ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

So EaSY YoU OnLY Won 5 last year. And the only guy to win 6 back to back you FIRED.

aND HE Lost in the 1st RounD HiS Last 2 TRies. SorRY thAT IsN'T GooD
You want to talk football? I thought this was a basketball board? I really care less about Brohm as he will be gone in another year or 2. He’s a hell of a coach. See how easy it is to complement an opposing coach. What did you think when Brohm said 90% of his colleagues told him not to take the PU job?

Hoogolf, I hate to present logic to you but I will try:

Whatever success Miller had with Dayton has/had nothing to do with Dayton being middle of the pack in their conference. While you are correct to point out that Miller achieved the apex of Dayton's success that does not disprove the contention that Dayton is middle of the pack (historically) in their conference. Both statements can be simultaneously true.

Miller's 0-9 record against tournament teams suggests he wins only when he has a talent advantage. Recognizing that the B1G was very bifurcated last year at least raises the possibility that the league standings are not as accurate a predictor of the future as you seem to believe.

Any moron knows it’s a wait and see at IU. To assume AM going to win 30 games in year 2 is silly. Just as it’s silly to say AM was not successful at Dayton, he took their program to places they’ve never been. Now he’s at IU, better resources, bigger budgets and a backyard of recruiting talent, he should be expected to win at IU. I’m all for the wait and see approach, but the nonsense and made up lies on this board is hilarious.

Reactions: TopSet80
He's not wrong. No matter how much you try to spin and ignore it. No one here gives a crap on what you think. Don't like it? Stop coming here.
Small minded, I get it.... I expect this from you. Maybe take a lesson from Scheffler90. He’s a great poster and not little angry PU guy.

Reactions: TopSet80
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Blackmon a 5-star? I think that it is reasonable to say that he did not perform over his career as predicted by the IU brethren. My point is that just because someone is a 5-star coming into college, he need not turn out to be a great player. Romeo may be great, but maybe he won't be. The proof will be in the pudding but nothing is pre-ordained.

Romeo may be great, but he's a one n done. He's going to be showcasing for draft position and to get paid. He could care less whether the team wins, as long as he puts up numbers and improves his draft stock.
It will be interesting to see how Little Archie reconciles this with trying to win games and Romeo doing what LA wants him to do as opposed what Romeo wants to do because there's scouts there.

Hoogolf, I hate to present logic to you but I will try:

Whatever success Miller had with Dayton has/had nothing to do with Dayton being middle of the pack in their conference. While you are correct to point out that Miller achieved the apex of Dayton's success that does not disprove the contention that Dayton is middle of the pack (historically) in their conference. Both statements can be simultaneously true.

Miller's 0-9 record against tournament teams suggests he wins only when he has a talent advantage. Recognizing that the B1G was very bifurcated last year at least raises the possibility that the league standings are not as accurate a predictor of the future as you seem to believe.

"bifurcated"? Don't used those big kind words when talking to iu fans, you'll only confuse them.

Wow, such a weak response. A link is all you have? I am actually embarrassed for you. I mean you do see the irony when calling someone out for their trash talk when the best you can come up with is to link another site right?

Obviously what was in that link went right over your head... this is the last time I respond to you as you provide nothing to this board other than representing a little angry fanboy. I don’t mind having a little fun with bonefish or ChoiceBeef as they are typically reasonable GBI poster, unlike you.

Obviously what was in that link went right over your head... this is the last time I respond to you as you provide nothing to this board other than representing a little angry fanboy. I don’t mind having a little fun with bonefish or ChoiceBeef as they are typically reasonable GBI poster, unlike you.
Lol, wow and now I am even more embarrassed for you as you completely are not seeing the irony in your post. The last time you and I went at it, I completely refuted your arguments and exposed for the fool you are exactly like I have now.

So do as you did last time and run back to peegs with your tail between your legs because the only thing that will happen for you here, is your continued embarrassment.

Lol, wow and now I am even more embarrassed for you as you completely are not seeing the irony in your post. The last time you and I went at it, I completely refuted your arguments and exposed for the fool you are exactly like I have now.

So do as you did last time and run back to peegs with your tail between your legs because the only thing that will happen for you here, is your continued embarrassment.

I’m still here and a dumb comment like running back to peegs is the best come back that you can come up with. Don’t forget to grab you lunchbox when you return from recess.

What argument did you refuted? I never debated a topic with you. Did you create an imaginary conversation with me? All I recall is me calling you small minded and a little angry fanboy. I know you really want to include a trailer park comment (which is typical from you) but I beat you too it. You are embarrassing your own fan base, yet you can’t see it. It would be amazing if you could share an actual intelligent basketball comment like I did in my first post, where I stated only facts and no prediction nor opinion.

Hoogolf, a question:

You stated above in this thread that 90% of Brohm's colleagues advised him not to take the Purdue coaching position. What support do you have for that assertion? I suspect that is just your assertion and not backed up by fact.

Hoogolf, a question:

You stated above in this thread that 90% of Brohm's colleagues advised him not to take the Purdue coaching position. What support do you have for that assertion? I suspect that is just your assertion and not backed up by fact.

It was in a quote from an article from PU media this past week. I literally copied the quote. You can find the article on twitter. Think it was N Baird. It’s 100% fact.

Boy, you can surely tell it's a slow sports week at Purdue. Can you guys stop calling people names? And showing your ignorance and immaturity? Why not bring out your water ballon sling shot for your fraternity beer bash fight? Next we'll be arguing who has the best pizza, Mother Bears or Arnies.

Reactions: Hoogolf
It was in a quote from an article from PU media this past week. I literally copied the quote. You can find the article on twitter. Think it was N Baird. It’s 100% fact.
Sadly, this is correct. I read the article as well. I swear to God, sometimes you have to wonder if coaches are just complete idiots. Why even say it?! Even if it's true, don't tell the whole world that several of your colleagues don't think Purdue is a job worth taking. Just stupid. You're unwittingly bad-mouthing your own program/school.

I'm sorry. I've never really embraced the hatred and rivalry and trash talking between Purdue and IU fans. So who won this war of words? Is somebody keeping score?

Boy, you can surely tell it's a slow sports week at Purdue. Can you guys stop calling people names? And showing your ignorance and immaturity? Why not bring out your water ballon sling shot for your fraternity beer bash fight? Next we'll be arguing who has the best pizza, Mother Bears or Arnies.
You could make a case for either on strictly pizza, but once you throw in the Arnie's junior salad, it's all over.

Well, if that is the case, it certainly demonstrates that Brohm has better insights than his colleagues do as he was clearly very successful relative to preseason predictions.

Note, however, that you never disproved or disputed my comment about Dayton being mid-pack and Miller having some success there.

IU fans posting here present arguments based upon cognitive dissonance.. We are told that a true measure of Miller's coaching prowess is his success in getting Dayton to the E8. Painter is a bad/mediocre coach for not getting past a S16. However, both Davis and Crean went further in the Tournament than did Miller but IU fans maintain that they are bad/poor coaches. Let's remember that the ISU coach when Bird was there got to the final game and was fired a few years later and never heard from again.

So which is it? You can't have it both ways. If Miller is a very good coach based upon Tourney success at Dayton then Davis and Crean must be better - and the ISU coach was better than them. If that is not true, then Tourney results are not a valid indicator. But both cannot be simultaneously true.

Tourney success is a function of skill, luck and match-ups. Injuries are random and consequential. That is true in other sports as well. Secretariat lost at Saratoga. Man of War lost to Upset (hence the name of a surprising loss.) Wild Card teams win World Series and Super Bowls despite being inferior over a long season.

Reactions: Roeder
Hoogolf, for the record I did a GOOGLE search using the terms:" Brohm Purdue coaching job 90% don't take it." and did not find any article as you describe. Perhaps you can enlighten me on where I went wrong.

Well, if that is the case, it certainly demonstrates that Brohm has better insights than his colleagues do as he was clearly very successful relative to preseason predictions.

Note, however, that you never disproved or disputed my comment about Dayton being mid-pack and Miller having some success there.

IU fans posting here present arguments based upon cognitive dissonance.. We are told that a true measure of Miller's coaching prowess is his success in getting Dayton to the E8. Painter is a bad/mediocre coach for not getting past a S16. However, both Davis and Crean went further in the Tournament than did Miller but IU fans maintain that they are bad/poor coaches. Let's remember that the ISU coach when Bird was there got to the final game and was fired a few years later and never heard from again.

So which is it? You can't have it both ways. If Miller is a very good coach based upon Tourney success at Dayton then Davis and Crean must be better - and the ISU coach was better than them. If that is not true, then Tourney results are not a valid indicator. But both cannot be simultaneously true.

Tourney success is a function of skill, luck and match-ups. Injuries are random and consequential. That is true in other sports as well. Secretariat lost at Saratoga. Man of War lost to Upset (hence the name of a surprising loss.) Wild Card teams win World Series and Super Bowls despite being inferior over a long season.

You can paint what ever narrative you want, but AM was one of the most wanted young coaches in the country coming out of Dayton and to say otherwise is plain foolish.

I’m still here and a dumb comment like running back to peegs is the best come back that you can come up with. Don’t forget to grab you lunchbox when you return from recess.

What argument did you refuted? I never debated a topic with you. Did you create an imaginary conversation with me? All I recall is me calling you small minded and a little angry fanboy. I know you really want to include a trailer park comment (which is typical from you) but I beat you too it. You are embarrassing your own fan base, yet you can’t see it. It would be amazing if you could share an actual intelligent basketball comment like I did in my first post, where I stated only facts and no prediction nor opinion.
Wake me when you have something of substance to post. The only embarrassment here is you, that isn't even debatable anymore. Then you go on to whine about intelligent conversation when that is something you are incapable of having. You just aren't and that is the facts.

You can paint what ever narrative you want, but AM was one of the most wanted young coaches in the country coming out of Dayton and to say otherwise is plain foolish.

Hoogolf, the fact that he was "...one of the most wanted young coaches in the country...." is true. However, that does not mean that he will be successful at a higher level of coaching. Groce was well thought of coming out of Ohio and bombed at Illinois. A previous young successful coach at Dayton bombed at Gerogia Tech in the ACC. Leto at DePaul was successful and bombed at UVa. Smart was very successful at VCU but is still a question mark at Texas.

Here is the point: past success at a lower-caliber school is not a strong indicator of success at a higher level. Plus, did you ever hear of someone unsuccessful at a lower-level coaching job get a P5 gig?

Reactions: BoiledSteel
Hoogolf, the fact that he was "...one of the most wanted young coaches in the country...." is true. However, that does not mean that he will be successful at a higher level of coaching. Groce was well thought of coming out of Ohio and bombed at Illinois. A previous young successful coach at Dayton bombed at Gerogia Tech in the ACC. Leto at DePaul was successful and bombed at UVa. Smart was very successful at VCU but is still a question mark at Texas.

Here is the point: past success at a lower-caliber school is not a strong indicator of success at a higher level. Plus, did you ever hear of someone unsuccessful at a lower-level coaching job get a P5 gig?

Where did I say he would be? I said expectations is that he “should” with IU’s resources. Big difference. Not 1x did I set any expectations for results this coming season. Again, with IU’s resources and his image as a coach set the expectations of winning. He could fall flat on his face. Who knows, RL & JM could be severely injured from a freak accident in October. Anything is possible, I never suggested otherwise. However, the evidence that AM is a poor coach thus far is not true. Could it become true? Absolutely.

Last edited:
Hoogolf, you have mischaracterized your quote found in the link: what the article said is that 90% of Brohm's colleagues advised him not to take the Purdue job unless it was something that he really wanted. In the next sentence Brohm states that he really wanted it.

That is very different in context from what you posited. His colleagues were telling him not to take a job unless he wanted it, not just do not take the Purdue job. The article is unambigous in that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT