ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs ND

Thanks. You just proved my point. ND does not want to play Purdue, for various reasons, but none of those reasons are because of B1G scheduling limitations.

No ! you are correct. I forgot to mention, I believe OSU or some other BIG 10 team did schedule a non conference game in the later part of their schedule, which seemed out of the norm, but it did happen. it also happened in basketball as well.

but basically it's about the money. We have the BIG 10 network. We share. ND has their own network. they don't share their football revenue. And their games are dictated by what their TV network wants. it's bad for TV business for Notre Dame to play Purdue. A loss to Michigan or USC would be ok. but a loss to Purdue could place ND under tremendous financial distress as it could mean the difference between an $8 million Bowl game and a $1 million bowl game payout. it would be a game of tremendous pressure for Notre Dame to win. And our track record reflects a lot of Purdue victories.

And rather than taking a chance, ND chose the safer path.

Think about it. Notre Dame playing Purdue at their house is not going to increase attendance or revenue and if the game is a road game, financially, ND is better off playing OSU, Michigan, texas, tennesee penn St etc, to draw from both a larger crowd and TV revenue generated. it makes a lot of cent$$$$ for notere Dam to not schedule purdue.

An expected reply!
Last I checked, this is a Purdue board, not a ND board. Why does a supposed Purdue alum and/or fan feel the need to denigrate it’s football program and its world-class Engineering program and then slobber all over the ‘nads of the Leprechaun? Maybe because you’re not really a Purdue alum, let alone a fan?

I know actual ND alums who are considerably more gracious and cool than zonairish. I respect ND’s history of being a football powerhouse up through the Holtz years and a very good undergrad academic institution, although it’s more expensive than it should be. Also, not a fan of the school’s Jesuit underpinnings.

Reactions: boileralum07
No ! you are correct. I forgot to mention, I believe OSU or some other BIG 10 team did schedule a non conference game in the later part of their schedule, which seemed out of the norm, but it did happen. it also happened in basketball as well.

but basically it's about the money. We have the BIG 10 network. We share. ND has their own network. they don't share their football revenue. And their games are dictated by what their TV network wants. it's bad for TV business for Notre Dame to play Purdue. A loss to Michigan or USC would be ok. but a loss to Purdue could place ND under tremendous financial distress as it could mean the difference between an $8 million Bowl game and a $1 million bowl game payout. it would be a game of tremendous pressure for Notre Dame to win. And our track record reflects a lot of Purdue victories.

Think about it. Notre Dame playing Purdue at their house is not going to increase attendance or revenue and if the game is a road game, financially, ND is better off playing OSU, Michigan, texas, tennesee penn St etc, to draw from both a larger crowd and TV revenue generated. it makes a lot of cent$$$$ for notere Dam to not schedule purdue.
The BIG’s members make more TV money per school than ND does. Even little old Purdue. BIG viewership is the largest in the nation, including the SEC. That’s a fact. ND is a cheap facsimile of what it used to be in football. NBC is not doing that well in its ND deal either.

The BIG’s members make more TV money per school than ND does. Even little old Purdue. BIG viewership is the largest in the nation, including the SEC. That’s a fact. ND is a cheap facsimile of what it used to be in football. NBC is not doing that well in its ND deal either.

ND doesn't share it's TV revenue with anybody. The BIG 10 is the wealthiest college network, but it shares everything. Notre Dame's TV deal is still a lot bigger than what the BIG 10 network shares. and when the BIG 10 expands in the future to 16 teams, that piece of the pie for each school will decrease, not increase. and ND also receives revenue from the ACC. While the BIG 10 network deal is very generous, ND made a smarter financial deal by remaining an independent football team, and allowing its other programs to be part of the ACC. Seems pretty smart to me.

ND is also looking at joining the BIG 10 for hockey. Why? Money!

and yes, I don't like Purdue students or alumni berating other university's academic programs or students. I believe it's beneath us and displays your bias and also ignorance. I think we should take the high road. I hold 4 degrees from 4 different schools, and have taught at three colleges/universities. Bad mouthing another university's academic programs is something an uneducated 8th grader would say . My house is bigger than your double wide. stick.

and no I never understood the hatred toward IU as a student or an alum. and berating Rose Holman just amplifies your ignorance of the excellence in education that is provided by that school.

Reactions: zonairish
and if you have doubts if I am a Purdue alumni or not, My name is "recorded" in several places. I was a member of the Purdue Varsity Glee Club; not the Purdue football team. As such, I probably have a different perception of athletics and sports fans than most.

ND doesn't share it's TV revenue with anybody. The BIG 10 is the wealthiest college network, but it shares everything. Notre Dame's TV deal is still a lot bigger than what the BIG 10 network shares. and when the BIG 10 expands in the future to 16 teams, that piece of the pie for each school will decrease, not increase. and ND also receives revenue from the ACC. While the BIG 10 network deal is very generous, ND made a smarter financial deal by remaining an independent football team, and allowing its other programs to be part of the ACC. Seems pretty smart to me.

and yes, I don't like Purdue students or alumni berating other university's academic programs or students. I believe it's beneath us and displays your bias and also ignorance. I think we should take the high road. I hold 4 degrees from 4 different schools, and have taught at three colleges/universities. Bad mouthing another university's academic programs is something an uneducated 8th grader would say . My house is bigger than your double wide. stick.

and no I never understood the hatred toward IU as a student or an alum. and berating Rose Holman just amplifies your ignorance of the excellence in education that is provided by that school.

I have tried to take the high road also

NDs NBC deal is not bigger than the B1G per school. They make less TV money per year than every school in the B1G and SEC (and TX bc of Longhorn Network).
Now here’s what might surprise you: the Fighting Irish only get $15 million annually from NBC, thanks to their super-exclusive football package. That means that the Fighting Irish are actually making less money in television rights as an independent than they would from being in a conference. That fact would probably come as a huge shock to everyday college football fans who assume Notre Dame is printing their own money thanks to the NBC deal, but it does show how lucrative conference networks can be. (Hello, Jim Delany and his $20 million bonus!)

The B1G also increased $$ shares by adding MD and RUTG. They aren't going to add schools who don't add to the overall pie.

And ND announced they were joining the B1G for hockey in March 2016. They have been an 'Affiliate Member' since July 1 2017. They've already played an entire season.

Clueless post is clueless.

And yes, it does get tiresome listening to Purdue fans bash other college's academic programs. At last glance, Purdue's academic programs are no longer the best in the world, including our engineering programs. Even Rose Holman is rated higher than Purdue in some engineering degrees.

Rose Holman does not even make the top 500 engineering programs in the world. Purdue is number 25 in this ranking.

https://www.timeshighereducation.co...gth/-1/sort_by/rank/sort_order/asc/cols/stats

Here is a ranking of top 50 programs for a Bachelor degrees in engineering,

https://www.collegechoice.net/rankings/best-engineering-degrees/

Purdue is ranked 2nd.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
In your opinion. That said it is one metric. I am sure there are others. I am sure we can garner a metric that will closely prove your point. Also sure you can game any metric. Point is you were trying to bash Notre Dame as a school. Not sure why. So I was just pointing out what USN&WR said. I am positive if you take Calculus 1 at your local community college the course is not that different than at Harvard, Notre Dame or Purdue. It is not like schools like Harvard Notre Dame Purdue provide secret info that make you far superior in knowledge than small state school or a community college. However, it is more likely that they accept students that have done superior at a HS level. So the students feed off each other.

Good grief, dude.

I've been away all day, but dayum; Talk about wanting to get the last word!

So, let's recap your arguments:
  1. Discontinuing the Purdue/ND series was about the money. Well, no. No, it wasn't, and it was demonstrated that it wasn't.
  2. it's all because ND couldn't get to Purdue in the first 3 games of the season, which is a B1G rule. Well, no . . . no it isn't.
  3. It's all because Purdue insists on 7 home games. Well, no. . . no it isn't.
you come here bashing Purdue, and when people keep calling bullsh*t you get your panties in a wad.

Hint: This is a PURDUE forum. If you post sh*t that's incorrect, especially when it relates to Purdue, you're going to get called on it. Repeatedly. Don't like it? Stop. Leave. Do something else. But make no mistake, your crap isn't going to be tolerated.

THIS ! Purdue fans care a lot more about wanting to play ND than Notre Dame fans care about playing Purdue. It's kind of like going to the beach on a hot afternoon. Would you rather go to the Indiana Dunes? Or would you rather go to Florida or Hawaii? The choice is simple. Although there would be a Purdue fan saying he'd go to the Indiana Dunes siting it is more cost effective!

I don't know where you get your info.

I couldn't care less. Leave them off the schedule. I know MANY Purdue fans who are in agreement.

I can agree with many of Zona's points. Some of you just love to argue. And many of you lack the desire to see things from another person's or team's perspective. The overall driving force is the MONEY.

Norte Dame has turned down several lesser Bowl Game invitations in the past because the payout wouldn't equal the cost. Notre Dame turned down several invitations to join the BIG 10 in the past because of our conference revenue sharing.

Notre Dame has a national TV package and it is probably dictated to them by their network to play nationally oriented and followed teams like USC and Stanford and Michigan. Let's face it, people outside of Indiana when they turn on the TV to watch a Notre Dame game would rather them play somebody other than Purdue. I could see their network wanting ND to play OSU, mich, Texas, USC, Florida, penn st, Alabama purely for the name and tv audience. Nobody in Utah is going to want to watch no verses Purdue. It's not about the level of competition. It's about the name of the school and recognition by the casual fan.

He does make a point about scheduling. ND does have to play games against ACC teams. And yes, Purdue is playing NW the first game of the year. But when was the last time Purdue played a non-conference game as one of their 3 last games of the year? Purdue would never schedule ND as their last game. So ND has to play somebody.

A point that was not made. As an independent, for ND to get a possible invitation into the championship series, it has to beef up its schedule against tough opponents, and also have 11+ wins. If ND doesn't have a win against a quality team, it won't be considered for the national championship series. And if it doesn't have at least 11 wins, it can also forget it. ND needs to play teams like Mich and USC and win to have a chance of a big bowl invite. Beating a 6-6 Purdue team does nothing to help the. A loss to Purdue would be a season killer financially. So based on their ACC commitment of 5games and their commitments to USC, navy and Stanford, ND has 4 games to play a couple of elite teams to brag about when Bowl selection comes, and a couple of gimmes in order to ensure a 11-12 win season. Ball st and vandy are those gimme games. Mich is the national recognition game. Playing Purdue would not be a national recognition game to the bowl selection committee or generate much tv revenue or be a gimme game either. Maybe in the future, when Purdue is a BIG 10 conference title contender like UW, it would be more appealing to Purdue.

Something that has often been said to me by non-Purdue fans. Playing Notre Dame was always a big thing and big game and rivalry for Purdue fans. But Notre Dame fans point to USC as their rival. And if you're a Notre Dame fan or alum, who would you rather see Notre Dame play and beat? Purdue? Or USC and Michigan.

Anybody with intelligence knows why Ball st is on Notre Dame's schedule. It provides the opportunity for a 55-7 blowout victory. It boosts their ratings, and provides a lot of opportunities for highlight reel plays of long touchdowns.

And yes, it does get tiresome listening to Purdue fans bash other college's academic programs. At last glance, Purdue's academic programs are no longer the best in the world, including our engineering programs. Even Rose Holman is rated higher than Purdue in some engineering degrees.

As for Notre Dame, it's simply about the money and what their TV contract dictates. And it's the same for Purdue. Purdue and the BIG 10 bowed down to the TV network to add night games and games on other nights besides Saturdays for the TV revenue. The TV revenue ruined our basketball schedule. Just ask the coaches.

your points have been discussed ad nauseum, and the theories have been shot down.
Money? No. Just look who they've added.
Tougher schedule? No. Just look who they've added.

you say they want a tougher schedule, but they need "gimme games".

Maybe you just want to argue....

Hate to break it to you all, because we as Purdue fans can't seem to get over this, but Notre Dame does not truly care about us. It was pretty evident when they dropped us. I can say this as being someone who's lived 6 miles away from their campus and go a few games a year there (my friend has season tix). I've also ran into quite a few fellow Purdue fans during this stretch at their games then I care to admit.

I don't know what there is to "get over", other than the lies spread about why the series was discontinued. It wasn't a Purdue decision, it was a ND decision. And I'm not going to sit by while some ND fan randomly grabs a series of excuses, bouncing from one to another as they all get shot to h*ll.

ND doesn't care about us? So what? The feeling is mutual. I don't know a single Purdue fan who wants them back on the schedule. Not a one. But, that's just me and my family, friends and acquaintances.

I don't know where you get your info.

I couldn't care less. Leave them off the schedule. I know MANY Purdue fans who are in agreement.
No offense bud...but I hope you are wrong. Everyone thinks the decline in PU football began when Haz took over but in reality it is clear that the demise in solid recruiting probably started in 08' shortly after Jack Swarbrick became ND AD.When he and Burke were unable to agree on a continuing home/home series, it hurt our recruiting ALOT. Our slow death spiral can be traced to those failed negotiations

Don't kid yourself-Elite Midwest recruits want to play against ND because of the prestige,tradition,high profile character of the games, bragging rights and cachet associated with competing against them on national TV. Substituting VA Tech, Marshall or TCU is little consolation to a 4* kid from Chi, NJ,OH or Indy

Hopefully Brohm has "righted our sinking ship" but I really think there too many ND haters on this site that are blinded by their extreme dislike of any mention of ND....

No offense bud...but I hope you are wrong. Everyone thinks the decline in PU football began when Haz took over but in reality it is clear that the demise in solid recruiting probably started in 08' shortly after Jack Swarbrick became ND AD.When he and Burke were unable to agree on a continuing home/home series, it hurt our recruiting ALOT. Our slow death spiral can be traced to those failed negotiations

Don't kid yourself-Elite Midwest recruits want to play against ND because of the prestige,tradition,high profile character of the games, bragging rights and cachet associated with competing against them on national TV. Substituting VA Tech, Marshall or TCU is little consolation to a 4* kid from Chi, NJ,OH or Indy

Hopefully Brohm has "righted our sinking ship" but I really think there too many ND haters on this site that are blinded by their extreme dislike of any mention of ND....
I’ve never heard one person say the downfall in our recruiting is due to not playing Notre Dame. I’m officially onboard with wishing we played them but I’m not losing sleep over it.

I’ve never heard one person say the downfall in our recruiting is due to not playing Notre Dame. I’m officially onboard with wishing we played them but I’m not losing sleep over it.
Not the only reason but certainly one of several reasons. Somewhat myopic view to dismiss loss of ND rivalry game every year as inconsequential. Oh can also track season attendance decline to that decision too.

The last time up until the 2017 season, I was proud to say I was a boilermaker was the 2012 last second loss at ND - 20-17 ( 12-1 record) and the 2013 nite game at Ross Ade where we competed to the end but lost by a touchdown. PU was relevant. ESPN, newspaper, social media etc discussed our team adnaseum for 2-3 days after those games. Leaving ND stadium in 2012, opposing fans complemented the effort- after the 2013 ND game I sensed the team quit on
Haz. I suppose I have different memories of the shillelaghs series but have no doubt having ND dump us was a huge setback to our stature in football world....

Not the only reason but certainly one of several reasons. Somewhat myopic view to dismiss loss of ND rivalry game every year as inconsequential. Oh can also track season attendance decline to that decision too.

The last time up until the 2017 season, I was proud to say I was a boilermaker was the 2012 last second loss at ND - 20-17 ( 12-1 record) and the 2013 nite game at Ross Ade where we competed to the end but lost by a touchdown. PU was relevant. ESPN, newspaper, social media etc discussed our team adnaseum for 2-3 days after those games. Leaving ND stadium in 2012, opposing fans complemented the effort- after the 2013 ND game I sensed the team quit on
Haz. I suppose I have different memories of the shillelaghs series but have no doubt having ND dump us was a huge setback to our stature in football world....
That was literally the last time you were proud to be a Boilermaker?

No, you're

Football is fun. Being a Boilermaker is much bigger than football.

there seems to be a lot of condescension in that reply, so I'll be brief.

I'm not speaking for recruits, bud. I'm speaking for myself. And I'll repeat: I couldn't care less if we play ND ever again. What's more, I doubt a Jeff Brohm recruit is going to be swayed by the presence (or lack thereof) of ND on the schedule.

"Elite midwest recruits" want to play for someone like Brohm. Not against someone like ND. Can it be a selling point? Yes. Is it a deal-breaker? No.

I won't kid myself if you won't, as well.

What's more, I don't understand the need to infuse this "hate" crap in posts. Being in disagreement these days somehow equates to "hate". It's a moronic trend, and those who use it don't strengthen their position.

Last edited:

Wha...?

I have to be up front: I can't relate to this.

But, to each his own.

I throw the yellow flag of bullsh*t.

I don't think a review of your comments about Purdue and Purdue academics would withstand your assertion that you've "taken the high road". Quite the opposite. Again . . . you need to just stop.
Please detail I never knocked Purdue or the academics of any school. Dissect word for word

Honestly, with our B1G schedule, I wouldn’t lose any sleep if ND was off of our schedule for good. I’m sorry but history shows it’s a loss WAY more often than it’s a win...

Reactions: boilerHup
Right.

that was the information from the Purdue admin.
again look at the thread or have the admin look at it Never criticized anyone's academics. I have not posted on Gold and black in a long time maybe since the last time the Irish and purdue have played. So show me the evidence.

again look at the thread or have the admin look at it Never criticized anyone's academics. I have not posted on Gold and black in a long time maybe since the last time the Irish and purdue have played. So show me the evidence.
I warned yee about falling down this rabbit hole o misery ;). I will say one thing, the cafeteria food at PU is 100x better than that crap they serve at ND because, well you know, Jesuits can’t cook a lick.

I warned yee about falling down this rabbit hole o misery ;). I will say one thing, the cafeteria food at PU is 100x better than that crap they serve at ND because, well you know, Jesuits can’t cook a lick.

That is why I worked pt at restaurant when I went to school. They are Holy Cross priests not jesuits

Reactions: PumpkinShuckers07
2004 in Notre Dame was unforgettable.

Orton to Stubblefield.

Watching their fans file out at the end of the 3rd quarter. Good times indeed. I think karma smacked us down later in 2004 for that beat down.

I cannot wait to see them next with Brohm on the sidelines.

I celebrated my birthday with my wife for her 1st trip ever to that stadium that game.

Kyle Ingraham's TD catch in the corner of the end zone, happened in front of our seats... then came Orton to Stubblefield.

At the end of the 3rd qtr, I held up 4 fingers and yelled: FINISH IT, BOILERS!!!! an Irish fan answered: put a fork in us (nd), we're done!

The pockets of Purdue fans scattered in the seats, as the game wound down, chanted in unison:
WE ARE.....PURDUE!! ....were the only
echoes shaken down from the sky that game.

As good as the game was, my wife swears she will never go back "to those splinter-filled 2x6 bleachers".

BOILER UP!!!!!

IRISH.......IRISH.......IRISH As a longtime Boiler and alum ND holds a special place in my heart. They both SUCK!!! Bunch of arrogant know it all pricks that wouldn't know how to be gracious house guests.

ND wanted a more national schedule- hence PU was dropped and then MSU

The reason they schedule Navy every year is not because they need a cupcake, it dates to WW11. The navy kept ND open during the war when most males except 4fs were in military. The navy set up an officer training program at ND and sent thousands of navy ensigns to South Bend from 42-45. ND has stated they are obligated to the US Navy and will never drop them . I for one respect that ….

And in 1946 no Big Ten teams would schedule Notre Dame, but Red Mackey and Purdue stepped up and began a series that continued uninterrupted until 2014.

I'd actually prefer Purdue not play them. It does nothing for Purdue. Recruits don't care whether you beat ND. Most recruits weren't even alive when Notre Dame was actually relevant.
Even though they don't compete as often for national championships, to say they are not relevant is shortsighted.

Just like us, ND is on a roll the last week on commitments. PU (14) commits= 25th-Rivals
ND (14) commits= 6th-Rivals & 4th 247.
Why do our own rival schools line up to try and schedule ND? Barry Alvarez is willing to give up a home date in Madison (losing partial concesions,hotel,restaurant, gas -w/resulting economic loss in Madison to play them in Green Bay in 2020?
No one but diehard ND haters think ND is "irrelevant"

Even though they don't compete as often for national championships, to say they are not relevant is shortsighted.

Just like us, ND is on a roll the last week on commitments. PU (14) commits= 25th-Rivals
ND (14) commits= 6th-Rivals & 4th 247.
Why do our own rival schools line up to try and schedule ND? Barry Alvarez is willing to give up a home date in Madison (losing partial concesions,hotel,restaurant, gas -w/resulting economic loss in Madison to play them in Green Bay in 2020?
No one but diehard ND haters think ND is "irrelevant"
No one but a true ND homer thinks ND has been relevant in the national championship discussion since the end of the Lou Holtz era. It seems like every time they play powerhouse programs in bowls in recent memory, they get smoked.

BTW, Barry Alvarez was a LB Coach and DC at ND under (you guessed it), Lou Holtz. Maybe Barry has a soft spot for ND? Maybe ND thinks that Wisky is "easy pickings"?

No one but a true ND homer thinks ND has been relevant in the national championship discussion since the end of the Lou Holtz era. It seems like every time they play powerhouse programs in bowls in recent memory, they get smoked.

BTW, Barry Alvarez was a LB Coach and DC at ND under (you guessed it), Lou Holtz. Maybe Barry has a soft spot for ND? Maybe ND thinks that Wisky is "easy pickings"?
I'm certainly not an ND Homer but I cant get over why so many think losing that series was a positive for Purdue Football?

My screen saver is an aerial view of the 2013 PU/ND game (last official sellout) I've noticed several of the current coaching staff and admin also use that picture routinely. Its no coincidence that once the Shilleagh Series was discontinued PU Football also became "irrelevant" until Brohm arrived....

I'm certainly not an ND Homer but I cant get over why so many think losing that series was a positive for Purdue Football?

My screen saver is an aerial view of the 2013 PU/ND game (last official sellout) I've noticed several of the current coaching staff and admin also use that picture routinely. Its no coincidence that once the Shilleagh Series was discontinued PU Football also became "irrelevant" until Brohm arrived....
Yeah, because Purdue hired a completely incompetent coach, perhaps?

Many alumni and fans like the idea of playing schools such as Louisville, Mizzou, Virginia Tech, and Boston College instead of ND. Beating teams from out-of-state (and from the ACC and SEC) helps our recruiting a bit, I think. It allows Purdue to credibly go into places that we might not have as much of an "in".

Since ND seems to think that they are "too good" to play Purdue regularly, I say screw 'em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT