ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Ohio State: MASTER DISCUSSION THREAD

I get the concern they will play inspired after Holtmann’s firing but if they weren’t inspired to play with heart and emotion before, why would they find that spark now? I mean it wasn’t like they were being held captive watching the demise of their coach and program and tried to do something. They quit on him, plain and simple.

I want this game to be start to finish game of perfection - limited turnovers, high rate of FTs and defensive intensity. Whatever soul exists in this team should be ripped out and extinguished. Make a statement and win by 30.

I get the concern they will play inspired after Holtmann’s firing but if they weren’t inspired to play with heart and emotion before, why would they find that spark now? I mean it wasn’t like they were being held captive watching the demise of their coach and program and tried to do something. They quit on him, plain and simple.

I want this game to be start to finish game of perfection - limited turnovers, high rate of FTs and defensive intensity. Whatever soul exists in this team should be ripped out and extinguished. Make a statement and win by 30.
I would love to see that also. I will say though, that the line is only -9. I was surprised it was that small.

I would love to see that also. I will say though, that the line is only -9. I was surprised it was that small.
And it's actually gone up to 9. On my site last night it was 7.5 and now 9. Not sure if anything happened between now and then. I expected it to be an even 10.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (23-2; 12-2) travel to Columbus to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes (14-11; 4-10) in Value City Arena. Tip is scheduled for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with national television coverage on CBS.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Ohio State - Felix Okpara, Jamison Battle, Evan Mahaffey, Bruce Thornton, and Roddy Gayle Jr.

This is the only scheduled meeting between the two teams this season. Ohio State is coming off a loss at Wisconsin and is playing its first game with interim coach Jake Diebler, taking over for Chris Holtmann, who Ohio State fired this week. The Buckeyes have struggled in league play mired in 13th position after a promising start to the season, but make no mistake, they have some talented players and are capable of pulling an upset, especially if the Boilers aren't sharp and make some mistakes.

Purdue defeated Minnesota at home on Thursday night, 84-76 - erasing an eight-point halftime deficit.

Bruce Thornton leads Ohio State with 15.8 points and 4.2 assists per game. He has reached double figures in each of his last four games, including 24 against Maryland in Ohio States only recent win. Roddy Gayle Jr. can also provide production from the back-court and on the wing. He goes for 14.2 points and 4.3 assists per game. He is a talented guard but has been rather inconsistent in his sophomore season. The top shooter on the team is Jamison Battle, with 65 three-point FG's on the season on 43.0% shooting. He averages 13.7 points a contest. Felix Okpara is the main presence in the post - he averages 6.4 points and 6.7 rebounds a game. Zed Key, a former starter, will see action as well - he went scoreless against the Badgers in 13 minutes.

KenPom has Ohio State currently ranked 67th overall. They are 45th in offensive efficiency and 122nd in defensive efficiency. They play at a slower pace than Purdue coming out at 308th in the nation in pace of play.

Despite its conference record, Ohio State can be a more formidable opponent when they play well, especially at home. Expect a game effort on national television with a team perhaps reenergized from the coaching change. Diebler is a former player, himself, and the players should respond to him. Ohio State will likely look to control the pace and slow the game down and try to get in a possession battle with the Boilers.

Purdue does have an advantage in the front court. Though the Buckeyes don't have some of the ability up front like Minnesota, Okpara, Key, and Royal will battle Zach Edey in the paint. Now, Ohio State does match up well on the perimeter as Thornton, Gayle and Battle are a talented group that can hang with the Purdue guards. The Boilers will have their hands full and really need to avoid the careless turnovers. They'll also need a defensive effort more like the second half TH against Minnesota - force Ohio State into tough shots and keep an edge on the glass. If they do that, the Boilers should be in good shape.

I expect this will be a hard fought good competitive game.....none are easy, especially on the road, so the Boilers better be ready from the jump. Can they keep things on track toward a 10th straight victory? We shall see, starting in a couple hours or so.

Boiler up, my friends...

i
i

Limit TO's, make FT's and play the guys that are playing well on the given day. I think Edey will get his FTs corrected. Guessing more mental than anything.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Would be nice to see a big game from Loyer today. We really need to get more production from him. Going to need that in March.

Reactions: Chi-Boiler
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. Today, the #2-ranked Purdue Boilermakers (23-2; 12-2) travel to Columbus to take on the Ohio State Buckeyes (14-11; 4-10) in Value City Arena. Tip is scheduled for approximately 1:00 pm (Eastern time) with national television coverage on CBS.

Projected Starting Line-ups:

Purdue - Zach Edey, Trey Kaufman-Renn, Lance Jones, Fletcher Loyer, and Braden Smith

Ohio State - Felix Okpara, Jamison Battle, Evan Mahaffey, Bruce Thornton, and Roddy Gayle Jr.

This is the only scheduled meeting between the two teams this season. Ohio State is coming off a loss at Wisconsin and is playing its first game with interim coach Jake Diebler, taking over for Chris Holtmann, who Ohio State fired this week. The Buckeyes have struggled in league play mired in 13th position after a promising start to the season, but make no mistake, they have some talented players and are capable of pulling an upset, especially if the Boilers aren't sharp and make some mistakes.

Purdue defeated Minnesota at home on Thursday night, 84-76 - erasing an eight-point halftime deficit.

Bruce Thornton leads Ohio State with 15.8 points and 4.2 assists per game. He has reached double figures in each of his last four games, including 24 against Maryland in Ohio States only recent win. Roddy Gayle Jr. can also provide production from the back-court and on the wing. He goes for 14.2 points and 4.3 assists per game. He is a talented guard but has been rather inconsistent in his sophomore season. The top shooter on the team is Jamison Battle, with 65 three-point FG's on the season on 43.0% shooting. He averages 13.7 points a contest. Felix Okpara is the main presence in the post - he averages 6.4 points and 6.7 rebounds a game. Zed Key, a former starter, will see action as well - he went scoreless against the Badgers in 13 minutes.

KenPom has Ohio State currently ranked 67th overall. They are 45th in offensive efficiency and 122nd in defensive efficiency. They play at a slower pace than Purdue coming out at 308th in the nation in pace of play.

Despite its conference record, Ohio State can be a more formidable opponent when they play well, especially at home. Expect a game effort on national television with a team perhaps reenergized from the coaching change. Diebler is a former player, himself, and the players should respond to him. Ohio State will likely look to control the pace and slow the game down and try to get in a possession battle with the Boilers.

Purdue does have an advantage in the front court. Though the Buckeyes don't have some of the ability up front like Minnesota, Okpara, Key, and Royal will battle Zach Edey in the paint. Now, Ohio State does match up well on the perimeter as Thornton, Gayle and Battle are a talented group that can hang with the Purdue guards. The Boilers will have their hands full and really need to avoid the careless turnovers. They'll also need a defensive effort more like the second half TH against Minnesota - force Ohio State into tough shots and keep an edge on the glass. If they do that, the Boilers should be in good shape.

I expect this will be a hard fought good competitive game.....none are easy, especially on the road, so the Boilers better be ready from the jump. Can they keep things on track toward a 10th straight victory? We shall see, starting in a couple hours or so.

Boiler up, my friends...

i
i
The little I've seen of OSU had everybody driving the ball. If that is typical of course containing the dribble is important, but can't help off of Battle. It has been said that the mental is 4:1 and so is OSU focused or distracted as each are possible. I think focused at least early. By all measures Purdue should win, but OSU has talent and like any team with talent, the talent can go off in a given game. Purdue gets this AND Michigan on the road with Rutgers at home and Purdue starts closing the door on the other team for another Big championship ring to add to Mason's treasures...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT