ADVERTISEMENT

Student loan forgiveness

SKYDOG

All-American
May 29, 2001
Is on the way. I’m starting to think that I’m one of the few who has to pay for things.

Got to think liberal art colleges would be very happy. No consequences for churning out worthless degrees

Is on the way. I’m starting to think that I’m one of the few who has to pay for things.

So you prefer that millionaires and billionaires pay less taxes than to have regular folks’ student loans forgiven? I rather have student loans forgiven.

• Haha
Reactions: Boilermaker03
So you prefer that millionaires and billionaires pay less taxes than to have regular folks’ student loans forgiven? I rather have student loans forgiven.
Yes, reward those for stupid decisions such as paying $300k for music and sociology degrees at an Ivy League school.

Meanwhile, blue collar workers get inflation

False comparison.

If govt decides to tax billaiies more, perhaps use it to pay for the vast number of programs now.....that are in deficit spending already.

NO new Govt programs needed.....pay for the ones you have now! Or eliminate them if you can't pay for them.

If you eat the meal you should pay for it. Don’t go to the restaurant if you can’t afford it. It’s that simple. Don’t go to college then.
What if the meal is sos. What if it has a hair in it. What about a used Band Aid. What about a Roadtrip or Waiting special dish.

Only for those who make less than $100k/yr…or better known as “their voting base”
Is it their voting base though? I know tons of pretty poor people that vote Republican, Trump did a great job into connecting with them for whatever reason.

Reactions: tjreese

I paid all of my college, these days college is ridiculous in its cost. Trade schools need to be pushed and college should be cheaper, it shouldn’t be free! Also, I’m for perhaps a slight reduction in the debt, however, canceling it is a bunch of bull….

The disproportionate benefactor of student loan forgiveness are upper class and upper middle class people and break it down by race the biggest benefactor will be white. Why? These people take our bigger loans and go to more elite and expensive schools. Lower income people go to JC and state schools. And you don’t think rich people will benefit? Ask AOC who lives in one of the most prestigious buildings in DC and drives a Tesla.

Statistically student debt loan forgiveness is classist and institutionally racist. But their real base (elite white people) got you thinking this policy is for poor POC. Tricked you again.

Last edited:
How very Democrat of you.....
Take the money from people who have worked, made good decisions, invested and give it to people who were too dumb to realize that taking out a loan for a worthless degree would have negative financial consequences.

The solution is to stop lending tens of thousands of dollars to 18-yr-olds who do not understand financial responsibility. If they do not have the money in hand to spend on tuition, the tuition rates will come tumbling down.
this is why financial literacy needs to be a 4 year program taught in high school and a requirement for graduation. To many financially illiterate dip$hits out there.

It's just wrong. The article talks about programs that extend the loans or adjusts rates......and errors that have been made that need to be corrected. I'm for any and all programs that make it easier for people to pay back their loans.

But they have to pay it back. Just a fundamental matter of right and wrong........and fairness. A losing issue for the Dems that Joe Sixpack will not forget.

Interesting article about this from Fox. It mentions students graduating from college and, 25 years later, unable to help their kids pay college tuition because they are still paying on their own student debt.

Student debt

What if the meal is sos. What if it has a hair in it. What about a used Band Aid. What about a Roadtrip or Waiting special dish.

Well, if it's Pizza Hut in Fort Wayne, from my experience if you find a large wing nut in your pizza, they think you should still pay for it. Though they did eventually give in and only charged us for our drinks after enough protesting.

Take the money from people who have worked, made good decisions, invested and give it to people who were too dumb to realize that taking out a loan for a worthless degree would have negative financial consequences.
Take money from people who didn’t waste their money and paid for their own kids college to help pay for kids whose parents let them take out $300k loans for a music degree from Harvard or Yale.

that’s the Democrat Way!

Next up, people who take loans on Lamborghini’s and are in default. Urgent need to help before the repo man takes the fine ride.

Nothing like dining at a restaurant for 4 years continuing to run your credit card thru and then trying to demand all charges be reimbursed…with your degree on the wall!!!!!

Reactions: Klaus 7196
Interesting article about this from Fox. It mentions students graduating from college and, 25 years later, unable to help their kids pay college tuition because they are still paying on their own student debt.

Student debt
Nothing like paying the minimum balance on your credit card.

I wonder where the kids get their stupidity on how to manage money. 🤦‍♂️

The solution is to stop lending tens of thousands of dollars to 18-yr-olds who do not understand financial responsibility. If they do not have the money in hand to spend on tuition, the tuition rates will come tumbling down.
Having a wife that at one time not too long ago worked with students concerning financial aid in a school with all its locations had enrolled as students 110,000 people she could tell a lot of stories. Buying clothing...computers every semester...no oversight into what was bought at Folletts. Then there was another woman that graduated with a BA and I believe a masters and refused to work ...at least for a paper trail so she had to pay back pennies on the dollar and still hasn't paid it back after a couple of decades I believe. There are all kinds of settlements to reduce debt and settle so that the responsible people can be charged to compensate in other ways...sorta like stolen goods in a store.

Where did we get the idea that more meaningless majors with no payback should have the taxpaers pick up the tab for that person's choice...then again, the taxpayers are picking up the tab for the illegals...

I wonder where the kids get their stupidity on how to manage money. 🤦‍♂️
Well, I think back of myself as an 18-yr-old and someone handing me $25,000 to go to college and saying, "If you need more, just let us know." There are many young people who simply lack the maturity to handle money. As far as future debt, they think "I'll worry about that when I get there."

Two things can be true: the cost of education is outrageous and people who take on that debt bear responsibility. But it’s clearly a huge issue in this country, as evidenced by the sheer numbers.

But the article doesn’t say Biden is just going to wipe out student debt. It’s essentially being restructured for a chunk of folks. Or is there something I’m missing that has some folks in this thread up in arms ?

Take money from people who didn’t waste their money and paid for their own kids college to help pay for kids whose parents let them take out $300k loans for a music degree from Harvard or Yale.

that’s the Democrat Way!

Next up, people who take loans on Lamborghini’s and are in default. Urgent need to help before the repo man takes the fine ride.
Lamborghini my ass. They're more likely to forgive all the tree huggers Tesla loans. Oh wait, Teslas aren't made in union shops. Never mind.

• Love
Reactions: TheGunner
But the article doesn’t say Biden is just going to wipe out student debt. It’s essentially being restructured for a chunk of folks.
It is far more sinister than that. Biden and the Dems campaigned on ABOLISHING student debt and many who are mired in college debt are awaiting it to happen. Also, Biden has extended student loan relief three times since becoming president. It is a virtual certainty that he will do it again in September to carry the Dems through the midterm elections.

The message has become clear: If we continue to keep a Democrat president in office, student debt payments will be extended into perpetuity.

Remember when Bush the Younger bailed out the savings and loans industry with billions of dollars. If I remember right, they got that money with no strings attached. How Republican of you to support that mess after they squander a lot of that money with nothing benefitting everyday people.

Remember when Bush the Younger bailed out the savings and loans industry with billions of dollars. If I remember right, they got that money with no strings attached. How Republican of you to support that mess after they squander a lot of that money with nothing benefitting everyday people.
can't leave out Barney Frank and another I'm drawing a blank...

The SnL crisis was a totally different situation.

With student loans, we're talking about individuals, who knowingly took out a loan, knowing it had to be repaid, and took that loan out often to get a degree in an area of study that didn't have demand in the job market for that degree or that would pay a salary that would allow them to payback that loan.

If you went to a private school, in my opinion, you're on your own from a debt perspective. There are plenty of colleges that are affordable now, including Purdue. There are also a large number of community colleges that are incredibly affordable.

The SnL crisis was a totally different situation.

With student loans, we're talking about individuals, who knowingly took out a loan, knowing it had to be repaid, and took that loan out often to get a degree in an area of study that didn't have demand in the job market for that degree or that would pay a salary that would allow them to payback that loan.
No, it's a fair comparison. The repubs didn't bat an eye when the savings and loans execs got all that bail out money. Because the very rich got that money, the repubs were quiet as a church mouse. What's wrong with common folks getting a "bail out"?

I don't know if you had student loans or not. However, answer this question. If you did have $80,000 in student loans for example and the government passed a bill to forgive that loan. Would you accept the $80,000 to pay back that loan?

Well, I think back of myself as an 18-yr-old and someone handing me $25,000 to go to college and saying, "If you need more, just let us know." There are many young people who simply lack the maturity to handle money. As far as future debt, they think "I'll worry about that when I get there."
I understand some of that, but did you expect someone to bail you out for your stupidity? Maybe I have always thought about the consequences of debt because of my parents, I just never knew anyone who look for a bailout like “they” do today.

I don't understand why liberals think an 18 year old going to college can't possibly understand how a loan works, but a five year old can decide he needs to cut off his junk.

I don't understand why liberals think an 18 year old going to college can't possibly understand how a loan works, but a five year old can decide he needs to cut off his junk.
And I’m not sure why republicans are so obsessed with the genitals of children but here we are.

If you went to a private school, in my opinion, you're on your own from a debt perspective. There are plenty of colleges that are affordable now, including Purdue. There are also a large number of community colleges that are incredibly affordable.
Community colleges can be very limited in degree selection and sometimes to pursue the career you want, private schools might be the only place you get accepted. Also, some don't do well in the large class size environment and are more likely to thrive in a smaller, more personal setting a private school offers.

For some, sure, community college can be a good choice, but you are not getting an engineering degree from one, so would've been pointless for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT