ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. PSU Thread

Game is close, 15-12, but PSU is getting their pace and Purdue has 6 TOs already with 1 minute to go in the quarter.

18-16 PSU after 1. Purdue not shooting well and have had a few bad turnovers but are hanging in there so far.

18-16 PSU up, Alaina actually had a really nice post up move after she got the ball down low and no one gave her a passing lane to get rid of it. Mila, Alaina, Jones, Smith, and Swanson all got minutes in the first quarter. Ellis with 2 fouls already, and Stevenson with 6 points, Jones with 4.

28-21 PSU, Purdue has 10 TOs with 4 minutes left in first half and without Jones on the floor we look like we are playing in mud compared to PSU. Our offense in the half court is either get it low to Stevenson, or turn it over, including at least one 5 second call.

Reactions: Brya31
Somehow....someway.....Coach Gearlds has to find a way to get this team to value the basketball. Some of these turnovers are maddening.

28-21 PSU 4:44 left in the second. Purdue still cold from outside.

Jones has been Purdue's most effective player on offense but she has 2 fouls now.

Reactions: Gesysp and Brya31
37-27 PSU at the half. Ellis and Caitlyn with 2 fouls, Jones with 3. PSU has 2 players with 2 fouls including their leader Marisa. But they are using 11 players, 10 have scored. Transfer from UVa Valladay has 11 for PSU to lead all scoreres. Purdue is led by Stevenson with 10 and Jones with 9. Rashunda is showing out well in this run and gun style, but she keeps getting caught reaching with 3 fouls in 11 minutes of playing time.

PSU is playing a lot of small ball, switching every screen, but that is what is giving Stevenson so many good looks down low as she is usually one of the 2 biggest players on the floor. Caitlyn would be the other, but she is MIA so far; 17 minutes, 2 pfs, 2 shots, 2 points, 6 rbs, but 4 TOs. She needs to put her hard hat on and get down in the paint to give Stevenson some help. Also 0-4 on threes and Madison after missing two has seemingly quite looking to shoot whithering under PSU's intense pressure in full AND half court.

It sure looks like #0 for Penn State has gray hair. How old is she?
Owusu is a 5th year senior in her second game in a PSU uniform coming off an injury while at UVa. Started her career at UMd. Pretty sure the silver comes out of a bottle or can.... ;)

Owusu is a 5th year senior in her second game in a PSU uniform coming off an injury while at UVa. Started her career at UMd. Pretty sure the silver comes out of a bottle or can.... ;)
I remember her at Maryland, she was really good in the day, she’s got 11 tonight, she’s talented.

Reactions: MichaelRR
58 - 40 PSU up. Purdue 17 TOs and MA got zero points in that quarter. Ellis and Caitlyn heated up a little, and Jones got back into the flow. Jones 12, MA, 10, Caitlyn and Ellis with 7 each. 1 of 11 from 3s for Purdue while PSU is 6 of 17.

Purdue isn’t good, some of these Sr’s made no improvement over last year, heck, some look worse, can’t have that.

Reactions: Gesysp
Purdue isn’t good, some of these Sr’s made no improvement over last year, heck, some look worse, can’t have that.
In this game none of the returners look better than last year. Our offense is stagnant and our defense keeps losing players.

We have held Kapinus and Marisa to 2 points each, those have been their leading scorers most of the year. But the rest of PSU has picked them up, with the transfers Owusu and Valladay leading the way with 15 and 18 respectively.

We have held Kapinus and Marisa to 2 points each, those have been their leading scorers most of the year. But the rest of PSU has picked them up, with the transfers Owusu and Valladay leading the way with 15 and 18 respectively.
You can tell Owusu when healthy is a helluve player, I totally forgot about her.

In this game none of the returners look better than last year. Our offense is stagnant and our defense keeps losing players.
Jayla doing nothing really hurts, that was a Miss Basketball, we were told how much she’s improved, sure not seeing it tonight.

Reactions: HoopDad317
68-50 PSU. Caitlyn has showed up and gotten down in the blocks this half scoring 10 points so far this half, but now Stevenson has disappeared. TOs have slowed down, 19 currently, but our shooting is still ice cold.

For whatever reason Jayla Smith's confidence is just totally shot. She in no way resembles the player I watched when she was in high school. She was a good shooter then but an even better driver. She was really effective taking the ball to the hole and finishing through contact.

For whatever reason Jayla Smith's confidence is just totally shot. She in no way resembles the player I watched when she was in high school. She was a good shooter then but an even better driver. She was really effective taking the ball to the hole and finishing through contact.
Not everyone can make the step up from high school to college. Smith looks like someone that peaked in her hs career and simply has no higher ceiling for the college level.

Cut the lead to 12, 68-56 but too little too late.

PSU wins 80-67. Massive amounts of turnovers and cold shooting spell doom when you are on the road.
The freshmen acounted for 42 of our 67 points....... Jones was in her element in a fast paced up and down game with 23 points on 6-13 shooting and 10-12 from the line. 19 TOs 20 fouls.... we were back footed all night. Madison completely disappeared 0-4 shooting, three shots in the 1st quarter. Terry 0-2 Ellis 3-10, Stevenson 3-11, Smith 1-4....... We are not going to win games with those kinds of shooting. I am not seeing us win in the next 4 games unless this team completely changes their aggression and execution.

I would kind of like to see Coach Geralds change up the starting line up next game. I would move Jones to starting point guard and move Terry to the 2 or 3 with either Ellis or Madison and of course Stevenson and C. Harper in the frontcourt. Whichever one that doesn't start between Ellis and Layden would be my first off the bench. I would probably lean toward starting Layden. Then use Ellis as my energizer off the bench.

I think it's time for a little shake up. I would also probably increase Swanson's minutes. Especially in games when Madison is not hitting her shots.

There is no question we are a lousy shooting team. Even the supposed good shooters miss badly. Very sloppy with the ball, but then again so are most woman's teams.
I am in impressed with the freshmen. They Aren't superstars but by next year they will be much better players. Hopefully with the incoming new players and a really good transfer or two we might Make some real progress towards being good

I would kind of like to see Coach Geralds change up the starting line up next game. I would move Jones to starting point guard and move Terry to the 2 or 3 with either Ellis or Madison and of course Stevenson and C. Harper in the frontcourt. Whichever one that doesn't start between Ellis and Layden would be my first off the bench. I would probably lean toward starting Layden. Then use Ellis as my energizer off the bench.

I think it's time for a little shake up. I would also probably increase Swanson's minutes. Especially in games when Madison is not hitting her shots.
I would like to see a change, not sure putting Terry at 2 is wise though, she can’t shoot. Start Jones at the 2, she’s not afraid to launch the ball lol. Ellis can be the first off the bench, instant offense. Agreed about Swanson, play her 15-20 minutes a game going forward. Smith and Reynolds have been huge disappointments, expected a ton more out of them. Hard to believe Reynolds can’t beat out or at least split minutes with Harper.

I would like to see a change, not sure putting Terry at 2 is wise though, she can’t shoot. Start Jones at the 2, she’s not afraid to launch the ball lol. Ellis can be the first off the bench, instant offense. Agreed about Swanson, play her 15-20 minutes a game going forward. Smith and Reynolds have been huge disappointments, expected a ton more out of them. Hard to believe Reynolds can’t beat out or at least split minutes with Harper.
Honestly I just want the ball out of Terry's hands all the time. Her unforced turnovers drive me up the wall. But she does a lot of good things too so I would still like her to be on the court. Some of her passes have absolutely no chance of being completed.

I don't hate starting Jones at point at this point. Terry pretty much needs to be the 1 or the 3. SF is where she played at Illinois and was a scorer. Madison can play the 2. Ellis first off the bench, Swanson 2nd. Not sure I would play anyone else in a competitive game at this point, I just don't feel anyone else has deserved minutes at this point in the season.

Honestly I just want the ball out of Terry's hands all the time. Her unforced turnovers drive me up the wall. But she does a lot of good things too so I would still like her to be on the court. Some of her passes have absolutely no chance of being completed.
Terry is the only boiler close to a 2-1 A/TO ratio (other than McKenna at 9A/3TO) 96 A to 50 TO. Agree that some of her TOs are unforced and are real head scratchers. Jones is 20A to 24TO but she needs the experience and minutes to develop, because I really don't want to start a true freshman at point next year, because we don't have someone like Hidalgo coming in.

I don't hate starting Jones at point at this point. Terry pretty much needs to be the 1 or the 3. SF is where she played at Illinois and was a scorer. Madison can play the 2. Ellis first off the bench, Swanson 2nd. Not sure I would play anyone else in a competitive game at this point, I just don't feel anyone else has deserved minutes at this point in the season.
Is Reynolds that bad that in a season that’s going nowhere she doesn’t play? Maybe I give Smith one last run as well, I’m mystified by her play, she’s had good games in the past.

Is Reynolds that bad that in a season that’s going nowhere she doesn’t play? Maybe I give Smith one last run as well, I’m mystified by her play, she’s had good games in the past.
I still think it's confidence with Jayla.

I not sure what to think about Reynolds either. She has some skill and is a decent athlete with size. Maybe focus or commitment?....I don't know. Whatever the reason she hasn't been able to secure a spot in the rotation.

Even though the team hasn't played well the past few weeks. I can say with confidence that Coach Gearlds, her staff and the players haven't given up on the season like some fans have. So I wouldn't expect the coach to sit the upperclassmen and play the youngsters anytime soon like some have been calling for. I'm sure the goal is still to win as many games as possible and make the Dance.

Last edited:
I still think it's confidence with Jayla.

I not sure what to think about Reynolds either. She has some skill and is a decent athlete with size. Maybe focus or commitment?....I don't know. Whatever the reason she hasn't been able to secure a spot in the rotation.

Even though the team hasn't played well the past few weeks. I can say with confidence that Coach Gearlds, her staff and the players haven't given up on the season like some fans have. So I wouldn't expect the coach to sit the upperclassmen and play the youngsters anytime soon like some have been calling for. I'm sure the goal is still to win as many games as possible and make the Dance.
We've already played our way out of the dance. Short of winning out or winning the BTT we aren't in contention for a bid. That's before we lose the next 4 games in a row. This team has to pick it up and start playing much better to get a WNIT bid, because right now they are closer to finishing 12-19 than having a winning record.

Reactions: Brya31

Tell me if you think any of these 5 players have earned minutes this season, without looking up who's stats are who's: Number them 1-5 for a response if you think any of them have EARNED minutes:

2023-24 Purdue Women's Basketball
Combined Team Statistics
All games per game average
games minutes points reb assist steal block TO FG % FT% 3P%

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT