ADVERTISEMENT

That was some brilliant coaching

Sending Morton in to get 2 fouls to slow the Zags down at the end of the first half then the adjustments made all second half were just brilliant.

I truly was hoping Braden got a triple double though.. ah well SUNDAY HE CAN!!!!
BBQ, where you been? Long time.

Purdue drops Zach on pick and rolls and that’s where Gonzaga was trying to attack. If Zach follows his man instead of switching, the guard has an open shot. On non pick and rolls, Painter also plays the analytics and is OK if the other team shoots long 2s—they’re bad shots technically and low %. With Ike hitting 2 3s, he had hit 5 all year and hit 2 today, which you live with and then missed the rest going forward. Watson was a low volume 3 guy and made 1 and missed one, so that’s why he was open—playing the numbers. That was mostly second half.

Painter and staff then showed their adjustments for second half, just like all year, and Purdue held a red hot team to 68.

You implement a game plan in the first half, and if it doesn’t work, you adjust in second half. No team is perfect every game with this.
Allowing the long 2s strategy has given me heartburn this year. But it has worked.

I may be an idiot for taking your post seriously, but I enjoy the subject, so I will respond.

Two years ago, Painter had what I think was his most talented team, yet by all metrics they were not good on defense. It was frustrating to watch them play disconnected basketball, with one player not knowing what to expect from another.

This year, Purdue does not have a team that should be great defensively. This is a team built to score and they are great at what they do. Yet, Purdue had a top 20 defense. It really is an impressive feat when you consider that this is the era of positionless basketball and Painter is playing a very traditional line-up. The key is that they are playing intelligent basketball as a unit, following a well designed game plan.

Painter takes D so seriously that he has two assistant coaches focused on it. He also hired an outside analytics firm after last season to help him optimize points per possession on both ends of the court. Purdue comes into every game with a plan to take away what the opposing team does best. For Gonzaga, it is not hard to see that they were running an extremely effective pick and roll offense, hurting teams from three and at the rim for the second half of the season. Purdue never let them get comfortable from 3 and really took their inside game away after a slow start. Sure, Gonzaga was able to get some open pull-ups and some favorable switches, but generally they were forced into a lot of difficult shots over Edey where Purdue was able to stay sound and not foul. When combined with great offense, that is exactly what Purdue needed to do to win comfortably.
A key element of critical thinking is the final one: What are the implications and consequences of your choice? Often, the solution produces a bigger problem than the issue. What are the consequences of going under. And I know KrayKray is going to say our players are smart enough to make that decision. I also know "in the heat of battle," is real.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
BBQ, where you been? Long time.
Eh tried the other site for a while after the split just to see how things shook out and it was ... not good really. I respect Brian N. but that site is saturated with a but of $1 herpes and is more toxic than anything else. And it makes it way too easy to fall in to that kind of thinking and that isn't who I am.. so.. I came back and don't regret it one bit. Every once in a while there was "moderation" over there, but not nearly enough and it just enabled the toxicity.

Aside from a couple trolls and you (kidding), this site seems much more level headed, just like it used to be :)

Painter was great today and this entire tournament on offense. I see a huge positive difference in the team offensively. His use of fouls to give has been very good too.

However he badly needs a defensive assistant to take over that side of the ball to add more looks and to stop defaulting into going over on every screen. There are some guys you should be going under. You play matchups you dont automatically give teams advantages. We are to good of a team right now for it to matter but the teams only get tougher from here
It took some time for us to adjust our offense but we figured it out. It is pretty par for the course for us to have a game plan on defense, see how they play and counter. Then adjust based off that and really lock in especially in the second half.

Sending Morton in to get 2 fouls to slow the Zags down at the end of the first half then the adjustments made all second half were just brilliant.

I truly was hoping Braden got a triple double though.. ah well SUNDAY HE CAN!!!!
And the good thing that he did was wait a few seconds both times before committing the foul. Too often you see guys give the foul fairly immediately, which can still leave time for the offense to set something up. Morton's each took about 3 seconds off the clock, and left them with another Ike prayer from 3.

• Love
Reactions: Do Dah Day
It took some time for us to adjust our offense but we figured it out. It is pretty par for the course for us to have a game plan on defense, see how they play and counter. Then adjust based off that and really lock in especially in the second half.
Coaches who understand the game understand that the first ten minutes are to probe and see and analyze what the opponent plans to do. Comments during the first ten minutes are rarely on-target for the remainder of the game.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

This boards reputation holds up again

Zero criticism allowed. The defense was objectively horrendous in the 1st half and a gameplan of putting our PG on their center in the post and going over a screen 7 feet behind the 3 pt line of a 32% 3 ot shooter is OBJECTIVELY bad.

No matter what your homer ass says
You think the defensive strategy was to put Braden on their center? I think not. Things happen.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT