ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

No, it was Bowen that took money and was outed by the FBI investigation. That was what caused their coach to be fired. Bowen was teammeates with Eastern. There were a lot of people that were upset Painter didn't land Bowen when they had his teammate, Eastern as a commit.

One of the other players outed in the FBI investigation was Little, who is higher ranked than Romeo, and was offered money by Archie's brother. Now is currently committed to North Carolina.
Forgot about Bowen since he never played there. You definitely still implied Painter backed off Romeo due to a payment request. Do you stand by that?

I wanted Bowen. I really wanted an elite scoring/shooting SF rather than a 6'4 guard trying to fill that spot. I still want an elite SF !

Eastern's mother said in a couple of posts that her son would not have committed to Purdue if Bowen also committed. She also inferred some other things about Bowen that also proved to be true. Did their family ever give the money back? or did they just keep it and transferred to another school? She was very quiet about Tyger other than saying she knew who he was. I guess by the current NBA rules, Bowen is eligible to enter the draft.

I wanted Bowen. I really wanted an elite scoring/shooting SF rather than a 6'4 guard trying to fill that spot. I still want an elite SF !

Eastern's mother said in a couple of posts that her son would not have committed to Purdue if Bowen also committed. She also inferred some other things about Bowen that also proved to be true. Did their family ever give the money back? or did they just keep it and transferred to another school? She was very quiet about Tyger other than saying she knew who he was. I guess by the current NBA rules, Bowen is eligible to enter the draft.
Plz don’t put words in my mouth I only said my son and Bowen were teammates on a AAU team. Other than than that was it I’m done on this site but plz do not go saying things I did not say. Tyger saw him at a game when I went to a friend of mine son played tyger team and spoke to his mom and she told me only that tyger had a good time on his official visit. I have no knowledge of what went on with Bowen and his family and I never said my son would not have committed to purdue had he come here incorrect statements. Leave my name out of this conversation plz.

Reactions: Purdue11 and Heller
Sadly, this is correct. I read the article as well. I swear to God, sometimes you have to wonder if coaches are just complete idiots. Why even say it?! Even if it's true, don't tell the whole world that several of your colleagues don't think Purdue is a job worth taking. Just stupid. You're unwittingly bad-mouthing your own program/school.

Why wouldn’t you say it if it’s true? It doesn’t mean that Purdue isn’t a great option for recruits, just a tough spot for coaches.

IU is a tougher place to win in FB but at least they have low expectations. The college coaching community turned its back on Purdue when they fired Danny Hope the year he went to his second straight bowl game. The comment from Brohm was self promoting for certain, but in my mind he’s earned that right after taking a chance on Purdue and delivering the results he did last year.

Why can PU only land 1 5* in 20 years? Why can Painter only land 3 top 50 players in 13 years?

One of my favorite stats of the Knight era at IU is that, for all the success his teams had — 11 conference championships, 3 NCs, etc. — he only had one player to ever make an NBA All-Star game (Isiah). Compare that to, say, Dean Smith.

My point is that Matt Painter has already been very successful in his tenure at Purdue despite not recruiting like conference stalwarts like MSU, OSU, UM, etal. Look at his records....they compare well.

I wouldn’t sweat it. You’re in good hands. But for a couple ill-timed key injuries, I bet he’d already have at least a FF, if not more.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
Do you understand how bad the league was? 4 NCAA bids... yet, PU who was #3 at one time could not win the conference. Explain that one please.

The league was not bad, it was shallow. The four teams at the top could compete with anyone.

Reactions: Purdue85
One of my favorite stats of the Knight era at IU is that, for all the success his teams had — 11 conference championships, 3 NCs, etc. — he only had one player to ever make an NBA All-Star game (Isiah). Compare that to, say, Dean Smith.

My point is that Matt Painter has already been very successful in his tenure at Purdue despite not recruiting like conference stalwarts like MSU, OSU, UM, etal. Look at his records....they compare well.

I wouldn’t sweat it. You’re in good hands. But for a couple ill-timed key injuries, I bet he’d already have at least a FF, if not more.
Not sure I would say Painter’s record is comparable to MSU, UM and OSU. All three have been to the final four. UM has played in the championship twice, OSU once. MSU two or three???

If Painter would up the recruiting there would be no need to use the injury excuse.

Hey, another fellow IU fan here. I read this forum from time to time to keep up on Purdue bball news, as I'd like to be in the know about what our rival team is doing. However, you really need to shut up and stop embarrassing other Indiana fans who are sane and think logically.

I don't like Purdue either, but I'm not over here declaring up and down that Archie is God's gift to coaching and that we will momentarily string together 3 consecutive National Titles. I do love Archie as a coach, think he has a bright future and had a tough first season trying to get Crean's players to buy in and change their mindset. But he still has a lot of proving to do before I proclaim him a Hall of Famer.

I'm also sure that you know absolutely nothing about Archie's approach to recruiting and whether he is trashing other programs or not. So unless you've seen that first hand, don't say it. I would like to think that he is selling recruits on what IU can offer them, how they fit in the system and what the staff can do to prepare them for the next level. If you do that well enough, you don't need to trash other programs.

I get it, you're excited about IU's future with Archie, so am I, but express it with a little more tact and don't act like such a loser. That just enforces what Purdue fans already think about our fanbase. You don't make us look good, and I wish people like you would just root for another team or at least stop posting in public while being associated with our team, it's a bad look.

To all the Purdue fans, I'm excited that we will be playing each other twice a year from here on out, should be a lot of fun. I'm excited about the future and I'm sure you all are too, you've had some very successful seasons recently. I selfishly hope that IU can kick Purdue's butt this season, but I'm sure it will be closer than I'd like, it's always a tough game. Good luck to you all, it's good for basketball and our state when both Indiana and Purdue are good.
Could you be anymore of a dbag? This is a message board that is mostly for fun. If you take everything on here seriously then you have serious issues.

Reactions: Purdue11
The league was not bad, it was shallow. The four teams at the top could compete with anyone.
The league was bad overall (6th best conf) but you are correct, top heavy with MSU, PU and then UM turned it on late in the season. OSU had a good conf run too. Would any of the top BIG teams finish in top 3 of the ACC? I’m not sure any BIG teams would with an ACC schedule.

Not sure I would say Painter’s record is comparable to MSU, UM and OSU. All three have been to the final four. UM has played in the championship twice, OSU once. MSU two or three???

If Painter would up the recruiting there would be no need to use the injury excuse.

I wasn’t talking about the NCAA tourney. I was talking about the regular season. MP’s records at Purdue compare well with any program in the conference over that span.

Too many fans these days put too much value on (single-elimination) tourney success and too little on such things as conference championships.

I’m not saying that Painter has been a stellar recruiter. But I am saying that his teams have performed at a pretty consistently high-level despite a lack of 5-stars.

Jay Wright is proving, IMO, that great coaching is more valuable than landing loads of Burger All-Americans. And I think Painter qualifies and his records support that.

Also, pointing to key injuries like Hummel and Haas isn’t an “excuse” at all. Those (particularly the former) almost certainly cost Purdue some deeper tourney runs.

I wasn’t talking about the NCAA tourney. I was talking about the regular season. MP’s records at Purdue compare well with any program in the conference over that span.

Too many fans these days put too much value on (single-elimination) tourney success and too little on such things as conference championships.

I’m not saying that Painter has been a stellar recruiter. But I am saying that his teams have performed at a pretty consistently high-level despite a lack of 5-stars.

Jay Wright is proving, IMO, that great coaching is more valuable than landing loads of Burger All-Americans. And I think Painter qualifies and his records support that.

Also, pointing to key injuries like Hummel and Haas isn’t an “excuse” at all. Those (particularly the former) almost certainly cost Purdue some deeper tourney runs.
Villanova has three 5* in the last 5 classes. One of those 5* was NPOY. They aren't exactly hurting for talent.

Reactions: SKYDOG

Thanks for your posts.Conference championships don't seem to mean much to many fans any more.

Villanova has three 5* in the last 5 classes. One of those 5* was NPOY. They aren't exactly hurting for talent.

Well, I get that. But compare their classes to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and UNC. Maybe even MSU.

Kentucky has probably averaged at least 3 5* per class in the Calipari era. And Wright is outperforming them in the tourney.

You guys have a great coach. Feel blessed. We’re on our 4th since Knight’s firing.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Well, I get that. But compare their classes to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and UNC. Maybe even MSU.

Kentucky has probably averaged at least 3 5* per class in the Calipari era. And Wright is outperforming them in the tourney.

You guys have a great coach. Feel blessed. We’re on our 4th since Knight’s firing.
Agreed that you don't need all one and done like UK and duke, but i think the best recipe is to sprinkle 5* players in with 4 year players.

Agreed that you don't need all one and done like UK and duke, but i think the best recipe is to sprinkle 5* players in with 4 year players.

I don’t doubt there’s something to that. But there are also plenty of examples of teams that have prospered more on coaching than recruiting.

Wichita State is another one. Butler. Xavier. How many 5* recruits have those teams had? Not many, to my knowledge.

Jay Wright has perfected the talent recipe for modern day college basketball.
-Forget the one-and-dones.
-Sign approx. one top 25-75 ready to contribute, multi-year player every year
-Add a couple high ceiling guys who won't contribute much right away, but likely one will end up exceeding his ranking
-Fill in class with top 150 developmental guys who are willing to work hard, develop, redshirt if necessary.

We're a watered down version, missing the second ingredient and heavy on the third and fourth. No bad, but not Villanova.

Jay Wright has perfected the talent recipe for modern day college basketball.
-Forget the one-and-dones.
-Sign approx. one top 25-75 ready to contribute, multi-year player every year
-Add a couple high ceiling guys who won't contribute much right away, but likely one will end up exceeding his ranking
-Fill in class with top 150 developmental guys who are willing to work hard, develop, redshirt if necessary.

We're a watered down version, missing the second ingredient and heavy on the third and fourth. No bad, but not Villanova.
It's a great formula, and one I think we should follow.

You forgot a key ingredient. Don't let your best player get injured just before the NCAA Tournament.

Lighten up, that was friendly trash talking. Just like math came up with a very clever response that I enjoyed and did not become offended. I fully expect a dusted banner reference. If you read all my posts, you would know I actually think highly of Painter. Rather, I post simple facts and some posters take offense to it. I read countless posts say AM can’t coach, referencing his record in year 1. However, Painter had a worse record and I’m called a dumbass. Huh? I did not judge Painter after 1 year. If I did that & based on his 1st year, he’s a terrible coach... which is complete BS.

Bullsh*t. there's nothing to "lighten up". You were trash talking then playing like you weren't.

Don't be a dumb@ss, you won't be treated like you're one, then you won't have to be condescending

Bullsh*t. there's nothing to "lighten up". You were trash talking then playing like you weren't.

Don't be a dumb@ss, you won't be treated like you're one, then you won't have to be condescending

Funny, I did not throw any insults or talk trash unless I was responding to a reply. Sorry that blind hate gets in your way. If you recall, you called me a dumbass first. Good for you, you come by throw shade in your first reply to me. Then I kindly leave and you come back for day 2. If you want me to begin insulting you like you insulted me... but I prefer to talk about hoops, not insult people. ChoiceBeef had no problem conversing with me. Put me on ignore if you are that sensitive.

Okay, you call a spade a spade (whatever that is, and whatever that means).

Now what?
You've never heard that before? Now? Idk? Why aren't you biting the heads off the homers making up fake excuses? Why not ask them 'Now what'?

You've never heard that before? Now? Idk? Why aren't you biting the heads off the homers making up fake excuses? Why not ask them 'Now what'?

Of course I've heard that before. But what does it mean with this context?

And, what the h*ll is a "homer"?

I'm asking YOU 'now what', because you're the one pressing this issue, insulting other fans.

It's not really different than the self-righteous who said fans were "accepting mediocrity" with prior FB coaches. Okay, so you have a solution?

I mean, other than calling names, like "homer".

Nobody is "biting your head off", or any such stupidity. You made a comment, now I'm looking for solutions.

If all you're doing is "venting" on an internet forum, I get that. But you carried it further than venting when you implied (or left readers to infer) that they were "homers", therefore part of the problem (my words).

I'm genuinely interested in your solution(s), if you have any.

Funny, I did not throw any insults or talk trash unless I was responding to a reply. Sorry that blind hate gets in your way. If you recall, you called me a dumbass first. Good for you, you come by throw shade in your first reply to me. Then I kindly leave and you come back for day 2. If you want me to begin insulting you like you insulted me... but I prefer to talk about hoops, not insult people. ChoiceBeef had no problem conversing with me. Put me on ignore if you are that sensitive.

It's not funny, you haven't been funny, you've just been an ass on this forum. That's not an insult, it's an observation. Don't like it? Don't go to another team's forum acting like you are. Simple as that.

What's more, I don't put people on ignore. That's for the thin-skinned. However, I do "calls 'em as I sees 'em."

It's not funny, you haven't been funny, you've just been an ass on this forum. That's not an insult, it's an observation. Don't like it? Don't go to another team's forum acting like you are. Simple as that.

What's more, I don't put people on ignore. That's for the thin-skinned. However, I do "calls 'em as I sees 'em."

You make PU fans look bad, no insults come from me and you continue in a rant from last night with multiple insults in multiple post, yet I’ve not said 1 insult. Talk about being hypocritical. Quit being bitter and angry, and let it go. You obviously do not want to converse, rather shake your iron fist to control the narratives on this board. To me, that is hilarious and definitely funny.

You make PU fans look bad, no insults come from me and you continue in a rant from last night with multiple insults in multiple post, yet I’ve not said 1 insult. Talk about being hypocritical. Quit being bitter and angry, and let it go. You obviously do not want to converse, rather shake your iron fist to control the narratives on this board. To me, that is hilarious and definitely funny.

Okay. that matters because I'm deeply concerned about how "Purdue fans" look to you.

right.

You've been an ass. you can try to make this about me, but it doesn't work.

Okay. that matters because I'm deeply concerned about how "Purdue fans" look to you.

right.

You've been an ass. you can try to make this about me, but it doesn't work.
Only an ass when poked... too bad that’s hard for you to wrap your tiny mind around.

Only an ass when poked... too bad that’s hard for you to wrap your tiny mind around.

you've called a response a "dumb comment", followed by, "Don’t forget to grab you lunchbox when you return from recess."

You've called people, "little angry PU guy."

Now you bring out the "tiny mind" insult.

You're an @sshole. You're fooling no one.

Plz don’t put words in my mouth I only said my son and Bowen were teammates on a AAU team. Other than than that was it I’m done on this site but plz do not go saying things I did not say. Tyger saw him at a game when I went to a friend of mine son played tyger team and spoke to his mom and she told me only that tyger had a good time on his official visit. I have no knowledge of what went on with Bowen and his family and I never said my son would not have committed to purdue had he come here incorrect statements. Leave my name out of this conversation plz.
I read come on the forums everyday to see if new stuff pop up with Purdue but o have to agree with Treed here. Never saw her say that

you've called a response a "dumb comment", followed by, "Don’t forget to grab you lunchbox when you return from recess."

You've called people, "little angry PU guy."

Now you bring out the "tiny mind" insult.

You're an @sshole. You're fooling no one.

Very selective reading... how about the post where I said I talk trash to only BoilerSteel (lunchbox comment) and anyone who comes at me. Funny how you missed that post. When posters act like Mathboy or ChoiceBeef, I will communicate like a human being. (Look at convo with those posters). The idiot fan that you are trying to label me as will come here and post nonsense to start. My first post stated only facts and immediately specific posters came at me. If you notice, as soon as ChoiceBeef realized I had legit questions and not a troll, we had a pretty cool convo. As soon as a poster like PopRudy or BoilerSteel goes straight to the insults with not understanding why I popped off, that’s why this place has such a limited perspective. Even though my original post had no opinion based details, some see “Hoo” & immediately go into attack mode. Funny how I adhere to your request last night with a nice response, then you had to rehash details that could easily be understood if you had an open mind and read every post.

Very selective reading... how about the post where I said I talk trash to only BoilerSteel (lunchbox comment) and anyone who comes at me. Funny how you missed that post. When posters act like Mathboy or ChoiceBeef, I will communicate like a human being. (Look at convo with those posters). The idiot fan that you are trying to label me as will come here and post nonsense to start. My first post stated only facts and immediately specific posters came at me. If you notice, as soon as ChoiceBeef realized I had legit questions and not a troll, we had a pretty cool convo. As soon as a poster like PopRudy or BoilerSteel goes straight to the insults with not understanding why I popped off, that’s why this place has such a limited perspective. Even though my original post had no opinion based details, some see “Hoo” & immediately go into attack mode. Funny how I adhere to your request last night with a nice response, then you had to rehash details that could easily be understood if you had an open mind and read every post.
You mean that little detail about how Purdue finished third in the regular season which was total bullshit then and still is today. Color me shocked that Beef didn't call you out on that ridiculous nonsense.

Reactions: Purdue85

Selective reading? No, specific examples illustrating that you're an ass. You're fooling no one.

You mean that little detail about how Purdue finished third in the regular season which was total bullshit then and still is today. Color me shocked that Beef didn't call you out on that ridiculous nonsense.

Did the hint of me saying you would say it if it were IU not alert you that I was joking. Jeez...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT