ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Ohio State: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

We will lose in first weekend of March. Book it.

Will continue happening as long as our offense revolves around throwing it inside every posession
Unless we start playing better I will have to agree. We have not played good for a few weeks now. Not a good look going into March. Frustrating. I sure hope I get proven wrong

Reactions: rrdd2021
We can lose anyone as long as Painter continues ( which he will ) to play Loyer major minutes and puts Morton in to pass up shots. It’s his fault he hasn’t played and developed Heide and Colvin, and when they do play they are timid cause the know one mistake and they are pulled
gets that from Keady, Justin Jennings was a great talent , played spot minutes if he made one mistake always looked to the bench, started to improve 2nd half of JR year then had a good SR yr. Happened to other players too

I don't like they way we are trending. We won't win every game, but our last three we have not played well. Jones and Smith are our difference makers. Jones wasn't himself on either end today. If we become Edey-centric again, we won't go very far. We have to play inside out, but shoot some threes. When Loyer is MIA, someone else needs to step in. Colvin and Heide should be the guys, but Painter refuses to give them minutes and he sticks with an ineffective guy.

I don't like they way we are trending. We won't win every game, but our last three we have not played well. Jones and Smith are our difference makers. Jones wasn't himself on either end today. If we become Edey-centric again, we won't go very far. We have to play inside out, but shoot some threes. When Loyer is MIA, someone else needs to step in. Colvin and Heide should be the guys, but Painter refuses to give them minutes and he sticks with an ineffective guy.
Hasn’t Myles got more minutes the last two games than he has in a month or so?

I see where posters are saying Heide and Colvin need to step it up on practice. What practice ? It’s to late in the year to scrimmage and go full blast

He's gotten some minutes, but when he's in there, nothing is ran for him. If we're going to play him, then run some sets for him to get a shot (like we do for Loyer). The one thing he can do at this point in his career is shoot.

I've been very clear that I don't think Colvin is going to contribute this year now. That ship sailed in my opinion. That said, if you're going to put him in, then you need to at least try and capitalize on the one thing he does well right now. Otherwise, don't play him at all.

Reactions: Schnelk
He's gotten some minutes, but when he's in there, nothing is ran for him. If we're going to play him, then run some sets for him to get a shot (like we do for Loyer). The one thing he can do at this point in his career is shoot.

I've been very clear that I don't think Colvin is going to contribute this year now. That ship sailed in my opinion. That said, if you're going to put him in, then you need to at least try and capitalize on the one thing he does well right now. Otherwise, don't play him at all.
I don’t have an answer for that. I noticed at the time the last two games the same thing. For a second you wondered if he was a decoy and then the next second you realized he hasn’t been scouted deep enough to be a decoy. I’m sure he enters to stroke it when open, but unsure he has taken a shot in either game,

It is perplexing because I imagine he is in there to shoot the ball. What other reason would he be in there? Yet, he doesn’t get it with a good look. I may watch it tomorrow and try to focus on Myles and the ball and see if I can learn anything.

You put him in to shoot and I’m unsure he touched the ball?

Reactions: Dryfly88
I don’t have an answer for that. I noticed at the time the last two games the same thing. For a second you wondered if he was a decoy and then the next second you realized he hasn’t been scouted deep enough to be a decoy. I’m sure he enters to stroke it when open, but unsure he has taken a shot in either game,

It is perplexing because I imagine he is in there to shoot the ball. What other reason would he be in there? Yet, he doesn’t get it with a good look. I may watch it tomorrow and try to focus on Myles and the ball and see if I can learn anything.

It's pretty clear that nothing is being ran for him. Complete mystery to me why he is even in the game. If you're going to play him, run the same sets for him we do for Loyer and really see what he can do. If he's not capable of that, or they don't trust him, then just leave him on the bench.

It's because we are so focused on dumping it down.
He was wide open, not a player within ten feet of him on a play today, and Smith didn't even look his way because he was determined to get the ball from the top of the key passed down to TKR.

There was a second play where believe he was also looking inside, Colvin was open and the look inside closed up but by the time the player with the ball looked Colvin's way, he wasn't open anymore.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
If Colvin is going to play, its's always at the 4-5 minute mark of the first half. This has happened the past couple of games, I agree. I would like to see him inserted in the game when Loyer isn't producing and at least give him a shot. Loyer is not a great defender....the reason some give for Colvin not playing. Colvin is more athletic and seems to be able to knock down shots when open.

Reactions: PaBoiler78
There are fans here upset because we aren't running plays for our 9th man.
I mean there are fans upset because we've not played well for awhile and it finally caught up to us, and they are trying to figure out why.

Seems to me our starting shooting guard going 3-16 the last three games while not providing much of anything else during that span is part of it.

So it's not surprising that folks wonder if someone else might do better and there's literally only two players on the roster who could take some of his minutes.

The "9th player on the roster" appears to be pretty good at shooting threes. So folks wonder if he might be an option in those games where Loyer is in a funk.

So I'm not sure your mocking tone bears as much merit as you think. Maybe the answer is no because starting next game Loyer snaps out of it. Then again, maybe he doesn't and then some change is going to be needed and it's either giving Heide or Colvin more time.

There are fans here upset because we aren't running plays for our 9th man.
No, there are people asking why put Colvin in the game if you're not going to give him chances to do the one thing he is good at right now? Big difference.

Not every criticism/question of the coaching staff is the same.

Reactions: BoilerDeac
In 15 years of being an Ohio State fan and going to these games, I have never seen as many opposing fans. Boiler Up was the loudest cheer and the upper bowl was 90%+ Purdue, easily the most attended men's game this year by several thousand.

No, there are people asking why put Colvin in the game if you're not going to give him chances to do the one thing he is good at right now? Big difference.

Somebody maybe @qazplm wrote that Myles just ended up in the corner? If true, then that could very well be in a set that typically has Fletch and Lance in the corner and Zach and Braden play a two man game on a high ball screen and as Zach rolls, the next option that was added a couple of weeks ago has Mason going to the top of the arc should Mason's man help on Zach's role and Braden has as a last read the opposite corner. I need to see if Kim wants to watch the game or if I can watch it before she gets home and after I get a bit more done on taxes...that lovely activity that faces many of us around this time. ;) When you have more sets...more plays you attempt to get everyone on the same page doing lots of things in a few seconds that leads many times to a higher success rate. The flipside is that those sets can be scouted...all in place due to a shorter clock (which also makes it difficult for the refs to keep up) as is more of the dribble drive offense.

This is what gets them beat in the tournament. Let a lesser team get their heads up, then inexplicably play into their strategy and hope refs bail them out. F-ck around and find out.
Don't think we hoped the refs would "bail us out" so much as call the game fairly. When you lose by a possession and your opponent was gifted a possession, it matters. Even if you also played badly.

Not to mention the constant muggings Edey endures.

Expecting the games to be called fairly is not a good strategy, because we have often seen they are not. We have to be ten or so points better than our opponent in order to win. Today, we were not.

Reactions: Schnelk and tjreese
I mean there are fans upset because we've not played well for awhile and it finally caught up to us, and they are trying to figure out why.

Seems to me our starting shooting guard going 3-16 the last three games while not providing much of anything else during that span is part of it.

So it's not surprising that folks wonder if someone else might do better and there's literally only two players on the roster who could take some of his minutes.

The "9th player on the roster" appears to be pretty good at shooting threes. So folks wonder if he might be an option in those games where Loyer is in a funk.

So I'm not sure your mocking tone bears as much merit as you think. Maybe the answer is no because starting next game Loyer snaps out of it. Then again, maybe he doesn't and then some change is going to be needed and it's either giving Heide or Colvin more time.
and some of you are just silly

NO, HE SAID THEY NEED TO RUN PLAYS FOR HIM>

Don't think we hoped the refs would "bail us out" so much as call the game fairly. When you lose by a possession and your opponent was gifted a possession, it matters. Even if you also played badly.

Not to mention the constant muggings Edey endures.

Expecting the games to be called fairly is not a good strategy, because we have often seen they are not. We have to be ten or so points better than our opponent in order to win. Today, we were not.
That’s the point. If you’re counting on fouls being called, you’re already losing. They didn’t call the slap down across his arms the first 5 or so times it happened, they aren’t calling it at that moment.

In 15 years of being an Ohio State fan and going to these games, I have never seen as many opposing fans. Boiler Up was the loudest cheer and the upper bowl was 90%+ Purdue, easily the most attended men's game this year by several thousand.
it's like your football team, you travel well, speaking of which now I know how you guys feel when you lose to Purdue in football

If Colvin is going to play, its's always at the 4-5 minute mark of the first half. This has happened the past couple of games, I agree. I would like to see him inserted in the game when Loyer isn't producing and at least give him a shot. Loyer is not a great defender....the reason some give for Colvin not playing. Colvin is more athletic and seems to be able to knock down shots when open.
he's also able to shoot when going vertical which helps when a defender runs at him, w/ Loyer he sees a defender coming he either passes it or does that step back move after a fake

Reactions: rjmpu82
and some of you are just silly
If anyone is silly it's you... All I see you do is make remarks about people rather than using your words and actually creating a coherent rebuttal. Maybe try that sometime rather than just making personal attacks responding to a thought out post... Whether you think it's well thought out is up to you but responding with completely irrelevant and unhelpful dribble like this is useless to you and everyone else...

NO, HE SAID THEY NEED TO RUN PLAYS FOR HIM>
Yes, why else is he in the game? he can't play defense, he doesn't rebound, so if you aren't going to try and take advantage of the one thing he can do why is he even in the game? You are one of the set of posters that finds it impossible to separate good discussion and questions versus fire Painter. You see it as all the same.

Somebody maybe @qazplm wrote that Myles just ended up in the corner? If true, then that could very well be in a set that typically has Fletch and Lance in the corner and Zach and Braden play a two man game on a high ball screen and as Zach rolls, the next option that was added a couple of weeks ago has Mason going to the top of the arc should Mason's man help on Zach's role and Braden has as a last read the opposite corner. I need to see if Kim wants to watch the game or if I can watch it before she gets home and after I get a bit more done on taxes...that lovely activity that faces many of us around this time. ;) When you have more sets...more plays you attempt to get everyone on the same page doing lots of things in a few seconds that leads many times to a higher success rate. The flipside is that those sets can be scouted...all in place due to a shorter clock (which also makes it difficult for the refs to keep up) as is more of the dribble drive offense.
If you're able to find a set where we were actually working to get Colvin a shot, please post it. If you can find where he was open and we passed him the ball, please post it. He hasn't had a look at the basket for 2 straight games.

I'm ok if CMP doesn't play him, and have said so many times. My point is IF you are going to play him, the only thing that makes sense is to try and take advantage of the 1 thing he can do right now. Especially in a game where others are struggling mightily to score.

Reactions: tjreese
If you're able to find a set where we were actually working to get Colvin a shot, please post it. If you can find where he was open and we passed him the ball, please post it. He hasn't had a look at the basket for 2 straight games.

I'm ok if CMP doesn't play him, and have said so many times. My point is IF you are going to play him, the only thing that makes sense is to try and take advantage of the 1 thing he can do right now. Especially in a game where others are struggling mightily to score.
I haven't got to watch the game and unsure if Kim wants to, but I will today sometime. What I posted that you referenced was "that if he was in the corner" like Fletch and Lance in that set, then he would be a very late option as were Fletch and Lance. That set is all about Braden, Zach and Mason. I doubt I find a set where Myles is inserted into a Lance or Fletchers position with the same options and reads. If not then the obvious question is whether he moves quick enough for such or some other concern whether right or wrong? I don't know that to be the case, but it does not appear that he is placed in that position as you state.

What he could do I believe (and possibly other things I don't know?) is if Zach is low to feed the post and then relocate a couple of steps for Zach to kick it out hopeful that his man loses him by digging or not fully facing him as some do to ensure 3pt coverage. There is not a lot of reads, not a lot of quick decisions just a good pass inside and relocate as warranted. Pretty simple "IF" in that situation and Zach is better with the ball. This year, Zach is not down on the blocks as much as last year and so we don't see quite as much of that this year

They were the absolute worst. The Indiana athletic department is a complete joke. Supposedly Pearl wants the job though. We'll find a way to screw it up. Trust me
Is he already in trouble down there (Auburn?). Tried that with Sampson and it caused problems, but with NIL maybe there is no concern. Brad Stevens wouldn't get you in trouble if IU waits just a little longer (who knows how long, but understand it to be his lifelong desire)...Dusty May might jump at a chance to get in the Big and its pressure ,instead of the sunshine of Florida. Lot of coaches out there that are good and just need a chance.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler

In answer to your question without all the particulars Myles entered with 4:30 to go in the first half. Braden drove off a screen and missed a shot around the elbow. Ethan I think passed to Trey who lost the ball. Can't recall for certain, but pass may have put Trey in an awkward position...not sure? Next time Braden drove to blocks...faked and got fouled for 2 Fts. Next possession Braden threw ball away as Fletch moved in different direction. There was no play for anyone. The ball was in Braden's hand's to try to get the D out of place and then read it and hit the open man. Now all that said, Myles was up top setting a screen for Braden and then was available potentially for a shot, but in all those 4 or so possessions Myles was open twice behind the arc on the left side and he was not seen or the ball just didn't get there. Hopefully, one of the coaches watches tape and notices it because that is just catch and shoot.

They were the absolute worst. The Indiana athletic department is a complete joke. Supposedly Pearl wants the job though. We'll find a way to screw it up. Trust me
Does he still want it? He came out and said it was his dream job awhile back. He’s only 2 years younger than Woodson and his current salary at 5.5M would put him second already in the B1G. I’d assume if he made the jump he’d have to be paid more than Izzo at 6.2M…lotta money already flowing out for a not great return as of late.

In answer to your question without all the particulars Myles entered with 4:30 to go in the first half. Braden drove off a screen and missed a shot around the elbow. Ethan I think passed to Trey who lost the ball. Can't recall for certain, but pass may have put Trey in an awkward position...not sure? Next time Braden drove to blocks...faked and got fouled for 2 Fts. Next possession Braden threw ball away as Fletch moved in different direction. There was no play for anyone. The ball was in Braden's hand's to try to get the D out of place and then read it and hit the open man. Now all that said, Myles was up top setting a screen for Braden and then was available potentially for a shot, but in all those 4 or so possessions Myles was open twice behind the arc on the left side and he was not seen or the ball just didn't get there. Hopefully, one of the coaches watches tape and notices it because that is just catch and shoot.
Thanks TJ, I just couldn't bring myself to watch that game again!

I also hope they look at that and consider being more intentional when Colvin comes in. That shot of his is beautiful and the 44% backs it up. If we're going to play him, then use him.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
Thanks TJ, I just couldn't bring myself to watch that game again!

I also hope they look at that and consider being more intentional when Colvin comes in. That shot of his is beautiful and the 44% backs it up. If we're going to play him, then use him.
Yes, I hope PJ goes over that. I watched him on D as well and had no issues. He was on ball side of a dribbler heading towards the lane and just kind of reached out and never helped, but he may have been told to not leave his man on ball side to help...especially if that was a shooter. He moves a little slower and doesn't seem to get many rebounds, but he can score. That said Domask doesn't move quick either...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT