ADVERTISEMENT

Around the Big Ten recruiting

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
Next year looks rough as we loseat least 3 starters and are bringing in a very mediocre recruiting class. Poole looks good, but is only ranked 61st by ESPN, the other two are not even 4 star recruits. The issue is compounded by the fact 12 BT teams have their recruiting classes ranked or honorable mention by ESPN, including #1 USCal, #3 UCLA, #7 UMich and #9 Iowa. IU could come back to the pack with all their graduation losses and also not a ranked class coming in.

Next year looks rough as we loseat least 3 starters and are bringing in a very mediocre recruiting class. Poole looks good, but is only ranked 61st by ESPN, the other two are not even 4 star recruits. The issue is compounded by the fact 12 BT teams have their recruiting classes ranked or honorable mention by ESPN, including #1 USCal, #3 UCLA, #7 UMich and #9 Iowa. IU could come back to the pack with all their graduation losses and also not a ranked class coming in.
My guess is we’ll see a transfer or two come in, will they be difference makers? Also, the other Reynolds sister coming in as well.

Reactions: DocRon
My guess is we’ll see a transfer or two come in, will they be difference makers? Also, the other Reynolds sister coming in as well.
At some point IMO KG has to put down the crack pipe of the transfer portal and build up her own recruits, before she gains a reputation of "you don't want to go there as a freshman, she will pull in portal players over you and you'll have to transfer to get to play".

At some point IMO KG has to put down the crack pipe of the transfer portal and build up her own recruits, before she gains a reputation of "you don't want to go there as a freshman, she will pull in portal players over you and you'll have to transfer to get to play".
You have to get transfers these days. Key is not settling for mid level ones. Maybe she won’t get any, she still should try to get the top level ones.

You have to get transfers these days. Key is not settling for mid level ones. Maybe she won’t get any, she still should try to get the top level ones.
I disagree that you HAVE to get transfers, unless you have a hole in your recruiting. When you start counting on it to replace players EVERY YEAR, you are going to hurt your recruiting. Look around the BT and you won't see another team with 5 transfers on their roster. What you will see is PSU, UMinn, and UWisc building their teams through recruiting high school players and establishing long term relationships that will continue to pay dividends years down the road rather than continuing to reach for the easy fix rather than develop the talent on the team you recruited.

I disagree that you HAVE to get transfers, unless you have a hole in your recruiting. When you start counting on it to replace players EVERY YEAR, you are going to hurt your recruiting. Look around the BT and you won't see another team with 5 transfers on their roster. What you will see is PSU, UMinn, and UWisc building their teams through recruiting high school players and establishing long term relationships that will continue to pay dividends years down the road rather than continuing to reach for the easy fix rather than develop the talent on the team you recruited.

Don’t let facts or reality stand in the way of your delusions Micheal.

Of the 13 players slated to be on the roster next year. 11 of those came from recruiting out of high school. Only 2 - Mila and Harper Jr. - are from the portal.

So I don’t know what the portal “crack pipe’ KG has been smoking lately. It has been abundantly clear - save for the 2 transition years where transfers were desperately needed due to key departures - that KG is looking to fill the roster with high school recruits - and then fill in any holes that may pop up through the portal. But don’t let reality come in the way of your delusions - by all means.

Don’t let facts or reality stand in the way of your delusions Micheal.

Of the 13 players slated to be on the roster next year. 11 of those came from recruiting out of high school. Only 2 - Mila and Harper Jr. - are from the portal.

So I don’t know what the portal “crack pipe’ KG has been smoking lately. It has been abundantly clear - save for the 2 transition years where transfers were desperately needed due to key departures - that KG is looking to fill the roster with high school recruits - and then fill in any holes that may pop up through the portal. But don’t let reality come in the way of your delusions - by all means.
Both Harpers, Terry, Ellis, and Mila Reynolds............ FIVE portal players on the current roster............ maybe learn to read AND count before you pop off stupidly and show your hate and ignorance.

Both Harpers, Terry, Ellis, and Mila Reynolds............ FIVE portal players on the current roster............ maybe learn to read AND count before you pop off stupidly and show your hate and ignorance.
I was thinking Ellis, Terry and Caitlyn Harper were recruited by Coach Versyp. Maybe my memory is faulty though. Wouldn't surprise me. Lol.

I was thinking Ellis, Terry and Caitlyn Harper were recruited by Coach Versyp. Maybe my memory is faulty though. Wouldn't surprise me. Lol.
All three were portal transfers, Terry and Ellis brought in by Versyp/Gearlds before Versyp was canned. And how could 3 5th year players be recruited by a coach just in her third year?

Again - reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit, is it.

I said that - save for her 2 transition years - meaning. Ellis/Terry/Harper are linked into that timespans. Those 3 came in after we lost our starting backcourt (Karissa and Kayanna) and key post recruit (Washington) during the coaching change madness. We desperately needed talent and experience then so the only logical decision was to go into the portal - and it has worked out about as good as possible. They are the reason why the last two years have been considered successes.

You started this thread talking about recruiting - meaning the future. Thus why i brought up our FUTURE roster - not the current roster. (DUH 🙄). Our future roster is only, as of now, set to have 2 portal players out of 13 total. That is an overwhelmingly obvious sign that KG is determined to build this roster off of high school talent and not portal talent.

I want to apologize to the board for responding to the trolls shitposting again.... I know better than to expect intelligent discussions from him, just insults and condescension. I will go back to ignoring his crap.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT