ADVERTISEMENT

Storming the court

I can't ever remember court storming for beating iu. Ever. Maybe it happened 50 years ago but I can't remember one.
How many times has Purdue beat Indiana when #1? Tonight was actually history in the rivalry. First time the two have ever played where Purdue was #1.

March Madness
Why is that a real test? The refs may or may not allow some things. I expect Purdue to be fine. Is a 16 seed team equal to playing "AT" IU for their superbowl? Purdue took IU's best shot and fell short and with all the turnovers that happened...Purdue shoots FTs like Purdue and they probably win that game. Purdue has to clean up some things like adjusting earlier to what is allowed and be focused to not give the ball away. IU's FT defense was outstanding...the best Purdue has faced this year. Lot of things can happen in the next 5 weeks, but playing outside the Big and worrying is not one of them...

Now I will admit I was part of the court storming when Purdue beat #11 Wisconsin the Baby Boilers freshman year. Hummel blocked a shot at the end and it was on. It was a little different scenario since Purdue struggled at the start of that season but I will give IU fans a pass since we are #1 and have dominated them in recent history

Why is that a real test? The refs may or may not allow some things. I expect Purdue to be fine. Is a 16 seed team equal to playing "AT" IU for their superbowl? Purdue took IU's best shot and fell short and with all the turnovers that happened...Purdue shoots FTs like Purdue and they probably win that game. Purdue has to clean up some things like adjusting earlier to what is allowed and be focused to not give the ball away. IU's FT defense was outstanding...the best Purdue has faced this year. Lot of things can happen in the next 5 weeks, but playing outside the Big and worrying is not one of them...
IU’s “free throw defense” has been wildly, weirdly, incredibly good all year. It’s strange, and all year it’s been true.

I know. Smith has to learn from this game.
Now I will admit I was part of the court storming when Purdue beat #11 Wisconsin the Baby Boilers freshman year. Hummel blocked a shot at the end and it was on. It was a little different scenario since Purdue struggled at the start of that season but I will give IU fans a pass since we are #1 and have dominated them in recent history
2 years in a row though? Remember the Phinisee picture in the crowd?

I know but Purdue is #1 right now and IU fans need something to get hyped about. I say let the fans have their fun. As I said, I’ve done it at basketball and football games and it’s fun. If roles were reversed and they were #1 and basically owned us recently like we have them and we won at Mackey, I’d expect fans to rush the court

6 assists and 1 turnover, but the turnover was him jumping up under the basekt and IU reading the pass to step in front of Mason. He came close to a couple more turnovers, but Purdue managed to get it somehow. Trey has to get quicker hands although he did get one steal. 90% FT shooter and goes 1/4 I think? He stepped aside Galloway a bit and Galloway shot an 6 footer than he made. I need to watch the game again to understand a couple of things.

It would have been nice if he would have dropped a few behind the arc. A shooter is wired to shoot and reluctantly gives it up when not shooting. Braden is a pass first natural, but can score behind the arc. However, when he shoots it is rarely in rhythm since he is looking to pass and then only shoots after he decides he needs to. He takes good shots but wonder in his position if shooting with a buddy or two and his shots taken were off a whistle rather than mentally thinking you are going to shoot like the shooters. Creating that "lack of" advanced thinking of shooting and reacting due to a circumstance (whistle???) "might" help a player like him more than the others. I just know he has range and can shoot it and it would do so much for this team if he drpped about 2-3 a game.

Lot of season left...lot of growth left with these youngsters. Much of the joy is the journey...

One more thing for you guys:

Matt Painter recorded an incredibly gracious tribute to Don Fischer, and in his post-game presser CMP told a couple of stories about TJD the person that were also incredibly gracious, including how Trayce reached out directly to CMP when Swanigan passed away.

A great rivalry with two incredible role models as coaches.

We might have to root for IU Tuesday? No.

That could qualify as a Hobson's Choice, perhaps.

Charles-Laughton-Advise-Consent-Walter-Pidgeon.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: TX4GB
When was the last time Purdue beat Indiana when #1? Sorry but last time Indiana was #1 and went played at Mackey....
You can't be this dense (and the other poster that replied). Purdue is the better program now. That is my point. I really don't care what happened years ago. If that's what you have to hold on to, I feel sorry for you. Congrats on the win. I unfortunately missed the game, I was coaching my kids games this afternoon, but it looks like iu played tough enough to win. Enjoy your victory. Many more games to play this season. Will be fun.

Matt Painter recorded an incredibly gracious tribute to Don Fischer, and in his post-game presser CMP told a couple of stories about TJD the person that were also incredibly gracious, including how Trayce reached out directly to CMP when Swanigan passed away.

Matt Painter went out of his way to laud TJD, and candidly, I was not aware of that.....much respect to Trayce Jackson-Davis for doing that.....and for Matt Painter, for his remarks.

He was very complimentary of TJD as a person and as a playe. He also mentioned the FT defense ;) and Purdue turning it over and not playing physical enough. Said you shouldn't lose when you hold the rebounding advantage and have a player go off like Zach. I just heard it moments ago...

Reactions: Schnelk
Purdue missed seven free throws. Lost by five. Indiana missed three free throws. Won by five. 82-81 if both at 100%. Free throws didn't cost them the game.

Purdue missed seven free throws. Lost by five. Indiana missed three free throws. Won by five. 82-81 if both at 100%. Free throws didn't cost them the game.
There is this thing such as bonus where you do not shoot the second if you miss the first. Purdue had some of those. Also, you hit those and the game is different with 4 minutes to go which ended up close anyway. Purdue has been a good FT shooting team, but not today. Now none of this is to take away the physical, aggressive D on the perimeter IU played or the mental lapses Purdue had in turning it over without the physical play. FTs and turnovers ...and just lack of really physical screens by Purdue all played a role.

edit below
brother-in-law that coached texted me a few minutes into the game , "Isn't Purdue a better FT shooting team than this?" Understanding the improtance of stopping the bleeding and getting some points before things snowball..

Last edited:
You can't be this dense (and the other poster that replied). Purdue is the better program now. That is my point. I really don't care what happened years ago. If that's what you have to hold on to, I feel sorry for you. Congrats on the win. I unfortunately missed the game, I was coaching my kids games this afternoon, but it looks like iu played tough enough to win. Enjoy your victory. Many more games to play this season. Will be fun.
It's not holding onto anything. But I'm not sure the last time Purdue beat a #1 team at Mackey. It's been a decade since Indiana was even #1 and it was a bloodbath at Mackey that year. Point being, has this same situation ever happened in reverse.

Purdue had a great 2nd half, toughest test this year on the road at a tough Assembly Hall. But for those that dont think Purdue is a favorite to make the final four, when was the last undefeated National Champ.

Our baby back court gained experience against a great defense in a hostile enviroment. Lets see now if they can turn the page.

It's not holding onto anything. But I'm not sure the last time Purdue beat a #1 team at Mackey. It's been a decade since Indiana was even #1 and it was a bloodbath at Mackey that year. Point being, has this same situation ever happened in reverse.
IU was #4 at the time, but the only time I recall Purdue students storming the court against IU was in 1992. It was senior night in a year that Purdue was down.

Rutgers' remaining schedule:

@ Indiana
@ Illinois
Nebraska
@ Wisconsin
Michigan
@ Penn State
@ Minnesota
Northwestern
Yea, 2 probably 3 losses left, that’s not easy. At most Purdue loses 5 league games, count out every team with 6 loses now. I think Purdue goes 16-4, that wins the league by probably 2 games.

IU was #4 at the time, but the only time I recall Purdue students storming the court against IU was in 1992. It was senior night in a year that Purdue was down.
Looked it up, Indiana has only been to Mackey twice as #1. In 1975 and 1976. Both very close games. I thought Indiana was #1 in 2013 but they were #3.

6 assists and 1 turnover, but the turnover was him jumping up under the basekt and IU reading the pass to step in front of Mason. He came close to a couple more turnovers, but Purdue managed to get it somehow. Trey has to get quicker hands although he did get one steal. 90% FT shooter and goes 1/4 I think? He stepped aside Galloway a bit and Galloway shot an 6 footer than he made. I need to watch the game again to understand a couple of things.

It would have been nice if he would have dropped a few behind the arc. A shooter is wired to shoot and reluctantly gives it up when not shooting. Braden is a pass first natural, but can score behind the arc. However, when he shoots it is rarely in rhythm since he is looking to pass and then only shoots after he decides he needs to. He takes good shots but wonder in his position if shooting with a buddy or two and his shots taken were off a whistle rather than mentally thinking you are going to shoot like the shooters. Creating that "lack of" advanced thinking of shooting and reacting due to a circumstance (whistle???) "might" help a player like him more than the others. I just know he has range and can shoot it and it would do so much for this team if he drpped about 2-3 a game.

Lot of season left...lot of growth left with these youngsters. Much of the joy is the journey...
I didn't say much during the game, but I mentioned that our freshmen don't seem ready to pull the trigger as soon as the receive a pass. Jenkins is already rising up when he gets the ball, and he makes them. As did Cline and others previous. I agree and wish Smith would see how open he is at times. Loyer isn't open often LOL ... but still ...

Reactions: tjreese

Matt is definitely a role model , who is the other?

Looked it up, Indiana has only been to Mackey twice as #1. In 1975 and 1976. Both very close games. I thought Indiana was #1 in 2013 but they were #3.
Back then there was no sophisticated, statistical analysis in determining #1 from anything. It was entirely subjected to opinions of those in newspapers and some coaches that would share an opinion. That carried into the tourney as well in who played who and where most likley influenced in what would bring the NCAA more money.

Still, I think it was STeve Green that went 10/12 or maybe 12/14 along the baseline for whatever margin that was in 75, which knight thought was his best team ever...that didn't win the crapshoot. Of all the good teams Knight had he always claimed his 75 team was the best and so the best team under knight for whatever reasons didn't win, telling the world that winning is a crapshoot in which a good team for a game or so is needed to win, but what would be considered a great team may not.

In 76 IU beat Purdue twice by an average of 3.5 points I seem to recall. One of those took place at Mackey where Purdue was in a position to put the game away and Buckner (foul or not?) took the ball away from Parkinson in the last minute or so. We are talking a bad call, an off knight, one less turnover???? Very little distinguished the difference between that team and the Purdue team rarely mentioned...other than IU did well in that couple of week stretch against those teams chosen by some reason.

Storming the floor probably has as much to do with Purdue losing the game whether number 1 or not. It was a great accomplishment for IU. However unlike Kentucky that refused to go to THAT PLACE and play but was willing to play elsewhere, Purdue will continue to go to that place and play as they have done for many years.

Reactions: Inspector100
Matt is definitely a role model , who is the other?
Glad you asked.

The guy who was Matt Painter’s basketball idol growing up, and who has been an incredible role model for hundreds and hundreds of basketball players, fundraiser for so many successful charities, and current leader and role model of Indiana Basketball (along with Terri Moren). He grew up dirt poor, got his degree, led with his voice and by example as a player, has been married for 40 years and has extraordinary kids, and succeeded as a head coach and was a world champion assistant coach in the NBA.

The incredibly beloved Mike Woodson.

Reactions: kausrical
I didn't say much during the game, but I mentioned that our freshmen don't seem ready to pull the trigger as soon as the receive a pass. Jenkins is already rising up when he gets the ball, and he makes them. As did Cline and others previous. I agree and wish Smith would see how open he is at times. Loyer isn't open often LOL ... but still ...
Braden is a good shooter...better than we saw or even see in some games. The difference between him and some others is possibly the difference mentally in the others being in a scoring mode...mentally and already in advance of seeing the ball. The mindset is already in place before they see the ball and are more likely to be in rhythm.

Braden is looking for others first and so his mindset is different in that he is not mentally ready to shoot in advance and only does so after others are covered and then quickly changes his mindset and shoots. Or it could be that being young and playing so many minutes...where he goes all over the court shows up after a stretch of games that he is tired and just doesn't feel it to shoot it? His practicing shooting needs more of a reactionary mode where others have skipped past the reactionary mode for shooting and now if covered must be in a reactionary mode to pass...or dribble...

Yes, there were a couple of times that Fletcher passed up shooting the ball. I think the youth really had no idea the game would be as physical or the behavior near the court would be as unwelcoming. Once poise was lost whether shooting FTs or just handling the ball it spreads to others and soon everybody is on a different page...just like last year.

So here is what we know. Purdue could easily be undefeated, but have loss two games it should have won. Both teams that Purdue loss to had length and got into you on the perimeter and both teams had a rim protector. Apparently it takes both and then maybe not so good of a game by Purdue?

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Braden is a good shooter...better than we saw or even see in some games. The difference between him and some others is possibly the difference mentally in the others being in a scoring mode...mentally and already in advance of seeing the ball. The mindset is already in place before they see the ball and are more likely to be in rhythm.

Braden is looking for others first and so his mindset is different in that he is not mentally ready to shoot in advance and only does so after others are covered and then quickly changes his mindset and shoots. Or it could be that being young and playing so many minutes...where he goes all over the court shows up after a stretch of games that he is tired and just doesn't feel it to shoot it? His practicing shooting needs more of a reactionary mode where others have skipped past the reactionary mode for shooting and now if covered must be in a reactionary mode to pass...or dribble...

Yes, there were a couple of times that Fletcher passed up shooting the ball. I think the youth really had no idea the game would be as physical or the behavior near the court would be as unwelcoming. Once poise was lost whether shooting FTs or just handling the ball it spreads to others and soon everybody is on a different page...just like last year.

So here is what we know. Purdue could easily be undefeated, but have loss two games it should have won. Both teams that Purdue loss to had length and got into you on the perimeter and both teams had a rim protector. Apparently it takes both and then maybe not so good of a game by Purdue?
If I am remembering correctly, some of Braden’s misses were effectively assists to Zach. Braden forced TJD to help which affected the shot, but also freed up Zach for an easy put back.

If I am remembering correctly, some of Braden’s misses were effectively assists to Zach. Braden forced TJD to help which affected the shot, but also freed up Zach for an easy put back.
That is true, but the kid is a very capable shooter and so I think the mental approach to shooting for him is much different and the fact his youthful body is playing a LOT of minutes running all over the court to run the offense and then many times setting the D as the other team brings the ball up the court has an effect. We know from experience the youth of freshmen and the fatigue that all experience in their youthful bodys as the season wears on and most of them were not playing the same minutes and not nearly covering the same court distances

Back then there was no sophisticated, statistical analysis in determining #1 from anything. It was entirely subjected to opinions of those in newspapers and some coaches that would share an opinion. That carried into the tourney as well in who played who and where most likley influenced in what would bring the NCAA more money.

Still, I think it was STeve Green that went 10/12 or maybe 12/14 along the baseline for whatever margin that was in 75, which knight thought was his best team ever...that didn't win the crapshoot. Of all the good teams Knight had he always claimed his 75 team was the best and so the best team under knight for whatever reasons didn't win, telling the world that winning is a crapshoot in which a good team for a game or so is needed to win, but what would be considered a great team may not.

In 76 IU beat Purdue twice by an average of 3.5 points I seem to recall. One of those took place at Mackey where Purdue was in a position to put the game away and Buckner (foul or not?) took the ball away from Parkinson in the last minute or so. We are talking a bad call, an off knight, one less turnover???? Very little distinguished the difference between that team and the Purdue team rarely mentioned...other than IU did well in that couple of week stretch against those teams chosen by some reason.

Storming the floor probably has as much to do with Purdue losing the game whether number 1 or not. It was a great accomplishment for IU. However unlike Kentucky that refused to go to THAT PLACE and play but was willing to play elsewhere, Purdue will continue to go to that place and play as they have done for many years.
You want some cheese with that whine? Good lord, you’re an adult?

• Haha
You want some cheese with that whine? Good lord, you’re an adult?
Ugh, tell me where I'm wrong in what was stated, rather than misinterpretating what was said with your emotional take...and then to pretend that stating facts is wrong as an adult. Go on...tell us all...

Yes the 75' team didn't win it all because Scott May got injured.

And... The AP poll was established in 1948... So after 30 years... Yea, there was something to claim who was #1.

Yes the 75' team didn't win it all because Scott May got injured.
Well two points. 1) things occur that may prevent some team from winning the games in the tourney and still perhaps have the best team 2) IU may have won the tourney had May played.

Bottom line, it is a crapshoot that the best team many times doesn't win...see field versus chosen team and your team going against another team needs to have to good games at the right time. Play a week later and the results are all different...

Reactions: HoosierfanJM
Well two points. 1) things occur that may prevent some team from winning the games in the tourney and still perhaps have the best team 2) IU may have won the tourney had May played.

Bottom line, it is a crapshoot that the best team many times doesn't win...see field versus chosen team and your team going against another team needs to have to good games at the right time. Play a week later and the results are all different...
I’d call the tournament a crapshoot too if my team had never won it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT