it with better execution on offense.

Are you though? You're saying it's not an elite job and you're 100% correct but there are a lot of things to like about it.

Everything is relative though. The vast majority of coaches nationally would find it to be a worse job than Indiana.
How can you say that when iu has whiffed on their top HC choices the last 2 or 3 hires?

WTH are you talking about? There’s plenty of fans looking forward to the eventual coaching change.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
Purdue felt pressure before the game. They were number one in the nation. They were playing a team that plays like FDU, that beat them before when they were number one , playing at home. They collapsed under pressure again. That caused the bad turnovers, missed threes, wide open shots for NW. The coach had no answer for Bouie and just tried the same thing over and over again. Handling pressure poorly is a fatal flaw of this team and I’m afraid it emanates from the coach and may not be fixable.
Purdue felt pressure before the game. They were number one in the nation. They were playing a team that plays like FDU, that beat them before when they were number one , playing at home. They collapsed under pressure again. That caused the bad turnovers, missed threes, wide open shots for NW. The coach had no answer for Bouie and just tried the same thing over and over again. Handling pressure poorly is a fatal flaw of this team and I’m afraid it emanates from the coach and may not be fixable.
It’s Painter.

Let’s fire Painter right now! Pay the buyout and find our next coach.

Love that ppl aren’t standing for just B1G championships and just making the tourney.
Just like the NFL or NBA. Teams aren't happy with just winning their conference and going to the playoffs. The want to actually win it all.

It’s a strategy that we will continue to see—dare the refs to call fouls by playing overly aggressive. It didn’t work for UT this year or Texas in 2022 when we shot almost 50 FTs, but did work for SP the next weekend and it worked for Maryland and northwestern last year.

It’s a good strategy, ngl. It’s hard to guard Zach and refs don’t know how to officiate it. I would do it if I was disadvantaged as a coach vs Purdue.
and if they call fouls the human nature questions if they are being fair to the other team and then …

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Let’s be clear, Purdue did not lose because of uncalled fouls. They lost because of lousy 26% three point shooting( 14% from those not named Loyer). They lost because of turnovers due mostly to bad decisions or weak passes. They lost because of a great performance by Bouie and Loyer/ Heide were helpless against him. Coach had no other answers. They lost because our “ athletic young newcomers added nothing except matador defense. Our older “ athletic newcomer was just wild and missing shots.

Reactions: tjreese
Let’s be clear, Purdue did not lose because of uncalled fouls. They lost because of lousy 26% three point shooting( 14% from those not named Loyer). They lost because of turnovers due mostly to bad decisions or weak passes. They lost because of a great performance by Bouie and Loyer/ Heide were helpless against him. Coach had no other answers. They lost because our “ athletic young newcomers added nothing except matador defense. Our older “ athletic newcomer was just wild and missing shots.
Not saying it was. I agree we lost because of the things you mentioned. I was referencing the strategy of daring the refs to call fouls in past games and saying that those teams didn’t play amazing, they employed that strategy.

Reactions: tjreese and Gman544
no doubt. How long do you think it’ll take with a new coach to win it all at Purdue with a new staff, new team and new recruits?
Who knows. Maybe never honestly. I think most people are so upset because it's not like Painter is making huge changes to try to make a deep run. He has great recruits but his coaching decisions and being stubborn is what's so frustrating.

Just like the NFL or NBA. Teams aren't happy with just winning their conference and going to the playoffs. The want to actually win it all.
Any thought this could change after the addition of the PAC Ten Teams? Let's not even concern ourselves with this year.

Which is more likely to happen first:
  • Purdue wins the B1G in football
  • Purdue goes to a Final Four in basketball
Winning B1G championship should be a big deal. To be the best out of 18 Power Conference teams will be no small accomplishment and won't be an easy task in years to come. We just take a lot of things for granted when it comes to our basketball program.

Reactions: northside100

Another iu guy worrying about Purdue. Have a great day.

Now do IU.

Reactions: Schnelk
his coaching decisions and being stubborn is what's so frustrating.
What coaching decisions?

The NU loss was frustrating to me and I don't know if this team will in fact improve enough to make a deep NCAAT run but to me the consistent issue remains not taking care of the ball. Defense was also poor, giving up 44 points in the second half but a significant portion of that can in transition off of turnovers.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Who knows. Maybe never honestly. I think most people are so upset because it's not like Painter is making huge changes to try to make a deep run. He has great recruits but his coaching decisions and being stubborn is what's so frustrating.
Wonder if Marquette, UK and Duke are mad with their coaches for not making changes too?

I don't believe that most people are upset, but of the upset people there is a whole spectrum of opinions in what they would like Matt to do. Do you really think Matt is stubborn and is not open minded in reaching the highest goal he desires? Really? All the hours Matt dedicates in seeing games, visiting recruits, practicing and Matt is too stubborn to do what he needs that is obvious to those that believe he is stubborn? He lives 24-7 on basketball and to be too stubborn to do what he knows he needs to do? No, he just disagrees with those that have a different opinion and I doubt any coach is going to make "HUGE" changes to a very successful team. People that think Matt is stubborn have no idea how much work goes he does trying to reach his goals and to give that up due to being stubborn?????? This is not to you in particular, but to all that think "stubbornness" is why Matt doesn't hold the same opinion as those that think they are right...and Matt is only stubborn. It is illogical for that to be the consideration...just a difference of opinion exists.

Wonder if Marquette, UK and Duke are mad with their coaches for not making changes too?
Maybe umm but you know Shaka has elevated Marquette from hardly noticed into the national conversation in a few years. Sheyer is just a couple years in at a program that has many national championships. Kentucky owner of many championships including at least one under the current coach is probably a bit upset. Purdue owner of zero final fours under two great coaches for over 40 years and numerous recent exits to supposedly lower end programs should be just pleased as punch. Sure fine.

Maybe umm but you know Shaka has elevated Marquette from hardly noticed into the national conversation in a few years. Sheyer is just a couple years in at a program that has many national championships. Kentucky owner of many championships including at least one under the current coach is probably a bit upset. Purdue owner of zero final fours under two great coaches for over 40 years and numerous recent exits to supposedly lower end programs should be just pleased as punch. Sure fine.
Shaka is looked at as just as disappointing as painter as, outside of his miraculous F4 run with VCU, he has severely underwhelmed in the tournament at Texas and Marquette and not made it out of the first weekend…painter has been to more S16s and same amount of E8s and Shaka has been to a F4 (which they beat us that year). He’s had some high ranking recruiting classes and not done much in postseason and a lot of Marquette fans are saying “here we go again”. I like him tho.

I also like Scheyer, but Duke has dropped games that Duke in the past do not. Duke fans are giving him some slack but are growing a little restless. Lots of UK fans want Cal gone as he hasn’t produced to their standards, as he hasn’t made it to the second weekend in the past 3 tournaments. I’d love to have Cal btw.

Just showing that losing happens, and we are trending better than other Purdue teams of the past with 4 of 6 s16 and an E8 that was a play away from the F4 (obscoisuku double digit seed losses in the tourney suck really bad). We have one of the best if not the best recruiting class coming in next year. I’m going to give painter 3 years (including this one) to get to a F4.

I'm not sure fans realize how hard it is to get to a FF if you're not a 1 or 2 seed and the reality is Purdue has only been a #1 seed once (last year) and a 2 seed once (2018) under Painter.

The percentage of teams that make the FF drops dramatically If you're not a #1, or #2 seed and if you're not a 3 or 4 seed you have a very small chance of reaching the FF.

What coaching decisions?

The NU loss was frustrating to me and I don't know if this team will in fact improve enough to make a deep NCAAT run but to me the consistent issue remains not taking care of the ball. Defense was also poor, giving up 44 points in the second half but a significant portion of that can in transition off of turnovers.
But lets be honest. Without Jones in the game their guards did almost anything they wanted against Heide and Loyer.

I do have a question for anyone who is in the know. Is Smith considered to be a good on the ball defender?

Just asking because the way Buie was abusing Loyer and Heide was just curious why Painter didn't let Smith take a run at him. I haven't seen that discussed much on this board.

Reactions: northside100
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT