ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage.

I think Zach is a better pro prospect than Kofi, much longer, more skilled, but agree, I have a hard time seeing Zach as a first round draft pick. I suspect Purdue has a shot to get him back for his senior year if they put together a good NIL package.
I mentioned the same in another thread...but, they have had time to iron things out with respect to NIL, and, seemingly have not. I hope that they get it figured out, as, it would be impactful...short-term and long-term.

I did not think that Kofi was much of a pro prospect, and, just don't feel that Zach is either (at least in the NBA). Kofi should have come back to Illinois...Zach, to your point if they can figure out the NIL matter, would likely be best off doing the same.

Morton will start. If Loyer starts it's in place of Brandon. Not sure it matters all that much though, they're all going to play (with the possible exceptions of Heide and Waddell).
It's true that Morton will probably start, but I also like 4 shooters and Zach to start the game and Morton to be the playmaker with the other group and the ability to take his man deep knowing Caleb and Trey can float out. Ethan has the ability to be that player that sees something that needs to be done and fill in the gap with Caleb/Trey floating out. Now if you put Ethan in the first group with Braden and take out fletcher you lose a perimeter shooter on the first team and add a perimeter shooter to the second team where you will not always have a low post. The ability to drive the ball should be better with Caleb/Trey opening up the court.

Ethan is older, versatile, and has experience "early" and so the safe bet is Ethan with the first group, but I think Ethan is a better Ethan with Caleb/Trey. It all starts with me liking Mason with Zach and Trey with Caleb and filing in the spots and that is hopeful if Purdue has a bit more motion rather than sets and Trey and Caleb can interchange spots from time to time...which could be a problem with more sets in learning the 4 and the 5 for each.

Ideally with my first five there would be a few more sets and the second five a bit more motion. All that said, those were my guesses and I admit they are guesses as all are for a month or so

Morton will start. If Loyer starts it's in place of Brandon. Not sure it matters all that much though, they're all going to play (with the possible exceptions of Heide and Waddell).
loyer a 2 and Brandon a 3 is the more common conversation in swapping players. Course if Brandon does gather himself quicker as in the practice scrimmage and handles the ball better...he "could" slide to a 2 not that there is a lot of difference in the 2 and 3 for Purdue

Both 10 points per game as freshmen
That fact is pretty incredible in that, those were two legit candidates, and, guys that both had a bunch of minutes...and chances to score (never mind two really, really talented players).

loyer a 2 and Brandon a 3 is the more common conversation in swapping players. Course if Brandon does gather himself quicker as in the practice scrimmage and handles the ball better...he "could" slide to a 2 not that there is a lot of difference in the 2 and 3 for Purdue
Agree that it does not matter. All reports out of practice are that Morton is starting and it's Newman or Loyer at the other spot. Guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow and next week.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Agree that it does not matter. All reports out of practice are that Morton is starting and it's Newman or Loyer at the other spot. Guess we'll find out for sure tomorrow and next week.
I would be shocked if Newman does not start...anxious to hear about the scrimmage and looking forward to the game next week.

Reactions: Schnelk
Sounds like Newman is not starting tomorrow
I still can't believe this but if this is true, I just don't know what to think about Newman's game.

It's his 4th year in the program. I know basketball wise he's a redshirt Jr but in reality he's a college Senior (he'll be 22 in January).
  • Freshmen year- redshirted on a pretty bad team that only played with 9 scholarship players
  • Sophomore year- impressive start but then faded and minutes went away
  • Jr Year - Had his moments early but then road the bench for most of the B1G schedule
  • Sr year - If he's not starting with this roster then.....
If Newman doesn't start this year and Colvin is as good as advertised, I have to believe the chances of him ever being an impact player at Purdue are pretty small.

The only freshmen to score over 12 points a game in Painter's tenure is Moore at 12.9 ppg. No other freshman has scored more than 12. Not Carsen, not Ivey, not Swanigan, not Edey, not Vince, not Hummel, not Hammons, not anybody.

Can you name another freshman not named Glenn Robinson or Russell Cross who scored 14 points per game as a freshmen for Purdue since let's say 1970?

Walter Jordan

I still can't believe this but if this is true, I just don't know what to think about Newman's game.

It's his 4th year in the program. I know basketball wise he's a redshirt Jr but in reality he's a college Senior (he'll be 22 in January).
  • Freshmen year- redshirted on a pretty bad team that only played with 9 scholarship players
  • Jr Year - Had his moments early but then road the bench for most of the B1G schedule
If Newman doesn't start this year and Colvin is as good as advertised, I have to believe the chances of him ever being an impact player at Purdue are pretty small.
This is in reference to the scrimmage with Cincinnati, right? Maybe Painter wants to see how the youngsters are going to do, so he is not putting the seniors in initially? Only a weak optimistic theory at best. If Newman hasn’t actually cracked the starting line up the (1) some of these new guys are really good, or (2) Newman just isn’t gettin it (can’t run plays or chronically out of position defensively).

:cool:

I'm thinking a month or so away when it gets into the real season. This scrimmage and such may be very different than what we see early in the season. Matt wants to win, but this scrimmage is to find areas of improvment...

Illini were not great with their 3 point shooting yesterday. Goode is injured though.

The idea that he would not be starting at this point is pretty crazy...he actually started at times as a RS Freshman, and, more than held his own.

He did some nice things when he finally got an opportunity at the end of the year last year as well...and, just deserved credit for doing a lot of work and other little things along the way to getting that opportunity.

The kid is talented...he works hard...good teammate...if he is not starting this year, the ship has sailed on his being an impact player, and, it would be really hard to believe or understand.

I know he struggled as a RS Freshman when they took him out of the lineup, on the heels of having redshirted. A lot of self-imposed pressure on top of it at this point.

This is in reference to the scrimmage with Cincinnati, right? Maybe Painter wants to see how the youngsters are going to do, so he is not putting the seniors in initially? Only a weak optimistic theory at best. If Newman hasn’t actually cracked the starting line up the (1) some of these new guys are really good, or (2) Newman just isn’t gettin it (can’t run plays or chronically out of position defensively).

:cool:
I sure hope it's 1, but I thought his lack of playing time last year could have been because of 2.

Illini were not great with their 3 point shooting yesterday. Goode is injured though.

I watched the game. I gave them a D for the first 10 minutes. They didn't look good at all, but started to make shots in the 2nd 10 minutes.

Their half court D was pretty good, but 1st half press was pretty soft. 2nd half hard press was very good and pretty much destroyed QU.

Sky is physically a beast. His handle is very good, but wasn't all that impressive shooting the 3. May have just been an off night.

I thought their bigs looked good. Looked like an upper tier Big team to me.

Reactions: TX4GB
Morton provides nothing at the offensive end, and, is not near good enough defensively to hide that fact.

3abcf29c-f2a9-43ae-8988-cd4f35d9cfc4.gif

Morton is a returning 40% shooter from deep and with the near 3 to 1 A/T ratio he had last season he’ll will be right there with Smith leading the team in assists. Just because he was smart enough to defer to 3 different players who’ve held all American honors + a couple more seniors in the backcourt last year doesn’t mean he provides nothing on the offensive end.

This years team runs through Edey so you want your best entry passers and floor spacers out there with him. Also, with the lack of guards capable of creating their own offense ball movement is going to be key this year. Morton has excelled in all 3 of those areas (ball movement, entry passing, 3pt shooting)

Then to add to your comment you say he isn’t a good enough defender which is also bogus. He’s likely the best defender Purdue has on the wing right now so he provides an enormous value to Purdue this season.

Morton is a returning 40% shooter from deep and with the near 3 to 1 A/T ratio he had last season he’ll will be right there with Smith leading the team in assists. Just because he was smart enough to defer to 3 different players who’ve held all American honors + a couple more seniors in the backcourt last year doesn’t mean he provides nothing on the offensive end.

This years team runs through Edey so you want your best entry passers and floor spacers out there with him. Also, with the lack of guards capable of creating their own offense ball movement is going to be key this year. Morton has excelled in all 3 of those areas (ball movement, entry passing, 3pt shooting)

Then to add to your comment you say he isn’t a good enough defender which is also bogus. He’s likely the best defender Purdue has on the wing right now so he provides an enormous value to Purdue this season.
He was great with the D against Texas last year. He frustrated their top scorer.

He was great with the D against Texas last year. He frustrated their top scorer.

If you go back to his redshirt freshman year - he showed some defensive skills, including close-outs, IMO. Some of this has been mental and lack of confidence in my view - you get stuck, and that's a tough place to be, especially with a coach like Matt Painter. I do think he's emerged from the other side and will be better for it, but I am definitely viewing with a Black and Old Gold prism. We shall see - Mr. Newman will get his opportunity......can't help rooting for him that much more with the tough journey he's had so far and that he chose to stick it out.

I'm not sure why I keep seeing this mantra of "If he doesn't start, he will transfer". Sorry, but really good teams are built with good players, really good players, coming off the bench. I want to see Purdue continue and improve its reputation of being a really good team. I think if you look across the bench at Kansas, North Carolina, or Kentucky, you will find a heck of a lot of very good players riding the bench, but ready to jump in if needed. You don't see them transferring elsewhere very often.
Actually you do! Almost every year you see some 4/5 star leaving Kansas or Duke because they wanted to start. Purdue has gained players from others teams and also lost a few . Every year there
E is quality player looking for greener pastures! Purdue tried to sign several of them last year. If these players want to leave their school to come to Purdue, surely there are Purdue players with the same thoughts of leaving Purdue for what they believe are greener pastures! I guess people here forgot that Eastern, Harms, and Stephens all left Purdue and just assume everybody loves playing here and will never leave! I guess we also forgot Pack was unhappy and left his school . If a player is a top 50 recruit and doesn’t start by his second year, it natural to conclude he will start looking to play elsewhere.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler

Come on...I won't even go in to the 3-pt shooting (although it was nice to see him hit him as he did), but, the A/T ratio is flat ridiculous to point to as "offensive value." You could throw the ball to the 7' guy 8-10 feet away from you 3 out of 4 times successfully likely as well.

He has shown zero ability to actually produce offensively...he has knocked down some shots from deep as you said, but, it is not the strength of his game, and, it is not as if he is someone that is going to light anyone up either...to that point, he is not Sasha...or Cline...or Mathias.

I did not say that he was not a good enough defender....I said that he was not good enough at that end to hide the deficiencies at the other end, and, while he was one of Purdue's better/best defenders...the bar was incredibly low, and, it was misleading as such. I like his length against some opposing PGs, but, if he is guarding another team's 3, that advantage is lost.

Is what it is...I think Purdue is going to need people to score, and, I don't think he is one of them...maybe (hopefully) he will, but, to date, he has not shown the ability to do it.

the A/T ratio is flat ridiculous to point to as "offensive value." You could throw the ball to the 7' guy 8-10 feet away from you 3 out of 4 times successfully likely as well
Thanks for showing the board that you have no idea what you’re talking about. No further replies needed

Thanks for showing the board that you have no idea what you’re talking about. No further replies needed
Yeah, that 3:1 ratio in half the time as the other 2 guys that handled the ball and had 2:1 ratios is incredibly impressive...

Again, throwing the ball to the guy on the block repeatedly who scores at a 60% clip or whatever is not remotely the same as running an offense, driving...distributing, etc.

Like say...I hope that he plays great...for his sake, and, for Purdue's...great kid...but, the idea that he is a force of any sort at the offensive end is simply wrong (as, he has shown no ability at all to get in the lane or to the basket), and, he is not near the shooter as the other guys that I mentioned that played the position.

Yeah, that 3:1 ratio in half the time as the other 2 guys that handled the ball and had 2:1 ratios is incredibly impressive...

Again, throwing the ball to the guy on the block repeatedly who scores at a 60% clip or whatever is not remotely the same as running an offense, driving...distributing, etc.

Like say...I hope that he plays great...for his sake, and, for Purdue's...great kid...but, the idea that he is a force of any sort at the offensive end is simply wrong (as, he has shown no ability at all to get in the lane or to the basket), and, he is not near the shooter as the other guys that I mentioned that played the position.
I'm with you. Every player, on any D1 team should be able to throw an "entry pass" to a behemoth sized human in the paint. It's not some special skill that should be given a lot of consideration when determining playing time.

Reactions: DAG10
I'm with you. Every player, on any D1 team should be able to throw an "entry pass" to a behemoth sized human in the paint. It's not some special skill that should be given a lot of consideration when determining playing time.
Then you don’t listen to Painter talk about entry passes much.

whoa.... you think the success of the entry pass is dependent on the person on the receiving end??

That what you do in your spare time? You save recordings of Matty talking about entry passes, playing solid man to man, and practicing hard? Then replay them while you lay on the couch?

Just asking...
WTF are you taking about?

Also I find it ironic that you come out with that random weak attempt at humor in the same thread you post this
Are we finished insulting each other now? If so, maybe we could just go about being Boilermaker fans and call it good...

Reactions: Poprudy
WTF are you taking about?

Also I find it ironic that you come out with that random weak attempt at humor in the same thread you post this

Maybe you should back off being a condescending prick to others acting like you know it all and I won't make fun of you...

If you are a guard playing major Div-I basketball (and, at a place like Purdue), and, you CAN'T make an entry pass...to a behemoth...then you should not be playing.

Reactions: johnboiler123
whoa.... you think the success of the entry pass is dependent on the person on the receiving end??
it is NOT dependent "only" as you suggested. More often than not, there are some really lazy efforts in getting the ball where it needs to be at the time it needs to get there...and if I had to pick a single problem area that is most common it is the guy with the ball passing the ball in a really bad angle

And apparently you think throwing the ball in the paint to a giant center is some specialized skill and not something every player on the roster should be able to do. Why am I not surprised you would think that?

it is NOT dependent "only" as you suggested. More often than not, there are some really lazy efforts in getting the ball where it needs to be at the time it needs to get there...and if I had to pick a single problem area that is most common it is the guy with the ball passing the ball in a really bad angle
Absolutely! I also find it amazing that some folks think assists created in a low post centric offense are somehow "lesser" assists than those created out of a PNR or drive & dish. Last I checked, the objective of the game is to score more than the other guy. Seems the easiest assists are the best.

So few teams play with an emphasis on post-entry, and, even fewer play it in HS or AAU.

I mean, Edey barely played in HS, much less did they run the offense through him.

At the same time, to act as if it is some lost art is a bit much as well...not many guys that are going to keep Zach from getting position, and, while it is not as genuinely easy as "just throwing it" to him, it is not remarkably difficult to do it either.

My guess is that until Purdue shows an ability to knock down 3s with consistency, more so with the lack of size with many teams, they will see a lot of zone defense.

Reactions: tjreese
Maybe you should back off being a condescending prick to others acting like you know it all and I won't make fun of you...
You’re trying to make fun of me and the best you had was that I listen to videos of painter while laying on my couch? Impressive!

Not my fault we have posters who don’t know entry passing is a skill and one that our coach for nearly 20 years stresses the importance of all the time

Reactions: mathboy
If you are a guard playing major Div-I basketball (and, at a place like Purdue), and, you CAN'T make an entry pass...to a behemoth...then you should not be playing.
One of the reasons that Morton was in the rotation and Newman wasn’t last year

ADVERTISEMENT