ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting AA - a Purdue thing

May 7, 2023
We have been fortunate witness of 10 players during CMPs tenure that were at least honorable mention All Americans or better during CMP tenure.

For history buffs, which B10 schools have more AAs (HMention or better) in the last 15 years than CMP?

Last edited:
Since no one answered.....
The answer......NONE.

No other B10 program has recruited more AAs in CMPs tenure than CMP. Not close really. I think the next closest program has had 4?

Another example of the greatness of CMP.......that is contrary to what we read here from time to time. It is really quite remarkable how many AAs we have had.

As a fan I have enjoyed watching these guys tremendously.

The answer......NONE.

No other B10 program has recruited more AAs in CMPs tenure than CMP. Not close really. I think the next closest program has had 4?

Another example of the greatness of CMP.......that is contrary to what we read here from time to time. It is really quite remarkable how many AAs we have had.

Now it’s time to take it to the next level with an NCAAT run to the FF or NC. If Zach comes back next season we should be contenders every year.

We have been fortunate witness of 11 players during CMPs tenure that were at least honorable mention All Americans or better during CMP tenure.

For history buffs, which B10 schools have more AAs (HMention or better) in the last 15 years than CMP?
who are the 11 all Americans? no way and the next highest program has 4? I would think Mich st has recruited better than painter over his career.

who are the 11 all Americans? no way and the next highest program has 4? I would think Mich st has recruited better than painter over his career.
I know of 10, maybe missed one. MSU is way above 4, either 8 or 9. Mich is 6 or 7. The OP needs a little better research.

I know of 10, maybe missed one. MSU is way above 4, either 8 or 9. Mich is 6 or 7. The OP needs a little better research.
Again this is CMP tenure about last 15 years or so ONLY

Last edited:
is Etawan Moore the only one that has had any success in the NBA, and his was limited. RMK players tended to produce less in the NBA than expected with one exception.
Remember that a lot of Painter’s recruits were not considered NBA prospects coming out of high school. Even Jaden Ivey was a very long ways from being a 5 star recruit, but he’s the one who will prove that Painter players with NBA talent will have NBA success.

The answer......NONE.

Apparently not built for the NCAA

Reactions: bonefish1
Remember that a lot of Painter’s recruits were not considered NBA prospects coming out of high school. Even Jaden Ivey was a very long ways from being a 5 star recruit, but he’s the one who will prove that Painter players with NBA talent will have NBA success.

It also shows what a good coach can do with less talent vs a coach that can diminish talent.

I think the positive you could try to draw is that Painter got some of those "fringe" or even "off-the-radar" players to get the best opportunity possible.......then, it's up to them (to name a few):

AJ Hammons
Caleb Swanigan
Vincent Edwards
Dakota Mathias
Isaac Haas
Carsen Edwards
Trevion Williams

He also addressed being able to have a lottery-pick player with Jaden Ivey. IMO, his playing style is not as limiting as some of the negative information out there.....though I do understand, the Purdue program (and Painter) does not generally appeal to or attract the top-end one-and-done projected players.

Also, right now - he's still fighting headwinds with his teams' NCAA performance, especially after the recent tournaments......he's spent a little coaching capital after 2019 in that regard, IMO. Ironically, how much does NCAA performance affect draft position/NBA scout evaluations - perhaps not as much as some think, but who knows how to quantify that for certain.

It will be interesting to see how these next couple of classes play out and mesh.....still some key targeted players in play and still a transition for Painter.....hopefully he can get his teams over the mental hurdle at the end of the season......we shall see.

JMHO

Reactions: Schnelk
I think the positive you could try to draw is that Painter got some of those "fringe" or even "off-the-radar" players to get the best opportunity possible.......then, it's up to them (to name a few):

AJ Hammons
Caleb Swanigan
Vincent Edwards
Dakota Mathias
Isaac Haas
Carsen Edwards
Trevion Williams

He also addressed being able to have a lottery-pick player with Jaden Ivey. IMO, his playing style is not as limiting as some of the negative information out there.....though I do understand, the Purdue program (and Painter) does not generally appeal to or attract the top-end one-and-done projected players.

Also, right now - he's still fighting headwinds with his teams' NCAA performance, especially after the recent tournaments......he's spent a little coaching capital after 2019 in that regard, IMO. Ironically, how much does NCAA performance affect draft position/NBA scout evaluations - perhaps not as much as some think, but who knows how to quantify that for certain.

It will be interesting to see how these next couple of classes play out and mesh.....still some key targeted players in play and still a transition for Painter.....hopefully he can get his teams over the mental hurdle at the end of the season......we shall see.

JMHO
edwards mathias williams ,haas hammonds were not all Americans. is there a helms team or something?

You nailed it. Typical IU mentality to measure recruiting based on stars by a name versus coaching evaluations and on court performance. Using success in the NBA as a measure of performance rather than actual performance in college.

They beat their chest every year about their recruiting prowess and how IU is definitely 'back' this coming season and can't figure out why they have one NCAAT win in the last seven seasons and have finished 9th or worse in the Big Ten five times during that period.

• Love
Reactions: Schnelk and Poprudy

Counted Hummel twice
10 AAs -- sorry for the error.
Again Painter's tenure.......ONLY.
Hummel
E. Moore
J. Johnson
AJ Hammons
Caleb Swanigan
Carsen Edwards
Isaac Haas
Trevion Williams
Jaden Ivey
Zach Edey

(As far as M$U I only know of Bridges, Winston, Green & Valentine). Maybe there are more??

Last edited:
Counted Hummel twice
Hummel
E. Moore
J. Johnson
AJ Hammons
Caleb Swanigan
Carsen Edwards
Isaac Haas
Trevion Williams
Jaden Ivey
Zach Edey

(As far as M$U I only know of Bridges, Winston, Green & Valentine). Maybe there are more??
are you counting honorable mentions? only edey and maybe Ivey on that list were 1st or 2nd team all Americans

Reading is hard.
From original post.....
"during CMPs tenure that were at least honorable mention All Americans or better during CMP tenure."
that's nothing to be proud of 100s of players are honorable mentions, and to say no other school has more than 4 is ludicrous.

that's nothing to be proud of 100s of players are honorable mentions, and to say no other school has more than 4 is ludicrous.

I will wait for your list of B10 schools (& players) with 5 or more since 2010. Not saying they are not any. Don't think there are though?? Just did not find any when I looked.
But since your the expert, I will wait for the list

Last edited:
Counted Hummel twice
Hummel
E. Moore
J. Johnson
AJ Hammons
Caleb Swanigan
Carsen Edwards
Isaac Haas
Trevion Williams
Jaden Ivey
Zach Edey

MSU - Harris, Payne, Lucas, Nietzel. Nietzel may be pre-CMP. And may be one more that escapes my recollection. Mich is Burke, Dickinson, Wagner, Stuaskas, Brazekus (spelling?) and one or two more that I can’t recall. Think Iowa may be 5.

Reactions: DualGrad
I will wait for your list of schools (& players) with 5 or more since 2010. Not saying they are not any. Don't think there are though?? Just did not find any when I looked.
But since your the expert, I will wait for the list
I won't list out the detail but if it's just consensus 1st and 2nd team the list is pretty short, but it's not zero. Below is what I saw with a quick look, I may have missed some.
  • Duke
  • Kansas
  • Gonzaga
  • Kentucky
Link: Consensus AA's

MSU - Harris, Payne, Lucas, Nietzel. Nietzel may be pre-CMP. And may be one more that escapes my recollection. Mich is Burke, Dickinson, Wagner, Stuaskas, Brazekus (spelling?) and one or two more that I can’t recall. Think Iowa may be 5.
Thanks M51

# don't know or care where your board even is but here you are your team must be pretty special that you are so preoccupied with ours keep begging for attention while i put you on ignore tho i do like your hardware stores.
I go to several different boards to talk basketball. Apparently it got your attention without begging for it. 😎

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT