ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue vs. Illinois: Predictions and Game Thread

Not that I watch a lot of postgame interviews/press conferences of other teams, but I notice our guys pay very close attention to stats (not their own, but as a team). Matt Haarms studying it prior to his interview. It's pretty clear they look at what is and isn't working.

By all accounts, Painter is really big on analytics. I would imagine there are statistical "goals" each game that would indicate Purdue has a better chance of winning. Maybe it's a certain % of defensive or offensive rebounds or a certain amount of points off TOs, etc.

You really see this in individual sports like tennis. Pregame they have stats like: Player ABC is favored to win the match X% of the time if he can win Z% of his 2nd serves.

Sometime, hopefully soon, this team is going to put all their pieces together on the same night and really beat some teams.

Illini-Bus-e1459173329714.jpg

Oh my...uhhhh what can one say....

Sometime, hopefully soon, this team is going to put all their pieces together on the same night and really beat some teams.

Agree. The end of a conference season is always a grind. You see it all over, Big Ten or not - Villanova has really been struggling against not good teams lately.

The thing that I'm not super confident in is playing away from home. Last year, we were pretty solid on the road. This year, it's a bit shakier.

Purdue would play winner of Rutgers/Ohio State in the BTT, as of today. Purdue has locked in a double bye, which I'm not sure is a great thing (at least in that first game you play).

I think the biggest thing to avoid is Illinois - it'll be a home court for them. You know, since Purdue fans can't travel 2 hours...sigh.

Think that’s because of Illini’s unique style of play??? Pretty fast game whenever they play...

I mean, we didn't play the bench a whole lot. Not sure if that was because Painter wanted more experienced guys in there to handle the pressure, or when the bench was in they weren't terribly effective.

Brad Underwood: "We know Carsen isn't going to pass it."

Much better game from Carsen on shot selection tonight, but 0 assists.

Ryan Cline had 7 and Eastern with 6.

Reactions: Schnelk
I mean, we didn't play the bench a whole lot. Not sure if that was because Painter wanted more experienced guys in there to handle the pressure, or when the bench was in they weren't terribly effective.

Agree...That was not meant in a rhetorical way...Sorry. Think you are right for the half I saw....I missed first half.

Agree. The end of a conference season is always a grind. You see it all over, Big Ten or not - Villanova has really been struggling against not good teams lately.

The thing that I'm not super confident in is playing away from home. Last year, we were pretty solid on the road. This year, it's a bit shakier.
Last year we were Senior loaded. They should have been road warriors.

Brad Underwood: "We know Carsen isn't going to pass it."

Much better game from Carsen on shot selection tonight, but 0 assists.

Ryan Cline had 7 and Eastern with 6.
In fairness, just off the top of my head, he had at least 3 where he passed to Hunter, Cline, and Eifert and they all missed the open shot. Same with a few of his passes into the post drew fouls but you don’t get assists for made free throws.

I think it's 65-4 (38 out of last 39).....still tops, and still mighty impressive.
OSU, Villanova, Iowa (Rick Mount night), and I’m blanking on the 4th? Who else did they lose to in Mackey?

I usually go to a few games a year, and I honestly can’t remember the last time I saw them lose in person in Mackey.

Might have been 0 assists...but the ball didn’t stick in his hands tonight.

Oh, I agree he played more like last year last night. But that was Underwood's scouting report of him - which means it's probably others. Just goes to show how important it is that it doesn't stick in his hands.

No Hail fire tonight

I think it will quietly go away. While "sucks" is obviously commonplace these days, it still comes across as almost an athletic department endorsed thing when it's done every game.

Not a big deal. Wouldn't mind the band getting a bit more variety. Feel like they play the same things at each timeout every game.

Reactions: DannyGranger
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT