ADVERTISEMENT

That was some brilliant coaching

Painter was great today and this entire tournament on offense. I see a huge positive difference in the team offensively. His use of fouls to give has been very good too.

However he badly needs a defensive assistant to take over that side of the ball to add more looks and to stop defaulting into going over on every screen. There are some guys you should be going under. You play matchups you dont automatically give teams advantages. We are to good of a team right now for it to matter but the teams only get tougher from here

Painter was great today and this entire tournament on offense. I see a huge positive difference in the team offensively. His use of fouls to give has been very good too.

However he badly needs a defensive assistant to take over that side of the ball to add more looks and to stop defaulting into going over on every screen. There are some guys you should be going under. You play matchups you dont automatically give teams advantages. We are to good of a team right now for it to matter but the teams only get tougher from here
Couldn’t disagree more about the defense. Purdue is brilliantly coached on D. That was one of the best offensive teams in the country that Purdue played tonight.

Couldn’t disagree more about the defense. Purdue is brilliantly coached on D. That was one of the best offensive teams in the country that Purdue played tonight.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This boards reputation holds up again

Zero criticism allowed. The defense was objectively horrendous in the 1st half and a gameplan of putting our PG on their center in the post and going over a screen 7 feet behind the 3 pt line of a 32% 3 ot shooter is OBJECTIVELY bad.

No matter what your homer ass says

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Zero criticism allowed. The defense was objectively horrendous in the 1st half and a gameplan of putting our PG on their center in the post and going over a screen 7 feet behind the 3 pt line of a 32% 3 ot shooter is OBJECTIVELY bad.

Maybe it's your delivery and not your message?

Bottom line: You are an asshole.

And probably equally as unaware irl as you are online.

Maybe it's your delivery and not your message?

Bottom line: You are an asshole.

And probably equally as unaware irl as you are online.
Ah, so now its personal attacks when you cant deny what I am saying is accurate.

The instant I started posting here as soon as any messages introduced criticism I was immediately met with personal attacks from everywhere and told Im not a purdue fan Im an IU fan a fake fan, an idiot, clueless, etc

Then when I refuse to back down because my comments are in fact correct in terms of the criticisms in certain aspects, its now being an asshole.

Its hilarious how this board is. It seems more like a cheerleader forum than an actual collection of basketball fans. Either get in line and never criticize, or get lambasted.

It shouldnt be sacreligious to question some things that are clearly issues and not have to deal with 20 different people clearly not able to handle a complex discussion on schemes tell you that you are a fake fan, an asshole, an idiot

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Is he not allowed to disagree? He didn't throw a tantrum or call you names. He simply disagreed. Meanwhile you melt into hysterics every time someone misses a free throw.

Ah, so now its personal attacks when you cant deny what I am saying is accurate.

The instant I started posting here as soon as any messages introduced criticism I was immediately met with personal attacks from everywhere and told Im not a purdue fan Im an IU fan a fake fan, an idiot, clueless, etc

Then when I refuse to back down because my comments are in fact correct in terms of the criticisms in certain aspects, its now being an asshole.

Its hilarious how this board is. It seems more like a cheerleader forum than an actual collection of basketball fans. Either get in line and never criticize, or get lambasted.

It shouldnt be sacreligious to question some things that are clearly issues and not have to deal with 20 different people clearly not able to handle a complex discussion on schemes tell you that you are a fake fan, an asshole, an idiot
Not an attack. Statement of fact.

Reactions: Schnelk
Is he not allowed to disagree? He didn't throw a tantrum or call you names. He simply disagreed. Meanwhile you melt into hysterics every time someone misses a free throw.
He can disagree sure. But he is wrong. And you are not entitled to being absolved from being wrong

Sending Morton in to get 2 fouls to slow the Zags down at the end of the first half then the adjustments made all second half were just brilliant.

I truly was hoping Braden got a triple double though.. ah well SUNDAY HE CAN!!!!
Yeah, I'm standing beside the TV telling Kim what they are going to do after about 4 seconds around half court and such with two fouls to give when seconds later an announcer being on team fouls says they got one more when it went from 4 to 6. Great win...crappy announcers and lack of replays on TV

Every victory Purdue collects proves you wrong.

Every midgame crybaby post proves you're an infantile jackass.
Every game proves me wrong how? I didnt say we cant win. This team is good enough to beat everyone, but we are choosing to do some things on defense that are making it harder.

Keep proving my point about your kind though plz

Yeah, the Morton foul tactic was brilliant. You could even see Morton laughing about it while he went to the bench.

Just a subtle example of why Painter is such a good coach.
I mean, that was kind of an obvious decision, if we’re being honest. That said, CMP’s 2nd half adjustments were awesome.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Every game proves me wrong how? I didnt say we cant win. This team is good enough to beat everyone, but we are choosing to do some things on defense that are making it harder.

Candidly, your basketball knowledge is very clearly limited. Purdue doesn’t have ideal personnel defensively so there has to be some give and take on that end. If you can’t see that Painter and his staff are damn near maximizing the defensive potential of this team, that says a lot more about you than our coaching staff or this board.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nope. The defense was not good until about 9 minutes and change left in the first half. 24 points in that time. The last 10 minutes 12 points. Purdue dug in and the scoring spree for Gonzaga was over. Also, Gonzaga is a very good offensive team, they have some skilled players, a good coach and run good stuff. No surprise they had some success, but Painter and company turned that around quickly.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Candidly, your basketball knowledge is very clearly limited. Purdue doesn’t have ideal personnel defensively so there has to be some give and take on that end. If you can’t see that Painter and his staff are damn near maximizing the defensive potential of this team, that says a lot more about you than our coaching staff or this board.
Ah so its back to personal attacks because you lack any substance.

Our defensive personel has ZERO TO DO with going over a screen 7 ft beyond the 3 pt line on a 32% 3 pt shooter who isnt looking to shoot.

It could be a fan in the stands or the best defender in the country it makes no difference in that scenario.

Try again. Maybe go for a new personal attack this time to distract from your ignorance with Xs and Os

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
Nope. The defense was not good for about 9 minutes and change. 24 points in that time. The last 10 minutes 12 points. Purdue dug in and the scoring spree for Gonzaga was over. Also, Gonzaga is a very good offensive team, they have some skilled players, a good coach and run good stuff. No surprise they had some success, but Painter and company turned that around quickly.
Ya, our offense was our best defense tonight. Fouling out their 2 top scorers and having a 3rd barely play tends to hurt that teams offense.

Our offense is championship caliber

Reactions: Gemini95
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Definitely some gaps in first half, but made some good halftime adjustments. I thought Heide and Jones played well in second half keeping Nembhard in check.

Reactions: Schnelk
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nothing more ignorant than thinking holding Gonzaga to 68 pts isn't good defense

Ya, our offense was our best defense tonight. Fouling out their 2 top scorers and having a 3rd barely play tends to hurt that teams offense.

Our offense is championship caliber
They were not fouled out 10 minutes to go in half one. Ike fouled out late, the game was all but over. He looked glad to be out. But yes the offense is very good, the defense just ok. But I credit the defense in this and other games for righting the ship after slow starts.

Purdue drops Zach on pick and rolls and that’s where Gonzaga was trying to attack. If Zach follows his man instead of switching, the guard has an open shot. On non pick and rolls, Painter also plays the analytics and is OK if the other team shoots long 2s—they’re bad shots technically and low %. With Ike hitting 2 3s, he had hit 5 all year and hit 2 today, which you live with and then missed the rest going forward. Watson was a low volume 3 guy and made 1 and missed one, so that’s why he was open—playing the numbers. That was mostly second half.

Painter and staff then showed their adjustments for second half, just like all year, and Purdue held a red hot team to 68.

You implement a game plan in the first half, and if it doesn’t work, you adjust in second half. No team is perfect every game with this.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Your reputation holds up again. Village idiot without a clue. And playing the victim when called out.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Maybe these are why ppl are over what you say and act like the sky is falling?

I still see the same team that loses to a double digit seed. I pray im wrong I truly do but I see the exact same team

I mean we cant even fuvking get shots up if it isnt chucking it into edey who then turns it over or misses fts

This team will be extremely lucky to make it to the 2nd weekend

LOOK AT THIS SHIT WE CANT EVEN KEEP THE BALL FOR 10 SECONDS

THIS IS THE SAME TEAM AS LAST YEARS 1ST ROUND EXIT

you guys can call me WHATEVER you want but no one wants this team to make a deep run MORE THAN ME.

But this team is losing either vs the 16 seed or the 8/9 seed in game 2.

This is the exact same team as all others and it is a painters M.O. all over it

What are you saying? That we were equally able to be upset last year? Not understanding.

My point is come tournament time we ALWAYS tighten up and start playing this super scared and conservative half court style that gets shut down come tournament time with more physicality allowed and more pressure.

We start passing up 3s, missing open 3s, missing fts, turning it over, forcing NO TURNOVERS, and not playing with pace

This is all the same issues as before even if we are technically a better team we have ALL the same weaknesses that are esp taken advantage of come tournament time when guards take over.

We have ZERO shot creating guards

This is absolutely unreal.

Each posession that goes by is us diverting more and more into all the teams that lose to double sigit seeds.

This IS the same team. This big man focused basketball DOES NOT WORK come March.

START RECRUITING SHOT CREATING WINGS AND GUARDS FOR **** SAKE

Smith cant attack the basket at all. He doesnt have a single layup attempt driving in either of the 2 games this tourney. Unbelievable

Dont worry Im assured by the "real fans" that this years team doesnt have the issues as every other team we have had

Oh wow look, I certainly have never seen purdue teams of the past in march not be able to inbound and finish games that have a 95% win chance LMFAO

This is DEFINITELY a different team from years past, all the REAL fans are right

Lmfaoooo lets inbound to edey more plz down the stretch.

A turnover a 1 for 2 on fts

This team is such trash in march its almost comical

Painter is the most consistent coach in march HISTORY

More missed fts

Same. Ass. Team.

Same. ****ing. Team.

I just cant wait fir all the "real fans" to tell us how great things are after we lose next week and go home.

I really CANT WAIT to be taught and corrected by all the "real fans" who "actually know basketball"

Plz, teach the rest of us.

Clowns

Same shit. SAME SHIT EVERY YEAR.

And some of you are so ****ing cult like that you have the AUDACITY to call those of us concerned with the blatant issues as "not real fans"

Absolutely PATHETIC.

Painter and our style of big man and nothing else lost this game and it will lose early in march madness again.

And we will then do the same shit next year with ZERO adjustments

No but he coaches and recruits to the same exact extinct style of basketball and the same things lose us games early in march EVERY year.

And the 1 year he must have ****ed up and actually had an elite guard and a non back to basket big we made the elite 8 and were a bad clock start from the final 4.

And hes only doubled down on back to basket bball and we havent sniffed the final 4 since, and wont

Idgaf about our regular season. I care about the tournament. I dont care about this loss but I do care about HOW and WHY we lost and they are the same issues we have had the last month and the same issues that have caused us to lose to double digit seeds how many years in a row now????

I admit there is some value in not playing tomorrow.

Im not mad that we LOST, im upset HOW the loss happened.

Our guards were MASSIVELY outplayed by ****ing WISCONSIN guards. Our guards are always suddenly the worst guards on the court in every gsme in March we play

This has been so ignored. The other 1 seeds, who may still lose their tournament finals, have been blowing the hell out of most teams the last month as we have scraped by. But to most that isnt a warning sign at all

I been talking about red flags all month and here we are. 4 for 10 fts 2 of which are front end misses so 4 for 12 basically.

Our bad play isnt the same as other teams... it is indicative of things to come. Thankfully this team is so appallingly bad we are still up by 9. This ****ing team looks EXACTLY like it has the past month, which is ****ing awful.

TKR is literally like playing 4v5, and Lance Jones is making it 3v5.

****ing pathetic ass shit

We are going to lose this game. Our guards are still horrific when it counts. Smith once again doing STUPID SHIT

Maybe these are why ppl are over what you say and act like the sky is falling?
Yes the way we were playing entering the tourney was highly worrisome. Painter seemed to change the offense a bit and get us back to how we played early.

Someone else mentioned this a week or 2 ago and I give them credit, they noticed we werent getting any fast break points at all, we werent pushing the ball or anything.

Why some people shouldn't drink. I suspect a deeper problem, though. And I'm sure he has heard about it outside the message boards.
Lol another personal attack, keep em coming. If it helps you cope with the inability to offer anything X and O related thats fine

Sending Morton in to get 2 fouls to slow the Zags down at the end of the first half then the adjustments made all second half were just brilliant.

I truly was hoping Braden got a triple double though.. ah well SUNDAY HE CAN!!!!
I thought Painter should have taken the starters out with about two minutes to go. Risking injury by leaving them in.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER

Bro perhaps it’s your extreme view of needing an entirely new coach for d because of one half?

Funny to think how many times everyone here wanted to fire him in the past few years.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You could.. you know.. not post here.

You're exactly who Painter was talking about when he mentioned "gathering at Wal-Mart" not long ago because you 100% have no idea what you're talking about.

He can disagree sure. But he is wrong. And you are not entitled to being absolved from being wrong
Sorry dude but you are just not the giver of absolution or the arbiter of right and wrong here.
You're a hyper-reactionary commentor and a really, really bad, communicator. And until that changes you just aren't going to get constructive dialogue and positive feedback from others here. All those quotes that DwaynePurvis posted of yours are bananas reactions.
Between that and the persecution complex ("zero criticism allowed..") oh boo hoo there's plenty of disagreement and criticism. Just make a counter argument. Tell people why you disagree instead of freaking out every other post.
Have a blessed day.

Lol another personal attack, keep em coming. If it helps you cope with the inability to offer anything X and O related thats fine
So simple question, how many B1G games have you coached in again? How about just DIV 1? Or more importantly, how many tourney games have you coached in again? If the answer to any of those is zero.. then you are just a Wal-Mart "coach" stuck drawing up bad plays in the frozen food section.

And this is for you:
Shut Your Mouth GIF by The3Flamingos

And now I will heed the advice of others and stop feeding the clueless troll.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I may be an idiot for taking your post seriously, but I enjoy the subject, so I will respond.

Two years ago, Painter had what I think was his most talented team, yet by all metrics they were not good on defense. It was frustrating to watch them play disconnected basketball, with one player not knowing what to expect from another.

This year, Purdue does not have a team that should be great defensively. This is a team built to score and they are great at what they do. Yet, Purdue had a top 20 defense. It really is an impressive feat when you consider that this is the era of positionless basketball and Painter is playing a very traditional line-up. The key is that they are playing intelligent basketball as a unit, following a well designed game plan.

Painter takes D so seriously that he has two assistant coaches focused on it. He also hired an outside analytics firm after last season to help him optimize points per possession on both ends of the court. Purdue comes into every game with a plan to take away what the opposing team does best. For Gonzaga, it is not hard to see that they were running an extremely effective pick and roll offense, hurting teams from three and at the rim for the second half of the season. Purdue never let them get comfortable from 3 and really took their inside game away after a slow start. Sure, Gonzaga was able to get some open pull-ups and some favorable switches, but generally they were forced into a lot of difficult shots over Edey where Purdue was able to stay sound and not foul. When combined with great offense, that is exactly what Purdue needed to do to win comfortably.

I may be an idiot for taking your post seriously, but I enjoy the subject, so I will respond.

Two years ago, Painter had what I think was his most talented team, yet by all metrics they were not good on defense. It was frustrating to watch them play disconnected basketball, with one player not knowing what to expect from another.

This year, Purdue does not have a team that should be great defensively. This is a team built to score and they are great at what they do. Yet, Purdue had a top 20 defense. It really is an impressive feat when you consider that this is the era of positionless basketball and Painter is playing a very traditional line-up. The key is that they are playing intelligent basketball as a unit, following a well designed game plan.

Painter takes D so seriously that he has two assistant coaches focused on it. He also hired an outside analytics firm after last season to help him optimize points per possession on both ends of the court. Purdue comes into every game with a plan to take away what the opposing team does best. For Gonzaga, it is not hard to see that they were running an extremely effective pick and roll offense, hurting teams from three and at the rim for the second half of the season. Purdue never let them get comfortable from 3 and really took their inside game away after a slow start. Sure, Gonzaga was able to get some open pull-ups and some favorable switches, but generally they were forced into a lot of difficult shots over Edey where Purdue was able to stay sound and not foul. When combined with great offense, that is exactly what Purdue needed to do to win comfortably.
WISDOM - true understanding of the game and of Matt's game plan - which clearly worked when at least ten other D-1 Coache's have not in the past few weeks.

Now get ready to be called a homer-ass by someone who immediately calls out others for personal attacks on her.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT