ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs MSU Thread

Obviously a huge game because I definitely feel like we can win this. MSU doesn’t start anyone who is classified as a F/C. I would say Purdue will have the size advantage but Harper has struggle against smaller quicker teams in the past. The key will be how MSU shoots.

Reactions: Brya31
16-7 MSU halfway through 1st quarter. Their press and swarming defense has us out of synch and throwing up shots just to beat the shot clock.

I try not to complain too much about production values on BTN+ since they are students but the camera work on this game has been pathetic. At one point the camera continued to show an empty half court while the action had long left.

Last edited:
43-31 MSU at the half. Stevenson and bench scoreless, while we have 12 TOs and were outrebounded 18-15. Looks like we won't get a road win here either.

73-49 MSU after 3 quarters, its officially a rout. Not surprising to anyone that paid attention to how these teams are playing. Purdue's next good chance for a win is home against UIll as I expect to get pounded by OSU in Mackey and Nebraska in Lincoln.

Terry 8 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists. Caitlyn 6 points and 2 rebounds but 4 TOs. Stevenson just got her first basket to start the 4th for 2 points and no rebounds........ that and 19 TOs is the story of the game

FINAL MSU 97-Purdue 70. 20 TOs, 20 fouls, outrebounded 35-29. All the bench got lots of minutes, only Swanson looked good. Jones 2 points, 2 TOs, 4 PFs, 3 assists Swanson 12 points on 11 shots. Madison was perfect from the field, but only deigned to take 3 shots in the first half and none in second.

There was no visible defensive effort. Layup after layup interspersed with wide open threes. This looked like a pick up scrimmage with no rhyme or reason to the Boilermaker defense OR offense. Very disapointing this late in the season.

There was no visible defensive effort. Layup after layup interspersed with wide open threes. This looked like a pick up scrimmage with no rhyme or reason to the Boilermaker defense OR offense. Very disapointing this late in the season.
This team has no heart away from Mackey. I am about ready to tell Madison take your COVID year somewhere else after another half assed effort from her.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Just now logged in after getting home, to check on status of this game. Ouch!
After attending the IU game on Sunday and seeing the energy and, dare I say, decent basketball skills and execution, this sounds like a complete 180 ! WTH??

Absolute disappointment. Just no rhyme or reason to their pattern of good play one week, ugly play the next. What a regression this season has been.

Have to agree with your opening sentence here - no heart away from Mackey. Nailed it.
MSU had three players miss the game with minor injuries, so they had to tone down their press thank the gods.....Even after KG pulled our starters MSU could not as they only had 9 dressed and their two best players tonight both with career highs were bench players.

Last edited:
Like I’ve stated, time for these 5th/6th year players to move on, seems like they’re mailing it in this year, no excuse to give up near 100 points to a average/injured Michigan State team. It will be nice to see a bunch of new faces next year, hopefully, they play with passion and desire, I haven’t seen it with this bunch this year.

Reactions: HoopDad317
Like I’ve stated, time for these 5th/6th year players to move on, seems like they’re mailing it in this year, no excuse to give up near 100 points to a average/injured Michigan State team. It will be nice to see a bunch of new faces next year, hopefully, they play with passion and desire, I haven’t seen it with this bunch this year.
We really only had 3 players that wanted to shoot the ball tonight and go after MSU: Ellis, Terry, and Swanson. Our bigs were ineffective, with all 5 of Stevenson's points and both rebounds coming after it was a blowout and Caitlyn having more TOs (4) than Rebounds (which was ZERO) to go with 6 points on 7 shots. Now apparently Caitlyn was nursing an injury, but you would think with even a little effort she could have fallen into ONE rebound. Caitlyn did get 4 blocks, so she was at least active at something. Jones in 17 minutes mostly picked up fouls (4) with 3 assists 2 TOs and 2 points on 1-4 shooting. McKenna and Monson went scoreless, missing all their shots, which was better than Alaina and Mila who did not take a shot but each got 2 FTs. Alaina got 2 RBs, Mila got fouled and committed a foul, and nothing else.

We really only had 3 players that wanted to shoot the ball tonight and go after MSU: Ellis, Terry, and Swanson. Our bigs were ineffective, with all 5 of Stevenson's points and both rebounds coming after it was a blowout and Caitlyn having more TOs (4) than Rebounds (which was ZERO) to go with 6 points on 7 shots. Now apparently Caitlyn was nursing an injury, but you would think with even a little effort she could have fallen into ONE rebound. Caitlyn did get 4 blocks, so she was at least active at something. Jones in 17 minutes mostly picked up fouls (4) with 3 assists 2 TOs and 2 points on 1-4 shooting. McKenna and Monson went scoreless, missing all their shots, which was better than Alaina and Mila who did not take a shot but each got 2 FTs. Alaina got 2 RBs, Mila got fouled and committed a foul, and nothing else.
Kudos to Terry, that’s a nice statline offensively, not sure if she played D tonight, doesn’t seem like many were interested in it lol.

Kudos to Terry, that’s a nice statline offensively, not sure if she played D tonight, doesn’t seem like many were interested in it lol.
MSU tried doing what you erroneously claimed all teams did, play way off of her. She made them pay. When teams play her straight up she is not a good enough shooter to make many and smart enough, unlike some of our fans, to know her limits and play within her abilities. She played D, hence the 4 fouls, but she wasn't getting as much help as she should have. MSU has a motion offense with a lot of movement and passing and its easy to fall asleep on D because no one stands around waiting for the ball, unlike our High School set play offense from the 90s.

This team has no heart away from Mackey. I am about ready to tell Madison take your COVID year somewhere else after another half assed effort from her.
MSU is a good team. They outhustled us, competed, converted shots, made adjustments on D, were unselfish and played together. Us? We have a disjointed offense, a disengaged defense, lack of any kind of drive from most players, have little interest in playing together and are checked out. Ellis had TOs but again she plays hard all the time. Caitlyn again isn’t physically fit to withstand the pace of MSU and because of fatigue had trouble converting and playing D. MA fouled out but again, she plays hard and last night she looked like a freshman, not able to gain control of her body etc, but this will come for her. All season she’s spoiled us by not looking like a freshman, but last night she did. She’ll be fine. Terry had a good stat line. Madison quit shooting when she got the stat line she wanted as she doesn’t compete against teams she can’t dominate. Defense is horrible because she too is no longer able to handle the pace. Instead of being shown up, she quits. Pretty obvious. All the time. Acts like she doesn’t care about anything and it shows. Tired of watching her lack of heart and hustle. Give me a freshman who wants to play anyday. Like Sophie Swanson. Jones. MA. My guess is CKG knows Madison is not returning and is going to begin investing in the future. Good move by CKG. McKenna was the only Boiler with a positive “+/-“. And played more minutes than 3 starters. While she didn’t do anything phenomenal , she also did enough to stay in the game and get valuable minutes. She also plays much harder than her sister and I’ll support that effort any day. Good job McKenna.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT