ADVERTISEMENT

Question on Catchings

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
@tjreese

I went back and looked at threads about the recruitment of Morton, Gillis and Edey and only posted the Edey one. However, in one of the threads you were talking about your concern about Morton's shooting form and you were right on the money. So I'll ask you what your thoughts are on Catchings shooting form. Thanks.

@tjreese

I went back and looked at threads about the recruitment of Morton, Gillis and Edey and only posted the Edey one. However, in one of the threads you were talking about your concern about Morton's shooting form and you were right on the money. So I'll ask you what your thoughts are on Catchings shooting form. Thanks.
Sorry, I've been swamped for a few weeks and just NOW saw this. Ethan was pretty easy to see some flaws. I have only seen Kanon play two games live and in the game against Kokomo he was a BEAST! I was VERY impressed with his abilities. He glides down the court and can score in every way possible and puts forth great effort on offensive boards in particular. Offensively, he has GREAT potential! The kid is very gifted skillfully and will shine at Purdue. I'm unsure how many players Purdue has had in the last 50 years or so that were as gifted offensively coming out of high school. No doubt he will need some defensive work in college and he is a bit frail, but those that haven't seen him will see the potential soon.

As far as shooting and I'm going to limit this to jump shots on the perimeter off the dribble and catch &shoot (his floaters are solid). He is a good shooter and definitely keeps his off hand off the ball. Probably a bit more one handed than most players. Video makes it hard to see, because you really want to be in front of the shooter and see the shooter from the side to have the best views. What I have seen (going off a bit of memory)...he does tend to overstride just a bit. His shooting foot (right foot) ends up a bit forward which causes the body to turn and ends up with him shooting a "bit" sideways. Many times this is a habit of a youngster shooting too far out and heaving the ball due to strength IMO. Kendall Stephens had a huge overstride and much farther than Kanon. Kanon is a good shooter overall. There are a lot of adjustments in college and I don't know how he will handle the mental and physical demands/adjustments. That said...as far as skill...this kid is loaded with ability. IMO his "potential" is high enough that he could be the leading scorer for Purdue this year, but I doubt that happens due to some returning players and some freshmen adjustments. Still, "offensively" I believe his potential to score is higher than anyone on the team since he will work off the ball and you can put the ball in his hands...but he is a frail freshman that must handle the physical parts as well. The kid on different teams could play the 2,3 and 4 I believe. His position may have less to do with him than it does with the other players since he is soooooo versatile or at least showed such in high school. In the game against Flory and I realize they are different player types, Kanon was clearly the best player. An ex Kokomo coach stated he hasn't seen anyone put on a performance like Kanon in the the Kokomo gym in at least 20 years. Purdue got a good one I believe!

Last edited:
Sorry, I've been swamped for a few weeks and just NOW saw this. Ethan was pretty easy to see some flaws. I have only seen Kanon play two games live and in the game against Kokomo he was a BEAST! I was VERY impressed with his abilities. He glides down the court and can score in every way possible and puts for great effort on offensive boards in particular. Offensively, he has GREAT potential! The kid is very gifted skillfully and will shine at Purdue. I'm unsure how many players Purdue has had in the last 50 years or so that were as gifted offensively coming out of high school. No doubt he will need some defensive work in college and he is a bit frail, but those that haven't seen him will see the potential soon.

As far as shooting and I'm going to limit this to jump shots on the perimeter off the dribble and catch &shoot (his floaters are solid). He is a good shooter and definitely keeps his off hand off the ball. Probably a bit more one handed than most players. Video makes it hard to see, because you really want to be in front of the shooter and see the shooter from the side to have the best views. What I have seen (going off a bit of memory)...he does tend to overstride just a bit. His shooting foot (right foot) ends up a bit forward which causes the body to turn and ends up with him shooting a "bit" sideways. Many times this is a habit of a youngster shooting too far out and heaving the ball due to strength IMO. Kendall Stephens had a huge overstride and much farther than Kanon. Kanon is a good shooter overall. There are a lot of adjustments in college and I don't know how he will handle the mental and physical demands/adjustments. That said...as far as skill...this kid is loaded with ability. IMO his "potential" is high enough that he could be the leading scorer for Purdue this year, but I doubt that happens due to some returning players and some freshmen adjustments. Still, "offensively" I believe his potential to score is higher than anyone on the team since he will work off the ball and you can put the ball in his hands...but he is a frail freshman that must handle the physical parts as well. The kid on different teams could play the 2,3 and 4 I believe. His position may have less to do with him than it does with the other players since he is soooooo versatile or at least showed such in high school. In the game against Flory and I realize they are different player types, Kanon was clearly the best player. An ex Kokomo coach stated he hasn't seen anyone put on a performance like Kanon in the the Kokomo gym in at least 20 years. Purdue got a good one I believe!
Here is some video from the Kokomo game I saw live. Here you can see at the FT line a bit of his off hand going forward where it is more of a two handed shot, but there is video where he definitely is a bit more one handed. Just noticed that you can see me around 1:58 in on the baseline about 5 rows up in a black Purdue sweatshirt talking to an ex JV coach in red for Kokomo

Last edited:
I doubt Catchings is our Carmello Anthony leading us to another FF and a championship. Sure would love that, but in reality B10 freshman of the year is a strong possibility. Hopefully he or TKR leading scorer.....Smith will score too but prefers assists for his team, and he again this year is going to have willing recipients.

Alot of weapons....The following guys are capable of being our leading scorer on any given day...and I look for all 5 to do so at least one game this year....
Myles Colvin
Kannon Catchings
TKR
Braden Smith
Fletcher Loyer.

Should be fun! Can't wait until Nov.

First…I have never seen Catchings play. I did see Glenn Robinson play against South Bend Adams at South Bend when he was a senior…and came away very impressed. He performed on the court to a level not seen often in high school. I thought Purdue is gettting a future NBA player. Anyone who has seen both Catchings and Big Dog in high school…how would you compare the two?

First…I have never seen Catchings play. I did see Glenn Robinson play against South Bend Adams at South Bend when he was a senior…and came away very impressed. He performed on the court to a level not seen often in high school. I thought Purdue is gettting a future NBA player. Anyone who has seen both Catchings and Big Dog in high school…how would you compare the two?
I have very limited views of both. I was an Alan Henderson fan first. One day I happened to be outside a store talking with Phil Waddell (Matt's dad) and he told me about Glenn. He said he thought Glenn was better because he was "meaner" (Matt had played with both in AAU) and so when Glenn made it to Purdue for the semi-state I saw him play one maybe two games...I can recall. I know he hit a winning jump shot from the left elbow opposite from the tunnel in the closing seconds to win the game. Glenn was a great competitor that was a force inside primarily due to need most likely as well as an underdeveloped perimeter game. His perimeter game grew while at Purdue. He was a great athlete and strong. HIs high school team the summer before ran 10 miles a day to get in shape. Glenn grew into Big Dog and is possibly the best college player I've seen in person. I'm a huge fan of Big Dog.

That said, he didn't have the same offensive skill set or didn't show it in high school as Kanon...and Big Dog at Purdue did not have the ball handling Kanon has today. Big Dog was a force inside that grew his perimeter shooting. In high school he was ranked first or second depending on the publication with Chris Webber. Kanon has not ever been considered that high of a ranking and Kanon may never be near the player at Purdue that averaged 30 pts and 20 boards. That said, Kanon is a better perimeter player coming into Purdue where Glenn was a force inside. The Kokomo video shows the different ways Kanon can score. Glenn didn't have that in high school and was never the ball handler Kanon already is IMO.

Last edited:
I have seen both in HS I've never considered this Question and it's a good one. GR was an in-your-face warrior with a real man's body. IMO the better comparison would be E'Twaun they both are smooth as silk. Kanon is a cerebral player who exploits every weakness like a plastic surgeon he will carve you up! Their skill sets are similar Kanon is the better ball handler. Kanon is no Glen Robinson! But he's a damn good Kanon Catchings. Good post.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT