ADVERTISEMENT

Student loan forgiveness

Professionals/doctors and those with masters degrees own like 60% off the debt. The top quintile owns 30% of loan debt. Of course this benefits the elite class. Just look at the data instead of anecdotes.
Debt is debt no matter how much you make. They obviously make good money but I don’t consider them part of the super elite. They have car notes, mortgage etc like anyone else. I’m sure that they can appreciate loan forgiveness like anyone else would. If they could have paid for college out of their own money they would, but they couldn’t and got the loans.

That is not true. Upper class elites don’t need student loans. If some wealthy folks have student loans, so be it. Most student loans are middle class folks. I’ve had student loans and I’m not part of the upper elite. AI’ve known, attended school with, work with etc. several folks that had student loans and they are far from wealthy.
Did you pay your student loan? How do you feel about young people not learning responsibility to pay their debts? What crappy teaching moments our govt is doing for America. Bail me out please!
I go to work so they can drive Cadillac Escalades.

That is not true. Upper class elites don’t need student loans. If some wealthy folks have student loans, so be it. Most student loans are middle class folks. I’ve had student loans and I’m not part of the upper elite. AI’ve known, attended school with, work with etc. several folks that had student loans and they are far from wealthy.
Yeah, I know a lot of people knocking down $150-200k that can handle putting a kid through college for 4 years and then a graduate degree. Not.

50% of the college debt the Democrats are trying to forgive is for graduate students.

50% of college debt is for graduate students. That MBA needs a bail out.​

Did you pay your student loan? How do you feel about young people not learning responsibility to pay their debts? What crappy teaching moments our govt is doing for America. Bail me out please!
I go to work so they can drive Cadillac Escalades.
Yep, paid back my loans. I rather have people get loans paid for than bailing out the the super wealthy with corporate welfare. How about common folks getting bailed out for a change? I don't care if you are an RHI grad or a doctor. Student loans would be one less debt obligation to worry about. Take that money a spend would help the economy.

Yeah, I know a lot of people knocking down $150-200k that can handle putting a kid through college for 4 years and then a graduate degree. Not.

50% of the college debt the Democrats are trying to forgive is for graduate students.

50% of college debt is for graduate students​

If true, what is wrong with that? A whole lot of debt is from undergrad also, obviously. Again, y'all have no problems with tax breaks for the rich and corporate welfare.

If true, what is wrong with that? A whole lot of debt is from undergrad also, obviously. Again, y'all have no problems with tax breaks for the rich and corporate welfare.
Then just come out and say it’s a bailout for the rich, instead of saying it’s trying to help out the poor who are crumbling under debt.

you should have Elizabeth Warren take out a full page ad and say that. The Republicans know it’s true…it’s a bailout for people like AOC.

Yep, paid back my loans. I rather have people get loans paid for than bailing out the the super wealthy with corporate welfare. How about common folks getting bailed out for a change? I don't care if you are an RHI grad or a doctor. Student loans would be one less debt obligation to worry about. Take that money a spend would help the economy.
Paid my loans back as well. Don’t want banks or car companies bailed either. Bad business for corporations = Chapter 11.
Young adults need to manage their budgets, and if they want more money, then get a better job with better pay. I don’t want to pay for their cars and houses too. Do you?

Paid my loans back as well. Don’t want banks or car companies bailed either. Bad business for corporations = Chapter 11.
Young adults need to manage their budgets, and if they want more money, then get a better job with better pay. I don’t want to pay for their cars and houses too. Do you?
Do you support tax breaks for the rich? I don’t want to pay for that.

No. Answer the original question.
You want to pay for car and house default loans due to young adults not being responsible? Mound their debt, default and demand govt to pay! Where do they learn responsibility?

Reactions: bonefish1
Unless of course it’s paying for rich peoples MBAs….there’s nothing wrong with that…or getting deductions for SALT taxes….Right Nancy, right Chuck?

You’re supporting debt forgiveness for ~10 million people that are in the upper 20%.

Look, I don’t care to hash this out with someone who clearly doesn’t understand the topic in any way. I’ll leave it at this, there is no reason on God’s earth that the United States congress should be forgiving my student loan debt. None. It’s debt forgiveness for the high upper middle class (however you choose to class us) and the wealthy. Simple as that.

Rich people don't take out student loans.
So people who want a college education at a Harvard can just drop $600k for an undergrad and MBA? Even for people knocking down $300-500k/yr might find that price a little high to just write out of checking account.

There are people in Congress with $300k in college debt….obviously they live near the Clampetts before the Clampetts moved to Beverly Hills.

But I’m sure it’s just the “poor” that are being helped with the student loan bailout.

For every "heart surgeon" with student debt, there are 100 people with bachelors degrees who can't afford to buy their first home at almost age 40 because they can barely keep up with interest payments on their student loans.

But y'all went to college when it cost a buck fifty so stay willfully ignorant if you want.

For every "heart surgeon" with student debt, there are 100 people with bachelors degrees who can't afford to buy their first home at almost age 40 because they can barely keep up with interest payments on their student loans.

But y'all went to college when it cost a buck fifty so stay willfully ignorant if you want.
So, per Elizabeth Warren, “Let’s bail out everyone”. Both the poor and the “poor” heart surgeons!

So, per Elizabeth Warren, “Let’s bail out everyone”. Both the poor and the “poor” heart surgeons!
Well when they start giving out free automobiles to some, there will be nothing people will have to pay for. Everything else is already free for some. Take out a loan default on purpose then loan forgiveness rich or poor. People being responsible for their own actions is becoming laughable and disgusting.

Reactions: bonefish1

Why is heart surgeon in quotes? Are you implying that heart surgeons don't exist or don't have student debt?

More totally clueless, unsubstantiated drivel in this thread. I finished my MBA four years ago so if by meaning “a buck fifty” you mean $150,000, then you’re right. My undergrad loans from Purdue were over $60,000 and I paid them off in five years. I’m far from ignorant on the topic.

For those not being able to buy a home because they can’t afford their student loans… just wait until they see their mortgage interest and taxes 🤣. Do they know they’ll have interest on mortgages? Or will they want the taxpayer to support them on that as well. They honestly shouldn’t be buying a home at all if they couldn’t make responsible decisions to borrow money they couldn’t pay back in the first place.

And to your first point. You’re just wrong. Most of the student loan debt belongs to those in the upper middle class and wealthy. You don’t need your taxpayer funded college education to go to Google and find the government data on the debts.

Last edited:
Yes. Universal programs have been proven to be more efficacious than means-tested ones time and time again.
Ah, so you are for a single/universal tax rate I assume. Or just on the redistribution of wealth?

And if not, why not regulate everyone’s pay. That would seem efficacious as we could do away with the tax code. And have free college, healthcare and Universal income (no need for UBI).

The funny thing is that the tuition forgiveness critics in this discussion if given the chance to forgive their loans at the time would jump at the chance in a heartbeat.

The funny thing is that the tuition forgiveness critics in this discussion if given the chance to forgive their loans at the time would jump at the chance in a heartbeat.

Incorrect, but nice try

Also, just because a policy would favor me directly doesn't make it a good idea.

So stupid. If progressive leaders offered everyone in the country $1 billion dollars we’d all take it. That doesn’t make the idea a good one.

This conversation is like trying to explain the value of money to my five year old.

Wrong. Guess it depends on your definition of rich but my neighbor is a heart surgeon who is still paying student loans. They’re very wealthy but much of it is on paper. It’s not like they just have piles of cash sitting around.
Sorry to throw shade regarding your neighbor heart surgeon. The heart surgeon I know retired early, had a nice Lake home on Pewaukee Lake, had a floatplane and sold his Lake home to build his ranch home in Montana. He worked his butt off weekdays and weekends for years and paid his debts.

So stupid. If progressive leaders offered everyone in the country $1 billion dollars we’d all take it. That doesn’t make the idea a good one.

This conversation is like trying to explain the value of money to my five year old.
Let me get this straight. Forgiving student loans debt is a bad idea. But you will accept it if offered? If it is a bad idea, then you should have no part on it.

It's almost as stupid as thinking slave reparations is a good idea, but not quite.
I already asked you this a while back about whether or not you would accept money to lay back student loan debt. You said that you would, even though you are against it.

As far as slave reparations, I would pose the similar question to the black traitors; the Candace Owen's, Larry Elder types that are against reparations. I would bet if the US cut them a check for $50K they would cash that check with the quickness.

Sorry to throw shade regarding your neighbor heart surgeon. The heart surgeon I know retired early, had a nice Lake home on Pewaukee Lake, had a floatplane and sold his Lake home to build his ranch home in Montana. He worked his butt off weekdays and weekends for years and paid his debts.

I’m sure mine will be too. He’s still young. The point is forgiving student loan debt of the upper middle class and wealthy (which is the majority of the debt holders) is ridiculously stupid. We can easily afford to pay them off and we’re happily doing so before they were paused.

Rich people don't take out student loans.
From the CBO…

Student debt cancellation may be an extremely appealing political talking point, but it is not good policy. It is costly, inflationary, poorly targeted, and fails to address the root problems in our higher education financing system.

Full debt cancellation would be a massive hand-out to rich doctors and lawyers, would worsen our inflation crisis, and would cost almost as much as the entire 2017 tax cuts. Even partial debt cancellation would be costly, regressive, and inflationary. Forgiving $10,000 per person of debt would cost as much as universal pre-K or a full extension of the expanded ACA subsidies.

Their words, not mine.

Reactions: GABoilermakers
Wrong. Guess it depends on your definition of rich but my neighbor is a heart surgeon who is still paying student loans. They’re very wealthy but much of it is on paper. It’s not like they just have piles of cash sitting around.
Wealthy people don't have 'piles of cash' sitting around. Most of it should be invested in some way. Their not hoarding a million bucks in a savings account.

I already asked you this a while back about whether or not you would accept money to lay back student loan debt. You said that you would, even though you are against it.

As far as slave reparations, I would pose the similar question to the black traitors; the Candace Owen's, Larry Elder types that are against reparations. I would bet if the US cut them a check for $50K they would cash that check with the quickness.
And just like I've asked you: Do you pay the maximum amount you can in taxes or do you try to find some ways to lessen you burden come tax time?

From the CBO…

Student debt cancellation may be an extremely appealing political talking point, but it is not good policy. It is costly, inflationary, poorly targeted, and fails to address the root problems in our higher education financing system.

Full debt cancellation would be a massive hand-out to rich doctors and lawyers, would worsen our inflation crisis, and would cost almost as much as the entire 2017 tax cuts. Even partial debt cancellation would be costly, regressive, and inflationary. Forgiving $10,000 per person of debt would cost as much as universal pre-K or a full extension of the expanded ACA subsidies.

Their words, not mine.

Well if a bullshit corporate think tank says it, it must be true!

Ah, so you are for a single/universal tax rate I assume. Or just on the redistribution of wealth?

And if not, why not regulate everyone’s pay. That would seem efficacious as we could do away with the tax code. And have free college, healthcare and Universal income (no need for UBI).
Be careful not to break your neck on that slippery slope

So, you don't agree with tax cuts, but you try to reduce how much you pay in taxes?
Why? Don't you think the government needs your tax money?
I agree with tax cuts for the middle class not the rich.

As far as the government needing tax money. Yes they do. That is why the rich need to pay more instead of the middle class paying the bulk of the taxes. Rich people do noit need a tax deduction for Lear Jets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT