ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Hoogolf, you have mischaracterized your quote found in the link: what the article said is that 90% of Brohm's colleagues advised him not to take the Purdue job unless it was something that he really wanted. In the next sentence Brohm states that he really wanted it.

That is very different in context from what you posited. His colleagues were telling him not to take a job unless he wanted it, not just do not take the Purdue job. The article is unambigous in that.

One of your own posters agreed with me. What can I say, I literally posted his quote and ask what you thought. You want to make all these assumptions. Why is that?

Hoogolf, I am surprised that you will not admit that given IU's resources, etc and the fact that he was not walking into a total disaster, unlike Crean, that the NIT was not even offered this past season.

IU was offered a spot in the 2017 NIT. As you and other IU fans point out, 6th place finish in the B1G is worth something. I cannot think of a time when 6th place did not merit a NIT bid at the minimum.

The NIT is usually based on selling tickets to MSG. If the IU brand is what you and others claim it to be, then that brand should have been able to sell tickets in NYC. I can recall at the recent B1G tournament IU fans claiming how they were really boosting attendance for the early round games in that very venue. A few weeks later that brand had no value. Again, this seems contradictory.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Your recruiting class this year was terrible and part of the reason was CAM. He's trashing your program and the kids are listening. Archie could be a blessing in disguise for you all. His success over the next 3 or 4 years will be shadowed by your failure which will lead to Painter being fired. I think Painter is a pretty good coach but he just can't consistently bring in enough good recruits to take it to the next level. As Archie wins wins and wins some more, and Purdue doesn't, he will be let go and then you can go out and potentially find someone better. It is what it is.

Hey, another fellow IU fan here. I read this forum from time to time to keep up on Purdue bball news, as I'd like to be in the know about what our rival team is doing. However, you really need to shut up and stop embarrassing other Indiana fans who are sane and think logically.

I don't like Purdue either, but I'm not over here declaring up and down that Archie is God's gift to coaching and that we will momentarily string together 3 consecutive National Titles. I do love Archie as a coach, think he has a bright future and had a tough first season trying to get Crean's players to buy in and change their mindset. But he still has a lot of proving to do before I proclaim him a Hall of Famer.

I'm also sure that you know absolutely nothing about Archie's approach to recruiting and whether he is trashing other programs or not. So unless you've seen that first hand, don't say it. I would like to think that he is selling recruits on what IU can offer them, how they fit in the system and what the staff can do to prepare them for the next level. If you do that well enough, you don't need to trash other programs.

I get it, you're excited about IU's future with Archie, so am I, but express it with a little more tact and don't act like such a loser. That just enforces what Purdue fans already think about our fanbase. You don't make us look good, and I wish people like you would just root for another team or at least stop posting in public while being associated with our team, it's a bad look.

To all the Purdue fans, I'm excited that we will be playing each other twice a year from here on out, should be a lot of fun. I'm excited about the future and I'm sure you all are too, you've had some very successful seasons recently. I selfishly hope that IU can kick Purdue's butt this season, but I'm sure it will be closer than I'd like, it's always a tough game. Good luck to you all, it's good for basketball and our state when both Indiana and Purdue are good.

Hoogolf, I am surprised that you will not admit that given IU's resources, etc and the fact that he was not walking into a total disaster, unlike Crean, that the NIT was not even offered this past season.

IU was offered a spot in the 2017 NIT. As you and other IU fans point out, 6th place finish in the B1G is worth something. I cannot think of a time when 6th place did not merit a NIT bid at the minimum.

The NIT is usually based on selling tickets to MSG. If the IU brand is what you and others claim it to be, then that brand should have been able to sell tickets in NYC. I can recall at the recent B1G tournament IU fans claiming how they were really boosting attendance for the early round games in that very venue. A few weeks later that brand had no value. Again, this seems contradictory.

Well why did RL pick IU? Why did PU’s biggest lean (Anderson) pick IU after only a 3 week recruitment with IU? Why did hometown hero leave WL ( RP) for IU? (His brother & Mom are boilers and even Brian N in a podcast said PU was heavily recruiting him.) Why can PU only land 1 5* in 20 years? Why can Painter only land 3 top 50 players in 13 years? Why has PU not been to a F4 in 38 years? Why does ESPN schedule Duke & Carolina (in 9 ACC/BIG challenges vs IU, PU played duke 1x) to play IU? Lots of questions huh? I can do that too. Reality, all you can do is talk. Seriously, you have all the answers, no wonder you can’t find data on the internet.

Do you understand how bad the league was? 4 NCAA bids... yet, PU who was #3 at one time could not win the conference. Explain that one please.

Hoogolf, the fact that a Purdue fan agreed with your characterization does not change the statements in the article. They are clear. Reread the article, you will see that my statements about it are correct. It is there for all to see.

I make no prediction about what Miller will do going forward. He may be successful and he may not be. Time will tell.

To date, he has underperformed in coaching at IU. Could that change next year? It certainly can - however, it is not a given. He evidently got RL because Louisville blew up. Sometimes it is good to be lucky - and lucky does not mean good.

I think that a fair review of statements made here is that Miller may be very successful, but he may also not be. IU fans seem to take it as a given that he will be. To date, the performance is on the side of the negative, but there remains much to be seen before an accurate judgment over time is made.

There is an old story about a young woman who married an IU fan. She came home from the honeymoon and went to her mother. She was crying.

"What's the matter honey?" asked mother.

"I was expecting so much more. All he did was sit on the edge of the bed and tell me how great it was going to be!" replied the poor girl through her tears.

:cool:

Why did PU’s biggest lean (Anderson) pick IU after only a 3 week recruitment with IU?
What is high pressure recruiting techniques?

Also, still love that he referred to you all as The University of Indiana....

In all seriousness, that is one that got away. He almost committed the second Painter offered and that brings us back to the gist of this post, got to have that killer instinct to close when they give buying signals.

There is an old story about a young woman who married an IU fan. She came home from the honeymoon and went to her mother. She was crying.

"What's the matter honey?" asked mother.

"I was expecting so much more. All he did was sit on the edge of the bed and tell me how great it was going to be!" replied the poor girl through her tears.

:cool:

Nice.. I chuckled reading that one math. Nice to see some good humor. I got your Boilers finishing 5th this year. If you recall our convo last year, I picked PU top 3 and I picked IU top 9. As we discuss, transitioning from an Offense team to a defense team would be a big learning curve.

Purdue did not win the conference because they only played MSU once (and on the road) and lost on a last second shot from deep. They lost to OSU again on a last second shot. Vince Edwards was ill in the latter part of the season and Purdue was not deep at his position. That likely caused the OSU loss as well as the MSU loss. It is reasonable to say that if they got MSU at home they win, though not guaranteed. If the case, the standings look different. But that was the luck of the draw.

Reactions: BoiledSteel
What is high pressure recruiting techniques?

Also, still love that he referred to you all as The University of Indiana....

In all seriousness, that is one that got away. He almost committed the second Painter offered and that brings us back to the gist of this post, got to have that killer instinct to close when they give buying signals.
I was shocked to be honest. I was told just an hour before he committed, that A Henrey was going to pull the trigger to IU by end of the week and out if no where Anderson committed, which was only minutes after J Hunter comitted. I hope PU gets Gillis and Brooks (if IU does not). I want IN state kids to stay here. Tired of UNC & Duke rival and MSU plucking our talent.

Reactions: BoilerFan89
Why did hometown hero leave WL ( RP) for IU? (His brother & Mom are boilers and even Brian N in a podcast said PU was heavily recruiting him.)
I go back and forth on this one. It was obvious for sometime that he just didn't want to go to to Purdue. We could have been the only D1 school to offer him and he would have weighted going JUCO or NAIA before us.

Also, we already locked up the hometown hero in George Karlaftis

I go back and forth on this one. It was obvious for sometime that he just didn't want to go to to Purdue. We could have been the only D1 school to offer him and he would have weighted going JUCO or NAIA before us.

Also, we already locked up the hometown hero in George Karlaftis

RP is exactly what IU & PU Both needed. Good for PU, young Thompson is coming & I think he’s much more ready for B10 play than PJ was coming in.

Nice.. I chuckled reading that one math. Nice to see some good humor. I got your Boilers finishing 5th year. If you recall our convo last year, I picked PU top 3 and I picked IU top 9. As we discuss, transitioning from an Offense team to a defense team would be a big learning curve.
Not a bad pick. I would take 5th this coming year, as long as it included a ticket to the big dance.

Where do you see IU next year? I do think Romeo is an excellent individual player. I am thinking IU is anywhere from 4th to 8th, depending on how well Romeo's supporting players mesh with him.

..oh, and I would take that ride on Geist if I lived in the area. Pretty lake. I grew up around Anderson so I am familiar with the area.

Reactions: BoilerIron
Purdue did not win the conference because they only played MSU once (and on the road) and lost on a last second shot from deep. They lost to OSU again on a last second shot. Vince Edwards was ill in the latter part of the season and Purdue was not deep at his position. That likely caused the OSU loss as well as the MSU loss. It is reasonable to say that if they got MSU at home they win, though not guaranteed. If the case, the standings look different. But that was the luck of the draw.

OSU was a killer for you. However, one of your poster yesterday said AM could not coach cause he blew the OSU game, yet, MP’s team lost in similar fashion to OSU in Mackey and PU was twice the team IU was. That’s the kind of nonsense that I was referencing earlier.

Not a bad pick. I would take 5th this coming year, as long as it included a ticket to the big dance.

Where do you see IU next year? I do think Romeo is an excellent individual player. I am thinking IU is anywhere from 4th to 8th, depending on how well Romeo's supporting players mesh with him.

..oh, and I would take that ride on Geist if I lived in the area. Pretty lake. I grew up around Anderson so I am familiar with the area.
I grew up in New Castle, and currently live about 2 miles north of Eddy's on Brooks School. The old NCC conference used to be killer.

Can’t wait to get on the water. :). I’m thinking top 4-5. Curious to see how UM, MSU & MD look next year. Lots of talent on paper but will it work well as a unit. How that shakes out, I’m not sure. As all BIG fans know, 1 team will finish in top 5 unexpectedly, but who? I think PU, UW, OSU & Neb can make noise too pending who stays or leaves before June. Not sure if the conf is any better next year, lots of unknowns unlike last year when you knew PU & MSU would be in top 3. Will be fun.

Curious to see how UM, MSU & MD look next year.
A lot depends on who comes back. Honestly, I think MSU will be better if Ward leaves. Tillman fits the mold better and doesn't have an attitude problem like Ward.

MD - I wonder if they have another down year if Turgeon survives.

A lot depends on who comes back. Honestly, I think MSU will be better if Ward leaves. Tillman fits the mold better and doesn't have an attitude problem like Ward.

MD - I wonder if they have another down year if Turgeon survives.

Agree on MD. Lots of talent but more of a Crean type coach on the sidelines. Tillman & Ward are both monsters. If Trevon Williams has good hands & feet, (slim down some more) he could be a similar player for PU in the upcoming years.

Agree on MD. Lots of talent but more of a Crean type coach on the sidelines. Tillman & Ward are both monsters. If Trevon Williams has good hands & feet, (slim down some more) he could be a similar player for PU in the upcoming years.
If he can have a drop in weight while building strength he will be a great add. I think his hands are fine just weight he put on because of a broken leg a year ago.

If he can have a drop in weight while building strength he will be a great add. I think his hands are fine just weight he put on because of a broken leg a year ago.
Agree, I just have not seen anything outside of highlight tapes. Hard to see hands & feet in those tapes, as it never shows their flaws. . This year’s PU class will be noticed in another year or 2. Might be like this past graduating class. Small rebuild this year, but all signs point to a class that has pieces to gel well together. Hunter has to gain weight tho. Really heady player, but strength will be a challenge for him this coming year. I fear the same for Rob P at iu too.

Agree, I just have not seen anything outside of highlight tapes. Hard to see hands & feet in those tapes, as it never shows their flaws. . This year’s PU class will be noticed in another year or 2. Might be like this past graduating class. Small rebuild this year, but all signs point to a class that has pieces to gel well together. Hunter has to gain weight tho. Really heady player, but strength will be a challenge for him this coming year. I fear the same for Rob P at iu too.
I watched footage of Trevion at the NBA Top100 camp ( I think not 100% sure) basically got to see game footage. Granted he was winded because he had just come back from his injury but he has knack for good positioning for rebounds like Biggie.

I don't think RP needs to put on that much weight - just strength to bang around. He will get pushed around by Carsen because of it but will end up being a great 4 year player.

Reactions: Hoogolf
I watched footage of Trevion at the NBA Top100 camp ( I think not 100% sure) basically got to see game footage. Granted he was winded because he had just come back from his injury but he has knack for good positioning for rebounds like Biggie.

I don't think RP needs to put on that much weight - just strength to bang around. He will get pushed around by Carsen because of it but will end up being a great 4 year player.

Yeah, I think Hunter & RP will have very similar careers. Really good 4 year kids.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Dude, you're a dumb@ss.

The discussion is Archie. not Painter.

Try to stay on topic. Unless, of course, your argument is that lame.

Lighten up, that was friendly trash talking. Just like math came up with a very clever response that I enjoyed and did not become offended. I fully expect a dusted banner reference. If you read all my posts, you would know I actually think highly of Painter. Rather, I post simple facts and some posters take offense to it. I read countless posts say AM can’t coach, referencing his record in year 1. However, Painter had a worse record and I’m called a dumbass. Huh? I did not judge Painter after 1 year. If I did that & based on his 1st year, he’s a terrible coach... which is complete BS.

When Painter finds out somebody is looking for a financial benefit, he moves on. Just like with a certain former Louisville commit who was playing for the same team as one of our commits. Painter can't or won't come out and say that about a player, but it's worth noting when he does bail on a kid, like say Romeo for example, really early. Also Louisville was the projected landing spot until they got caught paying players. The cost of running a clean program is having zero shot at certain players. The FBI investigation lifted the curtain. It isn't saltiness at missing on the top recruits, but more of an understanding.
@proudopete in case you needed help finding it, here it is.

Purdue can do better than 5th next year IMO. Haarms may be the best defensive big in the conference - the dude is disruptive around the rim, and CEdwards will be the best pure scorer; likely to lead the conference in scoring with so many Purdue departures.

Basketball is a game of team defense and star power on offense. If Langford is an NBA lotto pick in the making (I know, he's gotta prove it on the court), I expect both IU and Purdue to be in the top few, along with Michigan and MSU. Maryland? Nah, especially since Fernando is likely to stay in the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoogolf
@proudopete in case you needed help finding it, here it is.
Was he talking about Romeo? I don't think any of our players played on the same AAU team as Romeo.

Only other one that would come to mind would have been Malik Williams but pretty sure he played on an Under Armor team in AAU ball. Don't think we had any kids from his team commit either.

Perhaps @StickPurdue can clarify who he was talking about.

Was he talking about Romeo? I don't think any of our players played on the same AAU team as Romeo.

Only other one that would come to mind would have been Malik Williams but pretty sure he played on an Under Armor team in AAU ball. Don't think we had any kids from his team commit either.

Perhaps @StickPurdue can clarify who he was talking about.
He specifically mentions Painter bailing on Romeo early by implying Romeo asked for payment. I believe he was also talking about Malik Williams.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
So which one of our players played AAU ball with Romeo or Malik?
That part I don't know. What I do know is that he definitely implied Painter backed off Romeo, because he asked for money.

I don't know whether he actually believes that, or if like I said in another thread it's a coping mechanism.

He specifically mentions Painter bailing on Romeo early by implying Romeo asked for payment. I believe he was also talking about Malik Williams.

No, it was Bowen that took money and was outed by the FBI investigation. That was what caused their coach to be fired. Bowen was teammeates with Eastern. There were a lot of people that were upset Painter didn't land Bowen when they had his teammate, Eastern as a commit.

One of the other players outed in the FBI investigation was Little, who is higher ranked than Romeo, and was offered money by Archie's brother. Now is currently committed to North Carolina.

Here's one for you, if you go by HS rankings IU last year had more 4 star players than the boilers and overall a higher point average. Lost to Fort Wane LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT