ADVERTISEMENT

Starting QB

Once a starter has been picked, and notified, & taking 1st team reps, it’s always leaked.
People forget these are college kids, with friends, & there are two dozen or more other students who work with the team who witness practices.
The staff will pick a QB for game prep, (unless he really is going to split time), and the entire team and all the managers will immediately know, & by that evening it will be leaked.
I would expect Brohm to pick a starter in the next 72 hours or else he really doesn’t know who he wants.

Reactions: FirstDownB
I agree. Not sure why at this point there's any benefit to publicly naming a starter. We'll know who the starter is when the game time depth chart comes out or we see him on the field...
Yep. There is zero gain announcing it now other than to appease people outside of the program. We'll know, when it matters, soon enough.

Reactions: Beorik
Does that counter what I am saying? That interview happened at the end of the second scrimmage. I think we all know there was a competition up to that point.

And Brohm said there was no timetable for an announcement. He didn’t say that there isn’t going to be someone taking qb1 snaps.
I guess we are into semantics at this point. Scrimmage #2 is really close to game week in the grand scheme of things. I believe the reason many of the coaches solidified their starter last week is to at least make that last scrimmage a rehearsal of 1's vs. 1's.

Last edited:
I call the Plummer and it will be his job until he gets hurt or throws 2 picks in a game.....

I see Burton and OC coming in every so often to keep focused.

Excited to win our first two and then take it to ND and have a chance to make some National noise....

Boiler Up!
This is something I never wish to see. Pick your best and stick with him until he's causing the team to lose because of him.

This is something I never wish to see. Pick your best and stick with him until he's causing the team to lose because of him.
QBs have different strengths and weaknesses. So do the defenses we will face.

If there is not a big talent difference among our QBs, it could be useful to be ready to mix and match - especially in the pre BTN games.

Which non-dramatic, non-manufactured valuable topics would you prefer to see discussed on this board?

That back-and-forth with the IU fans in the Sampson James thread is a real page turner. :rolleyes:
You may as well stop your argument with him now. It's kind of a waste of time. He will never concede. That's just how he is.

Maybe we don't start a QB at all. That would really screw up the OSU defense!
I love it! Come out with no huddle. AOC, Jack, Burton and Alaimo in a 4-WR set. Payne Durham at QB with Zander at tailback. Just hand it off up the middle, get 3 yards, then huddle up before they realize who stayed in and who left.

I guess we are into semantics at this point. Scrimmage #2 is really close to game week in the grand scheme of things. I believe the reason many of the coaches solidified their starter last week is to at least make that last scrimmage a rehearsal of 1's vs. 1's.

I don’t disagree with you. I think had O’Connell who won the job last year had not gotten hurt and had finished the year 4-2 or 3-3 he would have been the starter this year barring some injury or horrible game(s). But that didn’t happen so we had another year with multiple starters who all played well. So, open competition.

Pretty sure that after the second scrimmage the practices are closed. I am sure there is a starter taking starter reps now. And if there isn’t, Brohm and staff have been doing this a while now. I will trust what he thinks. I don’t believe qb has cost us very many games to this point.
When Sindelar won out the spot over David Blough, that seemed like the same timing (2nd scrimmage).
We all piss and moan that it hasn't happened yet, if recent history has taught us anything, our QB's have had season ending injuries. Yes, some of that is pass protect breakdown, but Sindelar, Blough and possibly Plummer all had injuries while open field running (i.e. get down a step earlier if needed).

Last edited:
Reactions: Beorik
I agree with your concept, pick a main QB, but have the 2nd and 3rd guy come in "knowing" at a certain point, you'll get a series or two to get real action in non-conference. In case of injuries, have the QB's at the ready with some actual experience. When they do come in, use a trick play at some point during their action if they are good at it (I know Special Teams days of Tony Levine coaching had no fear). When they work, it keeps the team fresh, fun and loose.

My goodness. Go clutch your pearls. It's football discussion on a football message board.
No way, this is real! (lmao) In fact, because we disagree, I want to know what’s wrong with you. I also have a journal I’ve kept about things that you’ve said that upset me, and I’ll be referencing said journal until you admit you’re a terrible person.

🙄

it’s worth noting that before I posted again this spring, I saw people doing this to another poster .. who they apparently actually docs’d… because.. they didn’t like his football opinions (wtf?).. While I’m sure simultaneously declaring themselves the good guys…

Last edited:
Reactions: wakeman2626
I call the Plummer and it will be his job until he gets hurt or throws 2 picks in a game.....

I see Burton and OC coming in every so often to keep focused.

Excited to win our first two and then take it to ND and have a chance to make some National noise....

Boiler Up!
Nailed it! Boiler Up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT