ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Valpo THREAD

My guess Purdue by 8, game will be closer than it should be

Last edited:
Final 83-56 with 21 TOs. Jones with 21 points and Stevenson with a double double with 14 pts and 10 rbs. Caitlyn finished with 0 and 5 TOs, I don't think she even played the 4th quarter. Mila Reynolds 6 points in a burst in the first half and then back to not doing much in her time in the second. 4 players in double figures.

Another nice win for the ladies. They got off to a sluggish start but Spider Jones and Mila Reynolds came in and seemed to be the spark the team needed. Purdue pretty much controlled things from there slowly pulling away to a comfortable win.

I agree with Michael, the 21 turnovers are a big concern. Better teams will really exploit that. On the bright side they forced 20 turnovers from Valpo and also dominated the boards 46-25.

Spider Jones looks like a future star. Sometimes it seems like she can get a good shot anytime she wants. When her 3 ball is going down like today, she's really tough to guard. Mary Ashley is really taking big steps forward in her game too. Getting her first career double-double with 14 points and 10 boards. As she gets stronger she's really going to be a force.

Pretty much everyone who played contributed.....really encouraging to see Monson and Swanson make some positive plays.

Next up is SE Missouri State on Wednesday. Hopefully they can make some improvements in valuing the ball in that one.

Last edited:
Another nice win for the ladies. They got off to a sluggish start but Spider Jones and Mila Reynolds came in and seemed to be the spark the team needed. Purdue pretty much controlled things from there slowly pulling away to a comfortable win.

I agree with Michael the 21 turnovers are a big concern. Better teams will really exploit that. On the bright side they forced 20 turnovers from Valpo and also dominated the boards 46-25.

Spider Jones looks like a future star. Sometimes it seems like she can get a good shot anytime she wants. When her 3 ball is going down like today, she's really tough to guard. Mary Ashley is really taking big steps forward in her game too. Getting her first career double-double with 14 points and 10 boards. As she gets stronger she's really going to be a force.

Pretty much everyone who played contributed.....really encouraging to see Monson and Swanson make some positive plays.

Next up is SE Missouri State on Wednesday. Hopefully they can make some improvements in valuing the ball in that one.
I am not going to be too impressed if the TOs go down against SeMo, they are not a quality opponent. Its the games against UMinn and ND that I really want to see some improvement against. Same with Spider. She looks great against poor teams, but against P5 teams so far other than A&M she has been a far less impressive player. If she doesn't have a big athleticism advantage, it seems the rest of her game seems to suffer. Same with Madison's recent resurgence, I am skeptical until she can carry it over to the P5 teams where we really need her. I do think Spider has a ton of potential, but so did Smith and to date she still has a ton of potential, but not much of an actual player game in game out. Jones at least has a lot of time to get it together, for Smith time is running out. Biggest improvement generally is between freshman and sophomore years, so I am excited to see Jones and Stevenson next year.

I am not going to be too impressed if the TOs go down against SeMo, they are not a quality opponent. Its the games against UMinn and ND that I really want to see some improvement against. Same with Spider. She looks great against poor teams, but against P5 teams so far other than A&M she has been a far less impressive player. If she doesn't have a big athleticism advantage, it seems the rest of her game seems to suffer. Same with Madison's recent resurgence, I am skeptical until she can carry it over to the P5 teams where we really need her. I do think Spider has a ton of potential, but so did Smith and to date she still has a ton of potential, but not much of an actual player game in game out. Jones at least has a lot of time to get it together, for Smith time is running out. Biggest improvement generally is between freshman and sophomore years, so I am excited to see Jones and Stevenson next year.

Jones is averaging 9.5 ppg in her 4 games against power 5 opponents that have a combined record of 26-5. With 1 being a the #2 team in the country. 1 on the road and 2 in a neutral sight. All this coming in her first 2 weeks of playing college basketball. I would say she has played tremendously given the circumstances. She never got a grace period. She was thrown to the wolves immediately. She will be more than ready for big ten season.

Jones is averaging 9.5 ppg in her 4 games against power 5 opponents that have a combined record of 26-5. With 1 being a the #2 team in the country. 1 on the road and 2 in a neutral sight. All this coming in her first 2 weeks of playing college basketball. I would say she has played tremendously given the circumstances. She never got a grace period. She was thrown to the wolves immediately. She will be more than ready for big ten season.
From your mouth to gods ear on her being "more than ready" in a couple of weeks..... The 20 against A&M out of the 38 she has scored in the 4 games combined surely screws up ethically trying to use her "average" for the 4 games, but you do you. I specifically exempted the A&M game as their defense played right to her strengths and their coach never made any adjustments to Jones.

From your mouth to gods ear on her being "more than ready" in a couple of weeks..... The 20 against A&M out of the 38 she has scored in the 4 games combined surely screws up ethically trying to use her "average" for the 4 games, but you do you. I specifically exempted the A&M game as their defense played right to her strengths and their coach never made any adjustments to Jones.
And then 10/5 against UGA. She had 4 pts against UCLA’s all American guards in her very first game as a college athlete then 4 pts and 5 boards vs Florida’s SR guards in a game where literally no one could score.

Instead of talking about Spider how about talking about the play of 5th year starting PG Terry. In 28 minutes a game she’s averaging 4 points and 6 rebounds shooting a pathetic 8-30 from the field, most players would see a cut in minutes, spin these any way you want these are horrible numbers for a 5 year player.

Reactions: Larry77
Instead of talking about Spider how about talking about the play of 5th year starting PG Terry. In 28 minutes a game she’s averaging 4 points and 6 rebounds shooting a pathetic 8-30 from the field, most players would see a cut in minutes, spin these any way you want these are horrible numbers for a 5 year player.

I’ll answer that. Because he has to sh*t on the best thing that has come from this season. Imo. Spider’s and MA’s play has been great. She has seamlessly transitioned to the college game and has played really well considering the tough competition thrown her way right away. Those two are going to be the foundation we will build this program on for the next 3 years. I see them being all big ten players for us in the future. By feb they will be playing like vets out there. But god forbid we have any hope or optimism on this board.

Reactions: Gesysp
I’ll answer that. Because he has to sh*t on the best thing that has come from this season. Imo. Spider’s and MA’s play has been great. She has seamlessly transitioned to the college game and has played really well considering the tough competition thrown her way right away. Those two are going to be the foundation we will build this program on for the next 3 years. I see them being all big ten players for us in the future. By feb they will be playing like vets out there. But god forbid we have any hope or optimism on this board.
I think the two Frosh have been really good, even some of the others have had moments. If we’re going to talk about disappointing years so far it starts with Terry, 25% shooting, 2.5 turnovers a game, assists down, rebounds down, scoring down etc. I’m sorry, I expect more from a girl that has played in college 5 years, in 28 minutes a game those are terrible numbers, hit a damn shot! Braden Smith the men’s PG would get run out of West Lafayette if as a Soph he sported those numbers.

Terry is leading this team in both rebound and assists. Her lack of offensive output continues to be frustrating but Spider coming off the bench to add 10 ppg has helped negate that.

I would say the 2 biggest negatives this season has been Smiths lack of offensive production and Mila not being able to contribute but she has been injured so who knows how much that has affected that. I consider her a freshman considering how little PT she got last year and she never got any warm up games either before being thrown to the wolves.

If we just got 8-10 more combined ppg from a Smith/Terry we are probably sitting at 7-1. That’s not much to ask from two vets and I think it can be done going forward

Last edited:
Reactions: MichaelRR
Terry is leading this team in both rebound and assists. Her lack of offensive output continues to be frustrating but Spider coming off the bench to add 10 ppg has helped negate that.

I would say the 2 biggest negatives this season has been Smiths lack of offensive production and Mila not being able to contribute but she has been injured so who knows how much that has affected that.

If we just got 8-10 combined ppg from a Smith/Terry we are probably sitting at 7-1. That’s not much to ask from two vets and I think it can be done going forward
For comparison, Smith is averaging 12-7-6 shooting 48.8 % from the floor as the PG. I keep hearing how Terry is one of the teams best players, I don’t see it, especially for a 5th year player that at one point averaged 10 a game at Illinois. I’m sorry a 4-6-5 stat line with 2.5 turnovers a game in close to 30 minutes a night isn’t good, I hope it gets better, if not it will be a long Big Ten season.

Reactions: Larry77

I would say the 2 biggest negatives this season has been Smiths lack of offensive production and Mila not being able to contribute but she has been injured so who knows how much that has affected that.

If we just got 8-10 combined ppg from a Smith/Terry we are probably sitting at 7-1. That’s not much to ask from two vets and I think it can be done going forward
I think this was Mila's best game so far. She made several nice plays. It seems her conditioning may need some work. She only played a couple minutes each stint she was in. But she made positive contributions every time. Hopefully she'll be able to build on this game. Her size is needed.

For comparison, Smith is averaging 12-7-6 shooting 48.8 % from the floor as the PG. I keep hearing how Terry is one of the teams best players, I don’t see it, especially for a 5th year player that at one point averaged 10 a game at Illinois.

Because you apparently are only considering points in your player evaluation. There are way more things to look at the a just a ppg average. Where would this team be without her 6 boards a game? Sure not at 5-3.

For comparison, Smith is averaging 12-7-6 shooting 48.8 % from the floor as the PG. I keep hearing how Terry is one of the teams best players, I don’t see it, especially for a 5th year player that at one point averaged 10 a game at Illinois.
My only complaint about Terry is her unforced turnovers. She's an important piece to the puzzle. She makes plays that nobody else on the team can make. It just seems every now and then, she loses focus and makes some bonehead plays.

My only complaint about Terry is her unforced turnovers. She's an important piece to the puzzle. She makes plays that nobody else on the team can make. It just seems every now and then, she loses focus and makes some bonehead plays.

What this team really needs is just more time out on the floor together against tune up competition. This is not the same team as last year - we have several new parts that are playing a major role this year. I think TOs and sloppy play will decrease once Terry get used to playing with the newbies . MA and Jones specifically. We should look like a completely different team by feb. because they did last year and the year before. That’s what all time should expect. I don’t really get too discouraged from games in November and early December as long as they are competitive and all but 1 against the #2 team in the nation were. I’m encouraged by our play against fellow good P5 teams. Discouraged we didn’t get at least 1 W in the Bahamas - specifically Florida because that was there for the taking. But we have plenty of time to turn it on. We just need small increases from a few players and for our rookies to continue to produce.

Again - we normally get 3-4 tuneup games before playing the big girls. That didn’t happen this year. I think it was for the best because those games are really going to benefit our youngsters- but now it’s time to rack up some wins going into the new year.

Reactions: Russ Ford
ANNNNNNDDDDDD who is playing better than she is? Smith in 17 minutes a game has 4 assists TOTAL and is shooting a blistering 7% from 3 point range but still chucking them up every game. Smith has 12 TOs to Terry's 18, but Terry has 43 Assists of the teams 111 total to be well over 2-1 A-TO ratio. Rebounding is 49 for Terry, 18 for Smith. Additionally, if you take Terry off the floor for ANYONE on this team, Ellis, Harper, Stevenson, and Madison's scoring are going to drop significantly with the loss of setup passes and assists they benefit from Terry. Jones is getting better against the bad teams at least, but is still 12 Assists to 20 TOs, and in 4 games against P5 teams she only had one good outing against A&M(and it was VERY good) that skews her averages.

Right now no one is looking great but MA in my opinion. Ellis is leading in scoring, but has 120 points on 97 shots and 38 FTs and is shooting an anemic 26% from three point range. Madison is shooting better from 3 than 2 point range and until the last game was shooting 25% from inside the arc. Harper has had a couple of complete no show games already this year. Jones is doing well, but has 20 TOs second only to Ellis's 21 in 2/3 of the minutes. She shows a lot of potential, but not yet great IMO and is still too loose with the ball and nearly all her points come off one on one moves and not in the flow of the offense. I think 6th player is best for her right now, until the assists go up and the turnovers go down. Also she leads the team in fouls, so starting her at the moment might actually hurt her development if she is sitting in foul trouble too much. Let her come into the game once its going and things have settled down a bit.

Madison has been playing better the last few games, but still not as good as her sophomore year IMO. Ellis shooting is off, maybe she is forcing things too much. Terry doesn't score playing guard. She played SF at UILL but we literally have no one that can replace her assists, steals and rebounding from the PG spot on this roster, at least that has shown out at this time. Terry was the only player to get Big Ten honors from the team last year. She is definitely not playing as well this year, but if you only look at her scoring you are missing 90% of her game and you definitely are not seeing how she makes the offense go for everyone else.

Smith is either good or awful and very little in between, and you don't know from one game to the next what you are going to get. Alaina and McKenna don't hurt you on defense, but they don't give you anything on offense either. Same with Mila but for one 6 minute stretch against winless Valpo that had no post players in the game. Monson and Swanson haven't played enough to really judge their ability much, so I will trust coach they are not as ready as McKenna, which is concerining in itself considering how much of a zero hero McKenna has been so far. I do have some hope for Swanson once she plays herself into game shape that she can move into the rotation and provide some much needed scoring off the bench for us here soon.

What this team really needs is just more time out on the floor together against tune up competition. This is not the same team as last year - we have several new parts that are playing a major role this year. I think TOs and sloppy play will decrease once Terry get used to playing with the newbies . MA and Jones specifically. We should look like a completely different team by feb. because they did last year and the year before. That’s what all time should expect. I don’t really get too discouraged from games in November and early December as long as they are competitive and all but 1 against the #2 team in the nation were. I’m encouraged by our play against fellow good P5 teams. Discouraged we didn’t get at least 1 W in the Bahamas - specifically Florida because that was there for the taking. But we have plenty of time to turn it on. We just need small increases from a few players and for our rookies to continue to produce.

Again - we normally get 3-4 tuneup games before playing the big girls. That didn’t happen this year. I think it was for the best because those games are really going to benefit our youngsters- but now it’s time to rack up some wins going into the new year.

I still disagree, because between that game and the losses in the Bahamas this team is right now on the outside looking in for the NCAA's unless we pull a few upsets in conference to finish in the top 6 at the end of the season. Of the three SEC teams we played, none were projected as top half finishers but UGa at 8th if I am remembering correctly. We really need Tx A&M to have a good season because they are far and away our best OOC win unless we somehow upset ND.

Because you apparently are only considering points in your player evaluation. There are way more things to look at the a just a ppg average. Where would this team be without her 6 boards a game? Sure not at 5-3.
Not that at all, 6 rebounds is fine, however, other areas aren’t, 8 for 30 shooting is a hindrance, like playing 4 on 5, so far she’s not having a good year, hopefully, it gets better as the season goes on.

Yes, for a 5th year player that shouldn’t happen, also, she’s a better scorer than 8 for 30 from the floor, she had two years at Illinois where she averaged 10 points a game. In all areas her numbers are down, it is early yet, hopefully, they get better, if not the ladies will struggle in the Big Ten.

I still disagree, because between that game and the losses in the Bahamas this team is right now on the outside looking in for the NCAA's unless we pull a few upsets in conference to finish in the top 6 at the end of the season. Of the three SEC teams we played, none were projected as top half finishers but UGa at 8th if I am remembering correctly. We really need Tx A&M to have a good season because they are far and away our best OOC win unless we somehow upset ND.

Ah yes because the tournament committee looks at preseason projections of teams and not their actual finish to judge a team’s resume. 😂 give me a break. I think it’s pure comedy that in 2 months time you’ve completely changed your tune when it comes to our ooc schedule. From too tough to now apparently too weak unless we win every game. 😂 😂. The mental gymnastics you have to pull simply amazes me. UCLA is undefeated; TAMU is 7-1 with their only loss to us. And UGA and Florida have 2 each. FSU and Duke among those they lost to.

The committee should look at the fact that we scheduled 5 P5 teams for our OOC. 2 being top 15 teams. Both on the road. 2 being probably bubble SEC on a neutral site and 1 at home. TAMU is a ncaa tournament team. We are a NCAA bubble team at best this year. Even if we lose to ND - I feel great that we put ourselves in position to be looked on favorably because we challenge ourselves preseason when many teams have great records but have feasted on cupcakes.

For comparison- Nebraska - who is probably going to be our main competition for a bubble spot from the B10. Is 6-2; best win was a home win over GT. Lost to any other real team they’ve played. MSU and Minnesota are both 7-1 Spartans best win was DePaul. Minny’s is Drake. Michigan’s schedule has been an absolute joke. After the top of iu Iowa and OSU and probably MD. It’s a crapshoot right now of who is best. Records don’t mean anything right now. Look at who they’ve played and who they beat. Purdue easily has the toughest schedule of any of the big ten bubble teams. No out outside of the top 3 scares me. The Big ten has taken a step back this year. The sec has taken a step forward, the fact we have 3 SEC teams and ucla and Nd on our schedule will help us come tournament time compared to our big ten competition

Last edited:
Yes, for a 5th year player that shouldn’t happen, also, she’s a better scorer than 8 for 30 from the floor, she had two years at Illinois where she averaged 10 points a game. In all areas her numbers are down, it is early yet, hopefully, they get better, if not the ladies will struggle in the Big Ten.
At UILL she was a SF and her assists were way lower than here. If you want 10 ppg from her, play someone else at the point full time, but we don't have anyone proven capable of handling that job half as well as she does. I agree her shooting and scoring is a hindrance........ Ellis shooting percentage especially from 3 this year is a hindrance........ Smith maddenly inconsistent play is a big hindrance...... only Stevenson has been consistently good IMO. Jones is getting there if she can carry it over to UMinn and ND. But while Terry isn't great, she is literally light years ahead of our next best option at that position.

Ah yes because the tournament committee looks at preseason projections of teams and not their actual finish to judge a team’s resume. 😂 give me a break. I think it’s pure comedy that in 2 months time you’ve completely changed your tune when it comes to our ooc schedule. From too tough to now apparently too weak unless we win every game. 😂 😂. The mental gymnastics you have to pull simply amazes me. UCLA is undefeated; TAMU is 7-1 with their only loss to us. And UGA and Florida have 2 each. FSU and Duke among those they lost to.

The committee should look at the fact that we scheduled 5 P5 teams for our OOC. 2 being top 15 teams. Both on the road. 2 being probably bubble SEC on a neutral site and 1 at home. TAMU is a ncaa tournament team. We are a NCAA bubble team at best this year. Even if we lose to ND - I feel great that we put ourselves in position to be looked on favorably because we challenge ourselves preseason when many teams have great records but have feasted on cupcakes.

For comparison- Nebraska - who is probably going to be our main competition for a bubble spot from the B10. Is 6-2; best win was a home win over GT. Lost to any other real team they’ve played. MSU and Minnesota are both 7-1 Spartans best win was DePaul. Minny’s is Drake. Michigan’s schedule has been an absolute joke. After the top of iu Iowa and OSU and probably MD. It’s a crapshoot right now of who is best. Records don’t mean anything right now. Look at who they’ve played and who they beat. Purdue easily has the toughest schedule of any of the big ten bubble teams. No out outside of the top 3 scares me. The Big ten has taken a step back this year. The sec has taken a step forward, the fact we have 3 SEC teams and ucla and Nd on our schedule will help us come tournament time compared to our big ten competition

You really have a terrible reading comprehension problem, or just a natural born liar. I was using their pre-season predictions as a basis of where they are likely to finish which is outside the NCAA selection. The way too early ESPN prediction has UGa and UILL as 11 seeds. TxA&M is not on the list, neither is UF. We are not on the radar as even next to last 4 out at this point either. Our OOC was too tough, but its a bigger problem when we did not beat the teams we should have. Losing to UF and UGa are massive drags on our chances to get into the dance. IF they looked at who you scheduled harder than who you beat a lot more mid-majors would get in, as they routinely schedule more P5 teams OOC than P5 teams do. But they do that to have a chance if they win some of MAYBE getting an at large bid. Their conference slates are millstones dragging them down. IF you don't do well in your OOC you have to make it up in conference play. Its a pretty easy concept for most people that aren't just looking for a fight or just can't comprehend the reality of the situation. For TxA&M to get in, they have to do better than 10th in the SEC, which I seriously doubt the way they played us. Maybe they will, we have to hope they do because they are the biggest possible uplifting team from our OOC schedule right now for NET rating.

Nebraska, Michigan, and Md right now are not considered NCAA worthy according to the ESPN projection. PSU is in on the early projections as an 8 seed, as are the big 3 and UILL and MSU are play in games. As for the toughest schedule of the bubble teams, Md is ahead of us, but if you don't win any of them, that SoS doesn't help so much. I think we will have to go 12-6 in conference to get a look, and frankly we aren't playing good enough to win 12 conference games right now IMO. 10-8 is NIT bound, 11-7 is really iffy. We were a play in game last year with a better OOC record and better wins.

You really have a terrible reading comprehension problem, or just a natural born liar. I was using their pre-season predictions as a basis of where they are likely to finish which is outside the NCAA selection. The way too early ESPN prediction has UGa and UILL as 11 seeds. TxA&M is not on the list, neither is UF. We are not on the radar as even next to last 4 out at this point either. Our OOC was too tough, but its a bigger problem when we did not beat the teams we should have. Losing to UF and UGa are massive drags on our chances to get into the dance. IF they looked at who you scheduled harder than who you beat a lot more mid-majors would get in, as they routinely schedule more P5 teams OOC than P5 teams do. But they do that to have a chance if they win some of MAYBE getting an at large bid. Their conference slates are millstones dragging them down. IF you don't do well in your OOC you have to make it up in conference play. Its a pretty easy concept for most people that aren't just looking for a fight or just can't comprehend the reality of the situation. For TxA&M to get in, they have to do better than 10th in the SEC, which I seriously doubt the way they played us. Maybe they will, we have to hope they do because they are the biggest possible uplifting team from our OOC schedule right now for NET rating.

Nebraska, Michigan, and Md right now are not considered NCAA worthy according to the ESPN projection. PSU is in on the early projections as an 8 seed, as are the big 3 and UILL and MSU are play in games. As for the toughest schedule of the bubble teams, Md is ahead of us, but if you don't win any of them, that SoS doesn't help so much. I think we will have to go 12-6 in conference to get a look, and frankly we aren't playing good enough to win 12 conference games right now IMO. 10-8 is NIT bound, 11-7 is really iffy. We were a play in game last year with a better OOC record and better wins.

Good lord. Good Mid major teams schedule P5 schools during their OOC because it gives them a chance to record “good” wins or at least improves their sos to potentially get in the tournament as a bubble team IF they win their crappy conference regular season title and then get upset in their conference tournament. Why would a mid teir power 5 school - like a Purdue - schedule 5 P5 OOC games and then play 18 games against…. Other power 5 schools. That’s right, MANY don’t.

It’s neck and neck between which schedule is tougher ours or Maryland’s. I would say Purdue has the slight edge with ucla and Notre dame considering that UConn has now lost 3 games. Once Uconn gets into conference their only chance at a good win is going to be Marquette/Creighton. Right now, their best win is Maryland. Which is really crazy to think about. They are not a top 4 seed as of now imo. Has their schedule been tough? Sure. But again - have to win those tough games right? UCLA and notre dame might win their conferences and be top 10 by end of year. They have a 2 pt win at home against Syracuse we have a 14 pt win vs. TAMU. They have a 20 pt neutral loss to Washington state who is #22 in rankings. But their best win is Maryland. We have two neutral losses to UGA and Florida by a combined 11 pts. All in all - we have played 5 P5 teams they’ll have played 4 with each achieving 1 win (Purdue may get 2). If ucla and notre dame win their conference you would think the committee would look at that and feel like Purdue had a better ooc - albeit very slight edge. Possibly wash.

Guess you also have to look at the fact Maryland came into the season with sky high expectations after advancing to the elite 8 a season ago, Purdue had no expectations but maybe sliding into the tournament once again. So one could conclude that Maryland SHOULD’VE had the harder schedule of the 2.

You use preseason projection when it it suits you. Maryland was projected top 4 in the league by many. So by your own line of thinking. They aren’t a bubble team. Oh wait. Results matter. Who gives a shit what Florida UGA or TAMU was projected to be at preseason. They will - and our schedule - will ultimately be judged with how they finish.

Last edited:
Good lord. Good Mid major teams schedule P5 schools during their OOC because it gives them a chance to record “good” wins or at least improves their sos to potentially get in the tournament as a bubble team IF they win their crappy conference regular season title and then get upset in their conference tournament. Why would a power 5 school schedule 5 P5 OOC games and then play 18 games against…. Other power 5 schools. That’s right, MANY don’t.

It’s neck and neck between which schedule is tougher ours or Maryland’s. I would say Purdue has the slight edge with ucla and Notre dame considering that UConn has now lost 3 games. Once Uconn gets into conference their only chance at a good win is going to be Marquette. UCLA and notre dame might win their conferences and be top 10 by end of year. They have a 2 pt win at home against Syracuse we have a 14 pt win vs. TAMU. They have a 20 pt neutral loss to Washington state who is #24 in rankings. We have two neutral losses to UGA and Florida by a combined 11 pts. All in all - we have played 5 P5 teams they’ll have played 4 with each achieving 1 win (Purdue may get 2). If ucla and notre dame win their conference you would think they would look at that and feel like Purdue had a better ooc - albeit very slight edge. Possibly wash.

Guess you also have to look at the fact Maryland came into the season with sky high expectations after advancing to the elite 8 a season ago, Purdue had no expectations but maybe sliding into the tournament once again. So one could surmise that Maryland SHOULD’VE had the harder schedule of the 2.

You use preseason projection when it it suits you. Maryland was projected top 4 in the league by many. So by your own line of thinking. They aren’t a bubble team. Oh wait. Results matter. Who gives a shit what Florida UGA or TAMU was projected to be at preseason. They will - and our schedule - will ultimately be judged with how they finish.
You talk about who teams have played and beat when it suits you.... UGa and UF haven't really beaten anyone of note yet. UF beat a mediocre GaTech team and just lost to 3-4 Marshall. UGa has lost to 5-3 Belmont and their next best win after us is Columbia or Furman. TxA&M at least has beaten KU and Cal so far. I use preseason predictions because that is a decent judge of what others expect a program to finish at. UGA, TxA&M and UF were not expected by their peers in the conference to finish high in the SEC or contend for an NCAA spot. Obviously its not fool proof, but with our 3 SEC opponents all expected to be WNIT teams, its not like we played the cream of the SEC by a long shot, and we still lost 2 of the 3.

You talk about who teams have played and beat when it suits you.... UGa and UF haven't really beaten anyone of note yet. UF beat a mediocre GaTech team and just lost to 3-4 Marshall. UGa has lost to 5-3 Belmont and their next best win after us is Columbia or Furman. TxA&M at least has beaten KU and Cal so far. I use preseason predictions because that is a decent judge of what others expect a program to finish at. UGA, TxA&M and UF were not expected by their peers in the conference to finish high in the SEC or contend for an NCAA spot. Obviously its not fool proof, but with our 3 SEC opponents all expected to be WNIT teams, its not like we played the cream of the SEC by a long shot, and we still lost 2 of the 3.

Cream is the crop teams play other cream of the crop teams. Purdue is not the cream of the crop. Obviously. We are a mid tier big ten team that was not even thought of during media day as contending for a ncaa spot. According to the “experts”. So why would we play South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU? No we played 3 mid tier programs that would challenge us but would he realistic in potentially beating. We won 1 and lost the other two late by 11 combined pts. 1 of those easily could’ve been a win. But the grand scheme of things - scheduling those games is will look much better than playing a bunch of mid majors and getting wins like many of our big ten competition has done.

Cream is the crop teams play other cream of the crop teams. Purdue is not the cream of the crop. Obviously. We are a mid tier big ten team that was not even thought of during media day as contending for a ncaa spot. According to the “experts”. So why would we play South Carolina, Tennessee and LSU? No we played 3 mid tier programs that would challenge us but would he realistic in potentially beating. We won 1 and lost the other two late by 11 combined pts. 1 of those easily could’ve been a win. But the grand scheme of things - scheduling those games is will look much better than playing a bunch of mid majors and getting wins like many of our big ten competition has done.
I agree with that last statement. But when you go 7-4 OOC with two mediocre to bad losses and only one kind of good win, you haven't helped your NCAA resume at all. No one cares about woulda/coulda/shoulda.... what matters is who you played and did you win. We played 3 likely WNIT bound SEC teams and lost 2 of the 3.

I agree with that last statement. But when you go 7-4 OOC with two mediocre to bad losses and only one kind of good win, you haven't helped your NCAA resume at all. No one cares about woulda/coulda/shoulda.... what matters is who you played and did you win. We played 3 likely WNIT bound SEC teams and lost 2 of the 3.
So you think only 3 big ten teams are going to get in? Because who has an obviously better win than 14 pt W vs TAMU in the batch of big ten bubble teams?

The only one that is even close is MD’s 2 pt home win vs. Syracuse. If our other big ten competition were killing the game and getting big wins vs other really good power 5 teams. I would be less optimistic about our schedule helping us come march. But the fact is - they aren’t. Past the top 3 and it’s anyone’s game. UGA and Florida would’ve beat many of our fellow big ten bubble dwellers.

Illinois has games against mizzou and Arkansas. So they have a chance to pick up some good wins. Michigan plays Florida later this month.

Last edited:
So you think only 3 big ten teams are going to get in? Because who has an obviously better win than 14 pt W vs TAMU in the batch of big ten bubble teams?
We disagree on the quality of TxA&M to start with. I think 6 BT teams probably get in. The top 6. I don't think we make it that high this year. I posted this Saturday, but you likely missed it:

""Conference standings through last night in OOC play:

Iowa 7-1 and avenged themselves on KSU. Not often you see a team play an OOC team twice in one year, but they met in a tournament the second time. They also have a win over #8 VaTech and a pretty good Drake team.

PSU 7-1 with wins over Kansas, St Johns, and OkSU and a one point loss to USCal. They seem MUCH improved year over year, and Owusu is not playing for them yet even.

IU at 6-1 with a win over #19 UTenn and a shellacking from Stanford. Other 5 wins are various flavors of cupcakes including Murray St.

UMich 6-1 Their loss is to #24 Ole Miss and none of their wins are over a quality opponent.

MSU 6-1 Loss to Creighton, wins over DePaul and Murray St, and a bunch of even bigger cupcakes. Hard to say how good they might be, they are certainly untested going into conference play as they only have cupcakes left on the schedule.

UMinn 6-1 loss is to UConn at UMinn, best win is over a decent NDSt, then 5 easy cupcakes. See MSU note.

OSU 5-1 big loss to start the season against USCal, notable win is over OKSt and they play UTenn tomorrow.

UNeb 5-2 Losses to Creighton and TCU and no wins over a team with a pulse. See MSU note

UWisc 5-2 with losses to KSU and 7-1 Arkansas with their best wins over N Ill and BC. Seem to be much improved, but we will see once conference play starts.

UILL 4-2 with losses to Marquette and ND and 4 wins over cupcakes. See MSU note but they seem like they may be down from last year.

UMd 4-3 played three very good teams, lost 3 times to UConn, USCar, and #23 WSU. Seem to continue to slide from their height but still likely to be formidible in the conference play.

Purdue 4-3 with a win over TxA&M and Dayton. We are going to need a strong conference season to make the NCAA's.

Rutgers 5-5 with one of the losses to Fairfield. In the running for worst in the conference with

Northwestern 3-4 on a 3 game losing streak including Belmont.

So I think the BT is breaking into 4 tiers as follows:

Top: IU, Iowa, and OSU.

Second tier: UMich (could be top tier), UMd, and 3 that may be second or third tier; MSU, UIll and I am putting PSU up here, but that may be premature.

Third tier: Purdue, UNeb, UMinn, and UWisc

Bottom of the barrel: Rutgers and Northwestern.

To make the NCAA's we need to get to that second tier and knock off several of the teams I put there to build up our resume IMO""

I do not expect any of the third tier teams to get a sniff of the NCAAs

What about Michigan, Illinois and Penn MD’s state’s body of work makes them any better than Purdue’s? What better wins do they have over TAMU?

If Purdue played michigans schedule you’d flip your shit on here 😂

What about Michigan, Illinois and Penn MD’s state’s body of work makes them any better than Purdue’s? What better wins do they have over TAMU?

If Purdue played michigans schedule you’d flip your shit on here 😂

First off, it really seems like you failed to read or comprehend my previous post. I did take Michigan et al to task for their lack of good wins because they are only feasting on cupcakes.

Second, your inconsistency is showing again. You think TxA&M is an NCAA team because they beat KU and Cal even with losing to us while ignoring PSU beat KU, OkSU and ST Johns with a semi bad loss to WVU.

Third, last year UMich and UMd were top tier teams. This year UMd has definitely slipped, not just because they lost all three of their tough games, but because they were blown out in all three, including a struggling UConn team. Their average margin of defeat in those games is around 40 points per game. Conversely Michigane has played no one but Ole Miss and they lost that game. I think both teams drop a tier this season, but I don't think they are completely falling out of the upper half of the conference just yet. We seem to agree that IU, Iowa, and OSU are the top tier teams in the league this season.

Fourth, I acknowledged that UILL and MSU might be third tier teams but gave them the benefit of the doubt. MSU having a coach again this season should make a big difference, and I expect UILL not to hit the wall so hard in February this season in BT play.

And finally Purdue as a team and each returning individual to date are playing worse than last year. Dropping down from second tier to third tier status in my opinion. In our three losses we are averaging scoring around 53 points a game with 2 games under 50. Statistically every one of the 5 returners is playing worse than last year except MAYBE Madison and she is still not playing as well as her sophmore year. Our incoming players have been a mixed bag that mostly are not ready to play. Jones and Stevenson are the two exceptions, all the rest of the newcomers are to date non-contributors in any game except against the fluffiest of cupcakes on our schedule.

First off, it really seems like you failed to read or comprehend my previous post. I did take Michigan et al to task for their lack of good wins because they are only feasting on cupcakes.

Second, your inconsistency is showing again. You think TxA&M is an NCAA team because they beat KU and Cal even with losing to us while ignoring PSU beat KU, OkSU and ST Johns with a semi bad loss to WVU.

Third, last year UMich and UMd were top tier teams. This year UMd has definitely slipped, not just because they lost all three of their tough games, but because they were blown out in all three, including a struggling UConn team. Their average margin of defeat in those games is around 40 points per game. Conversely Michigane has played no one but Ole Miss and they lost that game. I think both teams drop a tier this season, but I don't think they are completely falling out of the upper half of the conference just yet. We seem to agree that IU, Iowa, and OSU are the top tier teams in the league this season.

Fourth, I acknowledged that UILL and MSU might be third tier teams but gave them the benefit of the doubt. MSU having a coach again this season should make a big difference, and I expect UILL not to hit the wall so hard in February this season in BT play.

And finally Purdue as a team and each returning individual to date are playing worse than last year. Dropping down from second tier to third tier status in my opinion. In our three losses we are averaging scoring around 53 points a game with 2 games under 50. Statistically every one of the 5 returners is playing worse than last year except MAYBE Madison and she is still not playing as well as her sophmore year. Our incoming players have been a mixed bag that mostly are not ready to play. Jones and Stevenson are the two exceptions, all the rest of the newcomers are to date non-contributors in any game except against the fluffiest of cupcakes on our schedule.
Yeah, it sure seems Purdue has slipped backwards a couple notches this year. Disappointing - especially for veterans like Ellis and Terry. Do you think it’s due to so many newcomers changing the team’s dynamics and chemistry?
I really thought the core of returnees (Ellis, JT, Smith, Layden and Harper) would be a step or two better and thus help ease the talented frosh into the game mix.

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about the team ( or other B10 teams) as many of you guys are - just a grad and a fan. This season’s results so far have been a little blah IMO, and I don’t sense there’s the same level of energy around the program as last year. I may be way off base here …….

I’m Gonna try to go to the IU game again this year - last year was amazing, even tho’ we lost. Sellout crowd, lots of buzz around the athletic campus area last year.

Yeah, it sure seems Purdue has slipped backwards a couple notches this year. Disappointing - especially for veterans like Ellis and Terry. Do you think it’s due to so many newcomers changing the team’s dynamics and chemistry?
I really thought the core of returnees (Ellis, JT, Smith, Layden and Harper) would be a step or two better and thus help ease the talented frosh into the game mix.

I am nowhere near as knowledgeable about the team ( or other B10 teams) as many of you guys are - just a grad and a fan. This season’s results so far have been a little blah IMO, and I don’t sense there’s the same level of energy around the program as last year. I may be way off base here …….

I’m Gonna try to go to the IU game again this year - last year was amazing, even tho’ we lost. Sellout crowd, lots of buzz around the athletic campus area last year.

Do any of you actually research?? Or do you just take Michael’s straight up lies as facts? Ellis is averaging 15 ppg this year - 5 ppg more than last year. We are getting 20 combined ppg and 7.7 rpg from true freshmen. All while playing a schedule consisting of 4 P5 teams. - which is HALF of our games.

Layden has increased her scoring 4 ppg up to 10. Harper is averaging 10/5 against the 4 - P5 teams. Which is essentially her average.

The two returners who have seen their numbers dip have been smith and Terry. Everyone else is doing the same if not better work than a year ago. Plus the immediate contributions of the two rookies helping to make up for the losses of the 21ppg loss of Hardin and Petree.

Last edited:
At UILL she was a SF and her assists were way lower than here. If you want 10 ppg from her, play someone else at the point full time, but we don't have anyone proven capable of handling that job half as well as she does. I agree her shooting and scoring is a hindrance........ Ellis shooting percentage especially from 3 this year is a hindrance........ Smith maddenly inconsistent play is a big hindrance...... only Stevenson has been consistently good IMO. Jones is getting there if she can carry it over to UMinn and ND. But while Terry isn't great, she is literally light years ahead of our next best option at that position.
I never said I want that, however, I want a player that isn’t 8-30 throwing brick after brick at the rim. It’s like Purdue is short handed offensively, she needs to be better Michael. Also, the only reason I posted this is that you jump at a Frosh but am always quiet about Terry. So far she hasn’t been good, hopefully, that changes, no doubt she rebounds well, however, she’s down in every category.

Do any of you actually research?? Or do you just take Michael’s straight up lies as facts? Ellis is averaging 15 ppg this year - 5 ppg more than last year. We are getting 20 combined ppg and 7.7 rpg from true freshmen. All while playing a schedule consisting of 4 P5 teams. - which is HALF of our games.

Layden has increased her scoring 4 ppg up to 10. Harper is averaging 10/5 against the 4 - P5 teams. Which is essentially her average.

The two returners who have seen their numbers dip have been smith and Terry. Everyone else is doing the same if not better work than a year ago. Plus the immediate contributions of the two rookies helping to make up for the losses of the 21ppg loss of Hardin and Petree.
Let's see who is the liar here, you and your cherry picked stats or the the whole stats I used:

Ellis is scoring more ppg, but shooting significantly poorer from the field than last year
last year 48% from the field 37% from 3. This year 41% from the field and 27% from 3 pt range.
last year Ellis had 49 TOs for the whole year, this year through 8 games she has 21 already

C Harper
Last year 10.4 ppg, this year through 8 games 9 ppg rebounding is slightly better 4.6 this year to 3.9 for last. But of course you omitted her terrible games against the cupcakes to come up with a stat that while true is utterly dishonest in its presentation and without intellectual integrity in the context of the conversation at hand.

Madison is better so far this year over last, but not up to 2020-21 level of play and still inconsistent for a senior.

And you conceded Smith and Terry.

We are getting about 21 ppg (which is still inflated from the recent cupcake games) from the frosh but it needs to replace 28 ppg lost from Hardin, Woltman, Learn and Petree.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT