ADVERTISEMENT

Sampson James

Why would Purdue be focusing their resources on an already committed recruit anyway??? Sounds like the Boilers are dirty dealing.

Dude I’ve probably been banned here four times so let me make it clear that this is me telling you this and should probably carry some weight.. evaluate your life bro. None of this is that serious

Any chance it has to do with his slipping stats? His yards per game are down this ear and last year he was 7.3 yards per carry and now at 5.9. He has slipped from #3 in Indiana to #8 on maxpreps. These coaches are pretty damn good scouts, maybe osu and brohm know what they are doin (or not doing).

Any chance it has to do with his slipping stats? His yards per game are down this ear and last year he was 7.3 yards per carry and now at 5.9. He has slipped from #3 in Indiana to #8 on maxpreps. These coaches are pretty damn good scouts, maybe osu and brohm know what they are doin (or not doing).

So Brohm has no interest in Sampson James now and the coaches at IU are just not very good talent evaluators by accepting a commitment from James. Is that correct?

When the university and program has a history that is documented and known as the Cradle of Quarterbacks and the position currently holds a ton of NFL records.....yeah, they can make a claim there.

IU has Anthony Thomas and Tevin Coleman.

I could list the QB's for Purdue but I'm guessing you know most of them by now.

Purdue doesn't go clamoring a history at the position of RB because they don't have a history of RB's...and arguably Purdue has a better historical record of RB's than IU does.
Who the hell is Anthony Thomas? Did he play in the same era as Mark Harmon?

So Brohm has no interest in Sampson James now and the coaches at IU are just not very good talent evaluators by accepting a commitment from James. Is that correct?
I believe that OSU would tell James to take a hike due to declining stats. I don't believe Purdue is in a position to do so, and would have happily taken his commitment.

I believe Brohm moved on after he committed to OSU. IU didn't, they offered his brother which brought along a decision to switch. OSU also has been over recruiting that position and maybe felt it wasn't the recruit they recruited. OSU will be fine and IU got a pretty good RB...flat out!

Reactions: IUHDog

I’m sure Brohm is interested in James. We have a nice recruiting class coming in and honestly when I look at classes for us, you guys, Illinois, Minnesota... you really are the appeal of the big ten dollars in the arms race and the impact of BTN. You guys are gonna get recruits that aren’t going to pitt over lower tier big ten teams. We are gonna get recruits that aren’t going to cincy (these schools are just examples). Minnesota is gonna get kids who would never pick Iowa State over any big ten team save Rutgers in their sorry state. Illinois is gonna get kids who aren’t going to Kansas anymore..

You take the four schools and I believe Teddy KGB said it best when it comes to our recruiting:

(“It’s a new day, and you vont be pushed around”)

It’s not 2005. It’s not like if we get x recruit and Illinois gets these guys you guys are left with MAC guys and vice versa...

By the way I’ll add.. James has special burst and if he has rondales head he can really be something. That said, I get a big Selwyn Lymon vibe off of how his decommit/commit went

By the way I’ll add.. James has special burst and if he has rondales head he can really be something. That said, I get a big Selwyn Lymon vibe off of how his decommit/commit went

I remember Lymon but cannot recall what happened with him.

If they believe King Doerue is ready to sign on his official, yes, they are in a position to decline.
So Brohm would turn down a top player in the state. A player ranked 172 nationally and 7th at his position for a player from the state of Texas that is not nationally ranked and is ranked 29 spots below James at his position? You don't really believe that do you?

So Brohm would turn down a top player in the state. A player ranked 172 nationally and 7th at his position for a player from the state of Texas that is not nationally ranked and is ranked 29 spots below James at his position? You don't really believe that do you?

I don't. It was a solid pickup for you guys I won't deny that. How would you handicap your chances with Bell?

I don't. It was a solid pickup for you guys I won't deny that. How would you handicap your chances with Bell?
Currently behind PSU and Purdue in that order. Although having three of the top 6 Indiana players with the chance to add another in Cam Williams sure doesn’t hurt matters. Plus this is where being the east helps. Kids want to play bs osu, Michigan and psu every year. Pretty well guaranteed to be on national tv.

Currently behind PSU and Purdue in that order. Although having three of the top 6 Indiana players with the chance to add another in Cam Williams sure doesn’t hurt matters. Plus this is where being the east helps. Kids want to play bs osu, Michigan and psu every year. Pretty well guaranteed to be on national tv.
I've heard that Williams' grades are a serious issue, to the point where he may not be able to play anywhere.

I should add that I have no first hand knowledge, I just live in NWI so have heard some rumors.

Not sure the playing in the East thing matters that much to kids. Maybe some but I wouldn't think that'd be a huge deciding factor. Sounds like Williams has some academic concerns so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Purdue has a heck of a recruiter in Karlaftis and the idea of pairing Bell with Rondale Moore has to be appealing.

Not sure the playing in the East thing matters that much to kids. Maybe some but I wouldn't think that'd be a huge deciding factor. Sounds like Williams has some academic concerns so it'll be interesting to see what happens with him. Purdue has a heck of a recruiter in Karlaftis and the idea of pairing Bell with Rondale Moore has to be appealing.
Fortunately we do to in Larry Tracy. I just think in the end the idea of having a chance to play in the cfb playoff and that atmosphere might help penn state win out.

Fortunately we do to in Larry Tracy. I just think in the end the idea of having a chance to play in the cfb playoff and that atmosphere might help penn state win out.

Hopefully not. Hope the distance to home matters to him.

As far as Bell, I have to believe there are a lot of pluses that Purdue offers. But, PSU also offers similar opportunities. We have to realize when competing for the best athletes, we will compete against the best teams. I'd love to add a player like Bell, but can also understand why he'd be interested in PSU.

I would be upset if we lost him to minn or Illinois.

As far as James, Brohm previously indicated he wanted to add another RB to this class. My hope is that Rb's name is Robinson. The question is does Brohm wait for Robinson's decision or does he move on?

I don’t know, but do know that we only have 4-5 spots left and are chasing several key players for it including two RBs. I am not sure Brohm put a lot of capital into going after someone who was already a big ten commit (which by the way is against big ten policy) when he is actively recruiting two other very good RBs that would be the most talented backs on the roster the day they showed up and probably the most talented we have had since Mostert.

I've heard that Williams' grades are a serious issue, to the point where he may not be able to play anywhere.

I should add that I have no first hand knowledge, I just live in NWI so have heard some rumors.
This has been said by a few folks including GBI - Brian. Brohm would love to get this guy - if he’s eligible. We’ve been on him as long as anyone. Longer than IU for sure.

Who is the third? The rankings mean very little at this time. The needle has moved very little since end of jr season a lot happens in senior year. For example Britt is still in top 7 in almost all rankings and blew out his knee several weeks ago and will be out a long time well into his time it Iowa. James stats have dropped singinicantly enough that osu has recruited other backs, I am doubtful he is actually top 3 in Indiana at the end of the season. I also believe there is a steep drop off after top two of GK and DB.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
Why has James seemingly been dumped by OSU? They have cooled on him. James isn’t suddenly ditching OSU for IU because he’s feeling the love from IU and IU is an emerging power under their glorified HS coach. OSU has their eyes on a better player. I do think that Brohm might take James if he actually showed interest on Purdue but he’s never given the vibe that he seriously wants to play for Purdue.

David Bell has had a more dominant SR season than James has so far.

I happen to know the middle linebacker from a team that played Avon earlier this year. I asked him about James after the game. I asked, "Is he Ohio State good." His response, "No. He was actually kind of soft. There was one play early in the first quarter where I was one on one with him on a sweep and I thought for sure I was going to get trucked. I was able to tackle him with ease - he went down really easy. The rest of the game was the same." FWIW - the linebacker in question is a good player but probably not D1...at least not P5 D1.

I remember Lymon but cannot recall what happened with him.

Just OSU, PSU didn’t fight that hard for him and we thought we “caught us a big one”.. he committed the night our dream 04 season was interrupted by Wisconsin.

He was 6’4” 215-220 with a 4.4 forty. Was academically ineligible freshman year. Came in sophomore year and set the all time record for receiving yards against Notre Dame with 238 yards at their place. On one play he caught a deep pass right before halftime. Zbikowski loaded up and hit him right in the chest. Lymon just stood there unfazed as zbikowski rolled off him. Then he took off and left the ND defense behind him.

In the following 12 months he was hit in the eye with a paint gun pellet, stabbed in a barfight, charged with two DUIs I believe and kicked off the team. He ended up on I think the dolphins practice squad once and was done.

Will James be that, who knows... but that’s what that quick flip reminded me of

Why has James seemingly been dumped by OSU? They have cooled on him. James isn’t suddenly ditching OSU for IU because he’s feeling the love from IU and IU is an emerging power under their glorified HS coach. OSU has their eyes on a better player. I do think that Brohm might take James if he actually showed interest on Purdue but he’s never given the vibe that he seriously wants to play for Purdue.

David Bell has had a more dominant SR season than James has so far.
Not sure where you get your info. It is being reported the osu staff didn’t see this coming and weren’t happy about it. They were looking forward to Sampson joining the team.

I happen to know the middle linebacker from a team that played Avon earlier this year. I asked him about James after the game. I asked, "Is he Ohio State good." His response, "No. He was actually kind of soft. There was one play early in the first quarter where I was one on one with him on a sweep and I thought for sure I was going to get trucked. I was able to tackle him with ease - he went down really easy. The rest of the game was the same." FWIW - the linebacker in question is a good player but probably not D1...at least not P5 D1.
Not saying this kid didn’t say this but this goes against everything every analyst that gets paid for this type of stuff says. Trieu and helmholdt both say he is a bruising running back with the speed to run away from people.

Who is the third? The rankings mean very little at this time. The needle has moved very little since end of jr season a lot happens in senior year. For example Britt is still in top 7 in almost all rankings and blew out his knee several weeks ago and will be out a long time well into his time it Iowa. James stats have dropped singinicantly enough that osu has recruited other backs, I am doubtful he is actually top 3 in Indiana at the end of the season. I also believe there is a steep drop off after top two of GK and DB.
Beau Robbins, Larry Tracy and now James.

Beau Robbins, Larry Tracy and now James.
Our class is still better now and will finish better too. Karlaftis >> Robbins. Hunter >> Robbins. Grant >> Tracy.

IU has had a tendency of losing higher-ranked players before signing day.
Congratulations. It’s not signing day yet. Also which class has the higher star rating to date? Quantity doesn’t always outclass quality.

Our class is still better now and will finish better too. Karlaftis >> Robbins. Hunter >> Robbins. Grant >> Tracy.

IU has had a tendency of losing higher-ranked players before signing day.
Likely related to their well known end of season "success".

Reactions: SDBoiler1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT