ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue hoops National Championship

Would CMP have done better with Archie's roster last year? Unequivocally, yes. With your assumption, you allude to Archie not being able to modify or change his system based on his personnel. CMP has shown that he will change his tactics and coaching based on who is on the roster. I also think a lot of other coaches could have made IU a tourney team last year....last four in likely, but still a tourney team.

I would argue that Archie didn't WANT to modify his system to fit last year's team, and I applaud him for it. Not that he couldn't. He took over for Tom Crean's players, who were accustomed to playing a certain style. Now he could have played a style more similar to that and probably done it better than Crean did, and had a slightly better season. But that's not what he wanted to do in his first season as head coach. Why allow the players to dictate how the team plays if he knows it's not what he wants to do in the long run? In his first season, he wanted to set the tone, build a foundation, teach the team to play tough nosed, gritty basketball. He commented before last season that he spent 75% of practice time on defense, and didn't focus much on the offense. I'm sure he knew, or at least assumed that the team wouldn't be great last year. But he used that season to build an identity and teach the guys how he wants to play, breaking old habits. Now this season he starts to bring in his own recruits and groom them to play the same way. Now he has a foundation of returnees who have already learned for a year how to play the way he wants. He wants to play a style of defense that thrives with players that have length and athleticism. He didn't have much of that last year. You'll notice with his first recruiting class, that he brought in a lot of length. He could have played differently last season to fit his current players better, but he knew that wasn't going to be his long term approach and those players won't be there forever. He rather chose to start teaching them his style right off the bat. I think it was a good decision and will pay dividends this season.

Yes, but you are inferring that finishing higher was an improvement when it wasn’t.
The rest of your post is speculation. With those 3 players the year before, IU went to the NIT. I am not sure there is anything that would support your statement that they would have easily competed for the Big Ten title, but it’s your fantasy I guess.
No more speculation than Purdue fans saying you would have made an elite 8 without injuries...

I'd be willing to heavily bet that IU finishes ahead of Purdue this year. You in? 1k?

Watching you stumble over your own words desperately seeking validation from Purdue fans is enough winning for me thank you.
I'm not stumbling over anything haha. You started talking about how I was speculating, so I pointed out that speculation is part of it, and that even purude fans do it (another poster pointed out that the main point of this thread is speculation).

However, you clearly think Purdue will be better than IU this year. I strongly disagree, hence the wager. I'm confident enough in my team/coach to do it.

I'm not stumbling over anything haha. You started talking about how I was speculating, so I pointed out that speculation is part of it, and that even purude fans do it (another poster pointed out that the main point of this thread is speculation).

However, you clearly think Purdue will be better than IU this year. I strongly disagree, hence the wager. I'm confident enough in my team/coach to do it.
https://goo.gl/images/eU8gIJ

Reactions: joe for prez
Not confident enough in your team?
LOL! What next? I bet $1000 I can out-drink you! What? Not confident in your own manliness? I bet $1000 my dad can beat up your dad! What? No confidence in your own dad?

I hope you never get banned here. You're too fun.

H
No more speculation than Purdue fans saying you would have made an elite 8 without injuries...

I'd be willing to heavily bet that IU finishes ahead of Purdue this year. You in? 1k?

I’d take that bet. You seem very confident and Vegas likes IU more than Purdue going into the year. What odds are you willing to give?

LOL! What next? I bet $1000 I can out-drink you! What? Not confident in your own manliness? I bet $1000 my dad can beat up your dad! What? No confidence in your own dad?

I hope you never get banned here. You're too fun.
Depends on the drink haha. Beer? You probably have me. Shots it could be close...

Mine was an on subject wager not some meaningless pissing match wager.

Not sure why I would be banned considering I have kept my conversations on basketball.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
H

I’d take that bet. You seem very confident and Vegas likes IU more than Purdue going into the year. What odds are you willing to give?
Straight up 1/1. You win then you get $1000. I win then I get $1000. PM me your venmo and I'll send you mine.

I wanted to take a moment to pause and thank you for a positive discourse in our conversation. Not many times an IU and Purdue fan can go back and forth the amount of times we have over two days and not have someone get offended and spout off. Thank you.
All fun and games haha. I like to talk college basketball, and you guys are very knowledgeable posters here (very rare for a free board as I'm sure you have seen on Peegs). Only a couple weeks till the season finally begins!

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
This year will be greatly entertaining for both Purdue and IU fans.

IU will have a terrific guard in Romeo. It will be a good indicator of how good Archie is as a coach. Now even if he is not able to parley Romeo into a 1st or 2nd place team, he is going to learn and improve through it. It will be fun to watch.

For Purdue fans, we have more unknowns and hope-he-is-better's this year than any year I can recall. It will interesting watching this team grow together. If Matt can pull off a top 3-4 finish, I think it will be a high water mark of his coaching achievement. He doesn't have the unity and maturity of a bunch of seniors this year, nor does he have a super star to build around. Going to be fun to watch.

Depends on the drink haha. Beer? You probably have me. Shots it could be close...

Mine was an on subject wager not some meaningless pissing match wager.

Not sure why I would be banned considering I have kept my conversations on basketball.
Yep, that was my point. The test will come in the heat of the season when emotions run high for ALL of us.

Reactions: NC_Trojan10
This year will be greatly entertaining for both Purdue and IU fans.

IU will have a terrific guard in Romeo. It will be a good indicator of how good Archie is as a coach. Now even if he is not able to parley Romeo into a 1st or 2nd place team, he is going to learn and improve through it. It will be fun to watch.

For Purdue fans, we have more unknowns and hope-he-is-better's this year than any year I can recall. It will interesting watching this team grow together. If Matt can pull off a top 3-4 finish, I think it will be a high water mark of his coaching achievement. He doesn't have the unity and maturity of a bunch of seniors this year, nor does he have a super star to build around. Going to be fun to watch.

I think a lot of those unknowns will lead to some struggles early but this is a team that could go on a big run in the second half of the season. I think CMP could get to 22 wins and the high watermark might be 25-26....if the team outplays a lot of expectations (which I believe they will at times).

They get 3 nice games before the more difficult skate of games during the season starts up...but the early conference games do Purdue no favors playing at UM and against Maryland.

This thread got way off track, but the original point is an interesting one. If this squad were to keep everyone for two seasons, the upside of this squad is intriguing.

Edwards we all know about. If he stays for two seasons he might be the most dynamic scorer in the country as his playmaking ability and all around game also continue to improve.

I think that Boudreaux will be a rock solid perfect compliment to Edwards.

Eastern and Haarms are key. Both have huge upsides if they can put it all together. Eastern is a 6’7” point guard who has a chance to develop into a matchup nightmare. Meanwhile, Haarms, is 7’2” with great length and agility and a developing skill set. If those two reach their potential, Purdue could have a huge upside.

The rest of the squad is very inexperienced, but appears to be talented. If a few guys like Wheeler, Williams, and Hunter step up, Painter could have his best rotation ever.

How many times does Kenpom show he made the final 4 in the last 3 years? How many times does Kenpom show he has made it passed the sweet 16 in his career?

It’s past, duh

I mean, quite possible. Roster wise, that was a really good Purdue team. Though not sure a team that fits what Miller wants to do. SO in that essence---maybe not.

I mean, would Painter have done better with last years team at IU?

Absolutely!

Guys, quit arguing with these clowns. Remember what Mark Twain said about arguing with fools.

Reactions: mathboy
I couldn't get through the first page of nonsense. Here's an independent ranking of the top 15.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...llege-basketball-coaches-right-now/ar-AAvIyNt
Not independent by any means. You know who wrote this dreck? Ryan Phillips, a San Diego-based blogger who is a 10-year veteran of the sports writing world. He holds a journalism degree from Indiana University.

His quote about ranking Archie at 15: "Something tells me he'll do great things at Indiana once he has his system fully implemented with "his" players". So his ranking is not based on what Li'l Archie has done but on what he is going to do... We have all heard that story before.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT