ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs ND

Maybe. IIRC it was supposed to start back up in 2020 but ND pushed it back.

2004 in Notre Dame was unforgettable.

Orton to Stubblefield.

Watching their fans file out at the end of the 3rd quarter. Good times indeed. I think karma smacked us down later in 2004 for that beat down.

I cannot wait to see them next with Brohm on the sidelines.

would love to see a home and home again
Why Did ND kill the series, in essence, in the first place? Now I think Kelly is afraid of Brohm. I’m actually glad our series went on hiatus. It allows Purdue to play schools like Boston College, Missouri, Virginia Tech, TCU...

Why Did ND kill the series, in essence, in the first place? Now I think Kelly is afraid of Brohm. I’m actually glad our series went on hiatus. It allows Purdue to play schools like Boston College, Missouri, Virginia Tech, TCU...

Basically it happened because the agreement with the ACC. The ACC requires ND to play 5 games per season with the ACC conference and Notre Dame apparently will not give up USC, Navy and as of now Stanford. So that adds up to 8 games. So we only have 4 games open. Also, there are some hard requirements by the B10 how many games you must play against B10 members so creates a scheduling problems. So Notre Dame is trying to schedule different B10 programs as an alternative. For example this year we play Northwestern and Michigan. Next year we play Michigan only from the B10 and in 2020 we play Wisconsin only from the B10. LOL on Kelly being afraid of Brohm. Personally think Brohm is the best choice Purdue has made in coaching in a long time.

Reactions: krf3632
Basically it happened because the agreement with the ACC. The ACC requires ND to play 5 games per season with the ACC conference and Notre Dame apparently will not give up USC, Navy and as of now Stanford. So that adds up to 8 games. So we only have 4 games open. Also, there are some hard requirements by the B10 how many games you must play against B10 members so creates a scheduling problems. So Notre Dame is trying to schedule different B10 programs as an alternative. For example this year we play Northwestern and Michigan. Next year we play Michigan only from the B10 and in 2020 we play Wisconsin only from the B10. LOL on Kelly being afraid of Brohm. Personally think Brohm is the best choice Purdue has made in coaching in a long time.
That’s horse$hit. ND dropped Purdue and MSU, yet they can still see fit to play Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, OSU? What is so sacred about playing Stanford every season? Nothing. Purdue had one of the longest running series with ND. NDs scheduling excuses are disingenuous at best.

That’s horse$hit. ND dropped Purdue and MSU, yet they can still see fit to play Michigan, Wisconsin, Northwestern, OSU? What is so sacred about playing Stanford every season? Nothing. Purdue had one of the longest running series with ND. NDs scheduling excuses are disingenuous at best.

I am not a big fan of playing stanford year in year out but that is what the admin wants. Personally, I would like alternate that game with other P12 teams say Washington or Arizona for example. that said another Purdue poster pointed out we are playing Purdue in 2021 I believe and 2022 skip a year then play for about 5 years in a row. This is posted on another thread. So I hope that is true. Also, the B10 has some constraints on when you schedule games and how many games in the B10 must play so this creates scheduling problems when you want to have a great inter state game.

You are correct. For no other reason than tradition, I was disappointed to see ND take the action they did. We'll be fine without them and they'll be fine without us. It did, however, seem like there was an undisclosed reason on ND's end.

You are correct. For no other reason than tradition, I was disappointed to see ND take the action they did. We'll be fine without them and they'll be fine without us. It did, however, seem like there was an undisclosed reason on ND's end.
Undisclosed reason = They thought Purdue was below them. Some alums/subway alums said they were bored watching these games. For years ND killed Navy, yet no one said a word about it.

Reactions: BoilerBloodline
Undisclosed reason = They thought Purdue was below them. Some alums/subway alums said they were bored watching these games. For years ND killed Navy, yet no one said a word about it.
ND wanted a more national schedule- hence PU was dropped and then MSU

The reason they schedule Navy every year is not because they need a cupcake, it dates to WW11. The navy kept ND open during the war when most males except 4fs were in military. The navy set up an officer training program at ND and sent thousands of navy ensigns to South Bend from 42-45. ND has stated they are obligated to the US Navy and will never drop them . I for one respect that ….

Last edited:

The reason they schedule Navy every year is not because they need a cupcake, it dates to WW11. The navy kept ND open during the war when most males except 4fs were in military. The navy set up an officer training program at ND and sent thousands of navy ensigns to South Bend from 42-45. ND has stated they are obligated to the US Navy and will never drop them like us.

they "wanted a more national schedule".

On the surface, that doesn't wash. They're an independent. They can schedule 12 games a year all over the country. Nationally. What's more, it used to be teams could play 12 on the mainland, and a 13th in HI, but I don't know if that rule is still in effect. (How much more "national" could that get?!)

Unless you're an independent, nobody else can play 12 "nationally".

Not true at all. Purdue has always been a great contest. You may be jaded by some poor comments by some Irish fans but what you are saying is wrong. Most fans I know would love to have that series back. That said I think in the long run it will be cyclical type of scheduling.

Also, the B10 dictates that all members must play 9 B10 teams. So this puts a lot constraints on Purdue who and when they can schedule other non-conference schools. Additionally, the B10 has said it is OK to schedule FCS programs. So if you have to schedule 9 B10 teams then you only have 3 non-conference games. It also comes down to when you can do this and when Notre Dame can do this.

Not true at all. Purdue has always been a great contest. You may be jaded by some poor comments by some Irish fans but what you are saying is wrong. Most fans I know would love to have that series back. That said I think in the long run it will be cyclical type of scheduling.

Also, the B10 dictates that all members must play 9 B10 teams. So this puts a lot constraints on Purdue who and when they can schedule other non-conference schools. Additionally, the B10 has said it is OK to schedule FCS programs. So if you have to schedule 9 B10 teams then you only have 3 non-conference games. It also comes down to when you can do this and when Notre Dame can do this.

It's interesting to note, in the history of this storied series this has always been the case but never been an issue until recently.

Reactions: SDBoiler1
It's interesting to note, in the history of this storied series this has always been the case but never been an issue until recently.

Money and scheduling issues has been a problem of all programs now. B10, ACC, and Notre Dame want to optimize the money all other things such as tradition have been unfortunately changed not necessarily for the better. Here is to the future matchups

The reason they schedule Navy every year is not because they need a cupcake, it dates to WW11. The navy kept ND open during the war when most males except 4fs were in military. The navy set up an officer training program at ND and sent thousands of navy ensigns to South Bend from 42-45. ND has stated they are obligated to the US Navy and will never drop them like us.

they "wanted a more national schedule".

On the surface, that doesn't wash. They're an independent. They can schedule 12 games a year all over the country. Nationally. What's more, it used to be teams could play 12 on the mainland, and a 13th in HI, but I don't know if that rule is still in effect. (How much more "national" could that get?!)

Unless you're an independent, nobody else can play 12 "nationally".
They’re not truly an “independent” anymore. As a previous poster pointed out, they are a partial member of the ACC and are required to play a certain amount of ACC teams each year. They cannot schedule 12 “National” games like they could in the past. Something had to give, and that something was the Purdue series (for the time being).

Money and scheduling issues has been a problem of all programs now. B10, ACC, and Notre Dame want to optimize the money all other things such as tradition have been unfortunately changed not necessarily for the better. Here is to the future matchups

So, it's now a money issue.

NBC wanted to pay them more to play someone other than Purdue. Like Ball State. Or, Wake Forest. Or, Vanderbilt.

Listen, I don't care if Purdue plays ND ever again. I really don't. Like I've stated before, it smells like the reasons given aren't the real reasons.

ND is wallowing in cold, hard ca$h. Loads of ca$h. And Ball State ain't makin' that ca$h for ND.

Reactions: SKYDOG
They’re not truly an “independent” anymore. As a previous poster pointed out, they are a partial member of the ACC and are required to play a certain amount of ACC teams each year. They cannot schedule 12 “National” games like they could in the past. Something had to give, and that something was the Purdue series (for the time being).

I'm skeptical.

ND isn't beholden to any conference, ACC be d@mned. If that was "negotiated", then it was a, "meh... okay. If you want us to play more ACC, we'll play more ACC".

They play Ball State this year. And Vanderbilt (SEC).

Still doesn't wash.

So, it's now a money issue.

NBC wanted to pay them more to play someone other than Purdue. Like Ball State. Or, Wake Forest. Or, Vanderbilt.

Listen, I don't care if Purdue plays ND ever again. I really don't. Like I've stated before, it smells like the reasons given aren't the real reasons.

ND is wallowing in cold, hard ca$h. Loads of ca$h. And Ball State ain't makin' that ca$h for ND.

You are not using logic. It is ultimately about money. The B10 requires yes requires Purdue to play 9 conference games. So that leaves Purdue with 3 non conference games. So who can they play and who do they want to play and when. The conference games are there guarantee the b10 network makes money this way. It is quite lucrative. Nothing wrong with that. So Purdue plays E. Michigan which should be a gimme, Mizzou, and Boston College. Also, because of scheduling of B10 games Purdue has extremely difficult time playing non-conference games latter in the season. Notre Dame on the other hand is required to play 5 ACC games and they will not give up Navy, USC and currently Stanford. That will not change. Although I could see them swapping Stanford for random P12 team in the future. That said, it leaves the Irish schedule with 4 open games. So this year we have Ball State, Northwestern, Michigan, and Vanderbilt. So you take a swipe at Vanderbilt and Ball state scheduling granted weaker teams but not FBS. the rest of the schedule is very formable. So ACC has us playing some games on their network and that is where the money is for us not including NBC which yo know about. Bottom line because conference re-alignment tv revenue, scheduling difficulties from not just Notre Dame it is also Purdue and the B10 joint fault.

You are not using logic. It is ultimately about money. The B10 requires yes requires Purdue to play 9 conference games. So that leaves Purdue with 3 non conference games. So who can they play and who do they want to play and when. The conference games are there guarantee the b10 network makes money this way. It is quite lucrative. Nothing wrong with that. So Purdue plays E. Michigan which should be a gimme, Mizzou, and Boston College. Also, because of scheduling of B10 games Purdue has extremely difficult time playing non-conference games latter in the season. Notre Dame on the other hand is required to play 5 ACC games and they will not give up Navy, USC and currently Stanford. That will not change. Although I could see them swapping Stanford for random P12 team in the future. That said, it leaves the Irish schedule with 4 open games. So this year we have Ball State, Northwestern, Michigan, and Vanderbilt. So you take a swipe at Vanderbilt and Ball state scheduling granted weaker teams but not FBS. the rest of the schedule is very formable. So ACC has us playing some games on their network and that is where the money is for us not including NBC which yo know about. Bottom line because conference re-alignment tv revenue, scheduling difficulties from not just Notre Dame it is also Purdue and the B10 joint fault.

Oh, horsecrap. It's you that's not using logic. My last few posts have been nothing but logic.

Stop using Purdue's OOC schedule as an excuse. This hasn't been on Purdue, it's been a ND decision. To cite Purdue's OOC schedule is irrelevant. Those Purdue OOC games get scheduled around the Purdue/ND game. That's how scheduling works. If those 3 aren't available for Purdue's open dates, Purdue schedules someone else.

You said it's about money. Nobody "took a swipe" at Ball State and Vandy. What a stupid statement. Those 2 ND opponents were used as logic (remember that word?) to refute the ridiculous assertion that removing Purdue from the schedule was about money. To be blunt (and as logical as I can make it for you), the Ball State and Vandy games are not about money.

ND took the 2nd most storied series (2nd only to Navy) and temporarily discontinued. And it had nothing to do with money, which was one of your weaker arguments.

Oh, horsecrap. It's you that's not using logic. My last few posts have been nothing but logic.

Stop using Purdue's OOC schedule as an excuse. This hasn't been on Purdue, it's been a ND decision. To cite Purdue's OOC schedule is irrelevant. Those Purdue OOC games get scheduled around the Purdue/ND game. That's how scheduling works. If those 3 aren't available for Purdue's open dates, Purdue schedules someone else.

You said it's about money. Nobody "took a swipe" at Ball State and Vandy. What a stupid statement. Those 2 ND opponents were used as logic (remember that word?) to refute the ridiculous assertion that removing Purdue from the schedule was about money. To be blunt (and as logical as I can make it for you), the Ball State and Vandy games are not about money.

ND took the 2nd most storied series (2nd only to Navy) and temporarily discontinued. And it had nothing to do with money, which was one of your weaker arguments.

I would rank USC as 1 but
purdue is in the mix. look at Purdue's schedule, look at other B10 teams schedule. You will notice that the first 3 games are non-conference games as a general rule. That means Notre Dame if they chose would have bump and change schedules to accommodate any B10 team. It is a difficult process. Especially if both schools have contracted obligations. So in 2021-22 we do play purdue. After that we skip a couple years and then we play you again. The B10 would not allow us to move and schedule teams like purdue latter in the season. That part of the problem is on the b10

I would rank USC as 1 but
purdue is in the mix. look at Purdue's schedule, look at other B10 teams schedule. You will notice that the first 3 games are non-conference games as a general rule. That means Notre Dame if they chose would have bump and change schedules to accommodate any B10 team. It is a difficult process. Especially if both schools have contracted obligations. So in 2021-22 we do play purdue. After that we skip a couple years and then we play you again. The B10 would not allow us to move and schedule teams like purdue latter in the season. That part of the problem is on the b10

Nonsense.

As I've stated before, this has never been an issue in the past. And the point you won't address is, the rest of Purdue's OOC schedule gets scheduled around the Purdue/ND game. Besides, Purdue OPENS with conference play this year, permitting an OOC game even deeper in the season. That perfectly illustrates the flexibility of the B1G schedule.

No, brother... you can't shift this. It's all on ND.

And the addition of the so-called required ACC games only adds more structure to ND's schedule, not less. those ACC games are played the same weekends as the traditional B1G schedule, which you've used as an excuse to limit ND's availability.

That there's whatcha call . . . "logic", for those keeping score at home. (grin)

your excuses are all over the board on this topic.

Nonsense.

As I've stated before, this has never been an issue in the past. And the point you won't address is, the rest of Purdue's OOC schedule gets scheduled around the Purdue/ND game. Besides, Purdue OPENS with conference play this year, permitting an OOC game even deeper in the season. That perfectly illustrates the flexibility of the B1G schedule.

No, brother... you can't shift this. It's all on ND.

And the addition of the so-called required ACC games only adds more structure to ND's schedule, not less. those ACC games are played the same weekends as the traditional B1G schedule, which you've used as an excuse to limit ND's availability.

That there's whatcha call . . . "logic", for those keeping score at home. (grin)

your excuses are all over the board on this topic.

believe what you want. The b10 offers no flexibility in scheduling

Purdue was the only B1G team to play Notre Dame during the whole Catholic boycott thing. No one’s played ND more except Navy.
Michigan and their AD, Fielding Yost organized the catholic boycott against ND. He demanded that no BIG 10 teams ever play ND--Purdue refused to bow down to the bigoted UM/Yost and continued to schedule them despite UM's prejudice. PU has never racially profiled nor discriminated based on religion-MICHIGAN HAS in the past....

This is why I can not understand why in hell ND is desperate to schedule the a-holes from Ann Arbor after what they did to them???

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerBulldog
Michigan and their AD, Fielding Yost organized the catholic boycott against ND. He demanded that no BIG 10 teams play ND-ever-Purdue refused to bow down to f...ing UM/Yost and continued to schedule them despite UM's prejudice.

This is why I can not understand why in hell ND is desperate to schedule the a-holes from Ann Arbor after what they did to them???
I agree with your sentiment. However, I think we all have grown past some of UM bad behavior in the past. Grudges only make you miserable. I do not want to be miserable. I look forward to 2021 and 22 when we play the boilers again

Reactions: PUBV and boiler2288

In other words, your multiple arguments aren't working. I just demonstrated that the B1G offers flexibility, by virtue of leading off the schedule with conference game. Never mind the fact there's been no issue in scheduling for decades.

This "logic" thing isn't working out well for you.

I'll concur, it will be good to see the series revived in the near future. But I'm hoping current Purdue leadership will tell ND leadership to stick it where the sun don't shine, if ND chooses to pull this crap in the future.

Sorry, I don't buy it either.

Last year we played UL(ACC) and Mizzou (SEC). This year we play Mizzou (SEC) and BC (ACC). Next year we play TCU (BXII) and Vandy (SEC). In 2020, BC (ACC) and Air Force. In 2021, Oregon State (Pac12) and ND.

Looks like the B1G is plenty flexible. If we can schedule TWO P5 teams every year in OOC, then the problem is not our conference requirements. It's just not.

Last year we played UL(ACC) and Mizzou (SEC). This year we play Mizzou (SEC) and BC (ACC). Next year we play TCU (BXII) and Vandy (SEC). In 2020, BC (ACC) and Air Force. In 2021, Oregon State (Pac12) and ND.

Looks like the B1G is plenty flexible. If we can schedule TWO P5 teams every year in OOC, then the problem is not our conference requirements. It's just not.

Yup.

these games aren't scheduled in the heat of the moment. they're scheduled years in advance. It's simply disingenuous to suggest it's because of the inflexible Purdue/B1G schedule.

It just isn't a logical argument.

Reactions: boileralum07

Maybe I am not clear, The b10 requires all non conference games to be the first 3 games. So you can not be flexible in scheduling say week 7. That is the problem

In other words, your multiple arguments aren't working. I just demonstrated that the B1G offers flexibility, by virtue of leading off the schedule with conference game. Never mind the fact there's been no issue in scheduling for decades.

This "logic" thing isn't working out well for you.

I'll concur, it will be good to see the series revived in the near future. But I'm hoping current Purdue leadership will tell ND leadership to stick it where the sun don't shine, if ND chooses to pull this crap in the future.

You are holding a made up grudge

Maybe I am not clear, The b10 requires all non conference games to be the first 3 games. So you can not be flexible in scheduling say week 7. That is the problem

You're not paying attention, or you're just making sh*t up.

Purdue plays Northwestern for their first game this year. That is a CONFERENCE GAME.

That's happened a variety of times over the years, when B1G teams square off within that "first 3 games" corridor.

This is more of your made up excuses.

Stop.

Just, stop.

You're making it worse. It's becoming more an more clear, the ND excuses are just that.

ADVERTISEMENT