ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage.

Morton will start I think. Unless Loyer is ready day one and Painter wants him and Newman out there with Smith's drive and kick abilities. I would also think that Furst will start over Gillis.

I just don't see Gillis starting if we're needing scoring production. Now if the guards play better than some think, that may not be as big of an issue.

I don't see Furst starting at the 4. He's going to be Edey's backup, unless we see a lot of TKR at the 5.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
I just don't see Gillis starting if we're needing scoring production. Now if the guards play better than some think, that may not be as big of an issue.

I don't see Furst starting at the 4. He's going to be Edey's backup, unless we see a lot of TKR at the 5.
Painter seems to like Edey/Gillis combo on the floor at the same time. When Edey is on the floor surround with 3 pt shooters...Gillis is better 3pt shooter than TKR?

Coach said that TKR was the second best offensive player in the post. I can see him coming in more without Edey.

• Love
Reactions: northside100
So our starting 5 is
Smith
Newman
Morton
Gillis (?)
Edey

S
Painter seems to like Edey/Gillis combo on the floor at the same time. When Edey is on the floor surround with 3 pt shooters...Gillis is better 3pt shooter than TKR?

Glad you put that as a question mark, because I love Gillis a lot, but TKR hasn't had the stage yet to show what he can or cannot do.

According to reports, TKR will come off the bench with Furst to be a change of pace tandem to Edey and Gillis.
Yes, I know, but that wasn't what I was responding to. I was responding to the statement is Gillis a better 3 point shooter. Just because you start, doesn't make you a better shooter.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Yes, I know, but that wasn't what I was responding to. I was responding to the statement is Gillis a better 3 point shooter. Just because you start, doesn't make you a better shooter.
If you were to look at your post again, you responded to two posts. The first was about the starting 5 and a question mark next to Gillis.

As far as their shooting ability, I would rank them Gillis, Furst, TKR.

Are we finished insulting each other now? If so, maybe we could just go about being Boilermaker fans and call it good...
Posters need practice too! They need to practice to get into their mid season form of insulting and harassing others! I can’t believe nobody has called somebody. A troll yet!

Last edited:
I’d love to see TKR take over the 3 and Furst take over the 4. And Purdue stop trying to have 4-5 three point shooters. I’d love to see the players who shoot the three best just take more shots, while others learn how to screen out their opponent and allow those 1-3 people take a three with Furst and Edey dominating the paint rather than trying to spread the offense. Do great teams really need the 4 shooting three point shots? How about just leaving the perimeter shots to our. Backcourt?

I’d love to see TKR take over the 3 and Furst take over the 4. And Purdue stop trying to have 4-5 three point shooters. I’d love to see the players who shoot the three best just take more shots, while others learn how to screen out their opponent and allow those 1-3 people take a three with Furst and Edey dominating the paint rather than trying to spread the offense. Do great teams really need the 4 shooting three point shots? How about just leaving the perimeter shots to our. Backcourt?
Somebody is stuck in the 90s

Somebody is stuck in the 90s
Let’s just say the great offensive ideas of this millennium sure haven’t worked! The motion offense has taken us nowhere! Maybe it’s time we went back to an old school offense that does actually work! Maybe using it we could beat that 16th seed team this year rather than copying every other loser 2020 offense! And bring back the true point guard who is also a floor general to distribute the ball and call the plays rather than always looking at the coach

Let’s just say the great offensive ideas of this millennium sure haven’t worked! The motion offense has taken us nowhere! Maybe it’s time we went back to an old school offense that does actually work! Maybe using it we could beat that 16th seed team this year rather than copying every other loser 2020 offense! And bring back the true point guard who is also a floor general to distribute the ball and call the plays rather than always looking at the coach
Maybe it’s time we stopped playing like an AAU team and started playing some old school basketball. Dictate the tempo! Take a good shot. Set screens. Crash the boards. Just win baby!

Maybe it’s time we stopped playing like an AAU team and started playing some old school basketball. Dictate the tempo! Take a good shot. Set screens. Crash the boards. Just win baby!
So giving the ball to your 7'4 center a foot from the basket is not a good shot?....we set screens all over, rebounding is our forte....got any other great ideas?...

So giving the ball to your 7'4 center a foot from the basket is not a good shot?....we set screens all over, rebounding is our forte....got any other great ideas?...
It's a good shot as long as it's not the main focus of your offense. Otherwise painter will continue to lose to scrub teams in the tournament that can easily defend his predictable offense.

Do you have us confused with Kentucky?

Posters need practice too! They need to practice to get into their mid season form of insulting and harassing others! I can’t believe nobody has called somebody. A troll yet!
Just wait till Math-Fanboi shows up. That is rule #3 of his/her handbook. "If another poster has a different opinion than the correct Fanboi opinion, call them a Troll". It's right there in the book!

Coach said that TKR was the second best offensive player in the post. I can see him coming in more without Edey.
Well that front court will be beastly then if TKR is the second best offensive player because Furst and Gillis are no slouches themselves. I don't know what TKR's game is and can't wait to see it. Outside shooter, post up, I have no clue? When Edey is resting could we see TKR, Gillis, Furst at the 3, 4, 5?

Reactions: Schnelk and TX4GB
Well that front court will be beastly then if TKR is the second best offensive player because Furst and Gillis are no slouches themselves. I don't know what TKR's game is and can't wait to see it. Outside shooter, post up, I have no clue? When Edey is resting could we see TKR, Gillis, Furst at the 3, 4, 5?
I would like to see what that trio could do. Think it would be interesting offense, maybe bad on defense.

Reactions: Purdue_BS_90
Those 3 would definitely be an interesting group to have out there. I think they could some do some damage. Im at least hoping we get to see a lot of Kaufman and furst together. I like the idea of an offense with 2 skilled forwards more than our typical offense that consists of throwing it into a center every time down the court. Just wish we had at least one dynamic scoring/passing guard to go pair them. Our lack of guard play is what's really going to hold us back this year.

If you were to look at your post again, you responded to two posts. The first was about the starting 5 and a question mark next to Gillis.

As far as their shooting ability, I would rank them Gillis, Furst, TKR.
That wasn't my post putting the question mark next to Gillis. But how can you rank shooters that haven't played yet at the college level? ( TKR).

Practice doesn't tell everything. Painter said in his latest interview he doesn't run plays for everybody on the team, so not everybody is gonna get equal opportunities.
I said I would rank them that way. That’s an opinion based on reports from practice. It could be wrong? Not a big deal.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

I'm excited to see what TKR can do as well, but there is a major distinction to be made here. Let's not forget that Gillis averaged 45.2% from 3pt land in conference play last year. He averaged just a bit more than 3 attempts per conference game. With that average, he's right there at the top of the league.

Yes, you are technically correct- it is possible that TKR could be a better shooter than Gillis. Let's be real, it's unlikely he will put up those numbers, as few do.

Anyway, if have some sort of defense this year, I think we'll still be able to score well in the post-Ivey era.

I'm excited to see what TKR can do as well, but there is a major distinction to be made here. Let's not forget that Gillis averaged 45.2% from 3pt land in conference play last year. He averaged just a bit more than 3 attempts per conference game. With that average, he's right there at the top of the league.

Yes, you are technically correct- it is possible that TKR could be a better shooter than Gillis. Let's be real, it's unlikely he will put up those numbers, as few do.

Anyway, if have some sort of defense this year, I think we'll still be able to score well in the post-Ivey era.
Gillis went 4/19 in the last 9 games. Just remember he is going into year 4 in the program and Furst and TKR are year two. Year two can be a huge jump.

I love Gillis, but he’s not a shot creator. If TKR can create shots, either for himself or for others, he may eat into some of those minutes, especially with one of our best shot creators from last season playing for the Pistons now.

I'm just about giving guys a chance that haven't had any playing time yet. I was also commenting on posts about Braden SMith and giving him a chance and now (without games being played yet) more and more I am seeing people loved him last Saturday and his toughness. Before Saturday, some people were already saying stuff about him, that we can't possibly know just yet. I am just really excited to get the season started. Sure I will probably be yelling at the tv at times over frustration, but when does that not happen with Indiana teams? lol

Reactions: Zaphod_B
FIFY. Maybe Gillis starts. But you can't leave TKR's scoring ability on the bench very long if you're gonna play Morton at the 3. I just don't see this starting lineup as very productive...
I really have a hard time seeing Morton starting if he is not capable of providing something of relevance at the offensive end, either by scoring (very unlikely), or, distributing (almost as unlikely...due to the lack of being a threat from a scoring perspective). The only reason that he would start potentially would be his ability to defend, and, that may be important I guess if Smith/Newman struggle at that end. It is a sacrifice offensively though, and, it keeps one of your best players on the bench as a result (TKR)...I will be really surprised if Trey does not find his way into the lineup...just too talented of a player not to.

Odds of Purdue playing more than 9 guys is slim, at least once conference play begins. I could see a lineup of:

Smith
Newman
Trey
Gillis
Edey

Then, Jenkins, Loyer, Morton and Furst off the bench, with Gillis/Trey playing at the 4 with that group.

FIFY. Maybe Gillis starts. But you can't leave TKR's scoring ability on the bench very long if you're gonna play Morton at the 3. I just don't see this starting lineup as very productive...
I agree. Where's the scoring, boys? .... when ti come down which one is on the floor, 4 of the five (I HOPE) will be determined by who scores

Reactions: purduepat1969
We have 1 proven scorer on the team. We don’t know at this point who the other scorers will be, but I’m sure Painter will find a way.

Gillis went 4/19 in the last 9 games. Just remember he is going into year 4 in the program and Furst and TKR are year two. Year two can be a huge jump.

So that means he was 24/43 for the rest of the conference games? ~56% is pretty incredible 😁

I think you indirectly made the point I was trying to make. Gillis is going into the fourth year in the program. No matter how you divide his games, he did average a 3pt percentage that puts him somewhere at the top of the league during conference play. Even hoping that TKR can match that on year two, without the game experience in his first year is a pipedream, imo. That being said, I hope he does. I also hope Gillis can be as efficient as he was last year, on both ends of the court.

I'm just about giving guys a chance that haven't had any playing time yet. I was also commenting on posts about Braden SMith and giving him a chance and now (without games being played yet) more and more I am seeing people loved him last Saturday and his toughness. Before Saturday, some people were already saying stuff about him, that we can't possibly know just yet. I am just really excited to get the season started. Sure I will probably be yelling at the tv at times over frustration, but when does that not happen with Indiana teams? lol
I get it. I'm with you on the excitement!

I wished I got to see the scrimmage. I was really hoping to read how Berg looked. Too bad he had to sit out. I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people... in a good way.😁

I get it. I'm with you on the excitement!

I wished I got to see the scrimmage. I was really hoping to read how Berg looked. Too bad he had to sit out. I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people... in a good way.😁
I agree!

I would just like us to figure out how to play our best 5 at the same time for most of game.
You hit it. Having 1 of your top 3 guys constantly on the bench is no way to go. CMP needs to figure out who the 5 best are and devise a game plan that has those 5 on the floor the majority of the minutes. "Depth" is way overrated in the college game. Get your best on the floor and let them play.

Gillis had a nice 3 point percentage. But as is the case many times, we never talk about the results of the players he guarded. We don’t use the +/- Stat to rate a player. How good is a player if they average 9 ppg/4 rebounds if the players they are guarding average 20/10?

I’m not saying Gillis was a terrible defender. What I’m saying is we often are very short focused and only look at our own players and never discuss the strengths of our opposition. What I’m saying is we use the wrong stats to evaluate a player!

I also have to ask why are we rating a 4 based on his 3 point %? Why not rate him on his rebounds and blocks? Is a 4 supposed to be some mega perimeter player? How did that work for Gonzaga last year?

this will be TzkR and Furst’s second year! It would be nice if both were talented enough to force the issue and start! Freshmen and sophomores start for other teams. Would it be a sin if Gillis became a 6th man off the bench?

You hit it. Having 1 of your top 3 guys constantly on the bench is no way to go. CMP needs to figure out who the 5 best are and devise a game plan that has those 5 on the floor the majority of the minutes. "Depth" is way overrated in the college game. Get your best on the floor and let them play.
Completely disagree. Goal should be to have your best unit on the floor as much as possible, which is not the same as your five best players. First unit will all be build around surrounding Edey with the four players that best compliment his game.

As an example, reports this fall are that TKR's biggest strength is is scoring, in particular his post game. That is much less complimentary to Zach's offensive game than having someone who is a great three point shooter, cutter and post entry passer on the floor at the 4.

Cam was 2-4 altogether today and 1-2 from deep

Fletcher had 14 points in just the 3rd period

Didn't see the 3rd period and wasn't keeping a scorebook. Fletcher must have made most of them in the 3rd, cause my grandson commented that he wasn't much of a factor.

I'd like to see the tape, cause I was wondering who was jacking up all the 3's and missing them. I thought it was Cam.

We'll know more tomorrow.

Completely disagree. Goal should be to have your best unit on the floor as much as possible, which is not the same as your five best players. First unit will all be build around surrounding Edey with the four players that best compliment his game.

As an example, reports this fall are that TKR's biggest strength is is scoring, in particular his post game. That is much less complimentary to Zach's offensive game than having someone who is a great three point shooter, cutter and post entry passer on the floor at the 4.
Wisdom

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT