ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue hoops National Championship

Crean was given his chance to produce at a high level. He failed, so IU moved on. The occasional big ten championship and a couple sweet 16s is not acceptable at IU.
You must copy-and-paste that every time your argument falls apart.

I saw you guys rush the floor, cut down nets, and give out championship rings. And you hired a known cheater. So you'll have a hard time convincing yourself, and us, about IU's "high standards". lol.

So you replaced a Top 20 coach (by your definition) with a coach who is not Top 20 (by any definition). Please tell me you see the silliness your statements.

What are you talking about? Crean has made a final four before and thats all that matters. You fired a guy who has made a final four, thus making him better than every other coach who hasnt, for a guy who has never made a final four.

By the way, Frank Martin is 95-95 in conference play during his coaching career. Are you still going to double down and claim hes one of the 20 best coaches in the nation?
Almost all of the guys I listed have multiple elite 8s (including martin). That rules out the one hit wonder picture you are trying to paint.

Crean got his big time job because of his final 4. He didnt live up to expectations so he was fired and got a very nice low expectation gig. He will probably be at Georgia for a long time.

You must copy-and-paste that every time your argument falls apart.

I saw you guys rush the floor, cut down nets, and give out championship rings. And you hired a known cheater. So you'll have a hard time convincing yourself, and us, about IU's "high standards". lol.

So you replaced a Top 20 coach (by your definition) with a coach who is not Top 20 (by any definition). Please tell me you see the silliness your statements.
I never argued you have to be a final 4 coach to be in the top 20 dumb***. I listed my top 20 and crean wasnt in it. I happy for you that you are satisfied with Painter, but that doesn't mean I think he's top 20. I dont think crean is and I dont think archie is yet either.

For most people in this country success is measured simply by the scale or unlikelihood of your achievements. Very few people outside of Purdue will remember Painter as an all-time great for his winning percentage or ability to make the tournament every year if he never advances past the Sweet 16. That's just the reality.
THAT is probably true, but average is not very smart and 50% are below average as supporting evidence. Might have more luck determining who is the prettiest lady in Indy...not that the criteria has any variable weighting defined either... Everyone has a standard of measure and that is okay...

I never argued you have to be a final 4 coach to be in the top 20 dumb***. I listed my top 20 and crean wasnt in it. I happy for you that you are satisfied with Painter, but that doesn't mean I think he's top 20. I dont think crean is and I dont think archie is yet either.
You take yourself way too seriously, way over-doing the arrogant facade. You continue to labor under the delusion that we think your meandering opinion matters for anything other than silly amusement.

I think ranking a coach has to be more rational than this thread would indicate.

First, total winning percentage has to play large in determining who are the best coaches. This shows performance over the long haul and is probably the best indicator of coaching skill. Given how random the NCAA tournament success can be, I think basing your criteria only on tourney success is faulty and will produce incorrect anomalies. We have already seen a few of these in the above arguments.

Two, and arguably three of Painter's best teams lost key players right at the most critical moments before the tournament. At least 2 other times Painter's teams have been outed by the national champion. Those kinds of bad luck situations should not play a factor in judging his coaching skills.

Another way to look at judging can be based on how Painter is perceived by his coaching peers. Has he been asked to coach national teams? The answer is several times. The only conclusion I can make based on this approach is that Matt Painter is one of the best 20 coaches in basketball today.

Fair point...must have done my math wrong when counting back on the 2014 bracket. However, being the Purdue homer that I am....Dayton only played #6 OSU (64), #3 Syracuse (32), #10 Stanford (S16) to get to that Elite Eight. Purdue, under CMP, hasn't had a bracket really open up like that but once...and that VCU team made it to the FF.

Conference wise, I'd probably put CMP behind Izzo and Belein and slightly ahead of Holtman at this point.
Fair.....I like Holtman.

BTW---Nothing "opened up" for Dayton. They were an 11-seed.

For most people in this country success is measured simply by the scale or unlikelihood of your achievements. Very few people outside of Purdue will remember Painter as an all-time great for his winning percentage or ability to make the tournament every year if he never advances past the Sweet 16. That's just the reality.
True---And sad. FTR, I think MP is a really good coach; especially defensively. And quite possibly, Top 20. I just don't think its, "Without question".

So why the hell did Tom Crean get fired then?

Afterall, Indiana had one of the very few active coaches who has made the final four.

Yet, all of you IU slappies wanted him fired for a guy who has never made the final four.

Now go on and dance for me here boy, I want to see the gymnastics youll have to do to explain this one away.
Huh? Calipari, Wright, WIlliams, K, Izzo, Smart, Self, Boeheim, Beilein, Martin, Weber, Moser,......

I mean, "one of the very few...........'''''?????

You act like FF coaches are spotted owls are something...

Jay Wright didnt start doing anything until he started getting 5* talent.

Whether painter is 18 or 21 it matters very little.
Meh......

Since 2010, Wright has never had a recruiting class finish inside the top 20 in 247Sports’ rankings. In 2013 his class finished 36th, in 2014 it was 48th, in 2015 it was 29th, in 2016 it was 45th and in 2017 it was 28th. With those classes, from 2013 through this season, Villanova has a record of 165-21 (.887). The Wildcats have won four Big East regular season titles, three Big East Tournament titles, three Final Four appearances and two national titles.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Cool....I mean if you guys feel 26% is consistent---who the hell am I to argue:D
You're somebody who isn't listened to on his own fan board so he tries to make his opinion seem important on another school's fan board. That's who you are. :D

You're somebody who isn't listened to on his own fan board so he tries to make his opinion seem important on another school's fan board. That's who you are. :D
I mean if I posted 26% was consistent..........And for the record, I post very seldom on the IU board. But I when I do---I do so with importance my friend.:D

Honest answer....would Archie have done better with last years team at Purdue?
I mean, quite possible. Roster wise, that was a really good Purdue team. Though not sure a team that fits what Miller wants to do. SO in that essence---maybe not.

I mean, would Painter have done better with last years team at IU?

That’s not true. You want to throw out 90% of the job and judge it on three weeks, that’s your prerogative. Most people look at the whole picture.

last season, painters compensation ranked about mid pack in the big ten, and mid pack among the power 5 conferences.

i imagine he would get a nice bump in $, and in a shorter time frame, if purdue won the title/final 4 run vs. a few more years with a good win % but several rounds less of tourney success.

Last edited:
I’ll give you credit and say that this seems fair. Archie needs three more years at IU (including this year) to be judged fairly.
C'mon, Northside...He ain't getting three years. I agree he should. But I also agree this years team has to be an NCAAT team. If not---I will worry. A lot returning. Guys with experience in his system. A Top 10 class. I mean----to me if IU misses the NCAAT, grumblings will start.

I’m just quoting your post “Top 20 coaches usually get past the SW 16”. You can retract that statement if you want but don’t try to change the arguement.
I mean, why would I retract it? Now, IF Painter was a regular at the SW 16, then yeah, my statement would be silly. But he's been there 4 times in 14 seasons; Or 26%.
I mean I guess if you wanna nit pick wording, a be technical, I should've said---"Top 20 coaches usually GET TO THE SW 16"...But hey, I didn't wanna be to mean in your house..:D

Huh? Calipari, Wright, WIlliams, K, Izzo, Smart, Self, Boeheim, Beilein, Martin, Weber, Moser,......

I mean, "one of the very few...........'''''?????

You act like FF coaches are spotted owls are something...

Tell that to the guy I was mocking when I quoted him.

Meh......

Since 2010, Wright has never had a recruiting class finish inside the top 20 in 247Sports’ rankings. In 2013 his class finished 36th, in 2014 it was 48th, in 2015 it was 29th, in 2016 it was 45th and in 2017 it was 28th. With those classes, from 2013 through this season, Villanova has a record of 165-21 (.887). The Wildcats have won four Big East regular season titles, three Big East Tournament titles, three Final Four appearances and two national titles.
Wright is a good coach.

I mean, quite possible. Roster wise, that was a really good Purdue team. Though not sure a team that fits what Miller wants to do. SO in that essence---maybe not.

I mean, would Painter have done better with last years team at IU?
Would CMP have done better with Archie's roster last year? Unequivocally, yes. With your assumption, you allude to Archie not being able to modify or change his system based on his personnel. CMP has shown that he will change his tactics and coaching based on who is on the roster. I also think a lot of other coaches could have made IU a tourney team last year....last four in likely, but still a tourney team.

C'mon, Northside...He ain't getting three years. I agree he should. But I also agree this years team has to be an NCAAT team. If not---I will worry. A lot returning. Guys with experience in his system. A Top 10 class. I mean----to me if IU misses the NCAAT, grumblings will start.

I did’t say judged, I’m sure that’s already happening, I said judged fairly. There’s a big difference.

Last edited:
I mean, why would I retract it? Now, IF Painter was a regular at the SW 16, then yeah, my statement would be silly. But he's been there 4 times in 14 seasons; Or 26%.
I mean I guess if you wanna nit pick wording, a be technical, I should've said---"Top 20 coaches usually GET TO THE SW 16"...But hey, I didn't wanna be to mean in your house..:D

Don’t downplay your wording, what made the statement inane is that you said they get past the Sweet 16, I.e. to the Elite 8 or beyond. If you want to retract that and say that you meant they consistently get to the Sweet 16 your statement would be much more reasonable.

Would CMP have done better with Archie's roster last year? Unequivocally, yes. With your assumption, you allude to Archie not being able to modify or change his system based on his personnel. CMP has shown that he will change his tactics and coaching based on who is on the roster. I also think a lot of other coaches could have made IU a tourney team last year....last four in likely, but still a tourney team.
What about the last place finishes for Painter? Why wasnt he able to adapt his system to fit those teams? The answer is that some rosters are too bad to be tournament teams.

This year will be interesting for Painter. All of his good teams have had a dominant big (or 2). Will be interesting to see how he adapts to not having one.

What about the last place finishes for Painter? Why wasnt he able to adapt his system to fit those teams? The answer is that some rosters are too bad to be tournament teams.

This year will be interesting for Painter. All of his good teams have had a dominant big (or 2). Will be interesting to see how he adapts to not having one.
He did adapt his system...it's called losing your two best players who were All Big Ten caliber players to knee injuries on a team that was likely to only be 6 or 7 deep to begin with (Landy & Teague). The three leading scorers that season were Matt Kiefer, Chris Lutz, and Marcus White.

The next season with both of those guys back, they won 22 games and Landry and Teague both averaged over 14 ppg.

Not the same comparison you are trying to make as IU wasn't hit with a ton of injuries. IU's roster last season was good enough to make the NCAA tourney IMO...again as a likely last four in team. You didn't even get a sniff from the NIT.

He did adapt his system...it's called losing your two best players who were All Big Ten caliber players to knee injuries on a team that was likely to only be 6 or 7 deep to begin with (Landy & Teague). The three leading scorers that season were Matt Kiefer, Chris Lutz, and Marcus White.

The next season with both of those guys back, they won 22 games and Landry and Teague both averaged over 14 ppg.

Not the same comparison you are trying to make as IU wasn't hit with a ton of injuries. IU's roster last season was good enough to make the NCAA tourney IMO...again as a likely last four in team. You didn't even get a sniff from the NIT.
The Deron Davis injury doesn't count? What about losing OG, Thomas Bryant, and JBJ early to the draft? Does that not count either?

Also, I noticed how you glossed over the last place finish in 2013-2014.

The Deron Davis injury doesn't count? What about losing OG, Thomas Bryant, and JBJ early to the draft? Does that not count either?

Also, I noticed how you glossed over the last place finish in 2013-2014.

Didn't gloss over it. It was awful recruiting on CMP's part that has been corrected and there is obvious evidence to point to that over the last 5 to 6 years.

Deron Davis injury is a fair point but you weren't left with zero scoring ability and had an All Big Ten caliber player(s) left on your roster. Early leavers don't count either....coaches know when that is likely to occur....just like I won't complain when Carsen leaves after this year and if Purdue sees a scoring dip in what would be his senior year because the entire team will be very young.

Didn't gloss over it. It was awful recruiting on CMP's part that has been corrected and there is obvious evidence to point to that over the last 5 to 6 years.

Deron Davis injury is a fair point but you weren't left with zero scoring ability and had an All Big Ten caliber player(s) left on your roster. Early leavers don't count either....coaches know when that is likely to occur....just like I won't complain when Carsen leaves after this year and if Purdue sees a scoring dip in what would be his senior year because the entire team will be very young.
I would agree with that assessment if Archie was the one that left the cupboard bare after the early departures. It wasn't Archie's fault that Crean didnt have recruits in place to replace OG, TB, JBJ, and Davis.

Archie took over a team that finished 10th in the Big Ten and lost the 4 players mentioned while having replaced that talent with Justin Smith and Al Durham (not counting Moore as he didnt see the court). Archie still managed to get IU to finish 4 spots higher than the previous year at 6th in the Big Ten.

I would agree with that assessment if Archie was the one that left the cupboard bare after the early departures. It wasn't Archie's fault that Crean didnt have recruits in place to replace OG, TB, JBJ, and Davis.

Archie took over a team that finished 10th in the Big Ten and lost the 4 players mentioned while having replaced that talent with Justin Smith and Al Durham (not counting Moore as he didnt see the court). Archie still managed to get IU to finish 4 spots higher than the previous year at 6th in the Big Ten.

So to your point on leaving the cupboard bare....

What would you consider this season to be a success for Archie? Is he already in your mind considered better than CMP?

So to your point on leaving the cupboard bare....

What would you consider this season to be a success for Archie? Is he already in your mind considered better than CMP?
Top 3 finish and a SS.

Still a young team, but have tons of talent.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I dont think he has proven to be better than Painter yet. However, if I were an AD choosing between them right now for my program, I would take Archie.

Top 3 finish and a SS.

Still a young team, but have tons of talent.

As I've said multiple times in this thread, I dont think he has proven to be better than Painter yet. However, if I were an AD choosing between them right now for my program, I would take Archie.
Really? That is surprising but not unwarranted. I think both are highly capable coaches but I wouldn't take Archie over CMP. I'd probably put Archie around 5th best in the B1G right now:

Belein
Izzo
CMP
Holtman
Archie
Chambers
Fran
Gard
Everyone else because this low it doesn't really matter.

I love this thought process. Last seasons 6th place was equal to the previous seasons 9th place. IU was 4 games behind the next highest team last year at 6th place. Using the place a team finished in league last season is a horrible metric to use when you are comparing a teams success and failures. If that is all you have to go on, then you are lost. 9-9 wasn’t an improvement when you look at the quality of teams outside the top 4.

How can you call that an improvement when the previous seasons team went to NIT compared to the improved team which didn’t?

Really? That is surprising but not unwarranted. I think both are highly capable coaches but I wouldn't take Archie over CMP. I'd probably put Archie around 5th best in the B1G right now:

Belein
Izzo
CMP
Holtman
Archie
Chambers
Fran
Gard
Everyone else because this low it doesn't really matter.
My thinking is that he is 10 years younger, has been further in the tournament, and recruits at a high level. I dont love the motion offense, so that's a turn off for me as well. We should favor our own coaches though. That's to be expected.

I love this thought process. Last seasons 6th place was equal to the previous seasons 9th place. IU was 4 games behind the next highest team last year at 6th place. Using the place a team finished in league last season is a horrible metric to use when you are comparing a teams success and failures. If that is all you have to go on, then you are lost. 9-9 wasn’t an improvement when you look at the quality of teams outside the top 4.

How can you call that an improvement when the previous seasons team went to NIT compared to the improved team which didn’t?
I said they finished better seeding wise. With OG, JBJ, and TB that team would easily have been competing for the Big Ten title with Purdue, MSU, and OSU.

I said they finished better seeding wise. With OG, JBJ, and TB that team would easily have been competing for the Big Ten title with Purdue, MSU, and OSU.
Yes, but you are inferring that finishing higher was an improvement when it wasn’t.
The rest of your post is speculation. With those 3 players the year before, IU went to the NIT. I am not sure there is anything that would support your statement that they would have easily competed for the Big Ten title, but it’s your fantasy I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT