ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue WBB vs. Ohio State thread

OSU up 33-27. Mila Reynolds with 5 points and McKenna LAyden with 3 Purdue's only scoring in the second quarter. rebounding near even OSU up 17-16. Stevenson and Caitlyn both with 2 fouls for Purdue, 3 players with 2 for OSU. Ellis and Sheldon have neither one scored in first half. In fact the top two scorers for the two teams COMBINED have 5 points in the first half, with Caitlyn having 4 of those.

Still too many turnovers....just not enough fire power to overcome throwing the ball away that much. Nice game for the youngsters. All made positive contributions except the two who didn't play.

Another great loud crowd in Mackey today. It's a huge advantage when we have crowds like today and against IU.

And I agree with Doc.....Big Ten Womens Basketball officials are not just bad.....they are horrible.

Just looked at the stats, noticed Terry played every minute, that’s crazy, no player should be playing all 40 minutes, not fair to them, Layden 2 points in 34 minutes, is the bench that bad?

Reactions: Brya31
Just looked at the stats, noticed Terry played every minute, that’s crazy, no player should be playing all 40 minutes, not fair to them, Layden 2 points in 34 minutes, is the bench that bad?
It really is, on that I agree with the coach who obviously feels they cannot play against top competition. That's why the "bench the seniors" idea was so indicative of fans that don't know or pay attention to the games

Reactions: BoilerRingside
Terry is certainly conditioned enough to play the whole game, esp when you factor in TV breaks, quarter breaks, etc. I'll give you Layden, at least for yesterday. if she's not hitting shots (granted she only took 4), she's not as useful. I'd have given Swanson some more time, personally.

Terry is certainly conditioned enough to play the whole game, esp when you factor in TV breaks, quarter breaks, etc. I'll give you Layden, at least for yesterday. if she's not hitting shots (granted she only took 4), she's not as useful. I'd have given Swanson some more time, personally.
According to KG Swanson is not up to speed on Defense as they had an intensive on it before the season and Swanson was injured. They apparently don't practice just generic defense through the season................... take that for what you will.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
According to KG Swanson is not up to speed on Defense as they had an intensive on it before the season and Swanson was injured. They apparently don't practice just generic defense through the season................... take that for what you will.
I know that she didn't get cleared until very close to start of the season. I personally could live with some defensive lapses (esp since we get those from the players who didn't miss any practice) for a couple more minutes from a probably effective scorer. and I don't dislike Layden at all, you just have to use her within her strengths.

Reactions: MichaelRR
I know that she didn't get cleared until very close to start of the season. I personally could live with some defensive lapses (esp since we get those from the players who didn't miss any practice) for a couple more minutes from a probably effective scorer. and I don't dislike Layden at all, you just have to use her within her strengths.
according to coach, Layden is the teams best defender, so the drop off from her to Swanson could be substantial.

according to coach, Layden is the teams best defender, so the drop off from her to Swanson could be substantial.
fair enough, and I do think Layden is a decent defender. my initial response was to Davie talking about her only scoring 2 points for the game and him asking why no more minutes from the bench. Personally I'd have given Swanson a little more run, hoping for some points even with her defensive liabilities, on a day when Layden wasn't scoring or really even shooting.

Reactions: MichaelRR
fair enough, and I do think Layden is a decent defender. my initial response was to Davie talking about her only scoring 2 points for the game and him asking why no more minutes from the bench. Personally I'd have given Swanson a little more run, hoping for some points even with her defensive liabilities, on a day when Layden wasn't scoring or really even shooting.
I am stuck between wanting to believe Katie Gearlds can handle the most basic task of putting the best players on the floor and the growing feeling of unease wondering why Hardin got so many minutes when she played the last two years like Layden is playing this year, without the big games scoring. Its really starting to look like being coach's favorite gets you a great deal of unearned playing time at the expense of the rest of the team. IF that feeling is in fact the case, we have another coach that will fail at this level.

I am stuck between wanting to believe Katie Gearlds can handle the most basic task of putting the best players on the floor and the growing feeling of unease wondering why Hardin got so many minutes when she played the last two years like Layden is playing this year, without the big games scoring. It’s really starting to look like being coach's favorite gets you a great deal of unearned playing time at the expense of the rest of the team. IF that feeling is in fact the case, we have another coach that will fail at this level.
Hardin shot the ball because she was a shooter. She was a volume shooter. Madison chooses not to take shots because she wants to protect her stat line with leading the Big Ten in 3’s. What she fails to realize is that she has the fewest attempts taken and therefore is she truly leading? No. It’s like if she misses, she’s done taking a shot. Thats not competing. Thats taking care of #33. Give Swanson more minutes. She isn’t selfish. Jones, Swanson and Layden Jr come off the bench so use them. Madison hurts the team by being selfish and indifferent. Last one to a huddle, last one to help a teammate up, doesn’t even congratulate her teammates half the time. I was at the IU game when she blew off Jones’s half court shot. I was there last night to watch her stand apart from the starters when they huddled around checking on MA. Madison could really learn a lot from MA on how to compete. MA played with a broken nose and STILL gave more effort and interest than she did. Never seen an athlete that cares less. That would be such a draining personality to play with and coach.

Give Swanson and Layden Jr. more minutes! At least they compete!

40 minutes is crazy though, 32-35 is enough, if the bench is that bad that’s on the Coach, 15 players are allowed, should be a little more depth.

Reactions: HoopDad317
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT