ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals 150 out

Breaking through as what? playing time? Sure. Starter? I dont see it.
My guess that has a lot to do with how KS plays. If he slumps again (which I don't expect) like he did this past season and Cline can carry over his shooting prowess to the college game, then I could see at some point in the season Cline getting a start. But, a lot of things would need to fall in to place IMO.

My guess that has a lot to do with how KS plays. If he slumps again (which I don't expect) like he did this past season and Cline can carry over his shooting prowess to the college game, then I could see at some point in the season Cline getting a start. But, a lot of things would need to fall in to place IMO.

I dont think either starts over RD or Mathias. And no, i dont see Mathias playing point. Painter is chasing a 5th year for a reason.

Either way, lets hope CMP lands a solid 5th year PG and our shooters light it up this year. Lot's of ability on this team if that happens.

I dont think either starts over RD or Mathias. And no, i dont see Mathias playing point. Painter is chasing a 5th year for a reason.
I would bet Kendall if healthy will start over Mathias. If nothing else he's taller and longer and causes bigger matchup problems for opposing teams. But the difference between the two is slight.

I would bet Kendall if healthy will start over Mathias. If nothing else he's taller and longer and causes bigger matchup problems for opposing teams. But the difference between the two is slight.

He was so poor at passing into the post i dont see him supplanting Mathias.

When was this? I could have sworn he said that about Mathias.
When he was discussing his injury and passing into the post in general. KS has an advantage since he can see over most of the guys defending him. I love to watch Mathias pass, he's great, but Painter still insisted that Kendall was the best at it. Might have something to do with the fact he was doing it one handed when Dakota had two good hands. Either way, the competition and mix and match among the 1 through 3 spots is going to be fun to watch. Reading all the people bitching about playing this guy or that guy won't be though.

Thats fair. I saw KS make a lot of lazy passes into the post so i dont exactly buy Painter's praise on that one. You could say it was because he was playing injured, but it looked more like a lapse in focus.

Thats fair. I saw KS make a lot of lazy passes into the post so i dont exactly buy Painter's praise on that one. You could say it was because he was playing injured, but it looked more like a lapse in focus.

I played with a broken finger and a dislocated one. I would much rather play with the first than the second. I do think that KS has had some periods where he isn't focused, but when he's on, he's really a very nice player. Like I said, having those two and hopefully an improved Basil will give Painter lots of options.

Yeah, the NBA is bereft of 6'5"-6'7" players who can play defense and hit from long range. What was I thinking? You IU fans act as if our players who have 2-3 years left can't continue to progress.

They think that every team has a coach like their own.

I'm so tired of people ragging on Stephens' passing. He did not have excessive turnovers this past year. I think people get it stuck into their head he makes bad passes because since he does play the perimeter, the bad passes/mistakes he makes often lead to fast breaks (which are easy to remember). Can he curb it some? Sure.

Kendall had 41 turnovers on the season, which was 6th on the team. Raphael had 61. Raphael had more issues with turnovers, yet all we talk about is Kendall.

And yes, Kendall can feed the post well.

I'm so tired of people ragging on Stephens' passing. He did not have excessive turnovers this past year. I think people get it stuck into their head he makes bad passes because since he does play the perimeter, the bad passes/mistakes he makes often lead to fast breaks (which are easy to remember). Can he curb it some? Sure.

Kendall had 41 turnovers on the season, which was 6th on the team. Raphael had 61. Raphael had more issues with turnovers, yet all we talk about is Kendall.

I would be interested in seeing the team minutes per turnover since I am not sure it's apples to apples since I think RD averaged about 9 more minutes a game. Also he was counted on a lot to drive to the basket and make the big shots and have the ball in critical situations while KS spent a lot of time running around trying to get open and receive the pass. I am not arguing it's probably not as bad as we remember. But there are bad turnovers and really bad turnovers and while he only had 41 a lot were really bad. And things you just can't do

I would be interested in seeing the team minutes per turnover since I am not sure it's apples to apples since I think RD averaged about 9 more minutes a game. Also he was counted on a lot to drive to the basket and make the big shots and have the ball in critical situations while KS spent a lot of time running around trying to get open and receive the pass. I am not arguing it's probably not as bad as we remember. But there are bad turnovers and really bad turnovers and while he only had 41 a lot were really bad. And things you just can't do
Ray made some lazy and telegraphed passes too. They all did.

Indeed. I wasn't trying to imply otherwise

But that's the point. Of course Davis had more "hands on the ball" minutes, but he also had some really bad turnovers. But it didn't become a "storyline" on this forum.

The overall point I am trying to make is that Stephens didn't have some "abnormal" amount of turnovers.

In an attempt to compare Stephens with some other Big Ten players, here's the turnovers per minutes...

Kendall Stephens = 1 TO per 18.5 minutes

Mark Loving (Ohio State) = 1 TO per 20.5 minutes

Derrick Walton, Jr. (Michigan) = 1 TO per 18 minutes

Denzel Valentine (Michigan State) = 1 TO per 14 minutes

Joey King (Minnesota) = 1 TO per 20 minutes

One thing to keep in mind is that Purdue wasn't a great team with turnovers. Definitely improved as the season progressed, but hardly good. So I am certainly not saying that Stephens, along with everyone else, are fine with turnovers. This is one team statistic I'd like to see improved is turnovers (more so just not starting off super high - a lot of that had to do with Hammons/Haas).

That being said, I don't think Kendall's statistics are anything alarming or extremely high. Certainly could be improved...but to act like it's a "problem" is a bit extreme.

Why are you comparing have to random people on other teams instead of his teammates which is what the board is referencing. That's why I had asked. How does it actually compare to the rest of the team and in context. I be he's up there with AJ and Isaac who were infuriating everytime they put the ball on the floor.

First off, the poster I was replying to said not all players have the same role on the team, which I agree. Obviously posting up is different than playing on the perimeter. A PG handles the ball more than a traditional shooting guard. No need to get fiesty.

Secondly, your "guess" is not remotely true.

Most turnovers per minute:

Haas - 1 per 9.2 minutes
Scott - 1 per 9.8 minutes
Hammons - 1 per 11.3 minutes
Davis - 1 per 16.3 minutes
Edwards - 1 per 17.8 minutes
Stephens - 1 per 18.5 minutes
Octeus - 1 per 19.5 minutes
PJ Thompson - 1 per 21.4 minutes
Mathias - 1 per 25.6 minutes
Smotherman - 1 per 25.8 minutes

I think it's because the opposing teams almost always score off of Stephens' turnovers that stay in play. I've noticed that. It's almost freakish how often an opposing team scores off of those types of turnovers made by Stephens. It would be interesting to see his career stats or the percentage for those occurrences. One of the reasons it probably happens at such a frequent rate is because Stephens never gets back and stops them on those breakaways.

First off, the poster I was replying to said not all players have the same role on the team, which I agree. Obviously posting up is different than playing on the perimeter. A PG handles the ball more than a traditional shooting guard. No need to get fiesty.

Secondly, your "guess" is not remotely true.

Most turnovers per minute:

Haas - 1 per 9.2 minutes
Scott - 1 per 9.8 minutes
Hammons - 1 per 11.3 minutes
Davis - 1 per 16.3 minutes
Edwards - 1 per 17.8 minutes
Stephens - 1 per 18.5 minutes
Octeus - 1 per 19.5 minutes

Another stat to look at is A/TO ratio. Stephens' ratio of 1.4 was much better than the team average of 1.1.

I also agree with Painter that Stephens was the best on the team at feeding the post. I'm not sure why he never got credit for all of his entry passes.

I think his problem is that fans remember his slump after he re-injured his hand. He has some bad plays in that stretch.

I think it's because the opposing teams almost always score off of Stephens' turnovers that stay in play. I've noticed that. It's almost freakish how often an opposing team scores off of those types of turnovers made by Stephens. It would be interesting to see his career stats or the percentage for those occurrences. One of the reasons it probably happens at such a frequent rate is because Stephens never gets back and stops them on those breakaways.

But again, to say "Stephens never gets back and stops them on those breakaways" makes it sounds like he's lazy. When there's a picked off pass, there's a reason they almost always result in fast break points, you aren't in a defensive positions and in many cases, the passer (especially on the wing going to the top of the key) is in no position to catch them.

Those are some great numbers....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT