ADVERTISEMENT

Assuming the top 3 seeds in the NCAA tournament are Purdue, UCONN, and Houston

TC4THREE

All-American
Mar 20, 2002
The candidates for the 4th top seed look to be UNC, Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona, and Kansas with the others being likely 2's.

Which of those 5 do you think Purdue matches up best with? Which would you most want to avoid?

I realize we've beaten 3 of the 5 already this season. That said, I think Edey gives us an even bigger advantage when the opposition hasn't played against him before so I think I'd rather see UNC or Kansas in our bracket than any of the three we already beat. Between those 2, I'd prefer Kansas as we know Hunter Dickinson and can deal with him and their guards are less dynamic than RJ Davis.

Of the other 3, I think I'd least like to see Tennessee in our bracket. They have the players to make it hard on us in the paint and on the boards and it took a 27-point effort from Loyer to beat them in Maui if I remember correctly. Not sure I'd bank on us getting that in a rematch. Knecht seems to be getting better as the season has gone on as well. If we see them again, I'd prefer it not be until later.

Least want to see: TN
Most want to see: KU

Ziegler is a different player than when we played them in Maui. His knee is 100% and they are a much better team now then they were.

KU is the weakest of those on a neutral court. Get them away from home and they are a different team. They also aren't deep and they have an injury to their best player that has him missing games now.

I agree with Kansas. But that being said also watch out for Iowa State as a 3. They probably wouldn't be a 3 where KU is a 2, but you could see them matched with Tennessee easily. THAT would be an all-time rock fight.
For sure, Iowa State and Houston was quite the match-up. I don't like that style myself, but man, I could appreciate the way they guard people (both teams).

Marquette will have a strong case if they can beat UCONN... I can see some revenge going into that one since they were just toasted by the Huskies...

Reactions: TC4THREE
Good. Then you won't be on here complaining if they lose in the second round.
I know this is just for fun and discussion and it's a good question in a week without a weekday game, but I honestly don't care who the #2 seed in our bracket is.

I don't look at any of those teams and say 'that's a horrible matchup for us' and given that a #2 seed has less than a 50% chance of making it to the EE, I'm more worried about Purdue making it to that EE game than who we'll face there. Make it past those first three games and let the chips fall where they may.

The candidates for the 4th top seed look to be UNC, Tennessee, Marquette, Arizona, and Kansas with the others being likely 2's.

Which of those 5 do you think Purdue matches up best with? Which would you most want to avoid?

I realize we've beaten 3 of the 5 already this season. That said, I think Edey gives us an even bigger advantage when the opposition hasn't played against him before so I think I'd rather see UNC or Kansas in our bracket than any of the three we already beat. Between those 2, I'd prefer Kansas as we know Hunter Dickinson and can deal with him and their guards are less dynamic than RJ Davis.

Of the other 3, I think I'd least like to see Tennessee in our bracket. They have the players to make it hard on us in the paint and on the boards and it took a 27-point effort from Loyer to beat them in Maui if I remember correctly. Not sure I'd bank on us getting that in a rematch. Knecht seems to be getting better as the season has gone on as well. If we see them again, I'd prefer it not be until later.
I think & hope Arizona gets it. Despite our win against them, they are scary good. Kansas actually scares me the least. Our being familiar with HD's game & their lack of outside shooting makes them very beatable for this Purdue team.

I know this is just for fun and discussion and it's a good question in a week without a weekday game, but I honestly don't care who the #2 seed in our bracket is.

I don't look at any of those teams and say 'that's a horrible matchup for us' and given that a #2 seed has less than a 50% chance of making it to the EE, I'm more worried about Purdue making it to that EE game than who we'll face there. Make it past those first three games and let the chips fall where they may.
My thoughts too ... seeds weeds ... haven't meant a whole lot overall recently

I think we're all worried about PU making it to the EE game. The odds of the #2 making it also are as you say, less than 50%. But it is still the most likely scenario.

You seem to follow the sport as a whole, not just the B1G. There has to be a team you would rather not see on our #2 line?

I think & hope Arizona gets it. Despite our win against them, they are scary good. Kansas actually scares me the least. Our being familiar with HD's game & their lack of outside shooting makes them very beatable for this Purdue team.

Just drop coverage on Dejuan Harris and make him take shots.

I think we're all worried about PU making it to the EE game. The odds of the #2 making it also are as you say, less than 50%. But it is still the most likely scenario.

You seem to follow the sport as a whole, not just the B1G. There has to be a team you would rather not see on our #2 line?
You give me too much credit, or think I have even less of a life outside of CBB than I actually do. I follow the sport and like stats, but I don't watch a lot of basketball outside of the BT.

In general I worry about really physical defensive teams. Not that Purdue can't beat that type of team, they can and have, but if we're not getting calls and not hitting threes, that type of team can be problematic.

Obviously we've seen AZ and TN, both of which are good defensive teams that are quite physical (TN more than AZ, IMO). KU and UNC have strong defensive efficiency ratings but when I've watched them they didn't strike me as overly physical. Iowa State has a high defensive efficiency ranking but I haven't seen them play.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Wondering if KU losing to BYU at home pushes them down the seed line to a 3 or 4?

I think Tennessee is the most difficult because they are better now than they were in Maui. Granted, Rick Barnes is still their coach. Th

Iowa State, South Carolina and Kentucky are teams I want to avoid.

Wondering if KU losing to BYU at home pushes them down the seed line to a 3 or 4?

I think Tennessee is the most difficult because they are better now than they were in Maui. Granted, Rick Barnes is still their coach. Th

I agree with this entire post...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

They are without Kevin McCullar (spelling?) right now, so if he comes back healthy the committee is allegedly supposed to consider that. I just don't think this Kansas team is offensively good enough to be anything better than a S16 team.

They are without Kevin McCullar (spelling?) right now, so if he comes back healthy the committee is allegedly supposed to consider that. I just don't think this Kansas team is offensively good enough to be anything better than a S16 team.
He is hurt, believe back issues, and doubt he is back 100% this season. Even with him, they were vulnerable - lack bench depth, not a good 3pt shooting team and other issues.

Depending on their seed line and matchups, I don’t seem them making the second round. Regardless if McCullar is available or not, they have a lot of weaknesses and they will be exposed.

Reactions: Hausta01
I hate Kansas at this point. Had a great parlay going (teased Wisconsin to +4.5, saved by the missed FT at the end) and Kansas ruined it. So put them in our region so we can beat the ever living you know what out of them!

That being said, they're just not a good basketball team right now. Good for them.

I ventured over to Delphi Bracketology to see what their latest projections were to better answer. Honestly, with the late season slide and questions around McCullar and the rise with Iowa State, reasonable to see them switch Iowa State to 2 and KU to 3. That being said, their bracket has a 2nd round v winner of Boise St or Oklahoma. Bottom portion for S16 & E8 would be Clemson/Richmond & Auburn/Samford. Don't hate it but has some potential to see some upsets especially in those 2.

Other ones to note South Carolina/Indiana State, Creighton/Vermont, Utah St/Wake. Still a lot of games before we get there....

Reactions: Hausta01

yeh, Iowa State usually does well. also I've said here a couple of times that New Mexico is really good, just don't get alot of pub

Could say same about us as you did about UT 😂 but they’ve struggled a lot more
In the tourney than us.

KU is just not good with out McCullar and even with him, are more of a top 15-20 team. Not very deep at all.

Iowa state is super aggressive on D and should make noise in the dance. South Carolina can be dangerous but then be awful. And UK can lose at LSU and then throw up 110 vs bama the next game. They are a head scratcher but I agree, def don’t want to see them.

Self after last night's game regarding McCullar:

"We're preparing like he won't [return]," Self said. "This is who we are. When we're good, we're pretty good, and when we're not, we're not. We played pitifully tonight. ... It would help if we had [McCullar] back. But we've been dealing with this for about five weeks where he hasn't been himself from a health standpoint. Even when he played, he wasn't himself. We're not counting on [his return]. We hope it can happen, but we're certainly not banking on it."

I do not want to see us play a Barnes coached Tennessee. At all. Anywhere. And I believe having watched a lot of Mountain West this year, there are five and maybe six teams from there that can make it. Mountain West is a whole lot better conference than given credit. At some point I can see them expanding by two teams.

Last edited:
Until the dust settles on the portal we don’t know where any team stands let alone what teams are at the top

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT